No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KAKE - Paul Wight talks about returning to Wichita and the wrestling show he's promoting for this Saturday night [VIDEO].

I couldn't get the video to simply imbed, so you'll have to follow the link to KAKE.

I'm close to buying a ticket and going solo, which if you've followed some of the discussions in the OT Forum you'd know that's not easy for me.

I loved wrestling while growing up in the 90s and became a fan of Paul Wight back when he was simply known as The Giant in WCW. I fell away from wrestling some time after WCW was bought by WWF/E and felt that with no competition, that the E got stale and I stopped watching. I did watch some TNA from time to time but started getting back into it when I stumbled across AEW on TNT a few years ago as well as ROH on whatever channel it was on at the time.

I've really enjoyed AEW and it's given me a little more of the feel that wrestling had back when it was fun for me. They have some legends of the game like Chris Jericho, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, Christian Cage, Adam Copeland (Edge), Billy Gunn (Daddy Ass), Bryan Danielson, Dustin Rhodes, Jay Lethal, Matt and Jeff Hardy, Jeff Jarrett, Madison Rayne Sting, and of course Paul Wight.

But they've also built up some young stars who would have never been given a chance when WWE was really the only game in town. Guys like Anthony Bowens and Max Caster (The Acclaimed), Daniel Garcia, Darby Allin, Eddie Kingston, Hook, Jack Perry, Komander, Konosuke Takeshita, Maxwell Jacob Freeman (MJF), Orange Cassidy, The Lucha Brothers (Penta El Zero Miedo and Rey Fenix), Ricky Starks, Rush, Sammy Guevara, and Wheeler Yuta. Some of these guys will be targeted by WWE when contracts are up since they've proven they can connect with fans and headline shows.

They also have a lot of young talent that in their women's division that have come a long way over the past few years. They have some experienced vets but a lot of young talent with only a couple of years of experience. Names like Abadon, Anna Jay, Athena, Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D (real, practicing dentist), Hikaru Shida, Jamie Hayter, Julia Hart, Kiera Hogan (not related), Kris Statlander, Penelope Ford, Ruby Soho, Saraya, Skye Blue, Tay Melo, The Bunny, Toni Storm, and Willow Nightingale.

I'm obviously a fan of this organization. The thing that excites me is there's a group called The House of Black that has come back recently and are almost guaranteed to be in Wichita. They have a lot of talent and a pretty cool gimmick, and the way things are going we have a good chance of seeing Skye Blue who is a future star. The Acclaimed and Daddy Ass (Billy Gunn) have confirmed that they'll be in Wichita to celebrate their current Trios Title run.

The more I type the closer I get to buying a ticket and going alone.

Then here's a nice 20 minute interview Paul did with Johnny Maze at T95 recently.

Last edited by SubGod22; October 30, 2023, 12:57 PM.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• KSN - Youth Soccer Cup returning to Wichita

The national competition will take place July 12-16 at Scheels Stryker Sports Complex. Visit Wichita President and CEO Susie Santo says the success of Wichita hosting the 2023 National President’s Cup is what brought the organization back to Wichita.

“Wichita is an amazing sports city, a place where sports thrive, and Midwest hospitality stands ready to welcome visitors from all over the country,” says Santo in a news release. “I am proud of the effort and execution by our team at Visit Wichita in 2023, and we are honored and ready to host another successful National President’s Cup in Wichita – the Heart of the Country.”

“We are extremely excited to bring the National Presidents Cup back to Wichita, Kansas,” says USYS’ CEO Skip Gilbert. “We were incredibly impressed with Wichita in 2023. The destination proved to be an ideal host city with its central location, excellent amenities and outstanding organizers and community partners. USYS is eager to again work with Kansas Youth Soccer, Visit Wichita, Scheels Stryker Sports Complex and the City of Wichita to make this event memorable as a part of our 50th anniversary.”

The 2023 President’s Cup brought over 2,000 athletes, coaches, officials, family and friends to Wichita. That resulted in an economic impact of approximately of approximately $3.8 million to the community, according to Visit Wichita.
      Definitely a nice event to host and show off the city while giving the local economy a bit of a financial boost.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KWCH - Paul Wight recalls Wichita State days ahead of AEW stop

Paul Wight, formerly known as the Big Show during his two-decade career in World Wrestling Entertainment, stopped by the 12 News studio last week to discuss his time playing basketball at Wichita State, who pushed him to give professional wrestling a try, and his time in the fledgling professional wrestling venture, All Elite Wrestling.

