No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOL - Five Wichita restaurants win prestigious Wine Spectator awards, but one falls off list

Wine Spectator magazine recently put out its annual Restaurant Awards lists, and five Wichita restaurants were on it.

Five were also on the list last year — but in 2022, a new Wichita restaurant was added and another fell off the list.

The magazine, which each year honors the “world’s best restaurants for wine,” this year recognized 3,169 restaurants from all 50 states and from more than 70 countries. The magazine chooses award winners on three levels. The top is the Grand Award, given to only 97 restaurants this year.
    The five are Wine Dive, Scotch & Sirloin, Siena Tuscan Steakhouse, Vora Restaurant European and Chester's Chophouse.

Chester's is new to the list. 6S Steakhouse fell off the list.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - Farnborough 2022: Moran says Kansas has new opportunity to compete on workforce

I know many of us have talked about the need to diversify, but that doesn't mean the top dog has to stop being the top dog. I know he's a politician, but it sounds encouraging that Wichita is still having a strong presence at an air show like this and in the wake of labor shortages elsewhere, they can show Wichita has a strong hold on the skills needed for companies that may be looking to relocate or have new facilities or simply need new supply chain options and can look to Wichita for comfort.

Moran says labor continues to come up in his conversations with manufacturers, including those this week at the airshow.

But with some geographic regions that were re-location hotspots in recent years now proving difficult from a talent-pool standpoint, he thinks Kansas and Wichita could be at a competitive advantage as the industry hopes for a sustained post-Covid rebound.

The more companies now that can be shown the education and workforce ecosystem in the local region, he believes, the higher the likelihood that even more aerospace will land here.

And that includes all sectors of the industry, he says, noting recent increases locally in defense and space work.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm still really curious to see how this turns out. They claim that they can complete a building in about a week if I read this article correctly. And most of the pictures I've seen of 3D printed houses have been fairly nice. I think I've seen claims that this sort of construction is around 33% cheaper to do. Sounds like VC will see houses/duplexes start to go up before the end of the year.

WBJ - Valley Center will have first-of-its-kind 3D printed housing community

The construction starts with typical site work — roads, utilities, grading. Crews put in a building pad and excavate footings.

"We will bring in the printer then, assemble that on site over the building pad," Ross said. "And then we will load up the cement silo with the dry bag mix, add water, and then it will get pumped through a hose to the print nozzle that's following the tool-path that has been generated from the design model."

Layer by layer, the printer builds up the concrete walls until they reach bearing height. Finally, crews complete the framing and roofings, add doors and windows, paint and complete the interior finishes.

The method is not unlike tilt-up construction, pre-cast insulated concrete form and masonry.

"All those things that people already are familiar with, we're just kind of (adding) slight tweaks to make them work with the 3D printing," Ross said.

Print time averages around 24 hours for a 1,200 square-foot home — or three working days from start to finish

"You can pretty much do a building a week, by the time you get the printer set up, put up the walls, take the printer back down," Ross aid.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Interesting. I've seen a couple of different 3-D printed structure types. One does every wall of the house, while another only does the outer walls and the inner walls are wood-framed. I wonder which style this uses.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            Interesting. I've seen a couple of different 3-D printed structure types. One does every wall of the house, while another only does the outer walls and the inner walls are wood-framed. I wonder which style this uses.
            I'm not sure. I've only done casual research as it's intriguing. I've also seen some that appear to be two story houses all done 3D, while some seem to only be 3D on the ground floor with 'normal' construction for the upper portion. Seem to be a lot of options. Some look more basic and I've seen some that are quite elaborate. I'll have to drive out to Valley at some point when these get going.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Amazon employees in Kansas can pursue college degree from Butler under new program

“We are proud to support adult students and teaming with Amazon is an innovative way to give the region increased access to high-quality courses and programs,” said Jessica Ohman, associate vice president for student services at Butler, in the news release.

Through the Career Choice program, Amazon will pre-pay 100% of tuition for employees to earn bachelor’s degrees or industry certificates, or to simply to learn new skills — up to an annual maximum benefit.

Hourly Amazon employees will be able to tap into Butler's coursework in business and accounting, information technology, cybersecurity and more.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Celebrate National Day of the Cowboy at Old Cowtown Museum Saturday

The National Day of the Cowboy in 2022 is Saturday, July 23.

Old Cowtown Museum, 1865 W Museum Blvd, is hosting an annual celebration of the workers who created the American West and their impact on the history of Wichita on Saturday, July 23, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The museum will be putting on a skit featuring the Four Horseman who started Wichita. There will also be demonstrations of the many skills that were required to do the tough, demanding and unpredictable work.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Sedgwick County Zoo moves forward master plan with train debut

"This train has been a long time coming," said Scott Newland, the zoo's president and CEO, during a ribbon-cutting ceremony Friday. "It is something that we really wanted for many, many years here at Sedgwick County Zoo, and it is truly a dream for us."

Each train can carry up to 80 guests per trip.To ride, it costs $4 for zoo members or $5 for non-members.

Much of the track is behind the scenes, Newland said, offering guests an opportunity to view never-before-seen views.
                  The train is one of several new additions at the zoo as it celebrates its 50th year in operation. In 2021, the zoo opened itsnew entry complex, including a new gift shop, box office and administrative offices, a new leopard exhibit and a new hands-on stingray exhibit.

