Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
    President Pence would be great.
    That possibility could bring about an intriguing irony.

There could be enough Republicans who've had enough that they bring up impeachment charges on whatever grounds they have, regardless of merit. It's not like they have to convince a judge or jury.

Then the Democrats, salivating over what they can do in 2020, join with Trump's remaining supporters among the Republicans and have enough votes to keep him in office.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Question: At what temperature is a goose cooked?

Answer: “The USDA says 165, Cooks Illustrated says 170 but then says "A goose generally reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees in the thigh cavity after less than two hours of roasting. Yet the meat is still tough, especially around the thighs. At least 45 minutes of additional roasting is required."
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        That possibility could bring about an intriguing irony.

There could be enough Republicans who've had enough that they bring up impeachment charges on whatever grounds they have, regardless of merit. It's not like they have to convince a judge or jury.

Then the Democrats, salivating over what they can do in 2020, join with Trump's remaining supporters among the Republicans and have enough votes to keep him in office.
        As good as that sounds for a TV storyline, there's no way a Democrat gets re elected if they oppose this hypothetical impeachment.

Pence is in about the toughest position in politics right now. He's got to constantly walk the line between backing up Trump but making sure he preserves his future.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
          I thought about it a lot, too. I think for me, if you're an elected official, you probably need to stop down after saying something like this, even if you quickly retract it. Part of the deal as a politician is that you should attempt to be above reproach.

For me, I probably wouldn't fire someone if someone sent me a screenshot of an employee having a similar emotional and heated response to something, so long as they quickly apologized and said it was a mistake. I don't know, though.

And is it worse if the heated or emotional response is discriminatory? Like, if during Obama's presidency someone called for his assassination in the same way but also called him the n-word. For example, when Jonah Hill insulted the guy photographing him by calling him a derogatory term for a gay person. He immediately went on one of the late night shows and did an incredible apology, but the insult itself was rooted in prejudice on top of being rooted in frustration. Obviously calling someone a name is probably not as bad as wishing someone dies, but they are both just words. And they are both coming out of a place of immediate frustration and emotion. But only one of them adds in another bad element that I probably don't want festering in my workplace. It's certainly an interesting thing to talk about.

But, for me, it's clear she should step down as an elected official.
          Jamar's comment made me laugh. If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.

Part of the problem in today's society is wild over reaction to words. Dog gone it, people are people. We SHOULD show more emotion. And every misspoken word shouldn't have to be a capital offense.

See if someone is sincere. Their actions should carry more weight than a word here or there.

But I have NO IDEA how a person can brush off calling for the assassination of our President because it was deleted (very likely because she was about to lose a government job and not because she felt it was wrong. I say this because she's stated many times she will not apologize for it) yet in the same breath say it's so much worse to add on the n word. Seriously? Can I start randomly calling for hits on people that call me fat? Good Lord.

You kind of go back and forth, and I 100% believe you should value and choose what kind of person you want in your work place.

I think it's a decent example of why there are simply too many elected officials. Personally, it was a stupid thing to say that about anyone but whatever....however, if you have ANY intelligence you know damned good and well you can't threaten POTUS like that. Still, I'd be willing to give anyone a pass on that (I do think anyone that votes for her again is stupid as hell but that's another story) comment if they just said, hey, I was mad and I apologize. I was wrong.

Nope. I do not apologize. That's her answer.

The problem is we have one side of the country that's allowed a lot of leeway, and the other very little. If you're going to double down, I have no problem with letting her know her actions have consequences.

The entire state legislature should demand she resigns. And I'd send a few Virginia farm boys out that way to go through her life with a fine tooth comb. She if she's sorry then.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Seriously? Can I start randomly calling for hits on people that call me fat?
            I see you’re drinking 1%. Is that ’cause you think you’re fat? ‘Cause you’re not. You could totally be drinking whole if you wanted to.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Jamar's comment made me laugh. If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.
              Haha!

Your soldiers are nothing!!

Matrix and I could kill every one of them in the blink of an eye.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                I thought about it a lot, too. I think for me, if you're an elected official, you probably need to stop down after saying something like this, even if you quickly retract it. Part of the deal as a politician is that you should attempt to be above reproach.

For me, I probably wouldn't fire someone if someone sent me a screenshot of an employee having a similar emotional and heated response to something, so long as they quickly apologized and said it was a mistake. I don't know, though.

And is it worse if the heated or emotional response is discriminatory? Like, if during Obama's presidency someone called for his assassination in the same way but also called him the n-word. For example, when Jonah Hill insulted the guy photographing him by calling him a derogatory term for a gay person. He immediately went on one of the late night shows and did an incredible apology, but the insult itself was rooted in prejudice on top of being rooted in frustration. Obviously calling someone a name is probably not as bad as wishing someone dies, but they are both just words. And they are both coming out of a place of immediate frustration and emotion. But only one of them adds in another bad element that I probably don't want festering in my workplace. It's certainly an interesting thing to talk about.

But, for me, it's clear she should step down as an elected official.
                I'm actually not a fan of crimes being "hate crimes". Actions are illeagals. Threat of violent actions are illeagal. I don't distinguish the two. From a work/team standpoint, I wouldn't want to work with a racist or someone that issues violent threats.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  I'm actually not a fan of crimes being "hate crimes". Actions are illeagals. Threat of violent actions are illeagal. I don't distinguish the two. From a work/team standpoint, I wouldn't want to work with a racist or someone that issues violent threats.
                  I agree. I would also make the argument that the designations of "hate crimes" violate the Equal Protection clause.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Steve Bannon resigns, reportedly as a result of further house cleaning by General Kelly.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      Not saying yes or no, but what would happen to us if you or I did as she did? Then, to her, add the responsibility of being an elected official and leader of her constituents.
                      If I called for Trump's assassination on Facebook then deleted it and said it was a moment of anger, and I didn't mean it, the secret service would come investigate me, find nothing more, and I'd never see a jail cell.

No way anyone should go to jail for something like that if there wasn't some more credible threat along side it.

Comment

• Saying you "hope for" a President's assassination, while despicable and indefensible, isn't a crime. Threatening to do it or inciting others to take that action may be a crime, depending on context and the language used.

I believe this idiot did the former. Either should result in her stepping down as an elected official.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                          If I called for Trump's assassination on Facebook then deleted it and said it was a moment of anger, and I didn't mean it, the secret service would come investigate me, find nothing more, and I'd never see a jail cell.

No way anyone should go to jail for something like that if there wasn't some more credible threat along side it.
                          Credible............like shooting but missing? Yeah, ok.

Comment

• If wishing out loud that a President would be ushered out of this realm were a crime then probably 5% of my Facebook feed and 95% of the rosters in Charlottesville's activities would be serving lengthy sentences.

It is disgusting but not illegal.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              Credible............like shooting but missing? Yeah, ok.
                              Surely you would admit that an emotional outburst, later retracted, is quite less threatening than actually taking a shot at Trump, or hiring someone to do so, or many other actions that are much more "credible threats".

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                                Surely you would admit that an emotional outburst, later retracted, is quite less threatening than actually taking a shot at Trump, or hiring someone to do so, or many other actions that are much more "credible threats".
                                absolutely agree

Comment

Working...
                                X