General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

I dare you to go online and try to rent a lane - you wanna talk about sticker shock! Guess I won't be going there or Northrock ever again with my kids.
    I was confused by this comment, but then went online and holy ****! One lane for two hours appears to be $90, no matter if there are 2 or 7 people on the lane. Then add in the $6 or $7 for shoe rentals per person. That is insane. And if those numbers are accurate and not some glitch in the system, I'm not sure how they plan to stay in business. A family can go to the movies and load up on popcorn for less than this. I'm assuming, I don't have a family and never buy popcorn.

But if this is all accurate, then my days of bowling with friends from time to time has come to an end. I think Seneca is still open if we wanted to go out west.
    Last edited by SubGod22; July 25, 2022, 02:07 PM. Reason: Had wrong still open west side alley
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• It appears that North Rock is about $25 cheaper for some reason, and West Acres is about $35 cheaper than The Alley. That's for one lane, two hours.

According to websites, Derby Bowl and Seneca Bowl charge per person, per game. That charge is $2 for each. $3 for shoe rentals. So you're looking at two people paying $5 per game each. How many games can you get in in two hours? Even at three games, that's only $18, which is almost $40 cheaper than West Acres for those same two people.

Round1 appears to charge $5 per person.

Shocker Sports Grill & Lanes charges $4.50 per person and $2.50 shoe rental to the general public.

The longer I think about this the more I wonder how this works as a business model. I'd pay more than what's being charged at the other places, but unless you have a group of 7 or so, I'm not sure how the bulk pricing of Bowlero makes any sense. And even then, I'm not sure that The Alley prices make sense.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        It appears that North Rock is about $25 cheaper for some reason, and West Acres is about $35 cheaper than The Alley. That's for one lane, two hours.

According to websites, Derby Bowl and Seneca Bowl charge per person, per game. That charge is $2 for each. $3 for shoe rentals. So you're looking at two people paying $5 per game each. How many games can you get in in two hours? Even at three games, that's only $18, which is almost $40 cheaper than West Acres for those same two people.

Round1 appears to charge $5 per person.

Shocker Sports Grill & Lanes charges $4.50 per person and $2.50 shoe rental to the general public.

The longer I think about this the more I wonder how this works as a business model. I'd pay more than what's being charged at the other places, but unless you have a group of 7 or so, I'm not sure how the bulk pricing of Bowlero makes any sense. And even then, I'm not sure that The Alley prices make sense.
        It makes absolutely no sense for my 2 kids and I to go over there some afternoon and drop $120 just to bowl a couple of games.

Comment

• At least there are other available options out there, though those options are shrinking.

I'm not sure if Grizzly Bowl in El Dorado is still open. I know at one time they were struggling and that was before Covid. Though I did find a Google review from a month ago so maybe that is still an option for some of us. Growing up, it was all about North Rock and The Alley became a nice option when it was built. But damn. West siders still have Seneca. Derby looks better and better for those south of town. I always forget about Shocker Lanes, but that can be a decent option for some.

I'm still just stunned by this revelation.

I don't know how much it generally costs to go to Dave and Busters or what Top Golf will cost, but I'm guessing they're both better options for entertainment at a better price than The Alley now, and probably North Rock as well.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I bowled a lot when I was younger. I can remember the days of paying .50/game. When i was going to WSU I often skipped my last Friday class to meet my Grandpa at Crestview to bowl for a couple of hours. Those are memories that were well worth missing class for!

The last time I did any open bowling, as opposed to
            league, I think the cost was $2.50/game. I have my own equipment so shoes were never an issue. Those prices are absurd. I would never pay that to bowl.

And btw, if you are somewhat focused it takes about 10 minutes to bowl one game.
            Go Shocks!

Comment

• Wichita by EB - What's Happening This Week in Wichita (July 26-31)

Twilight Tunes on the Terrace | July 26
              Where: Botanica
              Relax and unwind with a concert series at Botanica this summer. The Garden mixes things up with live music, happy hour, and horticulture. Doors will open at 5:30 for you to enjoy cocktails, beer, wine, and non-alcoholic beverages for purchase from The Bar on Demand, and come hungry and purchase dinner from Molino’s Mexican Cuisine. Seating is first-come. Enjoy the Summer Gardens before the concert begins then listen to live music on the Terrace from 6:30-8:30. Clear your schedule, pack a picnic, call your friends, and relax in the Gardens with Twilight Tunes on the Terrace.

