Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    If you missed the CONCACAF Nations League Final last night between Estadios Unidos y Mexico, I feel bad for you.

The match literally had everything, including a fan running onto the Paramount set and then jumping off the set (I have no idea how many feet in the air but it wasn't 2 or 3) behind Clint Dempsey who barely flinched.

Yellows, Reds, extra time, missed calls, goal disallowed, VAR, fan riots, US comeback once, twice, take lead, huge PK save, Coach gets red carded, pee thrown at players. Players injured with trash. Epic evening in Colorado.
    I am exhausted today, but it was so worth it. If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, now's the time. Next decade could be a lot of fun.

Pulisic and Reyna are so good. Reyna really impressed me the last two games, doing what he did at 18 years old. He's a gamer. I think Tyler Adams, Weston McKennie, and John Brooks may be even more important to this team than those two, though. We need more proven depth at those positions, the prospects are there just need them to grow now and experience those big games.

Striker, both outside back positions, and second center-back are the weak spots. I don't think Sargent or Siebatcheu are going to be the striker we want. All my eggs are in Daryl Dike's basket right now. Obviously Dest is a starter, but who is the other outside back? Not sure what to make of Yedlin, Robinson, Cannon, Bryan Reynolds. Mark McKenzie made that huge mistake early but played better as the game wore on. I don't think anyone is going to stand in Chris Richards way though after this next season.

Comment

• Italy or Turkey? Anybody have some insight? My wife has a (non-monetary) betting interest in that game.

Comment

• Awful this morning. Can’t remember a more tragic sports moment on live TV. Probably a couple equally as bad, but I don’t even want to remember them.

Prayers to Christian Eriksen of Denmark.

Comment

• I had to turn the channel after the chest compressions started. Good news is he's awake and stable at the hospital and undergoing further testing.

Comment

• Kind of a goofy start to CONCACAF qualifying for next years World Cup.

USMNT started very slow (and somewhat shorthanded) by drawing at El Salvador to open qualifying last month. They came home and drew with Canada, a suddenly athletic side that is going to give a lot of teams problems with their youth and speed.

2 points in 2 games won't get it done. Felt like the panic button was pushed at Honduras. Recently committed Ricardo Pepi, the 18 year old wonderkid who holds dual citizenship here and in Mexico, was inserted into the starting lineup. It didn't seem to matter as Honduras dominated the premier tiempo and scored in the 27th minute and led 1-0 at halftime. Shortly after half, Pepi's initial attempt on goal was pounced on by Antonee Robinson and the US were level. Christian Pulisic exited with an injury, but the US continued with forward movement on the ball.

Pepi scored his 1st of what is sure to many goals for the National Team off a DeAndre Yedlin cross in the 75th minute, Pepi assisted on 2 more goals to help defeat the Hondurans 4-1.

5 points in 3 games righted the ship somewhat, although the US were technically in a playoff position after 3 of 14 qualifying matches.

Fast forward to last week when the US defeated a game Jamaican side 2 nil in San Antonio. Pepi scored both goals and announced his presence on the World stage. 3 goals and 2 assists in his first 2 caps.

Canada traveled to Azteca and found a late goal to tie Mexico and lo and behold, the Americans were on top of the standings after 4 matches.

Then last night. The US traveled to Panama and benched many of their stars that were available, including Pepi. Inexcusable coaching if you ask me. The result was a 1 nil loss to the Panamanians. Pepi and others were brought on late but could not equalize.

Mexico won easy over Honduras in Mexico City 3-0. Costa Rica scored twice in the 2nd half to comeback and defeat El Salvador 2-1 in Costa Rica. Canada travelled to Jamaica and got a draw.

With 1 more round of games Wednesday the US is in a tie for 2nd with Panama with 8 points.

Mexico 3-2-0 11 points
            USA 2-2-1 8 points
            Panama 2-2-1 8 points
            Canada 1-4-0 7 points
            Costa Rica 1-3-1 6 points
            El Salvador 1-2-2 5 points
            Honduras 0-3-2 3 points
            Jamaica 0-2-3 2 points

Not sure what to take from the play so far. The US has mostly dominated play in the 5 matches, controlling the TOP in all but one match, but have been exceedingly vulnerable to the counter attack time and time and time again. They've shown brilliance at times, but sloppy at other times.

