No announcement yet.

NFL 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looked it up. It’s a thing. Commotio Cordis.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Just a horrific incident to watch in real time. It was 30 minutes before the ambulance left the stadium from the moment Hamlin collapsed.

I wouldn’t speculate anywhere else, but with CA now confirmed (as usual, good job Fev), it would seem likely he was deprived of oxygen for some length of time, and while they were able to shock his heart back into rhythm, the damage may already have been done. He’s a 24 year old man in prime fitness, and his heart could beat for 70 years, but I doubt he was “put to sleep” as his media guy put out there, and instead has been put into a medically induced coma….. more likely than not a stasis he’s unlikely to reverse. I hope and pray that’s the wrong assessment and he makes a full recovery, but I’ve seen this play out and it rarely ends well.

He has done a toys for tots thing since college and did a Go Fund Me thing to raise $2500 which apparently raised about $10,000 prior to last night. As of last check it was over 3 million. Heck of a way to honor this young man’s work, regardless of the outcome.

Hopefully the power of prayer wins the day.

Comment

Charles (Chuck) Hughes (March 2, 1943 – October 24, 1971) was an American football player, a wide receiver in the National Football League from 1967 to 1971. He is, to date, the only NFL player to die on the field during a game.

Comment

Detroit Lions WR Chuck Hughes is the only player to die during an NFL game: 1971 against the Chicago Bears on the field at Tiger Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            Charles (Chuck) Hughes (March 2, 1943 – October 24, 1971) was an American football player, a wide receiver in the National Football League from 1967 to 1971. He is, to date, the only NFL player to die on the field during a game.
            As I said earlier, I’m old enough to remember this…I was watching the game and, like all watching, was absolutely stunned. We couldn’t believe that something like this was happening during a football game. Of course, this was at a time when word didn’t travel near as fast as it does now. Hughes was only 28 and had a very young child.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              Looked it up. It’s a thing. Commotio Cordis.
              I have heard that from a couple of sources. It makes sense they way they describe it. Although it is apparently very rare. About 30 cases per year mostly kids.

But he did take a pretty good should shot to the chest and if the timing in terms of where his heart beat was in it's cycle was just right this could very wlll be it.

However, I don't think they has been an official diagnosis yet and it could be something else

Comment

From a medical journal study. Not sure how quickly he was resuscitated. I know it was quickly so hopefully it was within the 3 minutes that dramatically increases survival rate if this is indeed what happened.

In human cases, resuscitation within 3 minutes resulted in a survival rate of 25% (17 of 68 cases); when resuscitation was prolonged beyond 3 minutes, the survival rate dropped to 3% (1 of 38 cases).7,21 The total survival rate from CC is approximately 15%,7,21 which has improved from 10% in 2001.13

Comment

Coley Harvey @ColeyHarvey

Just chatted with Damar Hamlin’s family friend @jordonr

Per Jordon and Damar’s family, doctors overnight got promising readings that they had been hoping to see by this morning. Jordon couldn’t go into specifics, but progress appears to be made.
                  8:24 AM · Jan 4, 2023

Comment

I did read in a tweet last night at some point that it was reported that he'd gone from being on 100% oxygen to 50%, which was very promising. It was retweeted by someone I would generally trust to have verified the identity of the person reporting, but who knows.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      I did read in a tweet last night at some point that it was reported that he'd gone from being on 100% oxygen to 50%, which was very promising. It was retweeted by someone I would generally trust to have verified the identity of the person reporting, but who knows.
                      I think this was a quote from his Uncle outside the hospital who mentioned this to NFL Network.

Comment

• Look: NFL World Wants Television Personality Fired (msn.com)

I know everyone here will want to know and appreciate this person's VIEWpoint.

Comment

• His marketing agent was interviewed on camera today. He sounded upbeat and said that's what Hamlin would want. He sounded upbeat. I don't know. Nobody speaking publicly has half a brain when it comes to medical decisions and outcomes, at least none that I've heard. Yes, being alive is better than being dead at this point, but there are a few miracles that still need to occur for this to end happily.

I know we're all hoping for that. At least I am.

The toy drive is just about to cross the $7 million threshold.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            His marketing agent was interviewed on camera today. He sounded upbeat and said that's what Hamlin would want. He sounded upbeat. I don't know. Nobody speaking publicly has half a brain when it comes to medical decisions and outcomes, at least none that I've heard. Yes, being alive is better than being dead at this point, but there are a few miracles that still need to occur for this to end happily.

I know we're all hoping for that. At least I am.

The toy drive is just about to cross the $7 million threshold.
                            Is it odd that the hospital / doctors have not held any kind of press conference yet? High profile admissions mostly do.

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• AWESOME.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X