South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, here are three facts we can share with you:
    1-There are five coaches involved with the opening right now including one who would be considered a national level candidate. We don’t know his name. Hyman is waiting on a response from that coach before moving forward.
    2-Marshall is not a factor at this point.
    3-Hyman would like to complete the process before the Final Four.
    So, the search rolls into week number two and we really know about as much as we did one week ago, which isn’t much. The one thing we do know is Hyman is in complete control of this situation, and he’s intent on getting the basketball hire right…this time
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Sensing a replay of the trainwreck hiring processes at NCSU and Mizzou last season. Repeated overreaching by ADs followed by settling on candidate #6 in the end.

Worked out well in year one for both of those guys, but we'll see how they do with their own talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
        Illinois pressing hard for Smart

VCU's hot coaching prospect deliberating lucrative offer

By Shannon Ryan, Chicago Tribune reporter8:50 p.m. CDT, March 20, 2012

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0321-illinois-basketball--20120321,0,7149067.story

I'm more worried about FSU's coach Hamilton going to Illinois than Marshall going anywhere now. Great.
        Originally posted by BleacherReport
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by PlaneShocker View Post
          Shaka Smart declines Illinois Job
          Thanks Dofo!
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• VCU coach Shaka Smart turned down Illinois' offer to become its men's basketball coach, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

Smart, 34, had been Illinois' top choice to replace Bruce Weber, who was fired March 9.

The Sun-Times cited multiple anonymous sources saying Smart informed Illinois athletics director Mike Thomas of his decision.
            VCU announced later Wedneday that Smart will stay at the school next season. Smart said in the school's news release he is not pursuing any coaching offers.
            "I am very grateful for the support and belief in the coaching staff and basketball program that comes from the very top of our university's leadership -- President Rao, Athletic Director Norwood Teague and the VCU Board of Visitors -- as well as our phenomenal fans," Smart said in a statement. "There are great things to accomplish at VCU, and I'm looking forward to building on the successes of our program and university."

Pretty amazing given all this:

"In hopes of luring Smart, Illinois has guaranteed facility renovations, a long-term contract and a salary near the top of the Big Ten. His annual compensation would be comparable to that of Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, who makes more than $3 million per year according to USA Today salary reports.

Smart, who reportedly was on the road Tuesday recruiting in North Carolina for VCU, earned $1.285 million last season. His contract stipulates an $800,000 buyout if he leaves for another job before April 30.

The school that hires Smart must schedule a two-year home-and-home series with the Rams or pay them $250,000.

North Carolina State and Maryland tried to woo Smart away from VCU after last season's NCAA tournament.

Smart, who is from Madison, Wis., and spent time in Chicago with his grandfather, has ties to the Midwest and to Thomas. He worked as an assistant at Akron when Thomas served as its athletic director."

Comment

• I'd be suprised if HCGM turned that offer down.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• I'd be surprised if Shaka Smart turned that offer down.

Comment

• I'd be surprised if anyone turned that offer down.

They could buy one of these... :)

Check Out The New Victoria's Secret Bra Worth A Whopping $3 Million

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I wouldn't turn down THAT offer!!!
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                      Appears everyone is waiting for the Illinois outcome before the other domino's start falling.
                      Dofo has a new name?

Comment

• Good for Shaka Smart. Keep rocking at VCU for a few years and then ride in on a UNC, Duke, or whoever else when the elite coaches start retiring.
                        Originally posted by BleacherReport
                        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• What I see in Shakas current contract that absolutley NEEDS to be in any future HCGM contracts is that 800k buyout AND the the 2 year home and home series!

Comment

• What is Marshall's buyout?

Comment

• next to nothing. 350 or something

Comment

• Originally posted by Metalkatz View Post
                                What I see in Shakas current contract that absolutley NEEDS to be in any future HCGM contracts is that 800k buyout AND the the 2 year home and home series!
                                You do realize that Marshall would have to agree to that? Not going to happen without considerations in return.

Comment

Working...
                                X