No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War, strikes and supply chain issues have delayed the 3D development in Valley Center.

WBJ - Supply chain issues triggered by war in Ukraine delay 3D-printed housing in Valley Center

The disruption underscores the need for onshoring manufacturing operations. As the global supply chain has seen significant disruptions in recent years — influenced by the Covid-19 pandemic and China's "Covid Zero" policy, the war in Ukraine and severe drought in parts of the world — U.S.-based and international companies have been increasingly considering moving manufacturing back to the U.S.

"We are hopeful that other future printer purchases will not be met with the same delay, as the printer manufacturer has recently launched a location in Florida to help speed up the process to produce printers in the USA," Crain said.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• The WBJ say down with the new face of Wichita economic development, Troy Anderson, who started in August as the assistant city manager for development services. He came to us from Omaha, which I believe has had a great deal of success in growing and developing in recent years and is seen as one of our regional peer cities.

According to media reports, he was instrumental in several landmark Omaha developments, including The Riverfront, The Crossroads and the Mercantile on the ConAgra campus, among other projects.

In Wichita, Anderson will guide the city’s efforts for commercial and economic development growth. Given his experience as a building inspector, certified planner and certified floodplain manager, Anderson will also coordinate and oversee Wichita's planning, housing, building and construction services, and utilities and engineering.

WBJ - Ten Minutes With... Troy Anderson, city of Wichita

What has been your first impression of Wichita so far? Wichita has grit. This community has a sense of pride and a can-do attitude that is unmatched. Despite everything that this community has faced, they remain determined. I think they've taken a long, hard look at themselves over the last several years and started implementing real sustainable change. And as a result, right now, Wichita has momentum. The investments being made in this community are really exciting.
      What are Wichita’s strengths when it comes to economic development growth and attracting new business, and where do you think the city falls short?
      Obviously aerospace, and aerospace manufacturing in particular, is the heart and soul of this community. But if we want long-term, sustainable growth and prosperity, we've got to diversify our portfolio. We want to be a regional and national center for advanced manufacturing, agriculture, health care, IT, energy, transportation and logistics. What are opportunities for improvement? I'd say our biggest opportunities though are talent retention and talent attraction. We have some of the brightest young minds in the nation, but we need to do a better job of giving them reasons to stay here. We want to be that place where folks from all over the world and from all walks of life say, "That's where I want to be!"
      Having someone with his experience in Omaha can only be a positive for Wichita I would think. There have been a lot of positives in regards to development, and repurposing some building. We still have plenty of vacant land and buildings that can be utilized and attract investment.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I dare you to watch the video and not feel something. This truly was a beautiful moment.

True Scoop - The Sedgwick County Zoo: Mother chimpanzee emotionally hugs new-born after it comes out of oxygen support

Mother's love is above all be it an animal or human. A similar kind of incident was soon in The Sedgwick County Zoo (SCZ) when a newborn baby chimpanzee was reunited with his mother. On Thursday, a baby chimpanzee was reunited with his mother for the first time who was on oxygen support ever since birth. The Sedgwick County Zoo which is a major attraction in Wichita, Kansas (USA) shared the video of their meeting on social media, and ever since then, adorable footage is winning the hearts of netizens. Apart from their meeting, the SCZ also released the newborn’s name.

In the Sedgwick County Zoo chimpanzee video, it can be seen the mother chimpanzee entered the area where her baby was kept. At first, the chimpanzee sees her child and when she finds out that the baby is her own, she lifts her up and emotionally hugs him for the first time after giving birth.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Lange Real Estate shares new details surrounding west ICT multifamily development

The Wichita-based firm said Friday that the Cypress Glen neighborhood will include approximately 50 zero-entry units — duplexes that do not include barriers to entry such as stairs, steps or ledges.

"People are increasingly looking for amenities that make life easier and living more comfortable,” said Genni Trilli, a Lange Real Estate residential agent, in a news release. "Zero-entry design offers significant benefits for people of all ages, eliminating steps that can pose a hazard for both older adults and young children. But there’s also a convenience factor for everyday tasks – things as simple as bringing in the groceries or checking the mail."

Lange Real Estate is targeting December 2023 for an estimated construction start.
          They're also looking for some commercial/retail opportunities at 167th and Maple.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Ignoring the political aspect of the funding...

WBJ - In its first year, infrastructure bill supported 26 new projects in south-central Kansas

Kansas leveraged $458.7 million in the first year of a major federal infrastructure funding bill to jumpstart 198 projects in communities across the state, including 26 across the south-central region of the state, according to an industry group study.
            The five largest projects that received grants in the past year in Kansas:
            • $53.4 million to construct a 4-lane freeway section from US-166/US-400 Junction, east to US-166/K-26 Junction in Cherokee County
            • $44.3 million for construction of northbound I-135 to southbound I-235 flyover ramp, including connection with new bridge over North Chisholm Creek Crossing in Wichita
            • $40.5 million for construction of two-lane roadway on four-lane right of way, interchanges at Broadway Avenue, Overpasses on Avenue V and 17th Road in Rice and Reno counties. K-14 will be carried over Avenue X and the K&O Railroad
            • $23.9 million for I-235, I-135, K-254 and K-96 Interchange (Gold Project) in northeast Wichita
            • $17.1 million for reconstruction of the I-235, I-135, K-254 and K-96 Interchange (Gold Project) in northeast Wichita to include light tower and sign structure replacements

In FY 2022, the south-central Kansas region has received $125.3 million in IIJA commitments to support 26 new projects, including:
            • $4.1 million for an expansion to Academy Avenue in Maize
            • $587,700 for an expansion to Andover Road in Andover
            • $367,000 to update the Wichita Bicycle Master Plan and implement a bicycle parking program
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Another big concert coming to Wichita.

