No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More positive movement for medical facilities as Wesley will begin construction of a new rehab center.

WBJ - Wesley's new east Wichita center will address 'severe shortage of rehabilitation beds'

Wesley would have been able to build the new center regardless of the rezoning decision, but the approval means Wesley will have a slightly larger site plan.

According to public documents, Wesley proposes to build a one-story rehabilitation center with 41 beds, with the option to expand to two stories and 82 beds. The maximum building height, though, will be 35 feet. The facility will have 72 parking spaces, with driveway access off Vassar and Holyoke.

"The facility will feature state-of-the-art physical therapy services, as well as a specially designed courtyard where patients can exercise and receive therapy in a natural setting," Stewart said.

Slated to open in January 2025, the hospital is expected to employ approximately 60 people, Stewart said.

The City Council had decided Oct. 18 to send the rezoning request back to the District I Advisory Board after a number nearby homeowners opposed the plans and Wesley representatives expressed a desire to "build more trust" with neighbors, District 1 Council member Brandon Johnson said during that meeting.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Ike continues to do well.

KSN - September sees record air travel at Eisenhower National Airport

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — A record number of travelers flew in and out of Wichita in September.

According to FlyWichita, 69,718 people flew out of Wichita, an increase of 19.75% over September 2021. That number beats the record set in 2019 by 1,235.

Total passengers were 135,630, an increase of 16.41%. For this year, total passengers at Eisenhower National are up 23.28%.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More medical related expansion and growth.

WBJ - Kansas Plastic Surgery will open new $2.4M east Wichita office

And the office isn't going far. Construction is underway about a mile away on Greenwich Road between 21st and 13th streets.

"This is going to really expand what we're able to do and give us a lot more space to do it in, and just a more functional space," Schoonover said.

The expansion follows a strong period of growth for the local practice. While anxiety-producing at first, Schoonover said the Covid-19 pandemic ended up being a windfall for the office.

"Most plastic surgeons in the country got busier with Covid rather than less busy," he said. "It was a time when people could take time off. People could work from home. People could put a mask on and cover up what they had done, and so we really we saw a lot of growth in 2020 and even more growth in 2021. So it was really the most productive years I've ever had."

In general, Schoonover says plastic surgery has been a growing industry over the last 20 years. In addition to cosmetic surgeries, KPS also does reconstruction procedures for things breast cancer and skin cancer.

Schoonover said the Wichita market could benefit from more surgeons to meet the demand, which also comes from far outside the metro area. Wichita serves about a 1.5 million for tertiary medical care, he said.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - List analysis: Luxury apartment complex in NW Wichita advances toward 2023 opening

Jackson said he is excited about more than just the timing of delivering one, two, and three-bedroom units to a market that has seen a boom in luxury apartments in recent years — but still has the need for them.

Being located in the Maize school district, the nearby highway access to K-96 and having a lake right next to the complex (to the west) are all draws to Avante, he said.

"This property, in my opinion, scores very highly across the board," said Jackson, whose company's Class A apartment work has included the development of SunStone Apartment Homes at Fox

Ridge — not far away from Avante — near 37th and Maize Road.

Vantage Point also developed the SunStone Apartment Homes location in Andover, which sold last year.

Jackson said there has not been big changes in the amenities' plans for Avante over the course of the year.

The complex will feature pickleball courts, a saltwater pool, hot tub, a basketball court and fire pits, among other amenities.

One addition will be electric vehicle charging stations on site to fill an increased need in the market, Jackson said.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Report: Kansas ranks as one of the best states for finding jobs

OnlineU, a higher education research group, studied the number of unfilled jobs in each state, advertised salaries and cost of living to determine the top states to look for work. As millions of Americans across the country reconsider their careers since the lockdowns of 2020, OnlineU says the study, published in September, aims to help employees find the best options for relocating.
            OnlineU specifically notes that Wichita — considered the largest city in Kansas with a population just under 400,000 people — is a "great option for job-seekers looking for less populated areas."

The OnlineU report underscores the recent findings from the Center for Economic Development and Business Research at Wichita State University, which has predicted that the Wichita metropolitan area will outpace the rest of the state in projected job growth in 2023 — 1.1% year over year compared to 0.7% for the state.

Other reports have confirmed signs of a cooling housing market in the area. While still competitive with pre-pandemic metrics, local home sales in the South Central Kansas MLS have seen a notable year-over-year drop. That's while the average 30-year fixed-rate mortgage broke 7% for the first time in two decades.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Here's an interesting new business coming to town. Though apparently there's a similar business in Delano that I wasn't aware of.

