Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
    We may both be right. The storage is an issue. Ramping up manufacturing is an issue. Distribution is an issue. All this is related to supply chain issues. And they may well have it fixed by March, but the obvious truth here is that the prior administration set a goal of having 20 million people vaccinated by the end of the year and fell woefully short. We were told that vaccines would be available and they are not.

Why the Best Leaders Set Unreasonable Goals

You are so blinded by politics you can't even appreciate the monumental global effort undertaken by various private industries, the Trump administration, local governments far and wide, and countless foreign entities to bring about the vaccinations at a historically breathtaking pace.

That's one hell of an uplifting human story that has unfolded right before your eyes, yet once again due to politics you have missed it completely.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

This is why I keep pointing to this being a supply chain issue. Wufan disagrees with me and says that the vaccines will be unlimited if we can get to March.

We may both be right. The storage is an issue. Ramping up manufacturing is an issue. Distribution is an issue. All this is related to supply chain issues. And they may well have it fixed by March, but the obvious truth here is that the prior administration set a goal of having 20 million people vaccinated by the end of the year and fell woefully short. We were told that vaccines would be available and they are not.

And now the medical experts are telling us we won't have herd immunity until next fall, so somewhere along the way, we lost what would seem like to me would be three months.

I don't think you are going to see critical mass reached until sometime in late March or early April, and then it will be an additional 3-6 months before people who want a vaccine can get one.

Now I'm worried about whether I'm going to have to get a hair cut when the weather gets hot and will still be waiting for a shot. I have been growing it out as a protest and it's getting really long. It will be uncomfortable this summer if we are still in the middle of this pandemic mess.
      Oh, I didn’t say unlimited. I said widely available, meaning that people that are at lower risk will be able to start scheduling appointments.

All of the issues you’ve mentioned have been solved. The fact that it’s not next day delivery via Amazon Prime does not mean that there are any issues. Again, ALL OF THESE “issues” HAVE BEEN SOLVED, meaning they aren’t issues.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
        As I understand it, there is a form that must be completed to get an appointment. Is that form not available unless appointments are available?

I don't want to be political, but anyone out there blaming President Trump (or President Biden for that matter) for any issues getting this into people's arms can go **** themselves running. States, Counties and Cities have had months to work out the details and be ready, but they were too busy blaming others and complaining about a lack of funding to distribute while they were spending money on things like:

For instance, the City of Wichita purchased the 316 Hotel to house the homeless to help prevent the spread of the virus. They will then transition to permanent housing for the homeless in July. $4 million in Cares funding for that. Then there's $1.6 million for HCV Homeless Preference Rent Assistance and another $170K+ to administer said Assistance. All from bonus Cares money, while small business are closing left and right.

Perhaps if they would have spent a little more time planning and a little less time telling the President there was no way a vaccine could be produced that quickly, maybe things would be a little smoother. Looking directly at you DOCTOR (and yes that's completely sarcastic) Whipple.

Comment

• OK, so America is vaccinating about a million people a day. President Biden, not satisfied with that, has announced his plan to inoculate 100 million folks in the next 100 days.........math, it's a heckuva thing........

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            OK, so America is vaccinating about a million people a day. President Biden, not satisfied with that, has announced his plan to inoculate 100 million folks in the next 100 days.........math, it's a heckuva thing........
            It went from zero the beginning of December to 950k right before Biden took office, so Trump was only vaccinating about 450k/day. Now we have Biden, and we will be doubling those numbers to 1million/day.

You have to understand maths if you are going to understand our current administration.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• https://www.technologyreview.com/202...box=1611352767

wow

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

It went from zero the beginning of December to 950k right before Biden took office, so Trump was only vaccinating about 450k/day. Now we have Biden, and we will be doubling those numbers to 1million/day.

You have to understand maths if you are going to understand our current administration.
                So, manufacturers were just sitting on vaccines?? And suddenly the order came to release them??

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

So, manufacturers were just sitting on vaccines?? And suddenly the order came to release them??
                  No. It’s the same today as it was a week ago.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

No. It’s the same today as it was a week ago.
                    So the difference from 0 to 450k and 450k to 1m is what?

