American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
    I don't think there's that many alumni in Houston from B1G schools. At least not enough to boost viewership significantly.

And that article you linked?

"Saturday’s noon ET games, which featured Indiana at Ohio State and Rutgers at Michigan State, averaged a 3.0 HH rating in the network’s 12 metered markets.* Most notably, the games in Columbus earned a 27.0 HH rating, in Dayton, 13.9, Cleveland, 12.1 and in Detroit, 6.5. BTN’s afternoon game, Maryland at Michigan, delivered a 2.0 HH rating, with Detroit leading all the network’s metered markets with a 10.3 HH rating, followed by Columbus at 9.5. - See more at: http://btn.com/2014/11/24/big-ten-network-attracts-highest-viewership-ever/#sthash.FPvMrxeu.dpuf"

So where are all the TV's in Phoenix, Tucson, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio? Oh yes, absolutely NONE of them on a list with Dayton, Detroit, Cleveland or Columbus.
    Don't dig. Just don't. If you read, not just here, but anywhere realignment is discussed, the B1G is on the cusp of signing the largest tv deal of any conference. It will be huge. Chip Brown even speaks of it. Dying conferences don't get that money. Dying conferences speak of adding Houston.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      Don't dig. Just don't. If you read, not just here, but anywhere realignment is discussed, the B1G is on the cusp of signing the largest tv deal of any conference. It will be huge. Chip Brown even speaks of it. Dying conferences don't get that money. Dying conferences speak of adding Houston.
      What is a conference considered if they'd die to have Houston in it? I'd like Houston in the MVC.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
        What is a conference considered if they'd die to have Houston in it? I'd like Houston in the MVC.
        Not if you saw Hoffheinz Pavilion. It's a dump. The only thing I can say positive about it is that they sell beer there.

Comment

UH would actually lower the MVC's average attendance, and be ranked middle of the road at best in MBB budget.

Besides, they draw Houston about like LOLoyola "draws" Chicago.

Comment

Don't disagree about the B12, they're in sad shape, mostly because no one trusts Texas. They're the tail that wags the dog. And they'll be that in any P4 conference they go to. Too many alums thinking they're all that and more, an endowment fund that is second only to Harvard and wealthy alums showering money on their underperforming athletic programs.

As far as the B1G signing a big money deal, it could turn out like the Big Least and fox network if Rutgers can't upgrade their sports. I'm just not convinced that adding Rutgers is going to translate into a bonanza for the B1G. Maybe on the next TV contract, but when the TV execs see they're not getting any TV's in the NYC market that may change when the execs don't see ratings numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
              UH would actually lower the MVC's average attendance, and be ranked middle of the road at best in MBB budget.

Besides, they draw Houston about like LOLoyola "draws" Chicago.
              I'd trade Bradley for Houston in a heartbeat.
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• I am so glad we have an authority on KU athletic department finances on this board. My ignorance about the history of KU's athletic department funding led me to believe the "Williamd" fund was named after Roy. I do know he raised holy hell when he thought too much money from the Williams fund was going to football.

It's great to have KU fans on here to correct any inaccuracies about KU. Correcting inaccuracies about WSU on phog.net is hopeless, but WSU fans seem to have rather higher standardes of decorum than KU fans.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Houston would be great in the Valley. Houston would be great in the NBE and MWC. Not great in a P-5, football first, 80,000 seat football stadium, conference. If you are trying to shore up your P-5 conference with Houston, it's time to give up.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• There's also an odd little twist in Texas politics. Baylor is well-connected politically and wants to tag along with any conference move Texas makes. That's supposed to be how Baylor ended up in the B12.

Then there's another political contingent in Texas that doesn't want to see Texas Tech left out of any conference moves. There were some rumblings that the Pac-12 wanted Texas back in 2010 (and Texas wanted the Pac-12), but that move was going to be blocked by Texas politics unless Tech also got an invite, and the Pac-12 didn't want Tech.

There's more than one interpretation of "Don't Mess With Texas". That place is a political quagmire.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Signman View Post
                      Could this be a misprint for Debt not Dept?
                      I really have no clue. Your guess is as good as mine.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                        There's also an odd little twist in Texas politics. Baylor is well-connected politically and wants to tag along with any conference move Texas makes. That's supposed to be how Baylor ended up in the B12.

Then there's another political contingent in Texas that doesn't want to see Texas Tech left out of any conference moves. There were some rumblings that the Pac-12 wanted Texas back in 2010 (and Texas wanted the Pac-12), but that move was going to be blocked by Texas politics unless Tech also got an invite, and the Pac-12 didn't want Tech.

There's more than one interpretation of "Don't Mess With Texas". That place is a political quagmire.
                        True.

But maybe that lost traction when a&m gave the rest of the Texas schools the middle finger.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                          I don't understand Cincinati and I don't understand Baylor. If Anne Richards hadn't been governor when the SWC imploded, Baylor would have been in the MwC. I would understand TTech or West Virginia much quicker. If Baylor loses Art Briles, they'll be back to what they were after Grant Teaff left. And, IIRC, they have never won a B12 title in FB and only 1 in the old SwC.

Cincinati isn't noted in any sports since Huggie left.

The only way that scenario playing out totally would be if the MoValleyJohn theory came into play - namely that the new P4 would want a couple of doormats as throw-ins. Then they could get the king of the fb doormats in Kansas.
                          Cincinnati has the tenth best football winning percentage since 2007 (.721%) in college football; have been to eight straight bowl games since 2007; and, have won Conference Championships in the AAC (2014) and Big East (2012, 2011, 2009, and 2008).

Baylor is preferred by TAMU for inclusion in the SEC (so informs my son who is an Aggie). Baylor has successful athletic programs, is a well funded private school and, after Texas, the highest ranked academic school (#71 in the US) in the Big 12.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                            Cincinnati has the tenth best football winning percentage since 2007 (.721%) in college football; have been to eight straight bowl games since 2007; and, have won Conference Championships in the AAC (2014) and Big East (2012, 2011, 2009, and 2008).
                            Plus, all Bearcat games are on WKRP!

Comment

Plus, all Bearcat games are on WKRP!
                              Les "Oh The Humanity" Nessman with the call of the game and Dr. Johnny Fever with the color commentary.

Comment

• So where does Jennifer figure into the broadcast?

Comment

Working...
                                X