American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    I'm trying not to sound like I'm trying to flame the thread, I'm not, I avoid this stuff on Shocker net on purpose. That said, just this once, I will give you a reason for the Big East, fan experience.

If you would rather pay to see Indiana State, Evansville and Drake, rather than Xavier, Butler and Georgetown, be my guest. I will tell you this, not getting to see Wichita State play in person every year, sucks, but not playing Missouri State, doesn't.

Personally, I don't care if 60 or 60,000,000 people watch the game, selfishly, I only care if I can watch it on my tv. I only care that I can watch what I want to watch and I only care that if I pay to see something in person, I will be entertained. Outside of seeing Wichita State play, every other team in the Big East plays more entertaining basketball than what you see in the Valley.

Selfishly, I truly want the Shockers in the Big East. Unfortunately, probably isn't going to happen.
    Thank you for sharing. Creighton had a great run of years for the past 15-20. They were a major MVC player when our conference was not good, and they became a national player for several years although their NCAA Tourney appearances were lame. If we are honest, while you don't mind not seeing Missouri State any longer, Creighton, while probably being good enough to compete for a top five finish in MVC currently, is no longer a national player. The fans are thrilled just to be a member of a good conference even though they are not competitive and consistently lose. In my opinion, they are currently in the same class with Northwestern, Washington State, Oregon State, Texas Tech, and maybe Penn State. Yet they still act like they would be doing the Shockers an RPI favor if they would agree to play us. They are delusional. Thank Goodness you aren't. While I would like to be in a nicer conference like Creighton, we are in a better place than they are whatever conference we are in. Good Luck. MVJ and I hope that your other teams win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
      I have four million reasons.

If WSU joined the Big East next season, our basketball program would have an extra $40 million over the next decade than we will have remaining in the Valley.

I'd want WSU to join a conference filled with for-profit online schools with a conference tournament in Iraq if it gave us $4 million a year in TV revenue, six top 50 RPI conference opponents, and not one conference team out of the top 200 RPI. Thrash those University of Phoenix ... umm ... Phoenixes. Phoenixi? Phoeni. Phoenises ...
      While the BE money is better, with every team they add, they have to split that pie an extra way...a fact they seem clearly aware of...I like the ESPN exposure in the AAC, plus our 'look in period' with our ESPN contract is in 1 year...I'd love to have Navy football and WSU basketball as a place to start in contract negotiations.

I also don't see a public school being added to the BE.

Comment

• Clearing up misconceptions on this page:

-- Big East contract with Fox is for 12 years. 10 years left. $ is guaranteed and not tied to ratings. No breach of contract for low ratings.
        -- Big East presidents have final say on adding new members. Fox has a "consulting role". Open to interpretation as to what that means.
        -- No intent at this time to add teams in the immediate future.
        -- If new teams are added, the money pie is NOT divided into smaller pieces. Fox will add to the pie proportionate to the number of teams added.
        -- Creighton does consistently lose but is not "not competitive." Defeated Xavier on road and St. John's. Had 8 Big East losses where they led in the final minute, including Villanova, Xavier, Butler twice. Win 6 of those 8 instead of losing all 8 and they're an NCAA team at 20-13 given the strength of the league.

Additionally:

-- No doubt WSU has the stronger team than Creighton right now. Creighton's AD said that verbatim yesterday and said that Creighton doesn't see themselves as better than WSU. Said CU intends to resume the series after a few years of Creighton trying to use their new status to schedule teams for home-and-home that previously wouldn't play them. (Contrast that honesty to Kansas, who just tries to ignore the Shockers.)

-- Creighton is not only getting ~$4M annually from TV but Big East is racking up quite a few NCAA tournament credits, which are paid out over 6 years, so there's a double financial benefit to joining a stronger conference. (Unlike the MVC, the BE money is not shared equally... teams that actually get in the tourney and win get to keep a higher percentage of the conference pot. But Creighton will still make more as a BE non-participant than as an MVC participant due to the sheer volume of tourney credits.)

