Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

This times 1000. And I don't want to really get into it but great teachers are underpaid and far more teachers are overpaid. Teachers (at public schools) should have NEVER been allowed to unionize. It's ridiculously stupid, and repetitive. Unless they sleep with a student they basically cannot get fired and the generally spun idea that almost all teachers are "great" is just hogwash.

Teachers are like the rest of society. LOTS of average ones, a few exceptional ones, and many more bad ones.

Average salary of a teacher in Kansas is 55,600, average police officer is 49,500. Which would you rather do? Which one is more underfunded?

I have no problem extolling the virtue of good teachers. Their job is hugely important. It's not a tough job. It's a tough job to do well and few do it really well.

It's a near impossible job to be a cop. 1000 times worse right now. Think it should pay less?

55K, certainly in Kansas, is an excellent wage for a job that requires less than 200 days a year, perhaps substantially less. With incredible benefits.
    Teachers in Kansas make a heck of a lot more than in, say Oklahoma or Texas. I believe my daughter makes close to 55K, but she also lives in Houston. The cost of living in Houston is a lot more than in Wichita (mostly attributable to housing). If I took the money for the home I sold in Houston and used it to buy a home in Wichita, I could have bought in Crestview or Vickridge. As it stands, I now live in a very nice townhome in a lower-cost area, put a good chunk of money in the bank, and have lots of extra room for visitors.

Retirement benefits are better, too. Teachers in Texas used to be able to retire around 50 (or at the latest 55) with full benefits, but now they don't get full benefits until after 60. Since most people (I'm an exception) draw their social security at age 62, that's not much different. Teachers do get a better pension, but I do think public employees should get a nice pension. When I worked as a regulator, I had to suffer under the incompetence and mismanagement from both political parties. Not only that, when I left the state, I got a 20% raise.

My experience may not be the same as most people's, but in the area I worked in, and given the experience and skillset, I would say my experience was typical. At a certain point, the skillset was a bargain for the taxpayer, so the pension benefits kind of balanced the scales and encouraged those people to stay in the trenches.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Teachers in Kansas make a heck of a lot more than in, say Oklahoma or Texas. I believe my daughter makes close to 55K, but she also lives in Houston. The cost of living in Houston is a lot more than in Wichita (mostly attributable to housing). If I took the money for the home I sold in Houston and used it to buy a home in Wichita, I could have bought in Crestview or Vickridge. As it stands, I now live in a very nice townhome in a lower-cost area, put a good chunk of money in the bank, and have lots of extra room for visitors.

Retirement benefits are better, too. Teachers in Texas used to be able to retire around 50 (or at the latest 55) with full benefits, but now they don't get full benefits until after 60. Since most people (I'm an exception) draw their social security at age 62, that's not much different. Teachers do get a better pension, but I do think public employees should get a nice pension. When I worked as a regulator, I had to suffer under the incompetence and mismanagement from both political parties. Not only that, when I left the state, I got a 20% raise.

My experience may not be the same as most people's, but in the area I worked in, and given the experience and skillset, I would say my experience was typical. At a certain point, the skillset was a bargain for the taxpayer, so the pension benefits kind of balanced the scales and encouraged those people to stay in the trenches.
      I don’t have any issue with any of your points, but the average teachers salary in Houston is $59k. That’s slightly more than teachers in Kansas. The average salary of a microbiologist is $59k. One individual is going to have a better standard of living based on benefits alone. Are teachers really underpaid, or is Houston a desirable place to live where there is an abundance of qualified candidates?
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

If you are having a conversation with someone with rona and neither has a mask, you have 5 minutes until you get the rona.

If instead you have a cloth mask on, you have 6 minutes.

If you both have a cloth mask on, you get 7 plus some seconds.

If you have lots more layers and a tight knit, you get a little more time than those posted. If you are using a t-shirt you get less additional time than posted above.

It's not about work/don't work. It's about how much extra time you get in any given situation.
        What if we're outside? Does that give us a bonus 5-10 minutes?
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

What if we're outside? Does that give us a bonus 5-10 minutes?
          So there are a million what-ifs. Of course being outside makes a huge difference. Of course being 6ft away makes a huge difference. Of course being coughed on or sneezed on during the conversation makes a huge difference. If the person is yelling instead of speaking? Shorter time. How many layers of cloth do you both have? What if you aren't talking, but just walking the same path over and over and over as in a grocery store?