Wight, billed at over 7-foot, 400 pounds, was a reserve center for the Shockers during the 1991-92 season under coach Mike Cohen. He played one year at Wichita State before transferring and attempted a career in professional basketball. But fate intervened, and Wight joined World Championship Wrestling and almost immediately became the world champion.

After a long career in WWE in which he won every major championship, Paul Wight joined AEW in 2021. At 51, his in-ring career is likely winding down, as he aims to move to commentary. Wight joined 12 News to hype AEW’s first stop in Wichita -- the company is bringing its Saturday TNT television show, Collision, to Intrust Bank Arena on Nov. 4.

To listen to the full interview, click here.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KWCH - KDOT to host public meeting on possible Amtrak route expansion

The Kansas Department of Transportation will hold a public meeting on Nov. 8 to discuss possible expansion to Amtrak’s passenger rail routes in Kansas.

Amtrak currently offers daily service between Fort Worth, Texas, and Oklahoma City. The proposed expansion would offer a route from Oklahoma City to Newton that would then connect with a national route.

That expansion is dependent on federal approval. Sedgwick County Commission Chair Pete Meitzner said he’s confident approval will be given.

“We feel strongly that we probably will be awarded,” Meitzner said.

The main points of the plan would be submitted for approval sometime in November. If the plan is approved, KDOT would then submit a detailed outline in the first quarter of 2024.

That outline would include locations for new Amtrak stations — and downtown Wichita would likely be included, Meitzner said.

“It’ll be close to downtown by Union Station … and it may even incorporate Union Station.”

Meitzner said regardless of where the station ends up, it would have a big impact on Wichita.
          Having a less stress travel option would be nice for many. This could even be good for the recruiting of students along the OKC/DFW route as it provides another relatively easy way for them to go back and forth. Then connecting in with the national network wouldn't hurt either.

This could even be a nice option for Shocker fans to travel to DFW for the AAC tournament in the future.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            KAKE - Paul Wight talks about returning to Wichita and the wrestling show he's promoting for this Saturday night [video].

I couldn't get the video to simply imbed, so you'll have to follow the link to KAKE.

I'm close to buying a ticket and going solo, which if you've followed some of the discussions in the OT Forum you'd know that's not easy for me.

I loved wrestling while growing up in the 90s and became a fan of Paul Wight back when he was simply known as The Giant in WCW. I fell away from wrestling some time after WCW was bought by WWF/E and felt that with no competition, that the E got stale and I stopped watching. I did watch some TNA from time to time but started getting back into it when I stumbled across AEW on TNT a few years ago as well as ROH on whatever channel it was on at the time.

I've really enjoyed AEW and it's given me a little more of the feel that wrestling had back when it was fun for me. They have some legends of the game like Chris Jericho, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, Christian Cage, Adam Copeland (Edge), Billy Gunn (Daddy Ass), Bryan Danielson, Dustin Rhodes, Jay Lethal, Matt and Jeff Hardy, Jeff Jarrett, Madison Rayne Sting, and of course Paul Wight.

But they've also built up some young stars who would have never been given a chance when WWE was really the only game in town. Guys like Anthony Bowens and Max Caster (The Acclaimed), Daniel Garcia, Darby Allin, Eddie Kingston, Hook, Jack Perry, Komander, Konosuke Takeshita, Maxwell Jacob Freeman (MJF), Orange Cassidy, The Lucha Brothers (Penta El Zero Miedo and Rey Fenix), Ricky Starks, Rush, Sammy Guevara, and Wheeler Yuta. Some of these guys will be targeted by WWE when contracts are up since they've proven they can connect with fans and headline shows.

They also have a lot of young talent that in their women's division that have come a long way over the past few years. They have some experienced vets but a lot of young talent with only a couple of years of experience. Names like Abadon, Anna Jay, Athena, Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D (real, practicing dentist), Hikaru Shida, Jamie Hayter, Julia Hart, Kiera Hogan (not related), Kris Statlander, Penelope Ford, Ruby Soho, Saraya, Skye Blue, Tay Melo, The Bunny, Toni Storm, and Willow Nightingale.

I'm obviously a fan of this organization. The thing that excites me is there's a group called The House of Black that has come back recently and are almost guaranteed to be in Wichita. They have a lot of talent and a pretty cool gimmick, and the way things are going we have a good chance of seeing Skye Blue who is a future star. The Acclaimed and Daddy Ass (Billy Gunn) have confirmed that they'll be in Wichita to celebrate their current Trios Title run.

