General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Wish it was that price but your not even close this summer. They built that splash park and are probably trying to pay for it. They used to be more in line with your prices. We used to enjoy it, but they have priced themselves out of our market.

Single Day Pass

$39.99 per adult | $34.99 per child
    • Park Admission
    • Animal Feedings (5)***
    • Splash Park Access*
    • Jungle Gym Access
    • Parking Included
    Yikes!
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• If you go more than twice a year, the season passes they offer sound like pretty good deals. I believe this is what most of my friends do. They probably take their kids at least once a month or so.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        WBJ - After zoning approval, development eyes possible annexation into NW Wichita

This appears to be a piece of land near 21st and 151st. That means nothing to me, but you west siders may have a better idea of location.

It's around 100 acres of land and most of it would be used for residential, with less than 10 acres for commercial.

This is also the first that I can recall hearing about a NW bypass.

Should we just go ahead and essentially loop 96 around Wichita. I know I've heard people talk about how it may be beneficial to somehow take where 96 ends in east Wichita and more or less continue it on to the Derby area. Guess we could just do the NW bypass and then eventually have it connect the Goddard area with the Derby area and we have close to a circle.
        The Northwest Expressway has been in the planning stages for about 20 years. Currently, land for the right of way is being purchased in little parcels each year, but funding for design and construction has been delayed by the state choosing to instead pave northeast Kansas highways with gold plating.

When the gold plating is finished and the state finally recognizes that there are worthy large highway projects south and west of Lawrence, the bypass won't be K-96. That continues north and west to Hutch. The bypass is being dubbed an extension of K-254. But I have a sneaky suspicion that what will actually happen is US-54 will be re-routed west out of El Dorado onto present K-254 and then follow the bypass to the connection with Kellogg.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• KSN - Wichita Thunder looking for new NHL affiliate

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — After five seasons as the National Hockey League (NHL) affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers, the Wichita Thunder is looking for a new affiliate, as Edmonton announced they will be affiliating with the Fort Wayne Komets next season.

The Wichita Thunder have been the minor league NHL affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers and American Hockey League (AHL) Bakersfield Condors since the 2017-2018 season. Before that, they were the NHL affiliate of the Ottawa Senators and the AHL affiliate of the Binghamton Senators.

Thunder General Manager Joel Lomurno said in a news release they intend to find a new affiliate soon.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita by EB - Could Topgolf open sooner than originally planned?

With construction moving at a good pace, I’m hearing that the Wichita Topgolf facility, which will include 50+ bays and a 9-hole mini-golf course, could very well open earlier.

They are currently in the process of hiring and possibly aiming for a winter opening. That may be the very end of this year, but more likely, early 2023. Anything can happen though, between now and then. Delays are always expected, so, take this with a grain of salt. One things for sure, we should have it open within the next year.
            I believe original estimates had it opening around April(ish), but it sounds like they're currently ahead of schedule. I'm sure that the lack of weather over the past couple of months has helped. Could it be open before the end of the year?

I think there's no doubt that this is a big deal and will be a great asset to Wichita, and I think many in the area are excited to get it open as soon as possible.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Party on the Arkansas River this weekend!

Wichita Clean Streams, whose mission is to develop and implement water quality improvement projects in the community that restores and protects the overall health of the river, is hosting Wichita Big Float & Beach Party.

The party is on Saturday, Aug. 30, from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. It will start at Old Cowtown Museum, 1865 Museum Blvd, and end at the Shocker Rowing RiverVista Boathouse, 150 N McLean Blvd, where everyone can enjoy the Big Float Beach Party.

At the party, attendees can:
              • Rent kayaks
              • Rent paddle boards
              • Rent bikes
              • Have fun on the dock
              • Play yard games
              • Layout
              • Enjoy beach music
              • Eat grilled hot dogs and chips
              Leave it to local media not to proof read things, as this is Saturday, July 30th and not August 30th.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• AOL - New distillery and tasting room with a familiar name coming to downtown Wichita

The business still will produce Wheat State Bourbon, but Price said, “We’re also going to think out of the box.”

That includes having a smaller still for boutique brandies and other drinks. Price said he’ll be “chasing the fruits,” meaning he’ll look to whatever is in season for his productions.

He said he’s been working with farmers to source corn and wheat along with fruit from nearby orchards.

“It’s going to be a first mile-type situation,” he said of procuring items locally.

Price also is a small partner and salesman for Alchemy Coffee Werks, which sells coffee beans to area businesses, and he plans some coffee-infused liquor as well.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - NXTUS sets the slate for next fintech pilot contest

I really like what NXTUS is trying to do in Wichita.

The NXTSTAGE fintech contest is also supported by Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation and Greater Wichita Partnership.

“This program puts Kansas at the front of the innovation pack as early adopters of tools to improve identity verification, prevent fraud, cultivate customers from underserved community segments and provide enhances services to their small-business customers,” says Mary Beth Jarvis, executive director of NXTSTAGE.

The organization’s fintech pilot competition last year landed a partnership with Emprise for Cedar Credit Builder of Sioux Falls, which helps consumers with little or no credit boost their score with automated lending and repayment on small-scale credit lines.