They've struggled with Jamaica at home, trailed Honduras, drew with El Salvador. Should have beaten Canada but drew at home and then laid an egg at Panama yesterday.

Wednesday, Mexico travels to El Salvador, Jamaica to Honduras, Panama to Canada in a big game and the US will host Costa Rica in what surely is a must win. The US have yet to play Mexico and another loss this round likely puts them on the outside looking in, qualifying-wise.

Columbus will host the match in their new digs, Lower.com Stadium. The National team is 7-1-2 since 2000 in qualifying play in Columbus. The crowd will likely be spirited, loud and firmly behind the American side against the Ticos (far from the case in some other cities).

Hopefully we'll start the best players available to us on Wednesday. It's a game we really have to win. November will see the US host Mexico then travel to Jamaica.

January's schedule is host El Salvador, travel to Canada then host Honduras.

Finally in March we'll travel to Mexico, come back home for Panama then conclude qualifying at Costa Rica. That easily could be 1 or 0 points. We must have points in the bank before March.

This is the first time qualifying has expanded to 8 teams (assuming they'll call it the Octagonal?) from the traditional 6 (Hexagonal). Last time around the US were denied a spot with just 12 points from 10 matches (needed 13 or 14 to move on). I'm speculating that we'll need at least 23 points to advance. 25 probably assures them a spot. 14 points after 8 matches still puts the team in a position where they need to sweep January which would put them at 23 with the 3 toughest matches remaining in March. Less than 23 going into March is going to put them in more than 1 must get a result match for sure.

U-S-A!!!

Comment

• Mexico... Panama... Costa Rica... El Salvador... Honduras... Jamaica...

Comment

Kind of a goofy start to CONCACAF qualifying for next years World Cup.

USMNT started very slow (and somewhat shorthanded) by drawing at El Salvador to open qualifying last month. They came home and drew with Canada, a suddenly athletic side that is going to give a lot of teams problems with their youth and speed.

2 points in 2 games won't get it done. Felt like the panic button was pushed at Honduras. Recently committed Ricardo Pepi, the 18 year old wonderkid who holds dual citizenship here and in Mexico, was inserted into the starting lineup. It didn't seem to matter as Honduras dominated the premier tiempo and scored in the 27th minute and led 1-0 at halftime. Shortly after half, Pepi's initial attempt on goal was pounced on by Antonee Robinson and the US were level. Christian Pulisic exited with an injury, but the US continued with forward movement on the ball.

Pepi scored his 1st of what is sure to many goals for the National Team off a DeAndre Yedlin cross in the 75th minute, Pepi assisted on 2 more goals to help defeat the Hondurans 4-1.

5 points in 3 games righted the ship somewhat, although the US were technically in a playoff position after 3 of 14 qualifying matches.

Fast forward to last week when the US defeated a game Jamaican side 2 nil in San Antonio. Pepi scored both goals and announced his presence on the World stage. 3 goals and 2 assists in his first 2 caps.

Canada traveled to Azteca and found a late goal to tie Mexico and lo and behold, the Americans were on top of the standings after 4 matches.

Then last night. The US traveled to Panama and benched many of their stars that were available, including Pepi. Inexcusable coaching if you ask me. The result was a 1 nil loss to the Panamanians. Pepi and others were brought on late but could not equalize.

Mexico won easy over Honduras in Mexico City 3-0. Costa Rica scored twice in the 2nd half to comeback and defeat El Salvador 2-1 in Costa Rica. Canada travelled to Jamaica and got a draw.

With 1 more round of games Wednesday the US is in a tie for 2nd with Panama with 8 points.

Mexico 3-2-0 11 points
                USA 2-2-1 8 points
                Panama 2-2-1 8 points
                Canada 1-4-0 7 points
                Costa Rica 1-3-1 6 points
                El Salvador 1-2-2 5 points
                Honduras 0-3-2 3 points
                Jamaica 0-2-3 2 points

Not sure what to take from the play so far. The US has mostly dominated play in the 5 matches, controlling the TOP in all but one match, but have been exceedingly vulnerable to the counter attack time and time and time again. They've shown brilliance at times, but sloppy at other times.