All you can do is be informed of the baseline and then start making your own reasonable guesstimates.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I don’t have any issue with any of your points, but the average teachers salary in Houston is $59k. That’s slightly more than teachers in Kansas. The average salary of a microbiologist is $59k. One individual is going to have a better standard of living based on benefits alone. Are teachers really underpaid, or is Houston a desirable place to live where there is an abundance of qualified candidates?
            I'm going to say that this is an individual value judgement and there are tradeoffs - do you like living in a big bustling city or do you prefer a rural laid-back lifestyle? Each had plusses or minuses.

I would further say that there is **probably** a lack of qualified teachers, basing my response on some of the stuff that Fort Worth was trying to do in previous years (for instance, recruiting in Oklahoma when the legislature was trying to cut teacher pay and benefits).

If Fort Worth was having issues recruiting enough qualified teachers, I would suspect other areas would as well.

And not only that, we will probably have a lot of teachers retire during this pandemic. I've heard this might wipe the boomers out (but I will hang in there and survive because I'm working for a large FI and working at home).

P.S. I would think a microbiologist in Houston would make quite a bit more money. Lots of research going on in the Medical Center area.
            Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; August 18, 2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Teachers in Kansas make a heck of a lot more than in, say Oklahoma or Texas.
              The same site I got that number for Kansas has Oklahoma at $54,800 and Texas at $57,200. "A heck of a lot more" must mean something different in Texas.

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
              I believe my daughter makes close to 55K, but she also lives in Houston.
              Hmm....I'm happy for your daughter? Sad she doesn't make more? Glad you pointed that out? Not sure what it has to do with my point?

The cost of living in Houston is a lot more than in Wichita (mostly attributable to housing).

Source? My guess is you're right, but then I would guess that averages of everything probably are higher across the board in Houston. That's why I used a broader state wide number.

If I took the money for the home I sold in Houston and used it to buy a home in Wichita, I could have bought in Crestview or Vickridge. As it stands, I now live in a very nice townhome in a lower-cost area, put a good chunk of money in the bank, and have lots of extra room for visitors.

Bully!

You seem to make this kind of comment quite often. It's somewhat self inflating. I'm sure Jamie, Russ, Ken, Bruce and many of the others in Vickridge would welcome you with open arms though should you choose to bring your massive wealth and talents to the 316

Retirement benefits are better, too. Teachers in Texas used to be able to retire around 50 (or at the latest 55) with full benefits, but now they don't get full benefits until after 60.

I don't know your source for this or if your comment is opinion (they can't retire because they can't get enough pension to live on) or rules based (they can't collect a full pension until 60) but nevertheless, people are living longer lives and that means adjusting. The same money going in that once lasted say 15 years doesn't last 25 years unless A) more money is put in or B) less money is taken out per year. Living longer is (generally) a good thing.

Since most people (I'm an exception) draw their social security at age 62, that's not much different.
              Again drawing unneeded attention to yourself.

Teachers do get a better pension, but I do think public employees should get a nice pension.

Curious, why do you think that? Why should public employees, who generally aren't subjected to the same rigors of performance that private sector employees are, get "a nice pension" at the expense of the tax payers? Please explain your thinking here, I'm very interested.

My opinion, for what it's worth (not much) is that public sector jobs should pay less than private sector, be fairly protected and offer little in the way of upward mobility, meaning if you're looking to get rich then you should take your talents to the private marketplace. They should have good benefits especially in healthcare. They should NEVER be allowed to unionize.

When I worked as a regulator, I had to suffer under the incompetence and mismanagement from both political parties. Not only that, when I left the state, I got a 20% raise.

Like, 3 times in one paragraph you pointed out or tried to point out your superiority. Again. Congrats on the raise by the way.

I think most people believe their opinion and experiences are mainstream, and most other people think mine or yours are not. But, again, attention drawn.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

The same site I got that number for Kansas has Oklahoma at $54,800 and Texas at $57,200. "A heck of a lot more" must mean something different in Texas.

Hmm....I'm happy for your daughter? Sad she doesn't make more? Glad you pointed that out? Not sure what it has to do with my point?

Source? My guess is you're right, but then I would guess that averages of everything probably are higher across the board in Houston. That's why I used a broader state wide number.

Bully!

You seem to make this kind of comment quite often. It's somewhat self inflating. I'm sure Jamie, Russ, Ken, Bruce and many of the others in Vickridge would welcome you with open arms though should you choose to bring your massive wealth and talents to the 316

I don't know your source for this or if your comment is opinion (they can't retire because they can't get enough pension to live on) or rules based (they can't collect a full pension until 60) but nevertheless, people are living longer lives and that means adjusting. The same money going in that once lasted say 15 years doesn't last 25 years unless A) more money is put in or B) less money is taken out per year. Living longer is (generally) a good thing.