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

So the difference from 0 to 450k and 450k to 1m is what?
                      It ramped up from 0 to about 950k over 6 weeks in a more or less linear fashion. It will now plateau off according to Biden. I was using bad maths intentionally to make a point.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                        Well thought out and rational. Need to see more of this. California's outdoor dining ban may have led to spike in cases according to this Dr. and infectious disease expert.

Newsom's order on December 3 quickly shut down outdoor dining statewide, just days after Los Angeles had implemented its own ban, despite officials admitting there was no evidence.

I agree with this and commented on the study a week or so ago. Banning outdoor dining in California at this point in the pandemic cycle is likely too much to ask. You really only have one shot for a good lock-down result and that is early on. After a year many people will take a bullet over more isolation.

Comment

• Hiden Joe already backtracking. Using fear mongering and hyperbole. Saying there is "nothing we can do to change the trajectory of the pandemic over the next several months." That's funny, I thought mask madates, social distancing, and shutting down the entire country was supposed to work? Flippity floppity...

#unity

President Biden has drawn backlash for providing a pessimistic view of his administration's ability to combat the coronavirus pandemic in the near future.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            OK, so America is vaccinating about a million people a day. President Biden, not satisfied with that, has announced his plan to inoculate 100 million folks in the next 100 days.........math, it's a heckuva thing........
                            I wonder why Joe is even trying? He said himself that there is no hope and nothing we can do to slow the trajectory of the virus over the next several months. Guess we should all just hide in our basements.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

As I understand it, there is a form that must be completed to get an appointment. Is that form not available unless appointments are available?

I don't want to be political, but anyone out there blaming President Trump (or President Biden for that matter) for any issues getting this into people's arms can go **** themselves running. States, Counties and Cities have had months to work out the details and be ready, but they were too busy blaming others and complaining about a lack of funding to distribute while they were spending money on things like:

For instance, the City of Wichita purchased the 316 Hotel to house the homeless to help prevent the spread of the virus. They will then transition to permanent housing for the homeless in July. $4 million in Cares funding for that. Then there's $1.6 million for HCV Homeless Preference Rent Assistance and another $170K+ to administer said Assistance. All from bonus Cares money, while small business are closing left and right.

Perhaps if they would have spent a little more time planning and a little less time telling the President there was no way a vaccine could be produced that quickly, maybe things would be a little smoother. Looking directly at you DOCTOR (and yes that's completely sarcastic) Whipple.

My opinion only, but this should have been something handled at the federal level.....and there seems to be some agreement among libertarians:

“Preventing the spread of infectious disease is within the legitimate functions of the minimal state, which most libertarians accept,” says Michael Huemer, a professor of philosophy at the University of Colorado, in Boulder.

“The minimal state’s functions include protecting people from physical threats posed by other people,” Huemer says. “That includes not only behavior that definitely causes physical harm, but also behavior that creates an unreasonable risk of harm to others. Obviously, what is an unreasonable risk is a matter of judgment.”

In Washington, David Boaz, executive vice president of the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, says, “I wouldn’t say we have trouble holding on to libertarian principles. We believe in the presumption of liberty. But that presumption can be overcome in particular circumstances. And that’s part of our understanding of liberty.”

The issue in letting each state 'fend for themselves' is that you end up with 50 different ways of solving a problem. On the plus side, some states may come up with some very effective, innovative ways of solving their problem. On the negative side, there will be process gaps because you have 50 different ways of solving a problem.

So as in life, there are trade-offs with every decision that is made. Is a unified, cohesive strategy that everyone follows better? It might be if you are looking for a consistent outcome. If you are looking at this to incubate ideas, perhaps a decentralized approach might be better.

I don't think we've seen enough to say one approach or the other is best, at least not from my perspective. If we continue to see supply-chain issues (which may be more related to ramping up vaccine production and distribution and that some here have argued is a non-issue) a coordinated federal response would solve problems quicker and drive consistency. But I think it is too early to play Monday-morning quarterback at this point.

I just hope that we learn from this and we have some sort of a 'pandemic playbook' that can be used in the future if, God forbid, we have another pandemic.

Comment

• 21.85 million vaccines administered
                                vaccines.JPG

Comment

Working...
                                X