• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

China is working nuclear powered cars

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/i...in-our-future/
    Originally posted by DUShock View Post
    @SB Shock: but we did that back in 1985.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    No no no no, that sucker is electrical. But you need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 jigawatts of power you need to run it.

FIFM

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
      They came up with it decades ago. It's nuclear.
      I am a big fan of nuclear. I do believe the waste issue is a problem, but power from nuclear is impressive.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
        I also think it may be possible that people will be able to generate personal power for their home and ditch electric co.panies altogether.
        I think this is the biggest key to getting most of our power from renewables. As prices for solar continues to come down and the panels' efficiency continue to go up, solar panels (or even solar roofs) will be the key. Solar doesn't work well in a setting where it's a farm of panels. Takes up a lot of room, and then trying to transport that electricity to the grid...

So when people are generating enough electricity for themselves at home or for their business, they can store excess energy in a home battery. With that excess energy, power outages won't be a thing anymore and they can use it to charge their electric cars, further reducing the carbon footprint. This is why I'm a huge fan of Tesla. They're working on (and producing) all of this right now. For my future home, I want a solar roof, a battery, and an electric car, so my carbon footprint can be essentially zero.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
          So when people are generating enough electricity for themselves at home or for their business, they can store excess energy in a home battery. With that excess energy, power outages won't be a thing anymore and they can use it to charge their electric cars, further reducing the carbon footprint. This is why I'm a huge fan of Tesla. They're working on (and producing) all of this right now. For my future home, I want a solar roof, a battery, and an electric car, so my carbon footprint can be essentially zero.
          Yep, nothing will ever go wrong with every person having their own electricity stations. No power outages will ever happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
            I think it's pretty clearly viable presently. There are tons of solar companies right now, and it's only going to get more profitable. It's probably less profitable than an already established, multi-billion dollar company in fossil fuels.

That's a pretty harsh response. Most uranium is imported. While I'm all for free trade, I also hate the idea of something like energy being susceptible to manipulation by foreign governments. This is one of the biggest concerns with fossil fuels, and we actually get most of our oil from friendly places. I'll admit that safety concerns are "irrational" in the sense that most people immediately think of Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, and Fukushima, and not the hundreds of plants that never fail. But they still should cause people to have a respect for nuclear power. There's a reason nuclear power plants are locked down as much as they are, and it's not because the energy is incredibly safe. Lastly, to say nuclear waste is an "irrational fear" ignores that there are many, many smart people who recognize the problem with waste. If it's an irrational fear, post your solution to nuclear reprocessing that no one has implemented yet.
            True that I was harsh, but it did get to the heart of the REAL issues with Nuclear power. I do not have a solution for reprocessing (Surprise!). The waste has to go somewhere. That's a real issue, but one that can be dealt with if people will get past fear and give it a fair shake. On importation, I think that working with other countries would give us a better relationship. It's not like we would be friendly with Saudi Arabia if they didn't have oil. Also, I don't know where Uranium is mined. I will need to look that up.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Yep, nothing will ever go wrong with every person having their own electricity stations. No power outages will ever happen.
              Hey, think of the boner the regulators will get when you try to sell your excess power to your neighbor for a 30 pack...
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by seskridge
                You obviously didnt read the whole thread. I SAID OBAMA LIES BUT. ALL POLITICIANS DO BUT TRUMP LIES WAY MORE THAN OBAMA ACCORDING TO FACT CHECKERS.

About your Comey statement, trump said today that his threat of tapes altered Comey to testify truthfully.... it seems like the vasr majority of people think Comey is telling the truth. Dpnt know how he would fake writing memos directly after the meeting and then sharing it with officals at the fbi. Sessions stated comey did in fact say he was uncomfortable with just trump and him
                But you refuse to respond to those who point out the fact checkers you are using are picking and choosing facts.

Lets look at just one.