The remainder of the 25-year master plan, unveiled in 2018, includes new guest experiences and venues, including an African lodge hotel and waterpark, a community events center, aquarium, new concert stage and an animal carousel.
                  This could be a cool little addition. I may have to check it out next time I hit the zoo.

I also hope that the hotel, waterpark and aquarium happen sooner rather than later, but I also understand the zoo isn't made of money. But those additions could help bring more people in from outside of the area.

Again, we have a very special zoo and one of the best in the country. I'm not sure if a better marketing campaign would do more to draw in outsiders or not, but it is a jewel to the community.

Though the end of the article seems to indicate that they understand this and are working towards making the zoo a destination. I look forward to seeing that plan come to pass.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - After zoning approval, development eyes possible annexation into NW Wichita

This appears to be a piece of land near 21st and 151st. That means nothing to me, but you west siders may have a better idea of location.

With the zoning request approved, Nett Development is expected to request island annexation into Wichita — and the zoning change would only become official if that annexation occurs.

"This is an exciting expansion of the city of Wichita at the end of the day. This spot is very well-suited for ultimately being a part of Wichita and being zoned as we request," said Garver's Chris Bohm, the applicant agent, who spoke at Thursday's meeting.

Bohm highlighted the Kansas Department of Transportation's Northwest Bypass plans as part of the reasoning why the zoning change made sense.

The Northwest Bypass would extend K-96 from around 45th Street and Maize Road to Kellogg, just east of Goddard. The project has been discussed for years but has not yet come to fruition due to funding challenges.

"I know that facility isn't imminent, but it is on KDOT's master plan for consideration, and this reinforces that with growth beginning to actually develop along that corridor," Bohm said.
                    It's around 100 acres of land and most of it would be used for residential, with less than 10 acres for commercial.

This is also the first that I can recall hearing about a NW bypass.

Should we just go ahead and essentially loop 96 around Wichita. I know I've heard people talk about how it may be beneficial to somehow take where 96 ends in east Wichita and more or less continue it on to the Derby area. Guess we could just do the NW bypass and then eventually have it connect the Goddard area with the Derby area and we have close to a circle.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      WBJ - After zoning approval, development eyes possible annexation into NW Wichita

This appears to be a piece of land near 21st and 151st. That means nothing to me, but you west siders may have a better idea of location.

It's around 100 acres of land and most of it would be used for residential, with less than 10 acres for commercial.

This is also the first that I can recall hearing about a NW bypass.

Should we just go ahead and essentially loop 96 around Wichita. I know I've heard people talk about how it may be beneficial to somehow take where 96 ends in east Wichita and more or less continue it on to the Derby area. Guess we could just do the NW bypass and then eventually have it connect the Goddard area with the Derby area and we have close to a circle.
                      Yeah that NW Bypass has been discussed for years. But you're right - Derby needs a connection as well. Whether it be some sort of loop up to east Wichita or the 96/Kellogg area....or even making Rock a freeway from Pawnee down to Derby. Hell people drive like it's a freeway anyway.

Comment

• Article made it sound like it's long been talked about. Being from BuCo it probably just never registered as I only cared about the east side, and still mostly do as it is more pertinent to me. Though I've worked in west Wichita, or west of Wichita for a few years now, when not working from home, so the west side has opened up a bit to me.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita Riverfest attendance released: 330,000

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — The organizers of the Wichita Riverfest say this year’s 50th-anniversary celebration was a success. Wichita Festivals, Inc. says attendance was back to pre-pandemic levels.

A total of 330,000 people are estimated to have attended the nine-day event.

“A rushing river can’t keep Wichitans from having a great time and supporting their community celebration for its 50th Anniversary,” Nancy Duling, Wichita Festivals CEO, said in a news release. “With river events paused for some of the festival due to rapid currents, folks turned their attention to our stellar concert line-up and diverse events. We’re so grateful to the generous sponsors and hard-working volunteers who power this event to success decade after decade, no matter what.”
                          Article also shows a number of positives as far as sales of food and apparel being up quite a bit over the 2019 Riverfest, which was pre-covid.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - National water skiing event coming to Wichita area

MAIZE, Kan. (KSNW) — The 2022 GOODE Water Ski National Championship, the world’s largest seven-day water skiing tournament, is taking place from August 7-13 at Mystic Lake Ski Club, 8209-8001 Mystic Lakes N in Maize.

World record-holding water skiers from all over will be in attendance.

Amateur skiers will be competing for national titles in slalom, tricks, jumping and overall in respective age divisions, and women’s and men’s open divisions.
                            I love seeing these types of events come to the area. Things that may not interest everyone, but they bring a lot of new people to town for a week.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita by EB - Escapology Escape Rooms closes following Bowlero ownership change

This is unfortunate news. I know quite a few people who loved going there. Also bummed about changing AJ's.

As part of the ownership change, some changes were made including name changes to the restaurants inside. For instance, AJ’s at Northrock is now called The Northrock Bar and Grill while AJ’s at The Alley is now The Alley Bar and Grill; very exciting stuff, I know!

Unfortunately, there was a casualty in all this change as the escape room located inside The Alley, Escapology, is now closed. The escape room’s Wichita location has been taken off the corporate site and their Google business listing was marked as permanently closed.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                Wichita by EB - Escapology Escape Rooms closes following Bowlero ownership change

This is unfortunate news. I know quite a few people who loved going there. Also bummed about changing AJ's.
                                I dare you to go online and try to rent a lane - you wanna talk about sticker shock! Guess I won't be going there or Northrock ever again with my kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X