No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess the potential of the Navy deal could be quite a bit better than what KSN simply reported. It's still not Army helicopter levels, but still.

WBJ - Textron Aviation's newest defense win could grow past $675M

According to a contract announcement from the Navy, the contract allows for the procurement of up to 64 of the King Air 260 twin-engine turboprops to push the total potential value to $677 million.

Textron Aviation builds the King Air at its plant in east Wichita.

The aircraft will be called the T-54A with the Navy and will be used to replace the T-44 Pegasus, which is an older King Air model originally manufactured by Beechcraft.

The upgraded King Air 260 variant was originally introduced in 2020 as part of a broader refurbishment of the company’s turboprop portfolio.

Textron Aviation, now the parent of both Beechcraft and Cessna, will also provide support, spare equipment and initial training on the T-54A.

Deliveries are expected to run from 2024 to 2026.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Another one of those small wins that continue to add up

KSN - Wichita to host NJCAA Division I Soccer Championships

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Wichita has been selected to host the 2023 and 2024 National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division I Men’s & Women’s Soccer Championships.

Visit Wichita says the games will be held Nov. 12-18, 2023, and Nov. 17-23, 2024, at Stryker Sports Complex in northeast Wichita. The complex had previously hosted the NJCAA Division II men’s and women’s championships in 2021.

“The NJCAA looks forward to the DI Men’s & Women’s Soccer Championships being held in Wichita, KS, in 2023 and 2024,” says Liz Homrig, NJCAA Director of Championship Operations, in a news release. “The Stryker Sports Complex is a premier soccer venue and Visit Wichita has a strong history of providing a first-class experience to the association’s student-athletes.”
      Economic impact is projected to be around $700K
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• And more single-family homes coming to the west Wichita area.

WBJ - Lange Real Estate planning a residential development just west of Wichita

Plans call for a total of 84 homes when all four phases are completed. Home prices for the development are expected to start at around $600,000.

“It’s really a great location, just because of the proximity to west Wichita and all the conveniences of both northwest and southwest Wichita, while also falling just far enough outside of town that you have the ability to be on more spacious lots and have privacy," said Rachel Lange-Mills, president of real estate at Lange, the parent company of Lange Real Estate.

Reservations for Phase 1 lots and the second phase's 15 lots — which will also have a private, gated drive — will open Jan. 31, according to the company. Lange Real Estate's Logan Pote will be the exclusive listing agent for Rachel Brooke Estates.

Lot sizes will range from 1 to 2.5 acres, and a large pond is a feature of the north-central portion of the development. The builders are Artistic Builders, Beverlin Custom Homes, Lies Bugner Homes and JP Custom Homes.

Development will be near the intersection of 167th St. West and 4th Street
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Just a reminder for those that are traveling on the north end of town Saturday.

KSN - Wichita bridge demolition set for Saturday, part of I-135 closing

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Drivers in the area of the North Junction construction site in Wichita could see a bridge coming down this Saturday, Jan. 28.

The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) plans to close southbound Interstate 135 so workers can demolish an adjacent bridge.

KDOT will close southbound I-135 from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. at the North Junction. The closure will be at westbound K-254 and southbound I-235.
          I'm trying to think which section would be demolished but I'm having a hard time picturing it right now. Regardless, it's happening.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Good news, bad news

KSN - Wichita helps raise $7.2M to help domestic violence victims

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — An organization dedicated to helping victims of domestic violence and ending domestic violence has reason to celebrate.

The Wichita Family Crisis Center raised more than $7.2 million to complete its NEW HOPE Capital Campaign. The money is going toward a new facility five times the size of the old building.

“We have been witnessing epidemic levels of domestic violence and human trafficking, and for years there has been not enough safe, confidential space for victims. We regularly lacked capacity for 40 to 50 victims a month. We spent years trying to find safe places to keep people alive while working in a run down, leaking shelter with only 2 bathrooms,” Tracey Gay, director of Client Services, said in a news release.

For years, there has been insufficient emergency shelter space for domestic violence victims and their children. Officials say the new Crisis Center will triple the emergency shelter space.

They say it will also be the leader for “cutting-edge prevention programming and will make a generational impact on the domestic violence and human trafficking landscape” in south-central Kansas.
            Good news is a much needed facility is in the works and should be able to adequately assist many more people than previously. Bad news is, that there is this great of a need in this area and such space is absolutely necessary for the assistance and well being of others.

I grew up in a home that experienced some DV from time to time and for a number of years I've been an advocate for ICT S.O.S which is targeted at assisting trafficking victims and educating the public on the issue and how to identify or assist. Needless to say, this facility helps in a few areas I'm passionate about, and as they point out, these things contribute the mental health and substance abuse issues we experience in our communities as well.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Looks like the north end is about to get serious about sparking activity and community in Nomar Plaza and Woodland Park . The link that follows should have a slideshow available to all.

WBJ - Vamos Nomar identifies 3 projects to activate Wichita's North End

A community-driven initiative examining how to turn the predominately Hispanic neighborhood into a vibrant cultural district has identified visions to further activate three sites: Nomar Plaza, Woodland Park, and the 21st and Market intersection.

Called Vamos Nomar, the initiative was spearheaded by four local nonprofits — Empower, the Wichita Foundation, the Kansas Health Foundation and United Way of the Plains — with the goal of uncovering a new neighborhood catalyst plan for the North End, including the well-known Nomar District along East 21st Street, roughly from the Little Arkansas River to Broadway Avenue.

"We've seen a lot of great things happen in downtown, Delano, College Hill or other areas of town. I think traditionally, people just feel left behind," said Empower executive director Ariel Rodriguez.