The more I type the closer I get to buying a ticket and going alone.

Then here's a nice 20 minute interview Paul did with Johnny Maze at T95 recently.

That's a really good listen... thanks for posting.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• KSN - Botanica's Illuminations nominated for USA Today's 10Best

Botanica’s Illuminations has once again been nominated for USA Today’s 10Best Readers Choice Awards for 2023.

Wichita’s annual light show was nominated under the Best Botanical Garden Holiday Lights category. Last year, Illuminations placed eighth.

This year, Illuminations will kick off Nov. 24 and run through Dec. 30, from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, the light display will be closed.

Admission is $16 for non-member adults and $13 for member adults, military, and seniors. Tickets are $10 for ages 3-12 and free for children 2 under under. Tickets must be purchased prior to the event online, and walk-in tickets will not be available or accepted. They can be purchased by clicking here.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Air Capital Hoopfest is returning to Wichita, this time at Friends University.

Another chance to see some of the elite HS talent in the country this February.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - See who's been rocking the most Intrust Bank Arena fans in 2023

As Wichita's Intrust Bank Arena gets in the homestretch of its 14th year of operations, a review of the facility's largest crowds of 2023 show that south-central Kansas continues to love its country music acts.

All six top attendance draws to the arena in 2023 have been music concerts, and all but one are country artists.

See who has filled the arena in a gallery attached to this blog.
                  The available slide show presents the events and attendance numbers.

It also mentions a few events that could/should top the 9K mark for the rest of the year:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - December 6
                  Wichita vs South Dakota St. - December 9
                  Adam Sandler - December 10
                  Pentatonix - December 19

To crack the current top 6, an event needs to top 9,321.

Four events have topped the 10K mark
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another suburban town adding something to impact the quality of life in its community. I hadn't been aware of this one.

WBJ - Valley Center Recreation and Aquatics Center will add 'quality-of-life' amenity for residents, city official says

A project long-discussed in a suburban Wichita community is progressing toward reality.

Work on the over 40,000 square-foot Valley Center Recreation and Aquatics Center began in August and is set to wrap by the close of 2024.

Valley Center city administrator Brent Clark called the project "transformational" for the city just north of Wichita.
                    Valley Center's recreation and aquatic center is No. 2 on the WBJ's list of largest area construction projects breaking ground in 2023, with the $35-million HCA Wesley Rehabilitation Hospital in the top spot.

The center features an indoor pool facility with a six-lane competition pool and diving well. There will be locker rooms, a gymnasium, fitness studios, workout area, indoor track and more.

Clark said the facility will be able to host high school swim meets in a community that he has found to be passionate about the sport.

"We have great ideas and layout on how to facilitate hosting those larger swim events," he said.
                    I've often said I'd like to see Valley Center do more to better itself. Andover and Derby have been making efforts for years and Goddard had recently started and Park City is always up to something. These things only make the metro area better and more attractive.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A reminder on the new flights coming to Ike.

KSN - More nonstop flights about to take off from Wichita

Starting Sunday, Southwest Airlines will resume daily nonstop flights to Las Vegas. The flight departs at 12:35 p.m. and arrives in Las Vegas at 1:25 p.m. On the return leg, the flight will leave Las Vegas at 12:10 p.m. and arrive in Wichita at 4:30 p.m.

Also, on Sunday, American Airlines will begin daily nonstop flights from Wichita to Phoenix. The flight leaves Wichita around 6 a.m. and arrives at Sky Harbor International Airport around 7:30 a.m. The return flight leaves Phoenix around 8 p.m. and arrives in Wichita at 11:30 p.m.

Another popular destination will be available in January. On Jan. 8, American Airlines will begin nonstop flights between Wichita and Washington, D.C.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• The saga continues to continue...

KFDI - Power cut at Wichita mall after failure to pay electric bill

Power was cut early Monday for some stores at a Wichita shopping mall because of the owner’s failure to pay the electric bill.

Towne West Square has faced several threats of disconnection over the past year after failing to pay the bill from Evergy.

Larger stores at the mall have separate accounts that are in good standing, so those stores still have power.
                        I think at this point, Evergy is done playing games and giving them numerous extensions.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• MSN - Downtown Wichita is getting a new hotel, but when?

It may seem like the new Marriott AC Hotel downtown is taking forever, but developer Sudha Tokala said it's not that far behind schedule.

