No announcement yet.

Conference Shake Up 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the B12 will just continue as the B9. Until the next school bolts.

Missouri has shown clear signs of wanting out. KU was rumored to be courting the BEast last year. The BEast is actually a better fit for KU, excluding geography.

KSU and ISU will cling to the cash flow UT and OU generate as long as there's breath in that connection.

That leads to some interesting speculation. The BEast could just up and poach UM and KU pretty easily. That could lead to a split in the FB and non-FB schools in the BEast - and making two conferences out of that. Then it gets real interesting for the non-FB schools in the Valley.

Edit: Just after I hit "Submit" it occurred to me that if it gets interesting for the non-FB Vlley schools, it gets even more interesting for the MVC FB schools. The Valley would be in bad shape if it lost any of the non-FB schools.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I think it's very probable that if the Big East adds more football schools, that their non-football schools might very well start a new league.

However, them courting Valley schools will be secondary. Think Xavier, Butler, Temple, ODU, GM, Richmond, VCU first and allowing those who play football to continue that one sport in another conference.

Comment

The source said Clemson, Florida State and Missouri were also "likely to join."

Comment

Rumors now that Mizzou is going to the SEC too.

I think this is an opportunity for WSU.

Comment

There's certainly an opportunity for the Midwest basketball schools to get together and make a great conference. We will see.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

What would that opportunity be?

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
                Originally posted by ABC

Without football, there isn't much
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                  Originally posted by Ta town
                  Originally posted by ABC

Without football, there isn't much
                  Exactly, WSU's "option" is sitting around. Without football there is absolutely nothing WSU can do from it's standpoint. Some fear putting resources into football will ruin other shocker athletics. I fear not having football will eventually mean shocker athletics at something other than the highest level.

Comment

There was a lot of talk in the PAC about getting OU and OSU but UA and ASU would be opposed to that. That would mean UA and ASU would be in the eastern conference and no longer playing USC and UCLA every year. LA is too fertile of recruiting ground for the Arizona schools for them to be in favor of not playing the LA schools every year.

Comment

There are Conf USA and Big East schools that don't play football.

Most of the Atlantic 10 schools don't play Division 1 football. Is Temple the only one?

There is an opportunity.

While football drives the train, the non-revenue teams have to play someone.

There are lots and lots of great athletic programs that don't play Division 1 football.

I can envision a Big 12 for example that has 8 football programs and four that don't play football.

Comment

"Big Eight" has a familiar ring.

One option for WSU is to get on the phone and see if Texas, uh, I mean, the Big Eight has any interest in a basketball-only school. Texas might not mind a revenue split with a school that didn't want any of their FB money.

Another option is to start becoming very friendly with the AD's of every basketball-only school in the nation.

Diplomacy and politics are supposed to be ADES's strong points. There is no better time to start using those skills.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

How many non-football schools are located in the midwest that would be a benefit to be attached too? Say the Big 12 schools remaining wanted to stay in the midwest and ended up with 8 football schools. KU, Texas, OSU, ISU, Tech, Baylor, KSU and Houston. Would it be possible to throw in WSU and CU? Who would be the other two? I can't think of any schools in the area that would be "worthy" of inclusion for basketball that doesn't play football.

They'd probably be better off trying to take Tulsa from CUSA and adding one more football playing school.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Tulsa and Houston would be the way to go.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Dont be surprised to see Memphis work its way into the discussion also.

I can see them adding Houston, Tulsa, Memphis, and SMU.

That would leave CUSA looking for teams, but would we be interested, or would they be looking for teams with football to make up for all the teams they lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                                Dont be surprised to see Memphis work its way into the discussion also.

I can see them adding Houston, Tulsa, Memphis, and SMU.

That would leave CUSA looking for teams, but would we be interested, or would they be looking for teams with football to make up for all the teams they lost?
                                Is CUSA attractive to us without Houston, Tulsa and Memphis? If CUSA lost them, the Valley may be a more attractive basketball conference at that point.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X