The 10-year vision for Nomar Plaza, the site of many popular events such as the Nomar International Market, involves plans for a playground area, 100 planted trees, an outdoor stage and lawn, splash pad and food truck and picnic area.

Vamos Nomar also envisions introducing a network of vacant storefronts along 21st Street that can serve as mobile pop-ups for entrepreneurs and vendors to sell their products — providing important startup space for new businesses. The plan also adds new bike lanes, space for outdoor dining and extended sidewalks.

In the long-term vision for Woodland Park, Vamos Nomar recommends to build an amphitheater and soccer field, as well as extend the existing riverfront trail and a series of docks to improve access to the water.

Rodriguez said it will be a long process to move the plan forward, including working with local city officials and other supporters to "take this to the next level" — including identifying funding.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A new tradition set to begin?

Wichita by EB - The Wichita Wagonmasters to host The First Annual Wagon O'Masters Paddy Party

Details are still being finalized for the Wagon O’Masters Paddy Party, but here’s what we know.

There will be a big Blarney Beer Garden, food and drink, a Gaelic Grill with burgers, brats and hot dogs. DJ Carbon will be DJ’ing the event, live music will be provided by the premier Irish and folk rock band, The Sassanachs, and of course, every St. Patrick’s Day party needs ceremonial bagpipes to kick off the event.

A 50/50 raffle, games and more will be announced in the coming weeks.

Justin Baxter with the Wagonmasters also noted, “”We’ve seen other cities throw a St. Paddy’s celebration and felt like Wichita was deserving of one of its own. We hope to do a few things with this event, to host a fun, safe party for Wichita and to bring awareness to our Good Life Grants which serve dozens of local charities annually.”
                My ancestral Irish blood wants Wichita to have some great SPD events and a grand old time.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Novacoast launches training program focused on blind and visually impaired talent

Students in the 10-week course will be trained for multiple industry certifications, including CompTIA, A+ and Security+ examinations.

Novacoast CEO Paul Anderson says the idea for Apex came from a partnership following its entrance to Wichita with Envision Inc. — a local nonprofit with a mission that includes providing employment opportunities for the blind and visually impaired.

“It was just fascinating to us,” Anderson said.

Following an analysis of the accessibility of its own operations, Anderson says it became apparent that Novacoast could be a catalyst for those opportunities.

As part of Apex, students will receive the training that could get them in the door at Novacoast.

But, Anderson says, the certifications will make graduates eligible for roles anywhere in the industry.
                  I see this as a pretty cool venture that sounds like it could get some good inroads to good jobs for some generally under-served people.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Potential good news for some of our Hutch friends.

WBJ - 'Hibernation' over? Siemens Gamesa's Hutchinson plant could restart production soon

"At this time, Siemens Gamesa has returned the Fort Madison, Iowa, blade facility to production, and we are in the initial stages to return the Hutchinson, Kan., nacelle facility to production over the next month," Shannon Sturgil, the company's CEO of Onshore North America, said in an email to Recharge, an industry trade publication.

Ninety-two employees in Hutchinson and 171 in Fort Madison were set to be laid off last year due to the temporary closures, according to the company at the time. It's not clear how many employees will be hired back and on what type of timeline.

Multiple WBJ requests for further comment from Siemens Gamesa were not returned.

The Siemens Gamesa website currently has two Hutchinson-specific job postings listed.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• ICT continues its rebound from Covid with a big 2022. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new record set in 2023.

WBJ - Wichita passenger count tops 1.5M at Eisenhower National in 2022

Continuing its rebound from the impact of the pandemic, Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport has reported a 19.5% passenger increase for 2022.

According to new data from the Wichita Airport Authority, a total of 130,322 people flew in and out of the airport in December to push the annual count to 1.53 million passengers.

That easily bested the total of 1.29 million in 2021 and, in line with previous projections by the WBJ, came within 14% of the record total of 1.75 million passengers set in 2019.

The increased passengers also helped significantly boost revenues for the year.

Concessions rose 27% compared to 2022 to $6.3 million, while car rentals rose 24% and parking increased 34% to $27.5 million and $5.7 million.
                      It's apparently cheaper to fly out of ICT thank OKC, but a little higher than both KC and Tulsa. Though looking at these numbers, assuming I'm looking at them correctly, ICT is cheaper when you factor in the cost of gas to travel to either KC or Tulsa.

That's on average, so there may be times and destinations where it does make more sense to travel elsewhere.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I don't have access to the Eagle on-line, but something pretty large appears to be in the works in the 316... the State Finance Council will meet today at 4 to discuss incentive packages for the $1 billion-plus megaproject.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                          I don't have access to the Eagle on-line, but something pretty large appears to be in the works in the 316... the State Finance Council will meet today at 4 to discuss incentive packages for the $1 billion-plus megaproject.

Hints at Integra. Take it from me, Lefler and the Eagle are not worth the access.

Comment

• I've been ill and not really online. I'll see what I can dig up.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                              I don't have access to the Eagle on-line, but something pretty large appears to be in the works in the 316... the State Finance Council will meet today at 4 to discuss incentive packages for the $1 billion-plus megaproject.

Topeka CJ

KC /Wichita Eagle
                              https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...272043042.html

Last edited by Veritas; February 2, 2023, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• So 2000 Integra jobs and up to 3000 support jobs with other local companies?

This could be huge for Wichita as this is a field that the US is trying to get more done at home, and Integra is setup to be a major player if this all plays out.

Apparently Integra was being courted by other states to relocate
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X