Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    $30 Million Kansas Tax Dollars to help KC host the World Cup? This is just flat out crazy.
    Yeah, CRAZY CHEAP. My gosh if they pull it off for that it would be a massive windfall for Kansas.

Research shows that tourism bumps for World Cup or Summer Olympics events is around 8%. Kansas' tourism rakes in about $12.5B annually. 8% of $12.5B is $1B.

Think of that. We could invest $30,000,000 and are likely to drive over $1,000,000,000 of economic impact. Opportunities like that come very far and few between in a lifetime.

That's a no-brainer.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Yeah, CRAZY CHEAP. My gosh if they pull it off for that it would be a massive windfall for Kansas.

Research shows that tourism bumps for World Cup or Summer Olympics events is around 8%. Kansas' tourism rakes in about $12.5B annually. 8% of $12.5B is $1B.

Think of that. We could invest $30,000,000 and are likely to drive over $1,000,000,000 of economic impact. Opportunities like that come very far and few between in a lifetime.

That's a no-brainer.
      It’s mostly sales and Hotel tax money in the pockets of NE Ks, and NW Missouri. There will be little tourism in Wichita, Salina, Dodge City, Hays, etc. Worlds of Fun, Boulevard Brewery, KC restaurants, museums, etc will all do well.

Comment

• Round 4 of the FA Cup being contested this weekend. After all the replays, they'll be down to the Sweet 16.

The gem of the day was early this morning when National League South side Maidstone United traveled to Championship Ipswich Town.

The Wind Surge at the Padres would be more competitive by comparison.

It was a fantastic match. Maidstone survived an early onslaught then just before half found success on a counter and led 1 nil at the break.

Ipswich tied it early in the 2nd half but then Corne for Maidstone broke in again and after a delicious first touch, put the game winner in the back of the net. The Stones then hung on the last 25 minutes or so to advance. It was joyous to see people that are barely professionals (including a young sub for Maidstone that was born and raised there...getting thrown into the mix of the biggest match in club history at crunch time....and he's just 17. Their fans, about 4k, were all in tears basically. Just great theatre.

Watch the replay on the + and you won't be disappointed.

Final 16 will have at least 7 Premier, 4 Championship and one National League South members. The 4 yet to be determined spots (at least by league) will probably be 3 Premier and 1 Championship level teams, but I'll be rooting for League 2 members Newport County (hosting Man U tomorrow) and Wrexham (at Blackburn Rovers) Monday afternoon, to pull off their own huge upsets.

Since the FA Cup is still a real draw (each round is randomly selected, no seeds) there's still a real chance that if those 2 could somehow win (or even 1) we could have say Wrexham at Maidstone for a spot in the quarterfinals. Good stuff!

Comment

• Super busy today and no computer time. Messi plays Ronaldo tomorrow (Al Nassr vs Inter Miami) at noon. Apple TV+. Are there any other options than Apple TV+ that people are aware of?

Comment

• I am not.

Also, the MLS deal with Apple has really had a negative impact on my care for MLS, as I don't want to pay for yet another subscription.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I am not.

Also, the MLS deal with Apple has really had a negative impact on my care for MLS, as I don't want to pay for yet another subscription.
              Me neither. Especially Apple. I'll start looking now that I have a little time.

Comment

• No Ronaldo today .. out with a calf injury.

Comment

• Gianni Infantino hamming it up with Drake and Kevin Hart for this World Cup Schedule Reveal is hilarious.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• And now Rob Stone is talking to Kim Kardashian. This is a new level of cringe, even for FIFA.

Comment

• Did someone make Kevin Hart do that?

He appeared to be really uncomfortable.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Did someone make Kevin Hart do that?

He appeared to be really uncomfortable.
                        He really did. Drake at least acted like he kind of enjoyed himself. Infantino in a zip-up hoodie looked like something out of a Sacha Baron Cohen movie.

Rob Stone looked like he was legitimately pained to interview Kim K. I don’t blame him.

Comment

• That’s…weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                            And now Rob Stone is talking to Kim Kardashian. This is a new level of cringe, even for FIFA.
                            Traveling and missed it. Pretty bad, huh?

All USMNT on West Coast sucks! Was that FIFA'S call?

Comment

• I've never followed much in depth, but at what point are those who qualify known? I know it will be a while, I'm just curious as to when we may find out who might be in KC.

Personally, I hope that Wales finds a way to qualify again. If they ended up in KC I'd have to strongly consider going. I might also make such an effort if Ireland were to be there. They're the only two countries I have any strong connections to outside of the US. I know neither are powers by any means.
                              Last edited by SubGod22; February 27, 2024, 02:29 PM.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                I've never followed much in depth, but at what point are those who qualify known? I know it will be a while, I'm just curious as to when we may find out who might be in KC.

Personally, I hope that Wales finds a way to qualify again. If they ended up in KC I'd have to strongly consider going. I might also make such an effort if Ireland was there. They're the only two countries I have any strong connections to outside of the US. I know neither our powers by any means.
                                We probably won’t know the full list of qualifying teams until around six months before the World Cup, and the Draw (where countries are slotted into groups) will happen around that time as well. So winter 2025-2026 is what I’m guessing.
                                Last edited by Kel Varnsen; February 5, 2024, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X