American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for posting the link.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
      Are you, or anyone else for that matter, taking that quote as good or bad? I could see it either way. I wouldn't expect him to say "we're expanding no matter what." But he certainly seemed open to the idea. And the "couldn't comment on WSU" part CLEARLY means there is smoke somewhere. Which I guess we already knew.
      He's been very careful not to rule out the possibility of one addition while clearly and emphatically ruling out multiple additions.

He won't comment on WSU because to do so, either in the affirmative or negative, would indicate they are considering someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
        "I’m very optimistic about the league. We’re only a year away from more tournament teams. We had four last year. I think in two years, we’ll be among the best conferences in the country. I’m totally convinced.”

Pretty specific timeline. Perhaps foreshadowing the addition of WSU? We can hope....
        I missed that.

Yeah, why are you gonna be one of the best in 2 years??

Why not next year? Interesting, indeed.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
          Are you, or anyone else for that matter, taking that quote as good or bad? I could see it either way. I wouldn't expect him to say "we're expanding no matter what." But he certainly seemed open to the idea. And the "couldn't comment on WSU" part CLEARLY means there is smoke somewhere. Which I guess we already knew.
          "Obviously 12 and 12 would be symmetrical, but we don't need to do anything," Aresco said. "I really believe we're going to be good in basketball with what we have."
          This statement seems to be a fairly big negative. He seems more content with the current makeup and is focussed on improving that makeup (whatever that means).
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            This statement seems to be a fairly big negative. He seems more content with the current makeup and is focussed on improving that makeup (whatever that means).
            Hedging his bets in case the negotiations don't work out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              Hedging his bets in case the negotiations don't work out.
              That would be the positive spin you'd like to hope it means, but I'm just going by directly what the man said.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

That would be the positive spin you'd like to hope it means, but I'm just going by directly what the man said.
                Of course assuming we got the full quote.

I am going with that he is saying they don't HAVE to expand just to get to 12. They would still be good in basketball. HOWEVER, they will be one of the best conferences in exactly 2 years because they are adding WSU.

That's what I am going with and I am sticking to it. Without WSU they will be ok, but with WSU they will be even better :)
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Keep it spinning! :)

Comment

• nm

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat_Bounce View Post
                      Hey guys. Cincinnati fan here.

1st want to congratulate you guys on a great season. Was really hoping we could get a Cincinnati vs Wichita State Sweet 16 but unfortunately we both got stuck with really tough draws against blue blood programs. Still can't believe the bottom of the South Region had FOUR teams with 30 wins.

From your side how realistic are these rumors about Wichita State joining the AAC? I would LOVE to get you guys and VCU in our league as olympic sports members. We badly need some more basketball first schools.

Hope the rumors are true.
                      We are pretty much all for it. Just want to make sure the AAC doesn't have their tournament in Connecticut every year. If you make it reasonable, we will come.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                        Of course assuming we got the full quote.

I am going with that he is saying they don't HAVE to expand just to get to 12. They would still be good in basketball. HOWEVER, they will be one of the best conferences in exactly 2 years because they are adding WSU.

That's what I am going with and I am sticking to it. Without WSU they will be ok, but with WSU they will be even better :)
                        That's actually how I interpret that as well, though I may be reading too much into a statement that was not intended to be taken as literally as we are taking it. He specifically mentioned in two years that they'll be one of the best conferences, with a qualifying statement a few sentences later that they don't need to do anything, they're already good as it is. Perhaps he's just hedging his bets, but with what we already know about UConn (and maybe other schools) pushing for improvement, it seems like Aresco is teeing the ball up. He's making the case that the AAC is already good as is and doesn't need to do anything (mostly true statement, though it is arguable since only two teams danced this year), but is aspiring to become the best. If WSU is added, that would be a significant step in that direction. If UConn, Temple, Tulsa, and Houston return to their historical norms, with Cincy continuing to be Cincy and SMU continuing its momentum, adding WSU would make the league an absolute juggernaut.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                          We are pretty much all for it. Just want to make sure the AAC doesn't have their tournament in Connecticut every year. If you make it reasonable, we will come.
                          The tournament location rotates. Next year it's in Orlando. 2014 was in Memphis. The conference is currently accepting bids to host 2019, 2020, and 2021.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                            The tournament location rotates. Next year it's in Orlando. 2014 was in Memphis. The conference is currently accepting bids to host 2019, 2020, and 2021.
                            If St. Louis takes the AAC tourney to replace the MVC's void I swear to God I am burning that city to the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                              Our loss was, IMO, NOT related to lousy seeding. Unlike a lot of my fellow Shockers, I don't fault seeding for outcomes. If you want to get to the FF, at some point you have to beat the UK's, KU's, Gonzagas of the tourney. No, this loss is more related to the MVC not providing enough quality games to get us fully prepared for the tournament games against higher seeds. We need to change conferences...yesterday!
                              I dunno we lost a 3 point game to Kentucky who is ranked 4 in kenpom. We seemed pretty well prepared to me it was just two really good teams facing off, someone had to lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                                I dunno we lost a 3 point game to Kentucky who is ranked 4 in kenpom. We seemed pretty well prepared to me it was just two really good teams facing off, someone had to lose.
                                The loss maybe didn't .. but the loss of a couple of NCAA credits (to go along with Sweet 16, Elite 8 Banners) is related to that seeding.

Comment

Working...
                                X