No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita will be one of the less attractive destination stops in the AAC.

The scheduling of 18 conference games is likely to be controlled by ESPN. TV views will be more important than absolute equality in all teams having equal schedules.

It will probably work out to seomthing like two Bracket Buster games, but they will be in the league and will be for a chance to improve seeding as opposed to a chance to be eliminated from the tourney.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
      Mods should just put a little badge under our avatars that say "pro-football" or "anti-football" regarding bringing it back to WSU so we all know where we stand.
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Here's how to restore football and get the team playing in the AAC. (Hint: They're not going to share revenue with an additional school that isn't delivering TV revenue on their own).

1. Start an FCS football team. Good luck finding a league. May have to go independent.
        2. Play through the NCAA's probationary period to get up to FBS qualification.
        3. Play as an independent until establishing a national brand and probably 3 out of 5 years in the top-25 (consistently). Probably over a 10-year period.
        4. Get an invite from the AAC.

It's just that simple. 4 steps to joining an FBS football league.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          Wichita will be one of the less attractive destination stops in the AAC.

The scheduling of 18 conference games is likely to be controlled by ESPN. TV views will be more important than absolute equality in all teams having equal schedules.

It will probably work out to seomthing like two Bracket Buster games, but they will be in the league and will be for a chance to improve seeding as opposed to a chance to be eliminated from the tourney.
          If you are implying ESPN will choose other venues based upon the amenities of the city, I would disagree. I think ESPN will want our home games based upon a full house of crazy fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
            If you are implying ESPN will choose other venues based upon the amenities of the city, I would disagree. I think ESPN will want our home games based upon a full house of crazy fans.
            I think he meant two different statements. Traveling to Wichita will be less attractive than Florida, etc. And separately that ESPN will influence, even though I think it's mutually beneficial, to have nationally recognizable games more often than not -- i.e. WSU vs Cinci in a top 15 match up for prime time twice, rather than two vs ECU.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
              I think he meant two different statements. Traveling to Wichita will be less attractive than Florida, etc. And separately that ESPN will influence, even though I think it's mutually beneficial, to have nationally recognizable games more often than not -- i.e. WSU vs Cinci in a top 15 match up for prime time twice, rather than two vs ECU.
              I can agree with that.

Comment

• How many schools in the AAC play soccer? That seems like a more reasonable add to sports. The popularity is gaining and would be a ton cheaper.

I agree that football is just going to drag down the whole athletic department.

And on the redoing of CKA, could they take off the roof, add a second tier with boxes and do it for a reasonable amount? Or just replace it with something the size of IBA but built right?

Comment

• Good point, RR. Remember, in 2000, the Fighting Sweater Vests from Creighton actually played for a D-1 national championship in men's soccer. They lost, of course -- although give them credit for surpassing their basketball brethren by making it that far -- but they certainly confirmed that someone outside the P5 cartel can play soccer at the highest level.

In fact, Akron actually pulled off the Butler basketball trick by playing for the championship in 2009 and 2010 -- and even went the Bulldogs one better, by WINNING in 2010. Think of that: the so-called world's most popular sport, and the 2010 NCAA D-1 champ in the US was the Akron F Zips. Does anyone seriously doubt that whatever Akron does, WSU could also do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    Here's how to restore football and get the team playing in the AAC. (Hint: They're not going to share revenue with an additional school that isn't delivering TV revenue on their own).

1. Start an FCS football team. Good luck finding a league. May have to go independent.
                    2. Play through the NCAA's probationary period to get up to FBS qualification.
                    3. Play as an independent until establishing a national brand and probably 3 out of 5 years in the top-25 (consistently). Probably over a 10-year period.
                    4. Get an invite from the AAC.

It's just that simple. 4 steps to joining an FBS football league.
                    FYI, for all the newbs here, Aargh is the founder and President of the anti shocker football brigade and web police force. I have always assumed he was in the crowd the day the Morehead State debacle went down and never got over it. If there is a thread on the net about the potential of Shocker football, he will be there to tell us how since it didn't work 30 years ago, it won't work now. Thankfully, Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet when we brought back baseball in the 70's.

Now, I am not saying he is illogical about it because he brings up a lot of good points on why it would be hard and nearly impossible to raise the necessary cash. However, he is blinded by his rage and refuses to even consider that football could work here.

Carry on....
                    Last edited by Shockerman; April 6, 2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• I'm happy to leave it as WSU is the basketball power in Kansas, K State the football power, and KU the...

We'll have to find something for KU

Comment

• According to UConn's beat writer, they are supportive.

“The overwhelming word that everyone seems to be getting is it will be an overwhelming 'yes', and that Wichita State will get in, and they will very likely begin play next season in the American Athletic Conference.”
                        Dom Amore, the University of Connecticut men’s basketball beat writer for the Hartford Courant, says that UConn will support Wichita State’s admission to the American Athletic Conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                          Upgrading our football to FBS really split our fan-base in terms of whether or not it was a good decision. I guess time will tell...but it's not looking great at the moment. Connecticut is a basketball/hockey/soccer state. In terms of CT adolescent sport popularity, I would rank them as:

1. Basketball
                          2. Hockey
                          3. Soccer
                          --- DROP OFF ---
                          4. Baseball
                          5. Football / Lacrosse

I'm not sure how sports rank in Kansas, but if they are similar to Connecticut (football being way down the list), I would advise to really think about it. Do you think it will be advantageous in the long run or could it potentially hurt the marquee programs that you care most about?
                          Your football stadium is also 45 miles or so from campus right? Our empty junkhole of a stadium sits in between the basketball arena and baseball stadium. I do feel your pain though, UCONN is the one school that really got bit for going FBS. However, you eventually will get into the ACC and will only do so because you have FBS football/.

Comment

• Meanwhile back in college...

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• See y'all tomorrow--enjoy your last night in the MVC!
                              Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Tomorrow be like...

Comment

Working...
                                X