Trump

"The new Rasmussen Poll, one of the most accurate in the 2016 Election, just out with a Trump 50% Approval Rating."
                Your fact checker says false because:

Rasmussen did put out that result two days before Trump’s tweet, and Rasmussen was closest to the mark among pollsters in its final pre-election survey.

However, Trump has engaged in some serious cherry-picking. Other polling in this time frame shows approval ratings for Trump that are seven to 11 percentage points below Rasmussen’s finding.
                So its is false because Trump quoted Poll A, and even though poll A did agree with Trump, Trump lied because other polls disagrees with Poll A.
                Maybe I would take you more seriously if you were not so blinded.

Comment

I'm not sure which side you're trying to argue. I am only arguing about the profitability from a business perspective since @wufan has stated companies would happily start producing solar if it were profitable.

I agree, though, there are many household technologies that actually tend to have decent returns. Tesla's solar roof is promising. There are geothermal HVAC systems that tend to have pretty good returns.
                  I'm not arguing anything. I found Tesla solar panels technology intriguing - especially since they don't look like solar panels. The have an infinite warranty - which deals with the question of hail. Only thing that maybe misleading is their hail strike video comparison. They changed their boundary conditions of the test on their panel.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    I'm not arguing anything. I found Tesla solar panels technology intriguing - especially since they don't look like solar panels. The have an infinite warranty - which deals with the question of hail. Only thing that maybe misleading is their hail strike video comparison. They changed their boundary conditions of the test on their panel.
                    I also hope the solar shingles are a viable thing! I'd love for those to go on roof tops everywhere! Of course if they were awesome and everyone wanted them, we'd be forced to deal with the hydroflouric acid that's required to manufacture them and the CO2 emissions that the solar plants put out, plus the fact that they are ultra-expensive to recycle.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• So far, all that stuff, windmills, solar, ethanol, costs more than it is worth. None of it is viable, but maybe someday.

Comment

the CO2 emissions that the solar plants put out, plus the fact that they are ultra-expensive to recycle.
                        Come on... You legitimately believe the CO2 emissions from a solar plant are more significant than the CO2 emissions from a coal powered plant? As in, at the end of a solar panel's lifetime, it produced more CO2 emissions than the equivalent amount of coal? If not, then that's not a persuasive argument.

Comment

Come on... You legitimately believe the CO2 emissions from a solar plant are more significant than the CO2 emissions from a coal powered plant? As in, at the end of a solar panel's lifetime, it produced more CO2 emissions than the equivalent amount of coal? If not, then that's not a persuasive argument.
                          No I don't believe that. I know that it produces some CO2. That doesn't bother me, but it does bother some. My point was that all energy sources have some level of negative and we need to be able to reconcile the negatives for the greater good. Today, fossil fuels have the most positives and the fewest negatives. It could have been nuclear, but it's not. Perhaps someday solar will have the most positives. I hope that If that happens that people don't whine about the problems I mentioned previously.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Lol are you serious? Any sane person would say that trump insinuated he taped comey.
                            Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                            I mean, Trump pretty clearly implied he had tapes of Comey, but that's also not a lie, right? That's deceptive, and I wish Trump supporters would recognize it for what it is (Trump trying to intimidate Comey), but I definitely don't see a lie.

I'm not a "liar" when I pump my fist after getting a 2 and a 7 in Texas Hold'em.
                            Well I guess @jdshock: is insane by @seskridge: standards. While @jdshock: is way left of my self on most issues. His posts makes me think about my position on some issues. And he unlike @seskridge: will answer questions asked of him.

Comment

. I hope that If that happens that people don't whine about the problems I mentioned previously.
                              When it does though, I bet you'll be on Shockernet writing a whole lotta "I told you so's" and "Gotchya's". Gimme a break.

Comment

They vast majority of people on here dont answer questions asked. You make it about me rather than the subject.
                                Most people on SN make it about the poster rather than about the subject. I haven't even looked. But if we subtracted all the personal attacks from this thread, I don't think there'd be very many pages left.

Comment

Working...
                                X