American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    For the millionth time, Elgin does not decide who gets added to the Valley. That is a decision made by university presidents. If they can be convinced the Valley should move to 12 teams, make a move for UAB and a private school in geographic proximity, preferably with a solid basketball program, such as Belmont.

And forget about kicking an existing member out. That isn't going to happen. When is the last time a school was booted from a league for any reason than the school no longer meeting league requirements?
    Temple with Big East football, but you are right that performance is a rare measuring stick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      Seeing scuttlebutt of A-10 looking at adding 2.

Of course just rumors.
      Who are the possibilities?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        Who are the possibilities?
        Missouri State?

Or were they in talks with the SEC? Damn, I get so confused.

Comment

• Should I just go ahead and prepare myself to watch the A10, Horizon and WCC add all the newly available post-football schools? Should I just get my mind ready to watch the MVC stay right how it is while these opportunities pass us by? I think so. It will hurt a lot less if I just try to laugh about it ahead of time...

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
            Missouri State?

Or were they in talks with the SEC? Damn, I get so confused.
            I thought MSU was taking UAB's place in CUSA assuming UAB does, in fact, drop football as is rumored.

If MSU is serious about moving up to FBS football they should go after the UAB Coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              I thought MSU was taking UAB's place in CUSA assuming UAB does, in fact, drop football as is rumored.
              I was just being sarcastic. The quandary of where MSU thinks they sit in the world of college athletics, versus where they actually do. Did you have the kiddie table at Thanksgiving and Christmas at your family gatherings growing up? Yeah, kind of like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                I was just being sarcastic.
                As was I.

Comment

• I went over to the UAB board and it's understandably in melt-down mode. But I was a little shocked to read comments from a significant number of posters that if football is dropped they will no longer donate, support or send their kids to UAB.

All over a game. Were WSU fans talking that way in '85? It seems to me a priority check is in serious order for a number of UAB fans/alumni.

Comment

• Its in the South and football is a religion. So I can see a bunch of them being upset.

Comment

• If our success continues, the Big East, AAC, Mountain West, or A-10 are all in our future. While all three aren't ideal geographically, they are far superior basketball wise. With all this talk about expansion, no way WSU isn't on the top of these conferences lists for prospective schools.

Only question I have, do ya'll think the Big East would consider a public school like WSU? Moving there would be my first choice because of the renewed rivalry with Creighton. However traveling to the west coast to visit many of the Mountain West schools would be a lot of fun too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manhattan_Shocker View Post
                        If our success continues, the Big East, AAC, Mountain West, or A-10 are all in our future. While all three aren't ideal geographically, they are far superior basketball wise. With all this talk about expansion, no way WSU isn't on the top of these conferences lists for prospective schools.

Only question I have, do ya'll think the Big East would consider a public school like WSU? Moving there would be my first choice because of the renewed rivalry with Creighton. However traveling to the west coast to visit many of the Mountain West schools would be a lot of fun too.
                        I have a good feeling we can plan to be let down on some level. I'm not getting my hopes up. I can see lots of scenarios but the A-10, and MVC are the two conferences that don't have football issues and aren't also catholic private schools. Having the MVC beef itself up makes the most sense to me and that's why I get scared. I think the MVC will fail to do that. This conference can be relevant if it will shift its paradigm a little bit. We are also a small conference that has lots of room for new friends. We are even centrally located so we can take on almost anyone and still be reasonably "geographic."

I actually think the MVC is one of the conferences that is poised and well positioned for what is about to happen if we will just let it happen.

Don't fail me, MVC
                        Last edited by Dave Stalwart; December 2, 2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Here is the official announcement from UAB's president:

Dear UAB Family,

More than a year ago, UAB began the largest, most comprehensive strategic planning process in the university's history. Designed to identify areas of excellence and set priorities for investment and growth, this strategic review has empowered leaders across campus to think critically about how to best invest resources and position UAB as a premier and sustainable institution for the future.

