Conference Shake Up 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEC says "no" to aTm.
    The Southeastern Conference is not extending an invitation to Texas A&M to become its 13th member, but isn't ruling out adding the Aggies in the future.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Haha.

That's the same as "While we were impressed with your credentials, we met with many qualified applicants and feel that our interests would best be fulfilled elsewhere."

Now aTm has less "hand" than they did before. They should have just shut up and known their role.
      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
        Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
        Dont be surprised to see Memphis work its way into the discussion also.

I can see them adding Houston, Tulsa, Memphis, and SMU.

That would leave CUSA looking for teams, but would we be interested, or would they be looking for teams with football to make up for all the teams they lost?
        Is CUSA attractive to us without Houston, Tulsa and Memphis? If CUSA lost them, the Valley may be a more attractive basketball conference at that point.
        Thats my question. I would say no. I think you will see faily soon the MW BB only conference made up of schools wanting to not have to worry anymore about the football shakeups.

Bradley, Creighton, Marquette, St. Louis, Wichita State, Notre Dame, Dayton, DePaul, Detroit, and Villanova.

Maybe dreaming a little, but Basketball wise would be a solid conference.

Comment

I just heard something interesting on ESPN radio.

The SEC had concerns that if the took Tex AM, it might cause the Big 12 to implode and that might cause Texas to go to the PAC 12.

They didn't want those 9 million Texas households to go to the PAC 12, even if they (SEC) gained access too.

Comment

Well, such is the press these days.
            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Dont be surprised to see Memphis work its way into the discussion also.

I can see them adding Houston, Tulsa, Memphis, and SMU.

That would leave CUSA looking for teams, but would we be interested, or would they be looking for teams with football to make up for all the teams they lost?
              Is CUSA attractive to us without Houston, Tulsa and Memphis? If CUSA lost them, the Valley may be a more attractive basketball conference at that point.
              Thats my question. I would say no. I think you will see faily soon the MW BB only conference made up of schools wanting to not have to worry anymore about the football shakeups.

Bradley, Creighton, Marquette, St. Louis, Wichita State, Notre Dame, Dayton, DePaul, Detroit, and Villanova.

Maybe dreaming a little, but Basketball wise would be a solid conference.
              Wait!!!!! I'm sure you didn't mean to leave off MSU! C'mon, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and p'unk. Geez, get with it.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Supposedly Rice, SMU, Tulane and Tulsa have a pact to stay together in the same conference regardless. We should be adding football and joining this pact for a CUSA 2.0 if the Big 12 does in fact blow up.

Wichita
                Tulsa
                SMU
                Tulane
                Rice
                Houston
                Memphis
                Baylor

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman
                  Supposedly Rice, SMU, Tulane and Tulsa have a pact to stay together in the same conference regardless. We should be adding football and joining this pact for a CUSA 2.0 if the Big 12 does in fact blow up.

Wichita
                  Tulsa
                  SMU
                  Tulane
                  Rice
                  Houston
                  Memphis
                  Baylor
                  That conference alignment would work for baseball, which has been missing in most of the realignment targets mentioned. You might want to add KSU and Iowa State.

Baylor is questionable because Texas politics keeps Baylor attached to UT. Unlike Kansas, the Texas legislature has no hesitation to get involved in college athletics.

All we've got to do is find a way to pull $30 - $50 mill out of a stagnant economy. I doubt the WSU athletic department would make a FB move without pledges in that range.

I suspect we could put 20K+ butts in seats for FB against that lineup. The 5 years in FCS before being a full member of a conference like that would probably fall short of putting 10K butts in seats.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

It may not be over yet for aTm & the SEC.

A&M will announce move in 21 days

Despite false starts and speculation in both the affirmative and to the contrary, the Aggies heading to the SEC may yet happen. A source locked into Texas A&M's situation said the Aggies will be announced as members of the Southeastern Conference beginning in 2012 within 21 days. "Texas A&M wants the SEC, and the SEC wants Texas A&M," the source said. The SEC presidents met Sunday and decided to take no action on Texas A&M but certainly left the door open. "We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion," said Florida president Bernie Machen. ... The A&M source said the process to complete A&M's move from the Big 12 to the SEC was always expected to take two to three weeks. That process continues uninterrupted, the source said.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
                      Haha.

That's the same as "While we were impressed with your credentials, we met with many qualified applicants and feel that our interests would best be fulfilled elsewhere."

Now aTm has less "hand" than they did before. They should have just shut up and known their role.
                      Maybe.

I think the SEC's announcement is more along the lines of avoiding a lawsuit for tortious interference.

Comment

Does the SEC have a 2nd team lined up yet? There has been a lot of speculation but if they're going to add 1, and 2nd will be added as well. Maybe the SEC is trying to finalize a 2nd team before announcing their intentions. Personally, I'd love to see Mizzou go with aTm just to watch the chaos that would ensue. Although, I'd guess if/when they add aTm they'd prefer to add one to the East.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Does the SEC have a 2nd team lined up yet? There has been a lot of speculation but if they're going to add 1, and 2nd will be added as well. Maybe the SEC is trying to finalize a 2nd team before announcing their intentions. Personally, I'd love to see Mizzou go with aTm just to watch the chaos that would ensue. Although, I'd guess if/when they add aTm they'd prefer to add one to the East.
                          I believe there were talks between Florida State and the SEC.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

If they are just adding 2 teams, they will not be adding another B12 team if A&M is the team. They will not shake up divisions to add teams. Look for them to add an east coast team, to add to the east division. The only way Mizzou makes it to the SEC is if they add 4 teams, and I still don't know if they'd take Mizzou. It would more than likely be one of the oklahoma teams.
                            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Didn't FSU come out and say there has been ZERO discussion? I know rumors have involved FSU and Clemson.

I'm not sure 0U wants to seperate from UT. Would OSU be more attractive than MU? I'm not 100% sure about that.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Didn't FSU come out and say there has been ZERO discussion? I know rumors have involved FSU and Clemson.
                                yes, all other schools released statements saying they were not in or had not been in discussions.

It seems that Gov. Perry comments started the ball rolling for A&M prematurely and A&M and SEC were not ready for it. But, the B12 needs to really decide if they are just going to be a holding conference to be leached off by the Super Conferences, or do they want to become a super conference. And if so they need to make so bold moves to shore up the conference really soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X