Good luck vs. Kansas. Glad they are finally forced to play you and hope your team can play its best when it matters most.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
          Clearing up misconceptions on this page:

-- Big East contract with Fox is for 12 years. 10 years left. $ is guaranteed and not tied to ratings. No breach of contract for low ratings.
          -- Big East presidents have final say on adding new members. Fox has a "consulting role". Open to interpretation as to what that means.
          -- No intent at this time to add teams in the immediate future.
          -- If new teams are added, the money pie is NOT divided into smaller pieces. Fox will add to the pie proportionate to the number of teams added.
          -- Creighton does consistently lose but is not "not competitive." Defeated Xavier on road and St. John's. Had 8 Big East losses where they led in the final minute, including Villanova, Xavier, Butler twice. Win 6 of those 8 instead of losing all 8 and they're an NCAA team at 20-13 given the strength of the league.

Additionally:

-- No doubt WSU has the stronger team than Creighton right now. Creighton's AD said that verbatim yesterday and said that Creighton doesn't see themselves as better than WSU. Said CU intends to resume the series after a few years of Creighton trying to use their new status to schedule teams for home-and-home that previously wouldn't play them. (Contrast that honesty to Kansas, who just tries to ignore the Shockers.)

-- Creighton is not only getting ~$4M annually from TV but Big East is racking up quite a few NCAA tournament credits, which are paid out over 6 years, so there's a double financial benefit to joining a stronger conference. (Unlike the MVC, the BE money is not shared equally... teams that actually get in the tourney and win get to keep a higher percentage of the conference pot. But Creighton will still make more as a BE non-participant than as an MVC participant due to the sheer volume of tourney credits.)

Good luck vs. Kansas. Glad they are finally forced to play you and hope your team can play its best when it matters most.
          I'd love to get that series started up. It would be nice to play a team that my fellow Shocker fans and I love to hate. ISUR is just no fun anymore.
          Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• MVC has expressed interest in UAB:

With the season done and no more games to draw his focus, the UAB coach said determining where the Blazers will play "is the No. 1 thing on my mind."

There has been some interest in and from the Missouri Valley Conference, which would be a quality landing spot if UAB moves forward without football, but how long would any conference wait to adjust its roster for next season?

Comment

• Yes please.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
                Is this actually written into the contract, or just an assumption?

If that's in the contract, it's AMAZING how badly Fox negotiated this contract. They gave the Big East EVERYTHING.
                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  What are the chances the MVC goes to 11 teams? More or less than zero?

If that's a serious discussion, either another team we don't know about is involved to get to 12, or someone's leaving.
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

If that's a serious discussion, either another team we don't know about is involved to get to 12, or someone's leaving.
                    I think it depends on their level of confidence that they can add a 12th team (or lose one) over the next few years.

Comment

I want UAB, Tulsa, Memphis and Murray State.

Fine. Keep the MVC towards the East but maybe let's bump it down south a bit.

Comment

I think it depends on their level of confidence that they can add a 12th team (or lose one) over the next few years.
                        If we're discussing things with UAB, I would think that's looking at an almost immediate add: either next year or the year after.

Either CUSA is going to kick UAB out without football or they're not. I don't think they're going to let them stay in CUSA for the next two years and then kick them out. It's ridiculous that they haven't made a decision yet as it is. I'd guess they're likely trying to see who they can replace UAB with, and leaving them hanging in the wind until they can find someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post

I want UAB and WSU to join the A10, and use the additions to negotiate a new TV deal.

Comment

If we're discussing things with UAB, I would think that's looking at an almost immediate add: either next year or the year after.

Either CUSA is going to kick UAB out without football or they're not. I don't think they're going to let them stay in CUSA for the next two years and then kick them out. It's ridiculous that they haven't made a decision yet as it is. I'd guess they're likely trying to see who they can replace UAB with, and leaving them hanging in the wind until they can find someone.
                            I just hope the MVC isn't afraid of adding a quality program just because it will put us at 11. Get UAB, then worry about the scheduling situation. But I have to believe they've had feelers out after the process of adding Loyola and just being prepared.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post

Mentioning Tulsa and Memphis in the same breath is kind of a non-starter, you realize. The only way we are common conference members is if we move up.

We could've had Murray in the MVC the last go 'round. Instead, we floated out a life raft to a catholic school who might be better off playing D2 sports.

Comment

I just hope the MVC isn't afraid of adding a quality program just because it will put us at 11. Get UAB, then worry about the scheduling situation. But I have to believe they've had feelers out after the process of adding Loyola and just being prepared.
                                You have more confidence in the MVC than I do.

IMO, the MVC doesn't want to go beyond 10 members, and 90% of the Valley would be taking a bus to Alabama. Even having serious discussions with UAB surprises me.

Comment

Working...
                                X