No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This should be a positive and I'm looking forward to how much it changes things.

WBJ - Andover hires ASM Global to manage outdoor Capitol Federal amphitheater

The company that runs Wichita's Intrust Bank Arena, Century II and Orpheum Theater has gained another facility to manage.

ASM Global was chosen by the city of Andover to manage the Capitol Federal Amphitheater. The five-year deal between the city and management company begins Jan. 1 and includes a 5-year extension option.

According to a city agenda document, Andover will pay ASM Global $75,000 annually to manage the 5-year-old amphitheater. The management fees will be paid out of Andover's Festivals Fund.
    They've had some pretty cool concerts over the years out there. And I know the Taco Fest has been there for a few years. I went with some friends and saw Vertical Horizon and Plain White T's play a few years back. They've had rock, pop, and country and I think Theatre Wichita has used it some.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - PHOTOS: Check out some of the major commercial construction projects across Wichita

In the face of a host of challenges — from rising interest rates and costs, to supply chain and labor issues — prominent construction projects continue to press forward across Wichita.

The attached gallery takes a look at several highlighted commercial projects. They include an office expansion, headquarters move, industrial warehouses, nonprofit efforts and work involving the city's biggest employers in the aviation sector.

It's not intended to be an exhaustive look and focuses on just those efforts — previously covered by the Wichita Business Journal —that do not involve a multifamily component. Stay tuned for a look at apartment projects later this month.
      A little photo gallery to see where things are at right now on some projects we've mentioned over the past year here.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Derby continues to look at ways to grow and be more.

WBJ - Tim Garvey's plans for 'ambitious' mixed-use development in Derby set for further consideration

In the final months of 2023, the Derby Planning Commission and City Council are set to consider a proposal for a transformative, 154-acre development in the Wichita suburb.

Located at the northeast corner of 55th Street South and Rock Road, Greenwood Village would create a walkable, mixed-use community featuring 950 dwelling units, 450,000 square feet of non-residential development and over 14 acres of open space.

It's the vision of a team led by developer, and the property's owner, Tim Garvey, a member of the fourth generation in a family whose imprint on Wichita real estate and development has been seen for decades — from the Garvey Center, to the Epic Center, and beyond.
        Garvey and Robert Taylor, who is working with Garvey and presented at the meeting, emphasized that Greenwood Village's concepts may be new to Derby, but that this type of walkable, masterplanned community has worked well in other cities.

And that plans align with the city's Vision Derby 2040 Comprehensive Plan.

"I would hope that you don't take it as we're trying to tell you how to do things," Taylor said. "If anything, we're trying to show you what's proven."

Even if PUD approval happens in the months ahead, with its massive scope not yet seen before in Derby's history, groundbreaking is likely at least a few years away and the project will take considerable time to be built out completely.

"In our preliminary economic analysis, based upon research and data, we projected a 15-16 year buildout based upon current rates of absorption, the activity in Derby, what's happening in the Wichita housing market, and of course the commercial demand ... or the gaps that are present in the market," said Taylor, owner of Robert Taylor Collective in Fort Collins, Colo. "If those still remain open, both the commercial and the residential will evolve in that type of timeframe."
        To me, this sounds similar to what Andover is currently working on off of 54 but on a larger scale (I think).
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• The more the entrepreneurial spirit returns to the area the better it is for the area. I love seeing some of the new startups in the area and hoping to hear about their growth over the years.

WBJ - Wichita is home to dozens of startups: Here are five to keep an eye on

Quicc: The startup, which launched in 2019, has three major components. The first offers captioning services in more than 40 languages. The second makes videos searchable by content. The third service, for now, is using artificial intelligence to summarize what is in a video.

Medic All: A Wichita tele-medical nonprofit started by a local teenager is one of nine finalists in a NXTUS competition. Medic All, which offers free consultations, medical tests and prescriptions to eliminate barriers to care, was founded by Wichita Collegiate School senior Ayaan Parikh. Several state agencies and nonprofits have discussed further plans with onboarding the service.

Montiel Farms: This Wichita startup helps people plant gardens. It calls the task edible landscape design. They can come to people's homes and design and plant a garden by constructing each growing plan to fit with each site, always taking note to use regenerative practices. The growers can also take care of the gardens they plant, including weeding and harvesting.

Novus Network Inc.: Jerry Nowlin invented a gamified recovery app designed to help demystify the aftercare recovery journey. Designed as a fun way to stay on target and enjoy life, this app can measure and maintain recovery practices, helping people stay on track.

RecruitAero: RecruitAero, a recruitment service that helps find aerospace candidates for employers, started in March. In June, the company attended the Paris Air Show, introducing itself to many in the aerospace industry.
          I think I posted about Quicc not too long ago. They seem to have really found a niche and have grown their reach considerably and have some pretty big clients. I can't remember specifics, but they're looking to grow and hire in the near future and increase their head count and remain local.

I know I've posted about Medic All when posting about NXTUS. I'm not sure how big it can become but it does seem like a service with a good heart that I hope has staying power.

I know very little about Montiel Farms but it seems like another one with a good heart. No idea what kind of end game in growth something like this has without doing more research.