KSN - Kenny Chesney bringing his 'I Go Back 2023' tour to Wichita; guest will be Kelsea Ballerini

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Kenny Chesney will bring his “I Go Back 2023” tour to Wichita’s Intrust Bank Arena on Thursday, March 30. His special guest will be Kelsea Ballerini.

Chesney played to over 1.3 million people at 21 NFL stadiums last year. It included a stop at Kansas City’s Arrowhead Stadium.

“I Go Back 2023 is going to be so awesome,” Chesney said. “To be able to take this music to where it comes from? To have Kelsea Ballerini out there with me, maybe even singing ‘half of my hometown’? It’s going to be a tour unlike any other – and I can’t wait.”
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                And for the basketball enthusiasts. A chance to see what may be the best basketball played in Charles Koch Arena this winter, December 1st thru the 3rd.

KSN - Wichita to host high-level basketball players in Air Capital Hoopfest

Cooz will be back in the house it appears, which may make Legacy the 2nd favorite team amongst the locals.

This is a pretty good list of schools. Tickets are $15 thru WSU.
                I did see on FB earlier that they have three of the participants ranked in their Top 25. I believe Sunrise was #3. I want to say Compass Prep (AZ) was #2 and Oak Hill was around #16.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Kansas Aviation Museum upgrading and expanding

Eagle - Kansas Aviation Museum is adding three new exhibits and a new theater

The Kansas Aviation Museum’s first capital campaign in more than a decade has raised $160,000 for a new theater and three new exhibits, two of which will be in the former airport’s original baggage claim area on the first floor.

“I don’t know if it’s ever been showable space at the museum,” said executive director Ben Sauceda.

The former baggage claim area has never been used for anything other than storage in the museum’s 31-year history.

“It was basically a catch-all area.”

That meant the original entrance where people entered the terminal after getting off planes had not been utilized.

Now, the space will be used for a Welcome to Wichita exhibit and for an expanded Kansas Aviation Hall of Fame.

There will be an expanded theater that will open where the hall of fame currently is, by an admissions area in the front of the museum.

Also, an expanded exhibit on black aviators will move to where the current theater is on the museum’s third floor, and it will be renamed the Rip Gooch Black Aviators Exhibit.

Sauceda, who joined the museum in October 2021, said the expansions and remodeling are all about creating more spaces in which to tell stories.

“With all things aviation, there are so many more stories to tell of individuals.”
                  I have to admit that I've never been here, but it sounds like it may be something I need to check out.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - The 30 most affordable large metro areas? Yeah, Wichita's a part of that

A federal study has determined what we in Wichita have known: We're an affordable place to live and work.

The Bureau of Economic Analysis recently released its Regional Price Parity Index, which shows how costs compare in metro areas compared to a national baseline of 100.

Wichita ranked 12th nationally among large metro areas with a score of 91.934, or about 8.1% more affordable than the national average.

According to the study, Wichita is as affordable comparatively as it's been in years. The city fluctuated between 5% and 6% more affordable than the national average through the Great Recession, then became more affordable in the mid-2010s. Wichita's best year in the past 15 for affordability was 2017 (8.2%), just a hair better than the most recent data available.

The BEA's index includes the cost of housing, services and goods, and Wichita does well in two of those three areas. Wichita's affordable housing ranks sixth among the top 100, and affordability in goods ranks 15th.

Wichita would be even higher on the large metros list if not for coming in 99th out of 100 in one surveyed area: the cost of utilities. Only Birmingham, Ala., ranked worst among large metros.
                    We seem to be the most affordable of our peers in neighboring states. And I knew utility prices were bad, but I didn't realize they were this bad.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita by EB - Topgolf will finally open to the public this week in Wichita

Things have been moving swiftly for the Topgolf location at 2976 N. Greenwich Road. Not too long after news went out they were going to open earlier than expected, there’s a grand opening date.

TopGolf will officially open to the public on Friday, Dec. 2.

Once they open, hours will be Monday to Thursday 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Bombardier Defense working with Germany

WBJ - German program lands more work at Bombardier Defense in Wichita

A jet for a defense contract tied to Germany has arrived at Bombardier Defense in Wichita, helping expand the scope of company’s growing military work at its U.S. headquarters.

Bombardier says in a press release that it has received another Global 6000 business jet as part of Germany’s Pegasus program for specialized surveillance aircraft.