Curious, why do you think that? Why should public employees, who generally aren't subjected to the same rigors of performance that private sector employees are, get "a nice pension" at the expense of the tax payers? Please explain your thinking here, I'm very interested.

My opinion, for what it's worth (not much) is that public sector jobs should pay less than private sector, be fairly protected and offer little in the way of upward mobility, meaning if you're looking to get rich then you should take your talents to the private marketplace. They should have good benefits especially in healthcare. They should NEVER be allowed to unionize.

Like, 3 times in one paragraph you pointed out or tried to point out your superiority. Again. Congrats on the raise by the way.

I think most people believe their opinion and experiences are mainstream, and most other people think mine or yours are not. But, again, attention drawn.
                Reason comments were made that were related to my own experience is that if I just made the statement, I would probably be called out for making overly broad comments and applying them to the entire group.

Public employees are subjected to the same rigors of performance, if you do not agree, please provide contexting.

I agree with most of your comments regarding public sector employees. Benefits are a good retirement and benefits, tradeoff is a lack of pay. I got frustrated and tired of the pay and management smog. I have always been happy I moved on. I've never regretted it for a second.

I will try to draw less attention to myself in the future, provided someone doesn't start arguing with me about the experiences I've had in my life. I've probably lived a little differently than most of you, but I appreciate the feedback. I don't want to come across as self-serving.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Not to mention that the $59K for the teacher is for roughly 9 months of work out of 12 right? Not knocking teachers but I am getting tired of all of their BS spewing.

Comment

P.S. I would think a microbiologist in Houston would make quite a bit more money. Lots of research going on in the Medical Center area.
                    But they aren’t. And, teachers in House on make more than teachers in Kansas. Certainly where you prefer to live impacts pay, but your statement was that Houston was expensive. Why not live somewhere less expensive? All these teachers are going to retire (early) but they don’t make enough money? Something isn’t adding up here.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

The fact that you still don’t understand how you misused the word says it all.

Comment

Reason comments were made that were related to my own experience is that if I just made the statement, I would probably be called out for making overly broad comments and applying them to the entire group.

Public employees are subjected to the same rigors of performance, if you do not agree, please provide contexting.

I agree with most of your comments regarding public sector employees. Benefits are a good retirement and benefits, tradeoff is a lack of pay. I got frustrated and tired of the pay and management smog. I have always been happy I moved on. I've never regretted it for a second.

I will try to draw less attention to myself in the future, provided someone doesn't start arguing with me about the experiences I've had in my life. I've probably lived a little differently than most of you, but I appreciate the feedback. I don't want to come across as self-serving.

Thanks for your feedback.
                        Bro, you don't need to apologize for anything. You just triggered Doc because something hurt deep inside so he had to lash out and then follow that up by projecting.

Your comments:

Very reasonable statement for someone who's lived within an hour's commute of any major city in America. It's simply a fact that a modest home near a major city would buy a "mansion" in Wichita. This reality exists because most people don't want to live in Podunk towns where a major evening would be trivia at Applebees.

Now Doc's:

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Bully!

This is the rant of a triggered man. No time to psychoanalyze it properly. I'll just let it stand on its own.

One projective comment though... right after accusing you of bragging, when you were merely illustrating the cost-of-living differences via comparative R.E. valuations is particularly sad...

I'm sure Jamie, Russ, Ken, Bruce and many of the others in Vickridge would welcome you with open arms though should you choose to bring your massive wealth and talents to the 316
                        Doc likes to be the guy with the "inside info", "the tickets", and apparently... "the wealth".

Don't cross him again! You've been warned!

LOL!

Comment

• It’s not like I have before, but I’ll never take you seriously again Cold until you drop your “I’m a conservative” shtick.

Cant debate a person who constantly starts from a dishonest spot.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Cold watching Michele Obuma's little speech last night...

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              Cold watching Michele Obuma's little speech last night...

The "Oh! Face".

****ing Lumbergh.

Solid.

I absolutely did not watch the Virtual Dim Convention.

Comment

• New Poll Reveals How Shockingly Ignorant People Are About COVID, How Damaging Media Lies Have Been

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/202...e-about-covid/

Comment

Working...
                                X