No announcement yet.

I Don't Know Where To Put This, But...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love these guys. I believe I posted about their Atlantic crossing a few years ago.

Scottish Brothers Prepare for Record-breaking Fastest Row Across the Pacific Ocean in Boat They Designed

A trio of brothers are on a quest to row across the Pacific Ocean in a custom made boat—completing a record-breaking voyage with the goal of raising tens of thousands for charity.

Ewan, Jamie, and Lachlan Maclean are planning to row 9,000 miles from Peru to Australia (14,400-km) in a boat they designed and built to go faster than any before.

The trio from Edinburgh broke records in January 2020, when they became the first three brothers to row across any ocean, and the youngest—and fastest—trio to row across the Atlantic Ocean in their 35 day trip. (That GNN story is here)

Today, the brothers range in age from 26-32 and on their upcoming trip they hope to become the quickest to cross the Pacific—within 120 days—shaving 42 days off the current record.

They “thoroughly enjoyed” their previous ocean-crossing experience, and came up with the idea of starting a charity foundation during the long hours rowing. After setting up the Maclean Foundation, once they returned home, the brothers quickly decided to complete an even longer row to raise money.

“Even before we’d set foot back on land, we’d decided that we’d like to go on to do another challenge – but we didn’t know what that would be,” said Jamie, 30.

“Pretty soon, we came back around to the idea of doing another row. We’ll be doing a full Pacific row from South America to Australia, approximately 9,000 miles, after we add-in wiggling around islands.”

The brothers made several trips to Amsterdam to help fellow ocean rower Mark Slatts build the boat—which they described as the “lightest and strongest ocean rowing boat ever made”.
    They do this in an effort to help raise money for charity. Regardless of that or any other reason, it's an impressive feat they're attempting.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• The link below is to a thread on an overlanding forum that contains one of the most awesome real life adventure stories out there. It is a true story about a guy and girl that take a Landcruiser across a part of the Congo on a one month journey. You won't want it to end ...

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Party on…

Police in Ohio said a man broke into multiple businesses before being caught by police with four live hamsters inside his pants.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Found this interesting. I admit I don't fully understand the importance, but it's apparently a very big deal.

Massive Helium Reservoir in Minnesota Is Even More 'Mind-Boggling' Than Thought - Valuable for Rockets and Med

An American company is in possession of a “world-class,” and “mind-boggling” deposit of subterranean helium gas, which has them excited for way more than just the potential to sell it to party supply stores.

Despite being the second most abundant gaseous element in the universe, helium is rare on Earth, and in Babbit, Minnesota, a reservoir has been identified that is being described as one of the most lucrative ever found.

Helium is an excellent coolant, and in engineering and technology, the gas is used to cool rockets, nuclear power reactors, and medical imaging technology like MRI machines. Apart from occasional deposits found underground, the only way to produce it, according to Shiran Genzi, writing for Bored Bat, is through nuclear fusion or skimming it off decaying radioactive material like uranium and thorium.

Pulsar Helium, the exploration company that is currently working at the Babbit reservoir, recently obtained results of a survey showing that it’s currently larger than earlier estimates gathered in March.

It shows that maximum concentrations are 14.5% of the total underground area, which when considering how helium reservoir can be declared economically significant with as little as 0.3% concentration, one understands why it was described in March as “mind-boggling;” even when it was believed to be less dense.

Furthermore, helium gas is coming up to the surface at a rate of 821,000 cubic feet 23,250 cubic meters per day, meaning there’s no need for fracking.

“These results are considered world-class,” Pulsar Helium representatives wrote in a statement shared with Live Science in early July.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            Found this interesting. I admit I don't fully understand the importance, but it's apparently a very big deal.

Massive Helium Reservoir in Minnesota Is Even More 'Mind-Boggling' Than Thought - Valuable for Rockets and Med
            Whoa. They have been rationing helium for some time due to scarcity. This is a big deal.

Comment

• Yellowstone Eruption Sends Tourists Running for Cover (yahoo.com)

'A “localized” hydrothermal explosion at Yellowstone National Park sent terrified people running and forced officials to close Biscuit Basin, which contains several geysers, on Tuesday, July 23, parks officials said.'

There is a video in the story. That explosion might have soiled a few pants.

A second story below it shows the damage to the boardwalk.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                That explosion might have soiled a few pants.
                Indeed. Very lucky nobody was injured.

Comment

• I hate all the chiggers in the world. And ticks. But mostly chiggers!

Comment

• This was just different.

Grandad Rehearsed His Funeral 10 Years Ago - Now His Final Wishes Come True After his Passing

A British senior who pre-planned his funeral and rehearsed it on TV in 2013, had his final wishes come true after peacefully passing away in June.

Malcolm Brocklehurst, who is a renowned aircraft expert, commissioned an orange airplane-shaped coffin ten years ago from Crazy Coffins, an offshoot of a Nottingham-based traditional coffin and urn maker in England that helps people customize their funeral.

The grandfather-of-nine was filmed sitting in the coffin on Channel 5’s Bizarre Burials, which also featured a rehearsal of the ceremony that the former aerospace engineer coordinated to the last detail.

The plane was aptly called Tango One and numbered with MB 1934—his initials and year of his birth.

He also announced that he wanted the funeral procession to leave from the stadium pitch where his favorite football team, Blackpool FC, plays.

Malcom decided to pre-plan his funeral to save his wife, Mary, from having to organize the day herself. It turned out that she passed away before him.

But speaking about the rehearsal in 2013, he said it was all “light-hearted fun”.

“It felt like—and indeed was—a dress rehearsal for my command performance—with the great author in the sky.

“It was a day like no other.

“It felt weird being laid to rest in my airplane coffin, although I insisted that they not put the lid fully on—in spite of protestations from pals who said, ‘We’ve got him at last, nail it down fast’.”

On a Monday two weeks ago, there was a Blackpool Football Club flag flying high on the pole in his front yard, as the airplane coffin was lifted onto a flat top vehicle for its final flight.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      I hate all the chiggers in the world. And ticks. But mostly chiggers!
                      I hear ya hummin' man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        I hate all the chiggers in the world. And ticks. But mostly chiggers!
                        No chiggers in Alaska.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                        Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Reminds me of Jack Black’s School of Rock…

225K likes, 9,062 comments - kellychildsxo on July 10, 2024: "This gives me HOPE and pure love for humanity! #wildchild This teacher @sueterzi needs a pat on the back. ??? #80smusic #sweetchildofmine #gunsandroses".

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Josh Teskey of Melbourne based blues rock group The Teskey Brothers shares a heartwarming performance of their previously unreleased single ‘Rain’, taken fro...

it's Otis, come back to life!

Comment

• 68-year-old Illinois school district teacher Vera Liddell has been sentenced to 9 years in prison for stealing $1.5 million worth of chicken wings.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X