Apparition Blackbeard | July 27-30
              Where:
              Apparition: Wichita
              Apparition is setting sail for the high seas! Join the crew of the notorious Blackbeard and explore flavors and sensations like never before! Whether ye be a gentleman pirate like Stede Bonnet, a clever devil like Jack Sparrow or a dread captain like Blackbeard, we have drinks a plenty for you at this one of a kind pop up bar – and the rum is never gone! Enter our pirate cove to enjoy souvenir pirate punch bowls, filled with delicious dead man’s treasures, frozen drinks served in coconuts, and GROG! This pop up will run Wednesday – Saturday in June & July. Read our feature here.

A Summer of Magic: Harry Potter Dome Theater Experience | July 28-29
              Where: Exploration Place
              Exploration Place is bringing the world of Harry Potter to Wichita! Each week our wizard and muggle guests will watch one movie in the series on the dome screen with booming surround sound. Before the show, participate in themed classes and interactives provided by a variety of Hogsmeade shops and magical places. Butterbeer will flow freely and there will be an opportunity to take home muggle artifacts.

Food Trucks at the Fountains | July 29
              Where:
              Wichita Boathouse
              Final Friday Food Trucks @ the Fountains – Art Show & Party. Free for all ages to attend… OVER 16 Food Trucks. Local Artists & Vendors will be set up inside and outside of the Boathouse. Booze Trucks * Yard Games * AXE throwing with the Tomahawk Truck.

Improv Shows at Flying Pig Improv | July 30
              Where: Flying Pig Improv
              Fun times will be had at our live improv show! It’s simple: No reservations, no ticket pre-sales, arrive early for best seats – doors open at 7:30 p.m. and the show starts at 8:00. Tickets are $10; cash or credit card at the door.

The Big Float | July 30
              Where: Arkansas River
              The Big Float is a river float and beach party on the Arkansas River in downtown Wichita. The goal of the Big Float is to build support for improving river access and creating a river habitat for Wichitans. The event includes live music, drinks, food, fun in the sun activities, and more.
              Just a few of the events this week that might be enjoyable. There are a lot more within the link.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Not sure how much this matters to most of us, but it seems to be a big deal in some circles.

WBJ - Nordstrom Rack confirms spring 2023 opening in Wichita

The Seattle-based retailer says it will be a 28,000 square-foot store. Bradley Fair management has said the Nordstrom Rack will open in a portion of the former Bed Bath & Beyond store on the south end of the outdoor shopping and dining center, which is located at 21st Street and Rock Road in northeast Wichita and is managed by WS Development.

It will be near the Trader Joe's and Pedego.

"Nordstrom Rack is a retailer that has often been requested by our shoppers, and we are excited to fill that want," said Bradley Fair general manager Abbey Way in the news release.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Not sure how much this matters to most of us, but it seems to be a big deal in some circles.

WBJ - Nordstrom Rack confirms spring 2023 opening in Wichita
                  Love Nordstrom Rack. Pretty much buy all of my work related clothes (dress shirts, pants, shoes) there and it has some great deals.

Comment

• Then I was mistaken. I admit that I know absolutely nothing about it, but have seen some of my female friends express excitement over it. I assumed it was more their thing. Guess I assumed wrong.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This one is out of Wisconsin, but I have such a love for Doc that I'm going to share it. I enjoyed reading this piece.

Spectrum News 1 - What's up, 'Doc?': Restoration of B-29 WWII bomber a remarkable journey

Tony Mazzolini is a plane guy. He worked for Continental Airlines, loved vintage aircraft and, in particular, the B-29 WWII Superfortress. He found one sitting in the Mojave Desert, just rotting away.

Mazzolini thought to himself, “I’d like to buy this.” So he contacted the Navy.

“And the Navy said, ‘Well, you can’t buy it. We can trade for it,’” said Josh Wells, executive director and general manager of Doc’s Friends, Inc., a nonprofit out of Wichita, Kansas.