Her intention was to open it yet this year, she said, and now it's looking more like next spring.

"The elevators were the main issue," Tokala said. "We just couldn't get them in time. We paid for them two years ago."

There have been labor shortages, too.

In 2018, Tokala announced that she was bringing an osteopathy school downtown followed by a culinary school and food hall, a hotel and student housing.

The nonprofit Kansas Health Science Center and its Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine opened in 2022 at the former Finney State Office Building, which is two joined buildings at 130 S. Market and 230 E. William.

WSU Tech's National Institute for Culinary and Hospitality Education, or NICHE, opened early this year at the former Henry's building at 124 S. Broadway.

The hotel is opening at the former Broadway Plaza building at 105 S. Broadway next to the Ambassador Hotel Wichita, Autograph Collection.

Student housing was supposed to open next year at Sutton Place at 209 E. William St., but Tokala said it's delayed, too, and will open in 2025.

The new hotel will have 119 rooms on 11 stories.
                          It will be a nice addition to downtown, and won't hurt when it comes to attracting events.

The student housing will also be a big deal.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - U.S. Army awards contract for three Beechcraft King Air turboprops

The U.S. Army has chosen Textron Aviation for a $100 million, five-year contract to supply Cessna and Beechcraft aircraft, the Wichita-based company announced Tuesday.

Three Beechcraft King Air 360 extended-range turboprops are part of the initial order, made to support foreign military sales.

Two are headed to Peru and will be a part of the Peruvian Naval Aviation Force. The other King Air will land in neighboring Ecuador and will join the fleet of Ecuadorian Naval Aviation. The planes will perform maritime patrol.

The rest of the $100 million award is for an indefinite quantity and indefinite delivery contract of Cessna and Beechcraft aircraft that will be purchased over a five-year period and perform special missions. The planes include Cessna SkyCouriers, Cessna Caravans and Beechcraft King Air turboprops.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KAKE - KDOT gives update on potential Amtrak expansion into Wichita

Wednesday the Kansas Department of Transportation held a virtual update on the proposed expansion of the Heartland Flyer line that would connect Oklahoma City to Newton.

Sedgwick County Commissioner Pete Meitzner was listening to the update and said it seems like there is a lot of momentum behind the project.

“You hate to over promise but you can kind of feel the enthusiasm and the confidence on that call.”

It would be a major connection for the region.

“You can see this connects to Fort Worth, Kansas City, western Kansas and beyond," explained Cory Davis, KDOT's director of multimodal transportation during the call.

KDOT says the last major hold up on this long sought after program is potential federal funding to get it started. The good news is the department believes it could hear back as soon as the end of November if it got selected for the federal corridor ID program.

Davis says that, “provided opportunity for funding for not only planning on the service, but also project development, environmental review, preliminary engineering, design, construction and visually operation as we move through the pipeline."

The extension would create two new stops in Kansas, one in Wichita and one in Arkansas City. Meitzner said if this project gets the green light, it will have a major positive impact throughout South Central Kansas.
                              Sounds like if approved, it would be functional by at least 2029, though there is some belief it would get fast tracked and be operation earlier than that.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Local company sells to local businessman. Wichita wins.

WBJ - Leading Edge aerospace company sells to knowledgeable buyer

A Wichita-based niche aerospace company changed hands Friday. The good news: It was purchased at auction by a local who understands the industry.

Eddie Smith, an engineer, bought Leading Edge after a series of negotiations. Fifteen years ago, as a student at Butler Community College, Smith learned about Leading Edge, a business he calls "the coolest company in Wichita."

Smith learned in the summer the company was up for sale through McCurdy Real Estate and Auction and registered for the auction, thinking he wouldn't come close to the asking price.
                                Leading Edge makes large, carbon fiber master molds. The company buildslarge prototypes, including wings, for major producers.

"They build these parts using the resin infusion process, and that's just allowed them to be able to be much more efficient, much faster and less expensive," Brock said.

In addition to working on Textron Aviation's (NYSE: TXT) Wichita-made Cessna Scorpion, Leading Edge made tooling components for SpaceX, Joby Aviation, Lockheed Martin and Bell Helicopter.

"They just finished up a contract building the the molds for the F-35 fighter jet canopies," Brock said.

Although the system can be used for automobiles, Leading Edge deals exclusively with aerospace.
                                Sounds like they could potentially expand into other areas, but for now, they have a pretty good reputation at what they do and have some very legit companies that use them.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X