Clear All

• Aargh
    replied
    Kansas Earthquake.jpg

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
    By far the strongest one I've felt at 13th & Greenwich. If a 3.9 is that much stronger than a 3.7...I'd hate to experience something in the fours centered so close.
    Well a 4 is 10 times the amplitude and 32 times the energy released by a 3. According to this calculator on the USGS site a 3.9 is 1.584 times bigger than a 3.7 and is 1.995 times stronger (energy release).

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program, responsible for monitoring, reporting, and researching earthquakes and earthquake hazards

A magnitude 4.5 would be 4 times bigger and about 8 times stronger than a 3.9. So yeah, let's hope we topped out with this one.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 30, 2020, 11:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ted Lasso's Neighbor
    replied
    One that struck in Croatia yesterday - not sure if it was the main one or an aftershock - was caught on camera in the video below -

I wonder if KWCH captured something this morning on their cameras on their early morning news. I checked their site and they had a story only so maybe there's no video.
    Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; December 30, 2020, 10:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NCAABound
    replied
    By far the strongest one I've felt at 13th & Greenwich. If a 3.9 is that much stronger than a 3.7...I'd hate to experience something in the fours centered so close.

Leave a comment:

• JVShocker
    replied
    Originally posted by WstateU View Post
    Didn't have Taco Shop last night, so I can't take the blame for this one...

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Didn't have Taco Shop last night, so I can't take the blame for this one...

Leave a comment:

• shocktheheart
    replied
    Woke me up at 13th and Maize

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    KGS is now showing it on there website as a 3.9.

However, they are showing it centered about 1/4 mile east of Greenwich Road and 1/4 mile South of Central.

Magnitude wise KGS and USGS seem to always vary a few miles in location. Not sure why that is.

My colleague at work said she felt the quake in Rose Hill.

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    Biggun.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXJOCK
    replied
    Woke me up way over on the westside 29th and Ridge area.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    According to USGS a 3.8, 5km deep located on Rock Road, a quarter mile south of 13th street (east edge of Wichita Country Club). About 3 miles from my house.

KGS not reporting this one yet. Right now showing a 2.0 on the north edge of Town East about 20 minutes after the aforementioned shake. I did not feel that. Not sure how they could miss the much bigger shake 20 minutes earlier.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    KGS called one at 5:23 AM. Well, I know they're full of crap, unless there was a second one that I didn't feel and are not listing the bigger one yet. Strange.

USGS says 3.8 at 5:04 AM as @ Triticum aestivum L. said.

Add: KGS has 17 quakes in Wichita since this started. USGS has 22 just over the last 30 days.
    Last edited by ShockTalk; December 30, 2020, 07:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Andover area as well and I'm a sound sleeper, but woke up on that one.

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    replied
    Yep. We live in Andover as well. Woke me up.

Leave a comment:

• Triticum aestivum L.
    replied
    Oh yeah. 3.8, strong in Andover. Others have just been loud, this one was shaky too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X