A similarly recurring competition geared toward healthcare culminating last month resulted in 22 pilot projects and 13 potential partnerships.
                  While this is essentially a world wide competition, it puts Wichita in the middle of it all in regards to innovation. One would hope that things like this could lead to more eyes from tech being on Wichita and potentially moving into Wichita.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I still believe a 'feature film' should be made about this tragedy; so many intriguing stories to tell. I forgot about Chris Connelly's ESPN article in 2020.

Three generations later, the secrets of Wichita State's devastating plane crash are still unfolding (espn.com)

Dave Lewis - RIP

*Survivor of Wichita State University football team plane crash has died

Survivor of Wichita State University football team plane crash h - KAKE
                    I’m not ashamed to admit that I got pretty choked up watching that piece. I remember the day we heard about the crash. Truly a very sad day. Those Arkansas fans were effing classy. Thanks for sharing the link, I had not seen that.

Comment

• A new hotel near the airport?

WBJ - Airport hotel developer seeks $16.8M in revenue bonds for sales-tax exemption

On Tuesday, the Council, acting as the Wichita Airport Authority, will vote whether to approve a request from Airport Hotel LLC for up to $16.8 million in airport special facilities revenue bonds to achieve a sales tax exemption on construction materials, as well as furniture, fixtures and equipment, according to an agenda report.

Airport Hotel LLC, which includes Wichita developer Mitesh Patel, has secured a franchise agreement to build a dual-branded hotel with Homewood Suites and Hilton Garden Inn.

The hotel, planned for the city-owned site to the north of the Hampton Inn & Suites at Harry and Ridge Road, will have at least 100 rooms, a meeting space, and food and beverage facilities.

"This new development will provide a new diverse hotel property promoting growth and optionality for our growing airport corridor," Patel wrote in a January letter to the Council.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Classes begin Monday at Wichita's new downtown medical school

"It's amazing. It's like the whole space came alive," said Megan Bayer, director of simulation for the college. "... It's been so heartwarming and exciting to see the students be here."

An extensive renovation has transformed the Finney State Office building — two conjoined buildings at 230 E. William and 130 S. Market. The college now has a skills training center, patient teaching rooms, lecture rooms, small study rooms and integrated anatomy science labs.

All that's left is the building's main entrance off of Douglas Avenue that's still under construction. School officials anticipate an October completion, so for now students and faculty will use the entryway off Broadway and William.

While this first class has 91 students, the school will enroll 127 next year and 170 every year after that — numbers determined by its accrediting body.

Nearly a quarter of the students are from Kansas. School officials have said that if the college can attract a Kansas-based student and put them through clinic rotations and residency in Kansas, there is a 60 to 70% chance that the physician will remain in the state after graduation.
                        Really interested to see how this plays out long-term.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This is a nice win for Wichita.

WBJ - Cybersecurity company Novacoast will relocate headquarters to Wichita

Novacoast, a cybersecurity company that opened a 24-hour security operations center in the Epic Center in early 2021, is making an even bigger commitment in Wichita.

The company announced Friday that it plans to relocate its global headquarters from Santa Barbara, Calif., to Wichita.

Novacoast, which already employs 40 in its Wichita office, plans to hire at least 60 more, as well as double its square footage in the Epic Center, said Paul Anderson, Novacoast's chief executive officer.
                          In an interview, Anderson said Novacoast has built a talent pipeline with higher education institutions in the Wichita area, including WSU Tech, Friends University and Butler Community College. The company has set up a cybersecurity training program for those who are blind and visually impaired through Envision Inc., and Novacoast has also tapped into the talent pool in the 184th Intelligence Wing for the Air National Guard at McConnell Air Force Base.

"Because of their incredible experience in the cyber world out there, and being Air National Guard, it's not always full-time positions," Anderson said. "... We've gotten great talent out of there."

While Novacoast's relationship with organizations like Envision and McConnell are simply training for now, Anderson added that the company plans to launch a new program to hire U.S. military veterans coming out of service.
                          Sounds like they'll have the top two floors of the Epic Center.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More signs that Wichita needs more apartments.

WBJ - New report highlights competitiveness in Wichita apartment market

Demand in the U.S. apartment market has remained high in 2022, and according to a new study, Wichita continues to follow suit.

RentCafe, a nationwide apartment search website, listed Wichita as the No. 18 hottest small-sized rental market this year in a report released earlier this month.

A small market is defined by the website as having less than 20,000 rental apartments.
                            According to RentCafe, the Wichita metro (which, as defined by the website, includes Arkansas City, Winfield and Hutchinson) has a 96.3% occupancy rate — above the 95.5% national average — and 11 prospective renters per vacant unit.
                            While new apartment projects like 225 Sycamore and The Baltimore were brought to the market in 2021, RentCafe noted a lack of new apartment complex completions in Wichita so far in 2022 as one of the factors in the competitiveness of the market.

But more projects are coming. That includes Main Street Living's announcement earlier this month that it planned to convert the old Commerce Bank building into up to 152 luxury apartments and a co-working space.

There are also plans for more apartments at ReNew Wichita and apartment and other multifamily projects advancing near Wichita State University and other locations.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              This is a nice win for Wichita.

WBJ - Cybersecurity company Novacoast will relocate headquarters to Wichita

Sounds like they'll have the top two floors of the Epic Center.
                              This has been in the works for some time. The owners were quite fed up with California.

Comment

• No doubt. Just hope we can maybe get a few more things like this to move in. There are a lot of reasons for a number of corporations to leave CA. This state needs to be business friendly in hopes of getting more eyeballs on the possibilities we could present.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X