So what does one trade for a B-29 WWII bomber? Well, a Michael Jordan rookie card would not cut it.

“They wanted a B-25 restored, a static restoration of a Doolittle Raid B-25,’’ Wells said of the aircraft used in the 1942 air raid of Tokyo.

Mazzolini said, “OK.” He went to South America, found one, graded it, brought it to Florida and had it restored.

“He came back a few years later,’’ said Wells, “knocked on the Navy’s door and said, ‘OK, well, here’s your B-25. I’d like to have my B-29 now.’”

While the Navy received a B-25 in pristine condition on the outside, Mazzolini got a B-29 that was riddled with holes as it was used for target practice by the Navy, was corroded, was home to various desert creatures who had taken up residence the previous 40 years and was missing a bunch of interior items, taken by scavengers.

It would take another 10 years for Mazzolini to get the plane out of the desert, delayed by such things, like figuring out a way not to disrupt the habitat of the endangered desert tortoise.

Eventually they got it out, but discovered it was not airworthy. So Mazzolini called a guy named Jeff Turner, who at the time was the site leader at Boeing Wichita (Kansas), where “Doc” was built.
                      The story continues. It's a great story, this story of Doc, that every Wichitan should be familiar with.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This I like.

WBJ - Visit Wichita, Sports Commission team up on new basketball showcase event

Working with the National Interscholastic Basketball Conference, the organizations said Tuesday that from Dec. 1-3, 2022, Koch Arena will host the first Air Capital Hoopfest.

"The NIBC represents the highest level of high school basketball in the country, and we are lucky to have one of those schools, Sunrise Christian Academy, right here in Wichita. We are thrilled to cheer them on in the first-ever Air Capital Hoopfest," said Josh Howell, vice president of sports development at Visit Wichita, in a news release.

Sunrise Christian, a perennial basketball powerhouse which won the regular season NIBC title last year, is among five of the top high school programs in the nation competing in the event. Other teams may be added to the showcase, which now also includes Oak Hill Academy (Va.), Arizona Compass Prep, Bishop Walsh School (Md.) and Wasatch Academy (Utah).
                        Bringing some very high level prep basketball to Koch Arena is a big deal. Odds are this would find its way onto one of the ESPN's and give local fans something fun to do and help showcase Sunrise to those that maybe aren't all that familiar.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita by EB - Tanganyika Wildlife Park celebrates 14-year anniversary with $14 admission

In honor of this occasion, Tanganyika Wildlife Park is offering $14 admission for the first of August (1st-7th). The park will be open those dates from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. It’s a fantastic deal that includes a ton of perks with each entry.

Throughout the week, your admission will get you:
                          • Access to Tanganyika Falls Splash Park
                          • In-park Discounts
                          • Daily Animal Demos with Zookeepers
                          • Birthday-Themed Enrichments for the Animals
                          • Feed Stations
                          • Daily Deals on Animal Encounters
                          • and a FREE SURPRISE at the Entrance
                          I've still never been, but I have a lot of friends who love taking their kids.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Wichita by EB - Tanganyika Wildlife Park celebrates 14-year anniversary with $14 admission[/LIST]I've still never been, but I have a lot of friends who love taking their kids.
                            Same here... heard it's a great experience, but pricy. $14 sounds like a bargain. I believe it's regularly $25 adults and $20 for children.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Maybe a bit pricey, but they have to be able to afford what they do and they don't get the assistance that the zoo gets from taxpayers.

Though these days, it's much cheaper than going bowling
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Same here... heard it's a great experience, but pricy. $14 sounds like a bargain. I believe it's regularly $25 adults and $20 for children.
                                Wish it was that price but your not even close this summer. They built that splash park and are probably trying to pay for it. They used to be more in line with your prices. We used to enjoy it, but they have priced themselves out of our market.

Single Day Pass

$39.99 per adult | $34.99 per child
                                • Park Admission
                                • Animal Feedings (5)***
                                • Splash Park Access*
                                • Jungle Gym Access
                                • Parking Included

Comment

Working...
                                X