They've struggled with Jamaica at home, trailed Honduras, drew with El Salvador. Should have beaten Canada but drew at home and then laid an egg at Panama yesterday.

Wednesday, Mexico travels to El Salvador, Jamaica to Honduras, Panama to Canada in a big game and the US will host Costa Rica in what surely is a must win. The US have yet to play Mexico and another loss this round likely puts them on the outside looking in, qualifying-wise.

Columbus will host the match in their new digs, Lower.com Stadium. The National team is 7-1-2 since 2000 in qualifying play in Columbus. The crowd will likely be spirited, loud and firmly behind the American side against the Ticos (far from the case in some other cities).

Hopefully we'll start the best players available to us on Wednesday. It's a game we really have to win. November will see the US host Mexico then travel to Jamaica.

January's schedule is host El Salvador, travel to Canada then host Honduras.

Finally in March we'll travel to Mexico, come back home for Panama then conclude qualifying at Costa Rica. That easily could be 1 or 0 points. We must have points in the bank before March.

This is the first time qualifying has expanded to 8 teams (assuming they'll call it the Octagonal?) from the traditional 6 (Hexagonal). Last time around the US were denied a spot with just 12 points from 10 matches (needed 13 or 14 to move on). I'm speculating that we'll need at least 23 points to advance. 25 probably assures them a spot. 14 points after 8 matches still puts the team in a position where they need to sweep January which would put them at 23 with the 3 toughest matches remaining in March. Less than 23 going into March is going to put them in more than 1 must get a result match for sure.

U-S-A!!!

Great analysis and spot on. Consistency has plagued the USMNT for years. I am hopeful that they can overcome the up and down nonsense and qualify.

I completely agree on the decision to sit the guys for the Panama game. I couldn't believe it honestly.

Comment

• Brilliant strike by Dest to even it up at 1-1 with Costa Rica.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                    Brilliant strike by Dest to even it up at 1-1 with Costa Rica.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/goal...he-net-for-usa
                    Nice defense. The CR#22 is about 2 steps from where he should be. Then he shrugs his shoulders after getting schooled. The center back was NOT happy with him. hahahaha I mean he's toying with the ball on the 18 .. you gotta close that out dude!!
                    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• That was a must win. Down 1 nil, visions of another missed WC were dancing in my head at least (not that there aren't plenty of chances to recover).

Mexico and Jamaica await in November. 2 points is a must, even though 3 would be simpler to obtain.

Comment

That was a must win. Down 1 nil, visions of another missed WC were dancing in my head at least (not that there aren't plenty of chances to recover).

Mexico and Jamaica await in November. 2 points is a must, even though 3 would be simpler to obtain.
                        Would you like to know what dances around in my head?

Comment

• US-Mexico tonight in Cincy. ESPN2. 8:10 PM Central. I'm pumped.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Huge match for team USA. Will the best be playing? Is Christian healthy?

I see both Pulisic and Ricardo Pepi are active tonight. That's good.

Gio Reyna and Gyasi Zardes are not. That's bad.

Last edited by WuDrWu; November 12, 2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Huge match for team USA. Will the best be playing? Is Christian healthy?

I see both Pulisic and Ricardo Pepi are active tonight. That's good.

Gio Reyna and Gyasi Zardes are not. That's bad.
                              Interestingly enough, I think we miss Zardes more than Reyna, even though Reyna is a better player. We have other forwards who can play wide like Weah who have good quality. We don't have anyone with the physical presence of Zardes on that front line.

But I still love what Musah and Aaronson bring to the table in the attack. More on the defensive side, Adams seems to have slipped into a Kyle Beckerman-like role as the enforcer, and he completely embraces it. I love that.

Defensively, I sill like Antonee Robinson and Miles Robinson. They've both been solid...John Brooks was left off the squad, which I think is deserved after how poorly he performed for a while there.

Would love to beat Mexico and be sitting tied with (or ahead of) them in qualifying after tonight. But it will be a tough battle. I say 2-1 USA.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Pulisic not starting. Not sure if he plays tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X