I think I've seen something on Novus before. To me, it looks like something that could catch on and grow from how I've seen it mentioned here and in the past. There's definitely a place for something like this and if it has longevity, could be a nice company to keep local and see it grow.

RecruitAero should have a strong future as long as aviation continues to grow and be a huge part of the local economy. I know Textron and Spirit are both looking to grow employment as they continue to expand their local footprints and continue to sign big deals, especially with the military. The need to fill open positions is going to get harder and harder to do with just local talent.

It might be nice in the future if they can expand to other areas or someone else steps up to help in the area for what is coming with the chip plants here and in Burlington, which I know is outside of the metro. But Integra has talked about how important it is going to be to pull people in from outside the metro and outside of the state, as well as training people locally to fill the positions that their new facility will create both for them and their suppliers.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - PHOTOS: From west to east, a look at the progress of several Wichita luxury apartment projects

The Wichita area has seen several luxury apartment projects progress over the course of 2023 — with some delivering in-demand units as on-site construction continues.

Class A efforts aren't limited to one spot of the metro, as they span from northwest Wichita, to the city's core, to Andover.

The attached gallery takes a look at several highlighted luxury apartment projects within a local market that MMG Real Estate Advisors, a multifamily investment sales brokerage firm, noted is on a "favorable trajectory," according to a late summer report.
            Slide show with some info and pics should be accessible to all.

There are over 1,500 multifamily units under construction currently and there will be more.

In the slideshow you'll see:

The National - 151 apartments
            Avante - 372
            HiTone Lofts - 75
            Liberty Gardens - 108
            The Dumont - 96
            Plazzio Place Apartments - 40
            Uptown Landing (Phase Two) - 120
            Heritage Square - 186
            Stoney Pointe Apartment Homes - 438
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Good news for the Riverside area

MSN - Amidon bridge set to finish months ahead of schedule

Elation was felt by members of the Riverside community as the construction renovations on Amidon would be finished months ahead of its original schedule.

Nearly 16,000 drivers use the nearly 60-year-old bridge daily. It has been closed since last October. However, the city says people may begin driving on the bridge as early as next week.

“I think people are very excited to have this bridge open again. Of course, it connects back to our bike trails, and it’s also going to allow folks to get back to their everyday routine in the morning,” said Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple.

It’s been a long year for people in Riverside who rely on the bridge. Originally, construction was scheduled for 18 months. Whipple says there were a few weather delays and other conditions that put the project ahead of schedule.
              Bridge is expected to open next week.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Eisenhower National Airport sees best September on record

Eisenhower National Airport has seen its best September on record.

A total of 73,230 passengers flew out of Wichita in September. Overall, September saw 146,603 passengers fly in and out of Eisenhower.

Previous months of 2023 had seen substantial growth, but it’s the first time they have seen monthly departures exceed prepandemic numbers. In 2019, there were a total of 68,483 passengers who flew out of Wichita that September.

That represents 7% growth. The Airport says it’s due in part to airlines adding 8.3% more scheduled seats compared to September 2022, which they say is a sign that demand for travel to and from Wichita is growing.

Food and shop sales are up 7.7%, and parking revenue is up by 7.8%. However, rental car revenue is down by 2.84%.

For more statistical information about Eisenhower International Airport, click here.
                Good signs for Ike and Wichita.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KAKE - Wichita City Council approves funding for changes to downtown one way streets

Tuesday the Wichita City Council voted to fund and move forward with the first phase of its Downtown Streets Program. It'll take five streets, Main, Market, Topeka, Emporia and English, and will turn them from one lane to two lanes over certain sections.

The plan was put together over a few years and a lot of feedback from residents, according to Councilmember Brandon Johnson.

“You also heard it from folks who, you know, you got to take a right turn and go a whole block take another right turn just to get to somewhere, where if it was two lane you just turn around and park on the other side."

Several of the changed roads will also have street parking and bike lane improvements, too.

Johnson says the changes are about improving access to downtown, both for drivers and pedestrians.

“Downtown is everyone's backyard and it's important for us to be inclusive with that. That's why we're looking at those bike lanes, more walking opportunities, wayfinding, signage, all of that, to make sure that everyone can enjoy downtown and have a piece of it.”

The city is aiming for all the work to be done by 2027 and costing just under $5 million in local sales tax revenue. Kunz says he thinks the changes will be helpful to his and other businesses
                  I'm not a fan of one way streets but I know they can serve a purpose. But I do like the sound of fewer one ways downtown which would make it easier, I would think, to get to and access different places.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Paranormal Cirque coming to Wichita

The Paranormal Cirque will be coming to Wichita from Nov. 9 through Nov. 12.

The show will be at Wichita’s Towne East Square in the 7700 blk. of E. Kellogg. Six shows will happen over three days.

The performance will happen under a black and red “Clown Castle.” The show promises to deliver a host of surprises, scares and amusement to all who dare attend, according to Paranormal Cirque’s website. The website adds that the show features acrobats, illusionists, mysterious creatures and more that separate it from a “normal” circus performance.
                    This is a rated R show.

