No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers should make more than cops IMO.... Asking whether I'd like to do one over the other shouldn't be a justification as to pay. Honestly I'd prefer to be a cop vs oversee 20+ 5yr olds though.
    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
      Teachers should make more than cops IMO.... Asking whether I'd like to do one over the other shouldn't be a justification as to pay. Honestly I'd prefer to be a cop vs oversee 20+ 5yr olds though.
      Good deal, we need great teachers and police!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I helped to derail this thread so I'll stop after this...….I get that teachers are frustrated about their job not being upwardly mobile. There isn't a huge ceiling. But that's life.

Seriously, you want a big reward, short of hitting the lottery you are going to have to take big risks. Working half the days in the year, with basically no performance proof other than not getting laid, isn't really high risk. There's give and take with everything. You got a job forever, you won't own an island at 55. Maybe the teachers that can't figure that out should tell us something......
        Admins make big bucks and they have added a lot of admins in the last 30 years. A standard elementary in this country has 6 grades and 2 classes per grade. Music, art, PE, librarian, councilor, speech pathologist, special needs, ESL...let’s call it 28 professionals. Principle and VP, so one in 15 is making six figures. I have a staff of 94: 80 degreed individuals. No one is making six figures.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Admins make big bucks and they have added a lot of admins in the last 30 years. A standard elementary in this country has 6 grades and 2 classes per grade. Music, art, PE, librarian, councilor, speech pathologist, special needs, ESL...let’s call it 28 professionals. Principle and VP, so one in 15 is making six figures. I have a staff of 94: 80 degreed individuals. No one is making six figures.
          BTW, in case you’re curious why scientists don’t make more money, it’s because big pharma and other industries claim there is a shortage in the US and we need to import them from other countries. Because of this, I’m able to hire a PhD analytical chemist for less than $50K/yr. I generally get 20-30 applicants for a job posting that only requires a BS chemistry. Generally 10% have a masters or PhD.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Teachers...we need you! We value what you do! Please help these children by demanding that you be allowed to work!
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              I have come up with a couple solutions for opening up schools safely. Since it is clear that nearly 100% of the infections that are going to happen will happen in the first several weeks of school, a quarantine program for all students could be very effective. Ideally children would stay on campus for 3 weeks after school starts to allow them to infect each other, "recover", and start producing antibodies. After the first 3 weeks (or 14 days after symptoms), they would be allowed to return home. I know this sounds Chinese but... it's the only way to keep from all the parents getting sick. It could be fun too! A great social development tool. Parents could meet with their children outdoors on the playground (MASKS AND SOCIAL DISTANCING 100% ENFORCED) as often as practical.

Cots in the gym, movie night every night, games w/ prizes, counseling, snacks, etc. etc. etc. Make it as fun and as loose a schedule as possible. Instruction would be light for the first 3-4 weeks. This would allow parents to go to work, children to receive some education, and develop a little independence in the process. Win/Win/Win

Parents will be allowed to opt out of the infection/quarantine plan, but they won't be able to bring their kids back to school without a positive serology test or immunization record.

The other solution would be much less effective and involve the child and parents wearing masks 24/7 while at home for the first 3-4 weeks. Compliance would likely be less than 50% and nobody is wearing masks while they sleep so...
              I actually like this. I'm just wondering how many freshman girls would be knocked up in the process.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

I actually like this. I'm just wondering how many freshman girls would be knocked up in the process.
                My first thought was the "Big Mouth" lock in episode.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate that info, and someone else mentioned that also. I researched that a bit and there are quite a few dots to connect there with a WIDE range of outcomes.

And again, yes, people will get this virus, and some will get sick.....a few will get very ill. Fewer still will be young people. Myocarditis can be extremely serious or it can be simple and go away. I have no idea what these 10 players are dealing with, and hopefully they'll all be just fine....but it's likely it's being exaggerated a bit. Especially when it comes to young people.

Just saying there's more to learn here, and I highly doubt whatever people they are listening to have all the details either. But it sounds scary.
                  As I suspected, this is absolutely falling apart. The info that the B1G got is totally flawed.

