American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    The Dakotas would not be good adds. I do agree that we should move to 12 though.
    because i am senile, forgetful and lazy, why havent they ever gone to 12?

Comment

• I don't see the upside of 12.

Comment

• I do not like the idea of 12 teams. With 12 teams we lose the round robin format. And also that's 2 more mouths to feed with the ncaa money.

But I can be persuaded to like the 12 team idea. What are the benefits?
        Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
        Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• As long as we schedule better in the non-con, we can get away with just adding 1 team.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I would hope Bardo and Sexton are working plans for all possibilities. New better conference (might be tough if no one is interested in us though), stay in a Valley that adds decent teams (less pressure on OOC scheduling), stay in a Valley that doesn't add decent teams (greater pressure on OOC scheduling, that might put us in a need to play more high caliber road OOC games if we can find them). As long as things work out to where we can start being a regular NCAA team that also can win games in the dance, I'll be happy.
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• In other news, right now every DePaul fan is saying, "Oh thank God, now we might not be the worst team in the league." Awfully nice of Creighton to accept the invitation to be MU's, Gtown's, and Nova's punching bag. CU might be competitive someday but it's going to be rocky road getting there. They better hope their legion of UNL football fans doesn't get bored with them in the meantime.

As far as the Valley going to 12, it makes sense IF we can add programs that bring serious potential for NCAA bids. Belmont would be one. As someone pointed out, if we go to twelve we have more mouths to feed with NCAA money. The Valley has the opportunity here to be the new A-10, but I'm not convinced Valley brass have the killer instinct to do that.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• stay in the Valley and own the Valley...hope they add a program that cares extremely about winning basketball program

Comment

• Suellentrop gives his take on Creighton's departure. He thinks the MVC should stay at 10 schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by lostshocker View Post
                    because i am senile, forgetful and lazy, why havent they ever gone to 12?
                    To keep the round-robin schedule and small footprint.

Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
                    I do not like the idea of 12 teams. With 12 teams we lose the round robin format. And also that's 2 more mouths to feed with the ncaa money.

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    I don't see the upside of 12.
                    Going to 12 wouldn't be for money (same dollars spread over more teams) or better competition (You can't replace a perennial NCAA at-large team with anyone willing to leave their current conference) . It would be for stability. Should one or two more teams leave, you could make do with what's left and take your time replacing them or not replace them at all.

Comment

• Mountain West needs one more basketball team, Hawaii fills the slot for football and WSU fills it for basketball. Lets do it!

Comment

• Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
                        I do not like the idea of 12 teams. With 12 teams we lose the round robin format. And also that's 2 more mouths to feed with the ncaa money.

Im with Capn. Im not alone.

Comment

• What conference is Denver in now? Is it just a rumor that they turned the MVC down or more than that? They seem to have the biggest upside to me for basketball growth and the WAC is a loser for the short and long term.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                            In other news, right now every DePaul fan is saying, "Oh thank God, now we might not be the worst team in the league." Awfully nice of Creighton to accept the invitation to be MU's, Gtown's, and Nova's punching bag. CU might be competitive someday but it's going to be rocky road getting there. They better hope their legion of UNL football fans doesn't get bored with them in the meantime.

As far as the Valley going to 12, it makes sense IF we can add programs that bring serious potential for NCAA bids. Belmont would be one. As someone pointed out, if we go to twelve we have more mouths to feed with NCAA money. The Valley has the opportunity here to be the new A-10, but I'm not convinced Valley brass have the killer instinct to do that.
                            Who ever we add is not going to be a year in and year out Dance card holder, more likely a 1 out of 3 year type. Much like UNI or other mid to upper pack team. If you add 3 teams of that caliber, the odds may favor you to get 1 of those 3 in every year on average. An additional Dance card every 3 years divided among 10 teams is not as good as 1 additional dance card every year divided by 12. Plus, by adding 3 teams that will most likely be mid to upper Valley teams will raise the RPI of conference and counter the current bottomfeeders. The last reason to add 3, is that there may be more teams leave (Ill St, UNI, WSU) over time. Lock in the best teams you can now while they're still available. Those better additional teams may also make it more attractive for other teams not to leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              The last reason to add 3, is that there may be more teams leave (Ill St, UNI, WSU) over time. Lock in the best teams you can now while they're still available. Those better additional teams may also make it more attractive for other teams not to leave.
                              If WSU leaves, we really don't care how many schools the MVC adds.

Comment

• The MVC is a 1-2 (maybe 3 in extremely strong years) bid league right now with 10. That's 10 schools dividing money from the success of 1 or 2. By losing a team that is almost guaranteed to be in talks for that 1 or 2 bids, it seems like unless we pick up 3 homerun schools that will increase our bid numbers from 1-2 to 2-3, that all we are doing is decreasing the individual size of the share from the profits of success.

This really is not an advantagous position for the MVC to be in right now. Like I've said before, I just don't see how losing Creighton can ever be turned positively for the MVC.

There is more of a chance that WSU comes out positively from this before the conference as a whole does. And I think it's a slim chance WSU comes away leaving for a new conference without some implosion from other conferences or the rare opportunity to join the MWC.

If Creighton does move on, congrats to them and moving up in the world, but I think people are getting caught up in the glamour of the name Big East. Like someone said, this isn't our dad's Big East. It will be a solid conference, better than the MVC, but don't get it twisted, it's not the ACC, B12 or B1G.
                                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X