Has anyone ever been? I believe they were in Topeka last year.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Call it a comeback: Wichita tops Midwest peers in downtown recovery report

Many cities across the country are struggling to get downtown activity to approach pre-pandemic levels.

Not Wichita, a new report has found.

The recovery in the city's core ranked ninth among U.S. metros — and No. 1 in the Midwest region — according to data from the University of Toronto School of Cities and the Institute of Governmental Studies at the University of California-Berkeley. The institutions have been analyzing GPS data from more than 18 million North American smartphones to determine how downtown visits compare to pre-pandemic totals.

In Wichita, downtown visits are now 89% of their 2019 levels.

By comparison, the national average is 74%. Wichita edged Omaha (88% of its 2019 mark) for the top spot in the Midwest region.

While Wichita trailed Oklahoma City (fifth in the U.S. and third in the Southwest region at 93%), the city has outpaced Tulsa (82%) and Kansas City (74%).
                      This is encouraging and we know there's more to come over the next few years that should help.

Thanks to a series of high-profile projects in the works within the city's core, including a $300-million biomedical campus, many community stakeholders have expressed optimism that Wichita has much more room to run with its downtown growth.

Additional highly-anticipated efforts include a planned $110 million mixed-use development next to Riverfront Stadium and a multimillion-dollar outdoor expansion at Exploration Place.

"There's truly a concerted effort to build this remarkable city," Greater Wichita Partnership president Jeff Fluhr said in a recent interview. "We're seeing that in action with the projects that have been announced.”
                      When these projects are finished, we should see a lot more activity as a whole.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another public meeting on the K-254 corridor has been scheduled. I may have to try and remember to go since it's going to be held in my hometown.

MSN - Public meeting on K-254 corridor plan set

The second public meeting on the proposed changes to the K-254 corridor in Sedgwick and Butler County is scheduled for November 8.

The 22-mile area is from northeast Wichita to western El Dorado, and land within 1 mile of K-254 that may be affected by changes to the road. The Kansas Department of Transportation is working with community leaders, property owners and individuals, and other government agencies along K-254 in Sedgwick and Butler counties, to develop the K-254 Corridor Management Plan.

The public is invited to see examples of proposed improvements for the highway based on public input from the previous meeting and new data analyses. KDOT staff along with representatives of the consultant team will be there to collect public comment and input, as well as answer any questions.

The meeting will take place Wednesday, Nov. 8, in the commons area of Circle Middle School, located at 14697 SW 20th St., in Benton.
                        I'd be curious to see what the proposed improvements might be. I still believe a number of bridges at the main crossroads makes the most sense.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          Good news for the Riverside area

MSN - Amidon bridge set to finish months ahead of schedule

Bridge is expected to open next week.
                          It’s been sitting there ready with very little activity over the last several weeks. It could have opened two weeks ago.
                          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Tragic news of an innocent person killed by a drunk driver a couple of days back.

Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Wichita business expands into a new state

WBJ - Wichita's Chick N Max is now open for business in its third state

Chick N Max's third U.S. franchise location has gone live.

The Wichita-based restaurant brand recently announced the opening of its first South Dakota location earlier this month in Sioux Falls.

It's one of three planned locations in the area as part of a franchise agreement with Brad and Max Reinke.
                              Chick N Max plans to add up to five new restaurants each year, powered largely by franchise agreements in Kansas and Texas.

In May, the company came in No. 29 on industry publication Fast Casual's 2023 Top 100 Movers and Shakers list. The annual Top 100, which highlights "innovative restaurant brands and executives shaping the fast casual segment," is comprised of 75 restaurant brands and Fast Casual's top 25 executives in the industry.
                              If I remember correctly, they're not just letting anybody become a franchisee and have turned some people down. I know there have been some exploratory efforts from Arizona and Arkansas in the past. We'll see if they can keep building momentum and continue to expand the brand. Sounds like Texas should become a pretty good area for them.

Could Chick N Max become the next Freddy's for Wichita?
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Could the Wichita Art Museum relocate? I do think they could use a bigger space.

Eagle - Wichita Art Museum floats 'a grand idea' to move downtown

Fierce Wichita advocate Ben Hutton said it’s “just a grand idea” right now, but the Wichita Art Museum is exploring a possible move to the former downtown Wichita library at his suggestion.

“Just personally, I love to dream about the future of this city and how we can make it amazing,” Hutton said.

WAM director Anne Kraybill noted that “this is super exploratory at this point.”

She said there are problems with the museum’s current building just off the Arkansas River near Botanica and the Old Cowtown Museum.

Kraybill said she realized that just a few weeks after she started her new job in August 2022. She was preparing for a site review with a national accreditation organization, which caused her to scrutinize the building, and she said she saw myriad issues.

“I wasn’t shy about talking to people about the concerns I had with the building.”

Hutton, who owns the Hutton construction company in Delano, was one of those people. He said he immediately saw an opportunity to help WAM and “a really important building in our city.”
                                I'm not familiar with the old library so I'm not sure how it's setup or how much space would be available. But it's an interesting idea for a building many want to save from being destroyed. Could this potential location help bring more people in to see the art? Is it bigger and would that allow more art to come out of storage to be seen?

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X