Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
    Well, tariffs are a two way street. We charge duties on about 30% of imported goods. Here's a good article on this: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...rted-clothing/.

So while other countries charge tariffs on US goods all the time, so do we. We routinely protect (or attempt to protect) domestic industries with tariffs--clothing and agriculture are the two best examples.

I believe in free trade. I also believe our trade imbalance has less to do with other countries and more to do with our own habits. Want a better trade balance with China? Then stop buying cheap Chinese crap. Actively look for products made in the US and spend the extra few bucks on it. Stop blaming other people and start changing our own behavior. Take some personal responsibility. But that's just me being crazy.
    Who should be taking this responsibility on?
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Rocky Mountain Shock
      Rocky Mountain Shock commented
      Editing a comment
      Consumers should be taking it on. Personal responsibility. Government instead plays a huge role, which is whole idea of tariffs--artificially raise the price of foreign products to influence our buying behavior. Or subsidies--which we also do (we subsidize the crap out of domestic agriculture).

It's hypocritical to advocate free market principles and advocate for tariffs. This is why it baffles me that Trump is a conservative but seems to be against free trade.

• shockfan89_
      shockfan89_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Trump is absolutely for free trade. He is only considering tariffs on countries that currently refuse to engage in free trade with the United States. Canada has repeatedly refused to remove the near 300% tariffs placed on dairy products from the U.S. Trump is proposing tariffs as a negotiation tactic to reduce/eliminate tariffs from other countries so we can engage in free trade.

It is extremely hypocritical of countries to complain about the U.S considering tariffs under the guise of free trade, when they refuse to remove existing tariffs.

• I dont mind having a trade imbalance. We are a consuming nation, with a diverse economy and market that can buy what we produce, so exporting isnt a necessity. And being able to import items to keep prices low, to me, is not a bad thing.

These tariffs, Im guessing, is a negotiating ploy to start the conversation on a broader look at tariffs imposed on our stuff.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• To me at least, whatever rhetoric that's being spouted is simply a different tactic than many both in and that follow government are used to hearing.

Tactics being used are designed to get a better deal for the USA. Tactics previously used were designed to make other countries and their often less than free leaders feel warm and fuzzy and that we are being nice to them.

Personally, I prefer the former, even if it sounds mean. Like it or not, we are the leader of the free world and it's about time we acted like it. If somebody's feelings are bruised along the way, I suspect they'll get over it.

Comment

• Rocky Mountain Shock
        Rocky Mountain Shock commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you're over simplifying it. I doubt we used previous tactics just so that foreign leaders felt warm fuzzies. Those previous tactics were almost assuredly used for other policy negotiations--use of military bases, leverage against adversarial regimes, etc.

My concern is that Trump's simple-minded approach to foreign policy will shackle our abilities to influence global politics in the future, and it could be several years before we see the tangible effects.

China has the world's second largest economy but nowhere near the global influence we do. That's partly because we have used our economy to block their attempts. If we continue to go all protectionist, I'm concerned China will use its economy to do exactly what the US has done for the past 70 years.

• ShockingButTrue
        ShockingButTrue commented
        Editing a comment
        SMFH

• Is De Niro running in 2020 ?
      For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
      - said no one ever...

Comment

• Livin the dream

Comment

• Trump is definitely disrupting. He’s not a that get along with elites type of guy. He doesn’t have friends on Wall Street just to take the easy road and get along with the elites and do nothing. One of his core values seems to be to have policies that help the working guy and small businesses.

It was mentioned above that our government subsidizes farming. I know that crop insurance is a policy of the government. Is government subsidized insurance the same as Canada having a 270 percent subsidy on dairy? I would venture that Canada has government insurance in their at policies too. I’m not familiar enough with agriculture to know so I’ll raise the question.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
            Editing a comment
            He's definitely not a "politician" if that's what you mean. He doesn't play the partisan game very well. We've all witnessed that DC statecraft has never come close to getting N. Korea to the bargaining table, which he did. Or his hire for the US Secretary of State did. Another note to the liberals (and conservatives); It's why he won.

He really will try to help middle America, or, at least it appears that way. Of course, the out of touch progressives, you know, the mind readers, and many conservatives, will call it something else (islamph..., etc. etc.).

By the way, has anyone heard from ISIS, or "ISIL," in the last 7 months?
            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; June 12, 2018, 07:03 AM.

• I wish Trump the best in getting a deal, but we've been here before with better conditions. Thankfully our Chinese and Russian partners are putting their thumbs on the scale.