Comment

As I suspected, this is absolutely falling apart. The info that the B1G got is totally flawed.
                    Details?
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Details?
                        The data presented in the report is purported to be not possible I’m alive people and the control group is not representative of any normally distributed healthy population. Additionally, they seem to have confused mean and median and SD with quadrants.

Whatever the study found, JAMA failed to reject it for a rewrite.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• https://medium.com/@drbrucedale/hydr...s-ae5de7a73570

Why is this not a prevalent treatment in the US? It's effectiveness is being proven daily throughout the globe. Like, use it for those most at risk, since the median age for death is 80 yrs.?

How long has this information been available?
                          Last edited by ShockingButTrue; August 17, 2020, 05:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                            https://medium.com/@drbrucedale/hydr...s-ae5de7a73570

Why is this not a prevalent treatment in the US? It's effectiveness is being proven daily throughout the globe. Like, use it for those most at risk, since the median age for death is 80 yrs.?

How long has this information been available?
                            It is being used in the US. I think it depends on your usage of the word prevalent. There have been some near fraudulent studies, some studies where it was ineffective in very sick patients, and of course the politics of it. They are still studying it’s effectiveness in certain situations, and it’s not clear how well it works due to so many variables.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

It is being used in the US. I think it depends on your usage of the word prevalent. There have been some near fraudulent studies, some studies where it was ineffective in very sick patients, and of course the politics of it. They are still studying it’s effectiveness in certain situations, and it’s not clear how well it works due to so many variables.
                              Look at the correlation between third world countries and covid deaths in Africa where malaria is also an issue. They don’t have clean living conditions, they can’t sanitize, yet it’s not even close to the issue it is in western culture.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/88065

Fauci: Here's How Schools Can Safely Reopen

— Areas with high case loads 'have a choice. You can either close the bars or close the schools'
                                The HIGHLY esteemed doctor has spoken. Plain English for all to understand.

A couple other points before leaving:

Hydroxychloroquine? Really? I mean... I wanted it to be real too in the beginning but... C'mon people.

https://medcitynews.com/2020/08/why-...-for-covid-19/

That shows how membership in Team Hydroxychloroquine has become an emblem for an ideological worldview.

“That’s what happens – hydroxychloroquine has become that brand,” said Timothy Caulfield, a professor of law at the University of Alberta who specializes in public health and science policy, in a phone interview.

Perry refers to the ideology underpinning this anti-science, anti-intellectual attitude as “Christian nationalism,” which is less about religious belief than it is about a tribalistic, us-versus-them worldview based on cultural and ethnic identity.
                                As soon as Trump began promoting the drug, so did his media surrogates like Ingraham, Sean Hannity and Dr. Mehmet Oz. Even after interest died down, it quickly spiked again in May when Trump said he had been taking it to prevent Covid-19.

While White House testing chief Brett Giroir has recently said the drug is not effective, other administration officials, like Peter Navarro, the president’s trade adviser, have continued promoting it.

In a phone interview, Navarro suggested it was not accurate to say that no RCT had shown hydroxychloroquine to be effective. When asked to provide an example of one that had shown the contrary, he said, “This focus on randomized, controlled trials is just very misplaced in a pandemic.”
                                100% political bullshit being used to manipulate the easily manipulated...

And regarding teacher vs nurse pay... wtf? does that have to do with frontline coronavirus risk? Teachers are going to have MORE exposure than nurses and doctors. Every single kid is going to get infected. While science has indicated that child (K-7?) to adult transmission SEEMS to be rare at this point, you've got to imagine that the virus will "find a way". And Covid-19 severity of infection from person to person is still not well understood. Middle School and High School teachers will absolutely be ground zero for this pandemic. Every single one of them will be exposed, and ultimately infected. If I were in their shoes I would sign up for the most respected vaccine trial available ASAP. It's the proper strategic play.

https://www.jweekly.com/2020/07/19/i...ted-kids-home/

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...tl-ldn-vpx.cnn

https://www.dailysabah.com/world/eur...tract-covid-19

It's not even a debate. Bump their pay 50-100% until the vaccine arrives. Treat them like THEIR lives matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X