AOL - A new IV hydration franchise is opening with two sites on either side of Wichita

They’ve settled on Prime IV Hydration & Wellness, a medical spa that focuses on IV therapy, which gives clients vitamins and minerals intravenously.

Of all the franchises they considered, Cody Beard said, “There really wasn’t one that spoke to us like this.”

He said, “My wife and I (have) huge healthy living habits.”

Lacey Beard is known as hippie mama for always searching for healthy options for her family.

“We knew it would be easy to sell because it’s something we believe in,” Cody Beard said. “This is a place that will take your health goals to the next level.”

The first Prime IV will open Nov. 23 at Cambridge Market. The center at 21st and Webb Road is where one of the Avon stores already is.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - NAI Martens report: ICT multifamily units projected to jump in '23

After the rate of multifamily unit additions in the Wichita market slowed in 2022, a bounce back is anticipated in 2023, according to a new report from one of the city's largest commercial real estate firms.

NAI Martens' annual Multifamily Market Update forecasts nearly 800 units will be added next year — about four times the amount delivered in 2022.

The report said market uncertainty in the early stages of the Covid-19 pandemic, followed by labor shortages and price increases on materials, caused an overall drop in new multifamily construction since 2020 after 2013-19 had seen "steady" new development.

"However, it appears the rate of development will return to the previous standard pace in 2023 based on projects planned or currently under construction," the report said.
                I'm really hoping some of the still vacant/mostly vacant buildings downtown get repurposed for apartments. There's still a growing need and one that will grow even more as the new med school gets going down there, along with the current med and culinary schools and their expected growth.

The article does mention a couple of projects that will be completed in '23, like Uptown Landing in College Hill (126 units), The Dumont in Delano (96) and Avante near 37th and Ridge which I believe I posted about last week (132).
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Some grand news for this young Wichita startup.

WBJ - Wichita's fast-growing QuickHire has a new name - and millions more in funding

A Wichita-based technology startup has rebranded and secured $2.2 million in new seed funding as it works to meet user demand for skilled labor among an expanding customer base.

QuickHire is now known as WorkTorch, a recent change its co-founders, sisters Deborah Gladney and Angela Muhwezi-Hall, say reflects new capabilities of the hiring app they originally launched in 2020.

Those upgrades include new recruiting and retention tools for hiring managers and career resources for individuals in the service industry sector that has been a boon to the young business.

That comes amid demand from multiple new markets, with the new funding round — led by Wichita-based Tenzing Capital — helping support expansion into Chicago, Denver, Kansas City, Nashville and Atlanta.

"WorkTorch is growing because we empower both sides of the employment spectrum — the career-seeker and the hiring company,” Gladney said in a statement. “We connect service industry professionals to the careers they want, as well as provide company support to ensure that their new employees feel empowered and nurtured. Our country relies on skilled service workers, but existing career platforms continue to overlook them. WorkTorch is listening to the people in this sector.”
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A few hundred more rental units are in the planning stages for far west Wichita, in what I believe is the Goddard (Eisenhower) school district.

WBJ - Zoning change approved for multifamily development in far west Wichita

Plans for a duplex and apartment development on Wichita's western edge avoided hurdles during the most recent Metropolitan Area Planning Commission meeting.

The commission, by consent, approved a request to change the zoning of 54 acres — sitting within a half-mile north of Maple Street on the western side of 167th Street — from single-family residential and a manufactured housing district to MF-18 multi-family and a B multi-family residential district.

According to the MAPC agenda report, Lange Real Estate and Ryan Mills are the contract buyer for the land, with Meysing Properties, LLC listed as the current owner.

"The contract buyer intends to develop 108 duplexes (216 dwelling units) within the proposed B multi-family residential district and 90 multi-family apartments within the proposed MF-18 multi-family residential district," the report said.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - PHOTOS: City unveils early design of new Delano multimodal center

At this stage, the plans include 12 bus bays, ticketing windows, a security office, public and staff restrooms, lobby, offices for transit operations staff, space for bicycle and scooter parking, and a parking structure for approximately 400 vehicles.

The center, which will sit on a 1.5-acre square block bordered on all four sides by Oak, Texas, Sycamore and Burton streets, will serve as the new terminal and transit hub for city buses and shuttles, and, once it opens in 2025, will replace the current terminal that operates in downtown Wichita at Topeka and William.

