American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by isubirds89 View Post
    Do you guys honestly think you are getting anywhere without football? Any links of actual articles or anything even mentioning Wichita State as a possible mover?
    Yes I do think that. I do not think WSU will be in the MVC when Fred Van Vleet and Ron Baker graduate.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
      I can't imagine the MVC not wanting us back if we left and wanted to come back. Same with Creighton if the Big East blew up.
      Even that could get messy. If the MVFC and MVC ever split things could be really messed up. Would Wichita really want to be stuck with Bradley, Drake, Evansville while the football schools bolt?

Comment

Even that could get messy. If the MVFC and MVC ever split things could be really messed up. Would Wichita really want to be stuck with Bradley, Drake, Evansville while the football schools bolt?
        I don't understand your point in regards to leaving. If the MVFC and MVC ever split and WSU DOESN'T leave before then, we're still stuck with Bradley, Drake, and Evansville.

You're making a case for WSU to do everything in its power to leave.

Why would you think MVFC and MVC would ever split?
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

I don't understand your point in regards to leaving. If the MVFC and MVC ever split and WSU DOESN'T leave before then, we're still stuck with Bradley, Drake, and Evansville.

Just a what if scenario. The sad reality is football is driving conference realignment. With a football program movement would be much easier.

Comment

Just a what if scenario. The sad reality is football is driving conference realignment. With a football program movement would be much easier.
            I don't get your point about the MVFC and MVC splitting. The MVFC would be a significantly worse basketball conference than the MVC is now, or even without WSU.

Comment

Why would you think MVFC and MVC would ever split?
              I don't foresee it. Depends on if any schools make the jump to FBS and where they land. MSU, SIU, UNI, and the ISUs could all decide to make moves for better football (highly doubt all would). If any do jump are their any good schools to replace them with? MSU has flirted with the Sun Belt.

Comment

• Thing is, does the rest of MVC really have football? Basically, if it ain't BCS, it ain't !*@! BCS football is driving the realignment.

Comment

I don't foresee it. Depends on if any schools make the jump to FBS and where they land. MSU, SIU, UNI, and the ISUs could all decide to make moves for better football (highly doubt all would). If any do jump are their any good schools to replace them with? MSU has flirted with the Sun Belt.
                  If every team currently in the MVFC jumped to FBS, they could all still play football in the MVC. I don't see your point about a split. The only way I could see that is if all of the current MVC football programs jumped to FBS and joined other conferences that wouldn't take them without basketball. In which case that wouldn't be a split.

You keep the current members and you add associate members for football. Your basketball conference is your home conference, but you can put your football team into any conference, as long as your home conference doesn't have football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                    Fox Sports started in 1995 and everyone said they couldn't survive. FX 1 started November 2013 and won the bidding for BE bball. WSU would be a great fit. As much as you want to see CU fail, I think it will work out just fine for them.
                    Shouldn't you be more concerned with the musings surrounding UMKC?

And if by "fine" you mean "fail", then I wholeheartedly agree.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Because creoghton joined the BE because of their powerhouse FB program
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                      Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                        Because creoghton joined the BE because of their powerhouse FB program
                        Creighton lucked into a perfect situation by pairing with other Catholic universities. Wichita or any other basketball dominant school don't have those luxuries at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
                          Thing is, does the rest of MVC really have football? Basically, if it ain't BCS, it ain't !*@! BCS football is driving the realignment.
                          Bingo.

LOL at the I-AA schools filling their stands with 7,000 people actually thinking they have a chance to be picked up by any conference worth a damn.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Bingo.

LOL at the I-AA schools filling their stands with 7,000 people actually thinking they have a chance to be picked up by any conference worth a damn.
                            Which is worse...being stuck in I-AA dreaming of moving up or being an Eastern Michigan drawing under 5k? Schools like that have no other sport to fall back on.

I think the time for schools to jump from I-AA is closed or closing. BCS schools will change the game sooner or later. A lot of schools will be left out in the cold.

Comment

Creighton lucked into a perfect situation by pairing with other Catholic universities. Wichita or any other basketball dominant school don't have those luxuries at this time.
                              And that's true.

To overcome the natural disadvantages WSU faces, they'd have to be doing something historic.

Like a Final Four run last year and a #4 ranking this year. The only chance of any program overcoming the challenge of no football and geographic disadvantage is to become so successful you can't be ignored.

And then once you're not ignored anymore, suddenly they realize you've been averaging a sell-out for over a decade, and have averaged 21 wins a year since 2000.

SLU is the only more valuable basketball product than us outside of the biggest conferences, and that's only because of the Saint Louis market. That doesn't mean we're a lock to be sought after, but it makes it a hell of a lot more likely.

Comment

And that's true.

To overcome the natural disadvantages WSU faces, they'd have to be doing something historic.

Like a Final Four run last year and a #4 ranking this year. The only chance of any program overcoming the challenge of no football and geographic disadvantage is to become so successful you can't be ignored.
                                I'm not up on my WSU knowledge, but say an invite from a geographic challenged conference presents itself. Are the finances in order to support travel for the lesser sports? I know the MVC isn't ideal outside of MSU, UNI, and Drake.

Comment

Working...
                                X