American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Maybe it's also about the Presidents of the Big12 trying to align themselves with "better" Universities. Then crappy little commuter schools like WSU and Memphis can muddle through it together while Rice and Texas sip tea and swirl Cognac.
    I've been hearing for a long time from folks who work in athletics that Tulane would be a likely BigXII candidate. My understanding is that it's not about "better" as much as it is aligning and associating with institutions that have similar academic and cultural missions and goals. That's why the success of the Innovation Campus is so important to WSU's realignment goals. The heights to which you can elevate your academic and research profile -- as much or more than the quality of your athletics -- plays a role in determining which conference doors open up. It's not the only factor, but it is one that's highly valued by the college presidents who ultimately make the decisions.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• If your name begins with "City" and ends with "State" you are not gettng in. Likewise, if you have a compass direction. Double down if you have two compass directions. Changing your name doesn't matter, I am looking at you South West Missouri State.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• We are moving toward a 64 team collegiate league, separate from the NCAA, ostensibly built on football, but will encompass the other sports as well. Much like the NBA does with the WNBA, the networks will be forced to buy mens and womens olympic sports as part of the package for football and basketball. Essentially eliminating time slots available for NCAA sports. The WSU's and Gonzagas of the world will be little different from DII schools. Once football implodes under the growing weight of the long term danger to its participants, the infrastructure will be in place for the new league to supply lacrosse, rugby or soccer in those slots. That is if the players don't unionize and bankrupt the system first. On some levels, not a bad thing as most student athletes in the country would revert to the student first model.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Rice and Tulane may have med schools or other academic pluses but Rice enrollment is 6,000 and Tulane is 13,000 so they may have some similarities but differences are prevalent too. This imo will not happen.

Comment

• Houston made a strong case today.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
              Houston made a strong case today.
              Yeah Houston and Cincy make the most sense. BYU would be a good choice too...but Houston and Cincy is what I'm feeling.
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Well B12 probably doesn't want Houston now.

Comment

• Houston beating OU is glorious

Comment

• We could beat Florida Atlantic, wait, we DON'T have a football team. Posing the question, could intra-mural team beat MO.ST. ?
                    For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                    - said no one ever...

Comment

• I'm enjoying watching South Dakota State and UNI go toe-to-toe with Big XII schools right now...just saying.

Although this is the last game of the season I will watch for either of these teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                        I'm enjoying watching South Dakota State and UNI go toe-to-toe with Big XII schools right now...just saying.

Although this is the last game of the season I will watch for either of these teams.
                        UNI just scored with about 2:00 to go and took a 25-20 lead on Iowa State. Might actually win it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                          UNI just scored with about 2:00 to go and took a 25-20 lead on Iowa State. Might actually win it.
                          I'm pretty sure that's three wins for UNI in the past five meetings between UNI and ISU.

Comment

• After yesterday it's looking like Houston and UNI will get the big 12 invites if they want to strengthen the conference.

Comment

After yesterday it's looking like Houston and UNI will get the big 12 invites if they want to strengthen the conference.
                              That's funny! I was at the Nebraska game yesterday, people were following the UNI score closer than any other. I don't know why Iowa State can't put together a competitive football team, but they just can't. On a positive note, KU chalked up a win, so the Big 12 has that going for them, which is nice. If Texas doesn't beat the Domer's, it could be a very long Big 12 season.
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

After yesterday it's looking like Houston and UNI will get the big 12 invites if they want to strengthen the conference.
                                So you're saying the 'Coogs are the best team you've never heard of. I like that! :)

U of H is a well-kept secret outside Houston.

Also note that there were 80K fans at the stadium yesterday (the game was at NRG, where the Super Bowl will be held in February) and most people of them were U of H fans.

They're getting in on a LOT of 4 and 5 star kids from the Houston area. That's why Mike Gundy is bitching. If he doesn't recruit Houston or Dallas well, he's toast.

Houston has the opportunity to put together a Miami-like run.

This is what happens when you have a good recruiting base of over 6 million people in your back yard.

Plus, I really like Coach Herman. He reminds me of HCGM.

I'm hoping the 'Coogs win out and make the playoffs. Shocker fandom certainly understands the value of rooting for the little guy, especially when they stick it to the elite P-5 programs.....
                                Last edited by shocka khan; September 4, 2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X