Wichita employees will make the structural modifications needed for the jet to be equipped with the surveillance equipment developed by German sensor company Hensoldt, which will later be done by Lufthansa Technik in Hamburg.

The company says it has delivered three other modified Global 6000s for the program since the jet was chosen for Pegasus in 2020.

While two more jets for the program are still expected in Wichita, the company says the latest arrival marks the first work for a major European customer to the site since Bombardier made Wichita its U.S. headquarters and rebranded the local special missions group as Bombardier Defense in April.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita by EB - What's Happening This Week in Wichita (Nov 29-Dec4)

Air Capital Hoopfest 2022 | December 1-3
                          Where: Charles Koch Arena
                          Three Wichita organizations – Sunrise Christian Academy, Visit Wichita and the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission (GWASC) – are teaming up with the National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (NIBC) to host the first Air Capital Hoopfest December 1-3, 2022, at Charles Koch Arena on the Wichita State University campus. The three-day boys basketball showcase will feature five of the top high school basketball programs in the country.

12 Drinks of Christmas | December 2
                          Where: Exploration Place
                          Guests will receive a passport and souvenir glass to enjoy a special tasting from Chile, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Scotland, Spain, Sweden and England.

Illuminations | November 29-December 4
                          Where: Botanica
                          If light shows are on your list of things to do this winter, don’t forget to buy your ticket to the brightest place in Kansas! Botanica’s annual holiday light show, Illuminations, has been voted Top 10 Best Light Show in the country and is the perfect way to create lasting memories and new traditions with friends and loved ones. With over 2 million lights, we’re going a bit over the top this year and have incorporated several all-new light displays. Experience the holiday glow from our new MEGA tree and an interactive stepping stone path. All your favorite features will still be viewable, such as the Funky Tree, the Meadow Show choreographed to music, and so many more.

Santa’s Pancake Party | December 3
                          Where: Exploration Place
                          Join Us for a Fun and Festive Breakfast With Santa and Mrs. Claus. We’re decking our halls, donning our festive pajamas and prepping the pancakes! Santa and his reindeer are on their way to Exploration Place. Join us for a breakfast event your whole family is sure to remember.
                          These are just a few of the activities going on this week.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - PHOTOS: First look inside Wichita's new Topgolf

I'm pretty sure the 16 pic slideshow is available to all.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• New professional sports team coming to Wichita

Eagle - Former Shocker Teddy Allen to play at Koch Arena for new Wichita pro basketball team

Teddy Allen never played a game in a Wichita State uniform, but the former Shocker will finally have a chance to play basketball at Koch Arena in front of WSU fans.

Allen, who recently completed his college career at New Mexico State last season, has signed to play this upcoming season for the Wichita Skykings, a new minor-league basketball franchise that was officially launched on Tuesday.

The team will compete in The Basketball League and play their home games at Koch Arena during a season that will stretch from March to June.

“He loves Wichita and he was so excited to be able to come back to WSU,” Skykings coach Sean Flynn said. “He knows there was hype leading up to him playing and a letdown when he didn’t get to play for the Shockers. There were a lot of people in Wichita who took him under their wing and worked with him when he was there and he respects that. When he reflected on his college career, he knows some of the best learning and some of the best growth he had was when he was at Wichita State. So there’s definitely some unfinished business here for Teddy.”

Allen spent the 2018-19 season at Wichita State as a redshirt, but never played a game for the Shockers after being dismissed from the team in the summer of 2019 following an arrest.
                              This may be interesting to follow.

Wichita SkyKings

The Basketball League

There appear to be 46 teams in four conferences (East, Midwest, Central, West).

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• The Air Capital Hoopfest begins tomorrow (Thursday). A number of top ranked high school basketball stars will be in town.

Eagle - More than 20 nationally ranked high school basketball recruits to play in Wichita event

More than 20 nationally ranked high school basketball recruits, including five different five-star prospects, will be playing in Wichita this week at Koch Arena.

Sunrise Christian Academy has partnered with the National Interscholastic Basketball Conference to host the inaugural Air Capital Hoopfest, which will brings six of the best prep basketball teams in the country to play nightly games at Koch Arena on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

After spending time last season as the No. 1-ranked team in the country, Sunrise once again has national championship aspirations and will play three games in three days: against Oak Hill (Va.) at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, against Legacy (Texas), coached by former Shocker P.J. Couisnard, at 8 p.m. Friday and against Bishop Walsh (Md.) at 6 p.m. Saturday.

The other two teams playing in the event are AZ Compass, perhaps the most talented team in the country, and Wasatch (Utah). AZ Compass has eight nationally-ranked players on its roster and plays games at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and 4 p.m. Friday, while Wasatch features a blue-chip 2025 recruit and Jerome Tang recruit R.J. Jones, a 6-3 guard committed to K-State.

A handful of NBA prospects will be on display in Wichita, as well as prospects committed to high-major college programs like North Carolina, Baylor, Arkansas, Ohio State, Kansas State, Oregon, LSU, Cincinnati and Missouri.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X