Today, we announced results of the Athletic Department's strategic planning process. In order for us to more effectively reinvest in athletic programs that are most likely to bring growth, prolonged success and national prominence to UAB, the 2014-2015 academic year will be the final season for UAB football, bowling and rifle.

After an extensive review of current and future financial data, it became clear that, despite noteworthy success this season under Coach Bill Clark, investments in football were unlikely to produce a sustainable return relative to the required investment. This is especially the case with the rapidly evolving NCAA landscape and the soaring costs associated with maintaining a competitive team.

UAB already subsidizes $20 million of the roughly $30 million annual Athletic Department budget, which is the fifth-largest budget and subsidy in Conference USA. We will continue to support Athletics at this level, which amounts to an institutional investment of at least $100 million over the next five years. According to expert analysis by CarrSports Consulting, UAB would have to substantially increase our operating budget and our capital investments in facilities to support an Athletic Department that fields a competitive Conference USA football team.

The difference between our future Athletic Department with and without football is an additional $49 million investment on top of the $100 million UAB will already invest in Athletics in the next five years. From an operating budget standpoint alone, the difference between the scenario in which we maintain a competitive Conference USA football program and eliminate it is more than $27 million over the next five years. This does not include additional needed capital investments of $22 million for football facilities alone. These capital projects would include a field house, an indoor practice facility and a turf field, but not a stadium.

We have considered many options to fill this financial gap, including through philanthropic support; but our informed analysis of current and past support and interest concluded that the gap is simply too wide.

It would be fiscally irresponsible and virtually impossible to keep pace with these growing financial demands without sacrificing the financial health and sustainability of Athletics, or redirecting funds from other critical areas of importance, like education, research, patient care or student services.

This decision is not about cutting the Athletics budget, but instead is about reallocating resources to more fully support and reinvest in athletic programs in which we have an opportunity to achieve a high level of success. Many of our programs have been on the cusp, and redirecting funds from football can propel them to the next level.

With this strategy, I am confident that UAB's best days for Athletics are ahead. But the coming days and months will be difficult for those most affected. We couldn't be more proud of how well our student-athletes and coaches have represented the institution, even in the midst of recent, very regrettable distractions. They have earned our respect and appreciation, which makes this necessary financial decision all the more difficult.

I have met with impacted student-athletes and coaches, and will meet with others affected. It is my top priority to make this transition as easy as possible. We will honor scholarships for those who choose to stay at UAB beyond this season, and we will honor coaches' contracts. When a program is discontinued, per NCAA bylaws, players who decide to leave UAB to play elsewhere will not be required to sit out of competition the following season.

To those who are losing something they hold dear with this decision, I am truly sorry. I know many are saddened by this news. As a Birmingham native, a sports fan, and a UAB graduate who loves this university and its people, I am among those disappointed in the necessity of this decision. While it is the right one for the financial future of UAB Athletics and UAB as a whole, it is an agonizing one to make.

I know many will be interested in following developments during this transition. For more information, and updates as they become available, I encourage you to visit http://www.uab.edu/athleticsplan.

Very sincerely,

Ray L. Watts

Ray L. Watts
                          President
                          UAB '76

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            Here is the official announcement from UAB's president:
                            I'd be curious to read the announcement from 1987 in regards to Shocker Football. Anyone have a source?

Comment

• CarrSports Consulting? Hmm... seems to be a misspelling. It is actually: L. E. W. P. E. R. K. I. N. S.

On a serious note, the pro-WSU football camp has always been curious as to the year-to-year costs associated with a respectable football program of roughly this stature. In UAB's case, that press release would seem to indicate $5.4M/year to be the number. Is that higher or lower than what most assumed? To me it is quite a bit lower. We spend that on men's basketball right now.

I'm not UAB, nor do I have their financial figures or contextual knowledge of the subject matter, but I think they might be jumping the gun here just a little prematurely. The landscape does not look super-rosy for the non-P5 football schools by any stretch, but it is far from being apocalyptic, at least IMO.

Comment

• FWIW UAB did not add football until 1996. Their history amounts to less than 20 years.
                                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Working...
                                X