General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KAKE - The rumble at Riverfront Stadium: Maize v. Maize South

Wichita's baseball stadium has been converted into a football stadium. It's game one of the Air Capital High School series with Maize v. Maize South.

Riverfront Manager Bob Moullette said converting the field has been a year in the making.

"We take the dirt out and you got to paint the lines, put the field goals in, you got to come up with the scoreboard components and all those types of things," said Moullette.

He said the original intent of Riverfront was to be multipurpose and football was always built into the specs.

Moullette added the goal is not just to use the field 69 to 72 times a year but rather, 150 to 200 times a year providing them with 7 other events they can add.

Moullette expected a crowd of 6,000 and that doesn't include those walking up purchasing tickets. He said they had a couple of nice perks such as great views from the berm to see field goals and the scoreboard which will replay the plays during the game.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - Ad Astra tech summit a full day at WSU, with Steve Wozniak on deck

More than 400 people are at Wichita State University's Woolsey Hall on Monday as the second annual Ad Astra technology summit is underway.

FlagshipKansas.tech, the event organizer, said the 400 in attendance for the daylong summit of tech sessions is a sold-out number.

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is the summit's keynote speaker at 6 p.m. Monday in Koch Arena. He'll participate in a fireside chat with Luis Rodriguez, president of Method Productions and immediate past chair of FlagshipKansas.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Attended the WSU Football Memorial this morning. Nice ceremony with Dr Muma and ADKS and the WSU choral group. Nice ceremony with several players from the other plane and relatives of those that perished. Still think about the brothers I lost. May they all rest in peace

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
          Attended the WSU Football Memorial this morning. Nice ceremony with Dr Muma and ADKS and the WSU choral group. Nice ceremony with several players from the other plane and relatives of those that perished. Still think about the brothers I lost. May they all rest in peace
          I was on campus yesterday for the Ad Astra Tech Conference, and while I wasn't able to be there for the ceremony itself, later in the day I did take a moment to pause at the memorial. I am happy to see the additions of the panel for the crash survivors, and the names on the back of those on the other plane.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

I was on campus yesterday for the Ad Astra Tech Conference, and while I wasn't able to be there for the ceremony itself, later in the day I did take a moment to pause at the memorial. I am happy to see the additions of the panel for the crash survivors, and the names on the back of those on the other plane.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• On Monday, Oct. 2, at 9 a.m., the university marked 53 years since a plane carrying the university’s football players and administrators crashed, killing 31 people.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• KAKE - 'You're the future of tech': Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak visits Wichita

It was an extra special day for Apple fans as a huge name in technology spent the day in Wichita talking to folks about all things tech, followed by a bit of an unusual speech to end the day.

"I love Kansas. I even love Wichita from a prior time here. I love the people and how they are. And it's different than Silicon Valley," said Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

Wozniak says it's always nice visiting the Sunflower State because his wife, Janet, is from here.

As someone who spent years working alongside Steve Jobs engineering the first-ever Apple computers, Wozniak is no stranger to technology, and he thinks Wichita will soon be giving California a run for its money.

"Silicon Valley had a lot of the start-ups for a long time because they would come out to Wichita, find a company that had something really good going on... and the venture capitalists would only invest if you started up your company in Silicon Valley," Wozniak said.

But with places like Kansas, in what appears to be a technology boom, he says that's all changing.

FlagshipKansas.Tech Immediate Past Chair Luis Rodriguez says the company is dedicated to creating a thriving environment for technology in the state, and having guests like Wozniak is a big part of it.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KFDI - Vintage aircraft to make a stop in Wichita

A B-25 aircraft from the Commemorative Air Force will be making a stop in Wichita for a special event at the B-29 Doc Hangar.

The aircraft, Miss Mitchell, will be in Wichita from October 4th through the 8th. The aircraft is from the Minnesota Wing of the Commemorative Air Force, and it was among the B-25s that flew missions during World War Two. Miss Mitchell was given a complete restoration and it had its first flight in April, 1992.

The B-29 Doc Museum is having the WSU Tech Pull-A-Plane event on Saturday, October 7th, when teams will compete in pulling the B-25 and B-29 aircraft in a fundraising event for Doc and the WSU Tech Foundation.

The B-25 will be available for ride flight experiences from October 5th through the 8th, and Doc will be available on Sunday, October 8th.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Valley Center looking to be a little more independent, at least when it comes to water.

KSN - Valley Center to consider water treatment plant

It will hold a public hearing to decide on whether to ask for a maximum $19 million loan from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment to build the facility.

The city currently sells its untreated water to Wichita and then buys treated water from Wichita at a higher rate than Wichita residents.

“What we do know is that once we’re done that the per thousand gallons that we’re charging monthly to our residents would be about half of what we’re paying or charging them from Wichita right now,” said Valley Center City Administrator Brent Clark.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Wichita-based Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers' hits growth milestone

Over the course of 2023, Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers has been steadily approaching 500 locations.

Thanks to a new opening in Texas, the Wichita-based fast-casual restaurant chain has crossed that finish line.

Freddy's announced this week that its new location in Burleson, Texas, is the 500th restaurant in the company's footprint spanning 36 states.
                      This is a big benchmark on their way to more.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Exploration Place anticipates 5 millionth visitor this weekend

“Approaching this milestone, it’s heartwarming to realize that Exploration Place has touched multiple generations,” Adam Smith, Exploration Place CEO, said. “We’ve watched children who once marveled at our exhibits now return, their own kids in tow, sharing that same sense of wonder. Here’s to millions more moments of inspiration and discovery.”

Additionally, Exploration Place will unveil its Halloween Hall, an immersive Halloween-themed exhibit that “fuses the festive with the futuristic.” A collaborative gaming arena from the Electic Playhouse — an attraction in Albuquerque, New Mexico — will spearhead the exhibit.
                        Speaking of benchmarks. I expect the next 5 million to go quicker with all that is planned
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Derby woman crazy.

After the show, she waited with fans for two hours by his bus door. When Reeves emerged from Liberty Hall, she tried to give him a card with a poem, but he wouldn’t take it.
                          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I get the feeling the guy on the other end of the line actually believes he is Keanu.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Wichita company expands footprint and market

WBJ - Wichita aerospace company buys North Carolina manufacturer

After more than 30 years of manufacturing defense aircraft connector accessories, a Wichita-based company is expanding.

Isodyne Inc. acquired a majority share in Compaero, a Mooresville, N.C.-based component manufacturing company.

The Wichita firm, run by president George Benton and vice president Michael Freed, is headquartered at 7706 E. Osie near Harry and Rock Road. The company started in 1989 and took the term "iso," meaning equal, and "dyne," meaning force, for its name.
                                Compaero offers complementary components. It manufactures backshells, adapters, protective covers, termination bands and other connector accessories. Those accessories, like the ones produced at Isodyne, can be used across defense platforms.

Compaero will continue operating from its Mooresville location. Both Isodyne and Compaero plan to increase output, including increasing both companies' employee base. Compaero also plans on doubling its manufacturing footprint.

Isodyne has about 20 employees, while Compaero has about a dozen. Both companies hope to add about two to three people each year.
                                Growth is good
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X