• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGB86h_JLNA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mmSr...eature=related
      Well, he has a pretty sweet swing. Hopefully he can have that pop carry over to a wood bat.
      "You can observe a lot just by watching."
      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

After watching his scouting video on MLB.com, I came away impressed with how quickly his bat moves through the hitting zone, especially on waist-high pitches.

Comment

As long as the kid hits, it'll be a good pick. He better hit, though, because he doesn't have any other tools to fall back on.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

damg i was really hoping that the royals would have selected conor with the 36th pick
            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

With pick 36 they got Michael Montgomery. A 6'5" LHP from Hart HS (CA)

Summary: Every spring, there seem to be high school lefties who gain some "helium" and move up Draft charts. Montgomery is one of them this season, thanks to a spike in velocity that has the southpaw getting up to 93 mph. Combine that with decent command and a projectable frame and he's becoming more intriguing to teams willing to work with him on developing his secondary offerings.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Fastball: Montgomery has had a jump in velocity up to 93 mph, though he sits comfortably at 90.
                Fastball movement: When he throws it downhill, it usually has sink and tail.
                Curve: It's slurvy, at 76-78 mph, and he bounces them more often than not. Every so often, he breaks off a good one.
                Changeup: He's developing a feel for it, but right now it's a show-me pitch at 79-82 mph.
                Palm ball: It has curve action, a downward roller with bite and depth. It's an average pitch at times.
                Control: He's a consistent strike thrower and is usually around the plate, particularly with the fastball and palm ball.
                Poise: He's got good demeanor on the mound.
                Physical Description: Montgomery is tall and lanky with a projectable frame. He's got long arms. He's a long leverage type of pitcher.
                Medical Update: Healthy.
                Strengths: The jump in velocity, his ability to throw strikes and his projectable frame.
                Weaknesses: Right now, he's just a two-pitch pitcher and it's unclear whether the palm ball will work at the next level. You have to project on the breaking ball and changeup.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by Indy23
                  As long as the kid hits, it'll be a good pick. He better hit, though, because he doesn't have any other tools to fall back on.
                  He's supposed to be a pretty good fielder with a strong arm, hitting the 90s off the mound. Hopefully, he'll pan out. I won't plan on seeing him in KC for 3-5 years, however.
                  -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Very interesting pick in the 4th for the Royals in Melville. Guy is demanding top half of the first round money. It could be a heck of a statement by the Royals if they get him signed.

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
                      He's supposed to be a pretty good fielder with a strong arm, hitting the 90s off the mound. Hopefully, he'll pan out. I won't plan on seeing him in KC for 3-5 years, however.
                      He's a first baseman. His arm strength is not an asset. If we need him to pitch, we've officially reached a new level of suckitude. And any ML infielder should be able to play first base well. It's not a difficult position to play.

I've heard they're going to try him in the outfield from the start, to see if he can handle it. I think it's a great idea. Anybody can play first. But honestly I've never seen him play live, so I really have no idea. I was just hoping for a five-tool stud, but apparently other teams want those guys too.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

The Royals are really going young so far. Of the first 12 picks, 10 are from the HS ranks. Of those 10, 5 are pitchers.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

He's a first baseman. His arm strength is not an asset. If we need him to pitch, we've officially reached a new level of suckitude. And any ML infielder should be able to play first base well. It's not a difficult position to play.
                          i am a little dumbfounded by that statement. if its such an easy position to play then all one would really need to do is draft SS as they are usually the most athletic of all infielders. each infield position has its own nuances and first base has a few more than the others. a decent 1B can turn an average infielder into a gold glove contender and not many would ever know.

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929

I've heard they're going to try him in the outfield from the start, to see if he can handle it. I think it's a great idea. Anybody can play first. But honestly I've never seen him play live, so I really have no idea. I was
                            just hoping for a five-tool stud, but apparently other teams want those guys too.
                            The first baseman is the prime relay man on throws to home from the outfield. Arm strength does matter at first and so does a solid glove and footwork. Ask any infielder who has played any sort of high level baseball and they'll all tell you the same thing if they have a first baseman who is good; "He's saved me quite a few errors over my career." Yes, most middle infielders could play 1st base, but most of them cannot hit with plus power and aren't very tall, something you look for from a first baseman. The taller the fielder, the bigger the target for the other infielders. For example: what first baseman would you rather have: Ryan Howard, who hits with power, has size and has a solid glove.... or Ross Gload, a solid glove with no power or size. I'd go with Howard.
                            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Hey, we beat the Yanks.

Nice work by Davies.

Comment

And that was great news that my brother and I got when we got into the car last night around 11pm. With the way things have been going we were dreading hearing the score. Lets see if they can build off of this and right the ship...
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X