Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Thought he was a sports guy. Oh that's right, leftists ruin everything.b
    There is no sports anymore. Or weather. Or news. It's all just politics. Everywhere. All the time.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

There is no sports anymore. Or weather. Or news. It's all just politics. Everywhere. All the time.
      That is the belief of critical theorists. There is no reality except the oppression/oppressed narrative of politics.
      Livin the dream

Comment

There was a philosopher who suggested that everything is political. Hint: it was not Groucho or Harpo.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• 11 minute video on Kyle Rittenhouse. Well worth your time to watch it!!

Comment

• Comment

• Grand jury charged one of the officers in Louisville.

It's a joke (my biased, non-attorney opinion) but here's what he was charged with:

3 counts of Wanton Endangerment

Wanton endangerment comes in two versions: first degree and second degree. Second-degree wanton endangerment means that the accused has placed another person in substantial danger of physical injury, and is a misdemeanor crime. First-degree wanton endangerment is a felony, and involves creating a situation where another person is at risk of death or serious injury in connection with behavior that manifests "extreme indifference to the value of human life."

But what exactly does "wanton" mean in this context? The definition means that the accused is:

"... aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that the circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that disregard thereof constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation."

If you are wondering whether that definition sounds familiar, then you are likely thinking of the term, "recklessness".

So what are examples of wanton endangerment? Any behavior that involves being aware of a substantial risk to another for which there is no justifiable reason to engage in it will qualify. A Kentucky appeals court has, for example, upheld as first-degree wanton endangerment the act of a person with HIV having unprotected sex with a partner who does not know of his condition.

For the prosecution to prove its case of wanton endangerment, it must be able to establish the defendant's state of mind. A defense attorney may be able to raise sufficient reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors to cast that state of mind into doubt, which would be one way to counter such a charge.

I'm guessing the DA searched for what he could legally charge the officers with as his legal options are limited, as they should be. He came up with this option in order to placate to the mob which is what politicians do these days. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Grand jury charged one of the officers in Louisville.

It's a joke (my biased, non-attorney opinion) but here's what he was charged with:

Wanton endangerment comes in two versions: first degree and second degree. Second-degree wanton endangerment means that the accused has placed another person in substantial danger of physical injury, and is a misdemeanor crime. First-degree wanton endangerment is a felony, and involves creating a situation where another person is at risk of death or serious injury in connection with behavior that manifests "extreme indifference to the value of human life."

But what exactly does "wanton" mean in this context? The definition means that the accused is:

"... aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that the circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that disregard thereof constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation."

If you are wondering whether that definition sounds familiar, then you are likely thinking of the term, "recklessness".

So what are examples of wanton endangerment? Any behavior that involves being aware of a substantial risk to another for which there is no justifiable reason to engage in it will qualify. A Kentucky appeals court has, for example, upheld as first-degree wanton endangerment the act of a person with HIV having unprotected sex with a partner who does not know of his condition.

For the prosecution to prove its case of wanton endangerment, it must be able to establish the defendant's state of mind. A defense attorney may be able to raise sufficient reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors to cast that state of mind into doubt, which would be one way to counter such a charge.

I'm guessing the DA searched for what he could legally charge the officers with as his legal options are limited, as they should be. He came up with this option in order to placate to the mob which is what politicians do these days. Good luck.
                Chicken Wontons?
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I agree. This still will not placate the mob. Anything short of 1st degree murder charges would not have placated them. They want blood and don't care about the facts.

Comment

That's why I drove all the way out to Pratt-Skyline to watch my 8th grade grandson play his first JV 8-man football game this week. But it was worth it. No politics at all, I loved it. Especially since the NFL, MLB, and NBA are totally off my radar screen for now.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 23, 2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for this!
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• The officer that was charged is the same one fired at the beginning of the year, ostensibly for this incident. And the charge APPEARS to be (I haven't had the time or frankly willingness to dig deeper) related to emptying his gun haphazardly, where in the bullets may have potentially injured others in surrounding apartments, thus the recklessness description.

Each count carries a maximum penalty of 5 years prison and a fine, not sure the amount, maybe $5k, each count of the 3. Pure speculation, but if he were to be found guilty, I doubt he'd spend more than 1 year in prison, if that. He was put in the position by his job, and by the man that fired upon him. Tough to convict based on that, and that's IF the judge presiding doesn't throw out the charges, either prior to the trial or upon the almost certain pleading of the defense after (they will claim) the prosecution fails to make the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That's why I drove all the way out to Pratt-Skyline to watch my 8th grade grandson play his first JV 8-man football game this week. But it was worth it. No politics at all, I loved it. Especially since the NFL, MLB, and NBA are totally off my radar screen for now.
                          You should check out the Premier League. The EPL is pretty fun ball to watch!
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

You should check out the Premier League. The EPL is pretty fun ball to watch!
                            But isn’t that soccer?
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• "Regardless of how the courts handle the case, Breonna Taylor’s death reminds us that as a society we have so much more work to do to end systemic racism and move toward justice for all,” Donovan said in the letter, later writing, “the white members of our Bellarmine community to educate yourselves on systemic racism, recognize your part in it, and work toward inclusion.”

Comment

• UFB

You know, if they encouraged, oh **** nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                                X