City leaders have said they hope the new facility could change the way Wichitans access the downtown core, and could help ease parking issues surrounding Delano and Riverfront Stadium.

The city says it anticipates having final design plans in April 2023, with construction beginning sometime in late summer.
                      Photo slideshow in the link that I'm pretty sure can be accessed by anyone.

I'm also not sure if this will improve public transit in the city or not. I know a lot of people complain about the lack of public transit, but I think that's also partly because of lack of use. I know people use it, but I'm pretty sure the city loses quite a bit of money on the system. I could be wrong. I guess here's hoping this new facility benefits those who need it and the Delano District.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Aviation supplier pulls $1.4M building permit for Wichita expansion

Wichita Machine Products is a 42-year-old company that manufactures small to medium-sized precision machined products and assemblies for the aerospace and defense markets. It's currently located in a 5,000 square-foot building at 2930 S. Old Lawrence Road, near 31st South and Broadway.

The new facility will more than triple Wichita Machine Products' footprint.

Jeremy McAsey, company president, wrote in the IRB application to the city that Wichita Machine Products has capitalized on opportunities for new work that opened up after the closure of a number of similar operations that did not survive the pandemic.

"Despite the challenges we've experienced as a result of the recent pandemic, the past six years have very successful for Wichita Machine Products," McAsey wrote. "As a company we have realized substantial growth, however our capacity is now limited based on the square footage of our current facility."
                        You always like to see growth from those that call ICT home.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• New furniture store coming to the east side.

Eagle - Waterfront lands another national retailer, and this one is all about comfort

A new furniture store is coming to the Waterfront at 13th and Webb Road, and it’s all about comfort.

LoveSac, a Connecticut-based chain, is taking the former Lululemon space next to Whole Foods Market at the northwest corner of the intersection.

The brand is known for what it calls Sactionals. That’s the company’s name for its modular seats that can be combined in a variety of ways.
                          I know nothing about this place, but at least it's not the announcement of another car wash.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            New furniture store coming to the east side.

Eagle - Waterfront lands another national retailer, and this one is all about comfort

I know nothing about this place, but at least it's not the announcement of another car wash.
                            Or another Bob Mills store...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I do think that we will see a second HS in the Circle district at some point. With an expected growing population in NE Wichita that is within the district and the efforts that Benton is actively taking to grow and attract people and businesses, at some point they'll pull the trigger. I believe Circle is now one of the 10 largest 4A schools in the state and they may pull and Andover after they hit 5A and work towards a second school. The question would be if that school would be built in Benton or if they'd build in along Greenwich somewhere. I know Benton would active fight for it and there is plenty of land in and around the town that they could put it. They are planning to annex more land in the near future I believe.

Seeing a Circle West in the next decade wouldn't surprise me. Benton and NE Wichita being Circle West with Circle remaining Towanda and western El Dorado.

I looked up the most recent classifications based on enrollment numbers here. Circle is the 9th largest. It's definitely a growing district and will continue to be.

Interesting tidbit, the Wichita metro is home to the four largest high schools in the state. Southeast, East, North and Derby.
                              The 4 largest Wichita high schools equal 9,197 (avg 2299) while the 4 largest Joco school equal 7,530 students (1882)

the SM schools in Joco have generally the highest scholastic scores on average and they average 1,555 per school.

Wichita can easily add another 6a school or two and provide a better learning experience for the students.

SE is overcrowded and moving students to Heights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

The 4 largest Wichita high schools equal 9,197 (avg 2299) while the 4 largest Joco school equal 7,530 students (1882)

the SM schools in Joco have generally the highest scholastic scores on average and they average 1,555 per school.

Wichita can easily add another 6a school or two and provide a better learning experience for the students.

SE is overcrowded and moving students to Heights.
                                Which is what I thought the original intention of building the HS in Bel Aire was about. Maybe it was just an assumption that the district would add a Northeast HS to the mix. It's still a school and all, but I think it has some other specified focus or something. I've never looked much into it. Though I also believe they started to build, or at least plan, that school when they were also trying to take some of the Circle district and add it to Wichita. That fight forced Circle to delay the building of Greenwich Elementary until an official decision was made on boundaries and if Circle was going to lose land.

Regardless, it definitely appears that another HS on the east side somewhere might help alleviate some things. I also don't know how Wichita splits up their maps so I'm not sure where else a school might make sense. Wichita is also running low on directional names so they may have to get creative if they do build.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X