No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the referenced article (http://newsok.com/tramel-merger-with...rticle/5513732):

Texas will go anywhere they can bring Bevo TV along with them
    Which means Texas can't go anywhere.

So, then does OU make the UT/OU rivalry a non-con game and jump to the SEC? Or does the B12 survive because No one wants Texas? The expansion options for the B12 seem unlikely to bring in as much extra revenue as the added schools would take by getting a conference share. Expansion looks like it would dilute revenues of the current members

The B12 appears to be stuck with a product declining in value and interest, with the exception of OU and Texas. WSU appears to be stuck in a league going the same route.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      From the referenced article (http://newsok.com/tramel-merger-with...rticle/5513732):

Which means Texas can't go anywhere.

So, then does OU make the UT/OU rivalry a non-con game and jump to the SEC? Or does the B12 survive because No one wants Texas? The expansion options for the B12 seem unlikely to bring in as much extra revenue as the added schools would take by getting a conference share. Expansion looks like it would dilute revenues of the current members

The B12 appears to be stuck with a product declining in value and interest, with the exception of OU and Texas. WSU appears to be stuck in a league going the same route.
      The Big 12 is just screwed. Just two schools worth anything and a bunch of hanger on'ers. Not a recipie for success.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Not a good sign if he's waiting to see what happens with the Big 12. Even if they add schools there's a chance that conference implodes shortly after.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
            Not a good sign if he's waiting to see what happens with the Big 12. Even if they add schools there's a chance that conference implodes shortly after.
            That is kind of the point of waiting isn't it? To see where the dust settles. What may seem like a good choice today may not look like such a great choice in the not too distant future. I think some patience here is not unwarranted.

Comment

• ESPN reporting Big12 down to 12 options, with Memphis unknown if they are included or not.

8 of the 12 are AAC teams plus BYU, CSU, Air Force and Rice.

I would say this is good news for WSU athletics.

Comment

• Ignorant question from someone who hasn't paid a great deal of attention to the realignment topic-

The MWC has 11 members plus one football only member. If memory serves, the conference announced they weren't looking to add a non-football member. Even though that would put them at an even 12 in all the major sports, they weren't interested. If they lose CSU, that puts them at 10 for everything but football, and 11 for football. At that point, to me, it seems like they're interested in one of two things (in this order): (1) adding a football only school or (2) adding a school with everything.

Here's the question: from my perspective, it seems like we would actually have a better chance to join the MWC if they keep all of their current members. Why would they add us if they lose a football school?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  ESPN reporting Big12 down to 12 options, with Memphis unknown if they are included or not.

I'm a little surprised that the best football school among their 17 original choices (and the best non-P5/independent football) Boise St is not in the mix particularly since BYU is in the mix and would make 2 schools "out west". If they go to 4 new teams and choose more than 2 AAC teams (worse picking 4 AAC teams) would make the left over AAC that big of improvement. Taking more of the western than eastern AAC schools makes it less attractive as well, not saying I wouldn't jump at it for WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    ESPN reporting Big12 down to 12 options, with Memphis unknown if they are included or not.

I'm also a bit ignorant and wonder why this is a good thing for WSU? Does it hint at an inevitable AAC implosion, resulting in a possible new conference that we could get into?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                      I'm also a bit ignorant and wonder why this is a good thing for WSU? Does it hint at an inevitable AAC implosion, resulting in a possible new conference that we could get into?
                      Maybe there is more to this but, really movement is good for WSU regardless. Before, everyone was holding pat because everything seemed stable. With movement maybe the AAC or MWC gets inclined to make moves themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                        Even if there is upheaval in the AAC, wouldn't they just add good programs from the Valley, CUSA, MAC, etc...

Either way, it's a better situation than the Valley.
                        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                        -John Wooden

Comment

• list of 11 finalists for Big 12 expansion:

AF BYU UCF Cincinnati UConn CSU UH Rice USF SMU Tulane

Surprisingly MO ST, Ark St, and Memphis did not make the list.

Memphis, once considered a viable Big 12 expansion candidate in part because of its backing by FedEx, is not among the schools being considered by the conference, sources told ESPN.
                          Last edited by Shocker-maniac; September 2, 2016, 05:55 PM.
                          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                            list of 11 finalists for Big 12 expansion:

AF BYU UCF Cincinnati UConn CSU UH Rice USF SMU Tulane

Surprisingly MO ST, Ark St, and Memphis did not make the list.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...sion-candidate
                            Were Rice and Tulane kept on the list as the token high brow privates in order to appease the feelings of the old money types? They don't make any sense otherwise, especially Rice. Neither of them have any better shot, ultimately, at the B12 than Arky State or Northern Illinois did.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                              Were Rice and Tulane kept on the list as the token high brow privates in order to appease the feelings of the old money types? They don't make any sense otherwise, especially Rice. Neither of them have any better shot, ultimately, at the B12 than Arky State or Northern Illinois did.
                              Maybe it's also about the Presidents of the Big12 trying to align themselves with "better" Universities. Then crappy little commuter schools like WSU and Memphis can muddle through it together while Rice and Texas sip tea and swirl Cognac.

Which, by the way, is just flipping fine with me.

Comment

• My greatest fear is that if this topic does not end soon, it may go on forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X