X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
    IMO, the quakes this time and back in November mimic injection well quakes. Instead of water from a well, it could be water from some storm drains are funneling water into an area near a fault and causing issues after we have a lot of rain. Seems like with all the new construction around 96 and Greenwich, a lot of building and concrete has replaced open fields, and all the rainwater is getting diverted somewhere now. Hopefully the state, county, and city, are looking at recently constructed storm drains as a possible issue.
    I don't know about that. The epicenter of the quakes are at a depth of around 5 km (3.1 miles). That's a long way for the water to travel.

Leave a comment:

• Ted Lasso's Neighbor
    replied
    IMO, the quakes this time and back in November mimic injection well quakes. Instead of water from a well, it could be water from some storm drains are funneling water into an area near a fault and causing issues after we have a lot of rain. Seems like with all the new construction around 96 and Greenwich, a lot of building and concrete has replaced open fields, and all the rainwater is getting diverted somewhere now. Hopefully the state, county, and city, are looking at recently constructed storm drains as a possible issue.

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

By the time the "big" one hits, we'll all probably be pushing up daisies.
    To be clear, for those sarcastically challenged, "big" meant for this area, 4.0-4.5ish range.

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    replied
    The wife asked me if I felt them. My reply "I always feel the earth move with you sweetheart" was not the response she was looking for or expecting. But really in my defense she should have totally expected my response.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Felt all three as quick jolts to the house here in BuCo.

Leave a comment:

• 1979Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Might be in for a repeat of that November Saturday when we had about half a dozen over a couple of hours. Kind of feels like the "big" one is yet to happen in this sequence.
    By the time the "big" one hits, we'll all probably be pushing up daisies.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    I hadn’t felt any of these on the northwest side but those ones finally did it. Wow

Leave a comment:

• B1ShockFan
    replied
    Sounded almost like an explosion.

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    Might be in for a repeat of that November Saturday when we had about half a dozen over a couple of hours. Kind of feels like the "big" one is yet to happen in this sequence.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    According to KGS it was a 3.6 emanting from the 13th and Greenwich area. Same general location the swarm we had in December was located.

http://maps.kgs.ku.edu/earthquake_mi...&id=1001467326

Per KSN news USGS reported 2 quakes just minutes apart at 3.4 and 3.5 magnitude.

https://www.ksn.com/news/local/wake-...-early-sunday/

There was number 3 just now at 7:02 am CDT. A 3.2 near the Wichita Country Club just SE of 13th and Rock Road.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 14, 2021, 07:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    WTF was that?
    Damn. We had one that seemed to last longer than normal followed shortly thereafter with a big popper and shaker. Around 6'30 CDT.

Mother Nature bringing in daylight savings time with a bang this year.

Leave a comment:

• B1ShockFan
    replied
    Wow

Leave a comment:

• WuDrWu
    replied
    WTF was that?

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    I thought I might have felt a mild bump early this morning. I've been wondering whether USGS or KGS had the better data as there were consistently some differences.

Leave a comment:

• Ted Lasso's Neighbor
    replied
    KWCH had a story on their news Monday saying there was 2.2 m earthquake early Monday am in the same area as the others (http://maps.kgs.ku.edu/earthquake_mi...&id=1001466370) and they interviewed a retired WSU geology professor who said there may be a fault where they're happening that hasn't been discovered in the past. He also said the KGS has better data coverage than the USGS. Here's a link to the article and video - https://www.kwch.com/2021/01/05/geol...a-earthquakes/
    Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; January 4, 2021, 10:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X