1992 signed agreement

2003-2008
          Wiki for the Six-party talks

Bush removes DPRK from Terror list and they blow up cooling towers.

DPRK agrees to suspend program in exchange for food aid. Launches test missile a few months later.

Text of Trump-Kim agreement
          At the close of their historic summit, the two leaders signed what Trump called a "comprehensive" agreement to commit to denuclearization

Here is an infographic timeline from the Council on Foreign relations. As a warning, following the link alerts the Tri-Lateral Commission and he Bilderburg Group.
          Negotiations between the United States and North Korea have proceeded in fits and starts for decades. But they have failed to halt the advance of North Korea’s nuclear and missile programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
          I wish Trump the best in getting a deal, but we've been here before with better conditions.
          What do you mean by better conditions?

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I wish Trump the best in getting a deal, but we've been here before with better conditions. Thankfully our Chinese and Russian partners are putting their thumbs on the scale.[/url]
            I'm not sure you were trying to be positive, but Yes there were better conditions in the past. N. Korea didn't have a nuclear weapon during that entire time and they didn't have a weapon that could reach to the East coast of the United States until just recently. KIm Jong Un is a 32 year old man who has a long time to maintain his power in North Korea. With the tensions of having nuclear weapons in South Korea, and other parts of the peninsula and the tensions of maintaining his power for many years to come without a possibility of a mistake or bad judgements by either side is not a good cloud to live under and yes, China doesn't enjoy living like that either.

Comment

• The media was stirring over the combative tone from G7 events over the weekend. What I heard was the potential for big movement...

He's definitely crazy, but he's got a little fox in him...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• North Korea's Kim Jong-un got everything he wanted out of the Singapore summit with Donald Trump. What did Trump get for the United States? Nothing

And here's the best the scrambling Libtards have to offer in the face of what could be the biggest development in Geopolitics since the Berlin Wall...

What these frightened little puppeteers don't understand (or do) is that Trump can (will) turn on a dime and hit 3x as hard as he did prior to the summit if the Little Rocket Man renegs on a single promise.

P.S. I hope LRM does backtrack; I can't wait for Trump to start the invasion rhetoric and watch the Snowflakes heads explode.

T

Comment

• Did anyone catch George Stephanopolous say "President Chump...Trump" last night on ABC?

Not an idiot whackjob like Chris Matthews or Rachel Maddow on a station nobody that isn't a whackjob watches.....ABFREAKINGC. This Week's host.

Can you even FATHOM the uproar if say Brit Hume had said "President Obummer...Obama" on a world wide scene like last night? Hume would have been fired before midnight, Fox's broadcasting rights suspended and every single advertiser would have pulled their sponsorship. These are the days we live in...….special rules and rights for some people, and not for others, in an attempt to right past wrongs, taken to an extreme absurdity.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You'll hear a lot worse than that if you keep watching the Lobotomy networks. Poor Stephanie is just seething over the lack of access to the president. ROFL!

T

• ShockingButTrue
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, but the more haters ya' got the better it means you're doing... - Biggie

• I would have preferred to see a Delta team swoop in and decapitate that little ****er after Trump tapped his shoulder.

I get that we are, hopefully, playing a long game strategy here, to free the NK people, but I dont like seeing our president act nice with that measly little pol pot.... I dunno just dont like it.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    "President Chump...Trump" last night on ABC?
                    And a Fox News reader talked about the "two dictators" meeting. She should probably be fired.

Comment

I wish Trump the best in getting a deal, but we've been here before with better conditions. Thankfully our Chinese and Russian partners are putting their thumbs on the scale.

1992 signed agreement
                      https://peacemaker.un.org/sites/peac...changespdf.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20031217...infcirc457.pdf

2003-2008
                      Wiki for the Six-party talks

Bush removes DPRK from Terror list and they blow up cooling towers.
                      https://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/28/w...a/28korea.html

DPRK agrees to suspend program in exchange for food aid. Launches test missile a few months later.

Text of Trump-Kim agreement
                      https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-k...ay-2018-06-12/

Here is an infographic timeline from the Council on Foreign relations. As a warning, following the link alerts the Tri-Lateral Commission and he Bilderburg Group.
                      https://www.cfr.org/timeline/north-k...r-negotiations

You're research effort was short sighted. Or, to put it in current political jargon a "false equivalent." Unless we're forgetting, what top level administrator from the US sat at a summit table with Kim Senior?

Comment

Working...
                      X