Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

1-0 USA at half after this Golazo from Tyler Adams.

In case you would like something else to watch besides March Madness, turn to Univision or Paramount+.
    It's a cracker from 30 meters!!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Dos a cero!!!
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• This game had everything you could want as a US fan.

- A golazo from Tyler Adams
        - Dos a cero
        - Santi Gimenez taking a dive, having a penalty called, and then rescinded, resulting in him getting a yellow card for simulation
        - Mexican fans not being able to control themselves and continuing to throw objects at our players and do their chant

It was perfection.
        Last edited by Kel Varnsen; March 25, 2024, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Relevent poses threat to MLS and USL after deal with FIFA (msn.com)

Although an agreement is in place with FIFA, Relevent’s lawsuit against US Soccer has not changed. The governing body of the sport in the United States has regularly attempted to block Relevent’s plan to schedule foreign games in America. The organization previously refused to sanction an Ecuadorian LigaPro matchup here in the United States

Nevertheless, the deal between FIFA and US Soccer could be a clue that meaningful foreign matches will eventually come to the States. If so, domestic leagues such as Major League Soccer (MLS) and the United Soccer League (USL) could very well take a hit.

There is no doubting the pull that major European clubs currently have across the globe, including in America. A recent report rated the 100 most popular soccer teams on American television in 2023. The highest MLS side in the list, Inter Miami, only managed to grab the 39th spot. Meanwhile, 18 English clubs ranked higher than Lionel Messi’s team.

US Soccer is certainly quite aware of the popularity of European soccer clubs. The organization maintains its stance in blocking Relevent’s plans. This comes down to the impending dip in MLS and USL interest with European leagues playing meaningful games.​
          Being someone who seems to be in the minority and doesn't really care about Euro soccer, this would have zero impact on me and my interest in MLS. But I seem to be the exception to the rule. I'd be curious what some of you who follow the sport more closely think on how big the impact to MLS could be.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            Relevent poses threat to MLS and USL after deal with FIFA (msn.com)

Being someone who seems to be in the minority and doesn't really care about Euro soccer, this would have zero impact on me and my interest in MLS. But I seem to be the exception to the rule. I'd be curious what some of you who follow the sport more closely think on how big the impact to MLS could be.
            I can see why US Soccer (who is responsible for MLS) does not want it. Non-domestic league games are already a huge appeal to people and they don't want to cut into their market.

For me, it would be cool. I don't really follow MLS that much although I like when Sporting does well, but I care infinitely more about the USMNT than the MLS, and find EPL soccer more entertaining than MLS.

The puzzling thing for me that MLS did was the whole AppleTV deal. That's a disaster. Even if I wanted to watch it, I would need a subscription.

Comment

The puzzling thing for me that MLS did was the whole AppleTV deal. That's a disaster. Even if I wanted to watch it, I would need a subscription.
              That one never made sense. I'm sure Apple is paying MLS well, but the league was still growing and building influence and then it was taken off of the mainstream and hidden behind a paywall.

My nephew loves soccer so my sister pays for the channel. I have access, but I miss being able to just sit and watch nearly every SKC game on TV. I'm sure it's hurt viewership.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This game had everything you could want as a US fan.

- A golazo from Tyler Adams
                - Dos a cero
                - Santi Gimenez taking a dive, having a penalty called, and then rescinded, resulting in him getting a yellow card for simulation
                - Mexican fans not being able to control themselves and continuing to throw objects at our players and do their chant

It was perfection.
                I've watched it 100 times at least.....what a BOMBASSO from Tyler Adams.

Comment

• This is pretty cool

Madrid's Iconic Football Stadium Now has a 4-Story Underground Greenhouse to Store 'Retractable' Grass Field

Real Madrid’s cathedral of a soccer stadium has just finished state-of-the-art renovations that include a retractable roof and—if it can be believed—a retractable field.

You read that correctly. When the 12-time champions of Europe are not in action, the entire natural grass pitch is moved on segmented, hydraulic-powered platforms onto shelves in an underground greenhouse 4 stories deep.

Inside it’s bathed in UV growing lights for 14 hours and routinely watered until game day.

The stadium, known as the Santiago Bernabeu, underwent five (active) years of renovations starting in 2017 that cost a total of €1.17 billion, which was almost double the original cost because of delays from the pandemic and the war in Ukraine.

A fixed roof of 28,000 m² and a retractable roof of 8,000 m² allow the stadium to be used every day of the year, regardless of weather conditions. The retractable pitch was unveiled to many fans as a delightful joke—when the club posted pictures on their social media accounts of the famous stadium with no pitch and a giant hole in the floor.

The underground greenhouse is equipped with ventilation, climate control, lighting, monitoring, and irrigation systems, ensuring optimal conditions for turf preservation and facilitating continuous maintenance without interfering with stadium events.

There’s probably something to be said for efficiency and water savings by preventing the Sun from drying out the pitch, but at the end of the day, it’s more just about the incredible engineering accomplishment.

There's a two and a half minute video at the bottom of the article showing the process. It's quite fascinating.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Holy crap

Comment

• Not many bigger fans of sports in general than me. Gotta be a one tenth of 1%er.

A) I have no idea how they did that for just 1.7 billion. That looks to be a 50 billion project if there ever was one.

B) Maybe we should be spending some of that on something more practical. And again, I love sports. But damn....it's just ****ing grass.

Comment

• I'd have to read it again, but was the whole project, including retractable roof, 1.17B or was that just for the underground greenhouse?
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          B) Maybe we should be spending some of that on something more practical. And again, I love sports. But damn....it's just ****ing grass.
                          My thoughts exactly. While crazy cool from an engineering perspective, this feels really gross from a society perspective.

"Find a cure for a disease, or build 4 story underground hydraulic bunker for a perfect pitch?"

"Find a cure for a disease, or build 4 story underground hydraulic bunker for a perfect pitch?"

"Ehhh, tough choice here ..."

"Let's go with ... 4 story underground grass growing bunker!"

This is almost "Let them eat cake" gross.

Side note: I'm shocked out how shallow the earth layer is. The roots on that grass have to be thin strings. Weird.

Comment

• I don’t know if anyone watched the Columbia game, but what an embarrassment. I can’t believe we rehired HCGB. His tactical incompetence with the most technically gifted group of US players ever is embarrassing.

Bring in Klopp. Whatever it takes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                              I don’t know if anyone watched the Columbia game, but what an embarrassment. I can’t believe we rehired HCGB. His tactical incompetence with the most technically gifted group of US players ever is embarrassing.

Bring in Klopp. Whatever it takes.
                              Gonna get the snot kicked out of us again tonight by Brazil most likely (6 CST on TNT or TruTV).

Columbia is far stronger than most people think, but they _should_ have been very even with the US. Not sure if Columbia is even better than I thought or the US is worse, or both?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Gonna get the snot kicked out of us again tonight by Brazil most likely (6 CST on TNT or TruTV).

Columbia is far stronger than most people think, but they _should_ have been very even with the US. Not sure if Columbia is even better than I thought or the US is worse, or both?
                                Now that Soccer 3G has been given carte blanche to run the program into the ground, he seems bound and determined to do it.

We look disorganized, disoriented, and disinterested in putting in the effort to compete at the international level.

All US Soccer cares about is money.

Comment

Working...
                                X