General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

I would assume not at this point. Probably why it's moving forward now after so many years with nothing happening.
    That was my assumption as well. Didn't seem to be going anywhere with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      I'll put this here since it's "General News in the 316".

Wichita attorney disappears, clients say he took their money with him (kwch.com)

Where is Devoe Treadwell? That’s the question clients, and those in the courthouse are asking after the well-known Wichita attorney stopped showing up to court or even returning calls. Clients tell FactFinder Investigators that he disappeared, along with the money they paid him.
      Interesting that 12 found him at his home. A quick search shows a very middle class rural homestead in SE Wichita. At 84, I wonder if this isn't somehow related to Dementia/Alzheimers perhaps? If he's "on the lamb" then he's obviously not very good at it.

It sounds like there's a fund set up to help folks scammed by lawyers. Any jurists here that know how that works, and for my curiosity, who funds it? I hope it's funded solely by other lawyers somehow.

One would also assume it wouldn't take Woodward and Berstein to find and interview other staff at his office, before they closed their doors. If not for media interviews, then for Kansas Bar interviews (which they admit wouldn't be open to discussion if they are current).

Comment

• If he is at his house how is that disappearing?

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Is Mike Loveland still involved in this project?
          Somewhere I'd read that this is all because of new developers from previous attempts
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Wichita startup gets a major backer.

WBJ - Koch Disruptive backs Wichita startup Weavix

Koch Disruptive Technologies, a division of Wichita-based Koch Industries Inc., has put $10 million through a Series A funding round behind Weavix, a company specializing in connecting what it calls the "internet of workers."

And with that backing, says Weavix CEO Kevin Turpin, the young company is set to scale itself into a market comprised of billions of frontline workers and their employers.

“Demand for our product now is unreal,” he told the WBJ. “We see extreme growth in the future.”
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A potentially big and important visit took place on Tuesday.

WBJ - History points to contracts following SpaceX visit to Wichita

Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kan., hosted SpaceX president and COO Gwynee Shotwell in Wichita this week, helping guide the space executive on tours of local manufacturers, including Spirit AeroSystems Inc., and a luncheon event with local leaders at the B-29 Doc hangar at Eisenhower National Airport.

“The reason I’m here is to meet the leadership of these companies, get an understanding of how they like to do business,” Shotwell said ina report from WBJ partner KAKE News. “We’re looking for all sorts of new companies to bring to the (SpaceX) family.”

And if past visits hosted by Moran are an indication, Shotwell likely found some new supplier family members on the trip.

Space company Blue Origin in October 2021 announced it had signed four local companies — Harlow Aerostructures Inc., Accurus Aerospace Wichita, C.E. Machine Company Inc. and Orizon Aerostructures LLC — to supply contracts following a Moran-hosted visit earlier that summer.
              Moran, whose work in the Senate includes being an appropriator for both NASA and the Department of Defense, has in recent years organized similar tours of the National Institute for Aviation Research at Wichita State University and other entities many have credited for significantly boosting defense spending in the region.

As he has said in the past in relation to military leaders, Moran insinuated Tuesday that it’s a matter of getting outside aerospace executives to the region and letting the local capabilities speak for themselves.

“Too often, people who don’t live in Kansas don’t know Kansas,” he said. “With increased federal investment and with an ever-growing private sector … (space) is a perfect asset to add to what people in Kansas do for a living.”
              Space has a lot of future potential for production/manufacturing and Wichita is equipped better than most to transition more business into that area.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Some future road work being planned around Wichita. Most of these sections of road mean nothing to me personally as I'm either very rarely or never on these stretches.

KSN - Some Wichita roads will be redesigned, get bike lanes

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — On Tuesday, the Wichita City Council approved money to redesign several busy city streets. And one road that doesn’t get much use will be closed to any vehicles.

The City’s Capital Improvement Project includes six makeover projects. Gary Janzen, City of Wichita engineer, told the council members what to expect with the redesigns.
                Sections include:

143rd Street East, Kellogg to Harry
                17th Street North, from I-135 to Hillside
                37th Street North, from Hydraulic to Hillside
                Broadway from Third to 13th Street
                Mt. Vernon, from Southeast Boulevard to Oliver
                15th Street bridge over the canal (to be turned into a pedestrian bridge)

A few of the projects have to be coordinated with KDOT due to future plans/improvements involving K-96.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More closures and detours involving the north interchange over the next couple weeks.

KSN - Ramp and road closures coming to I-135 construction site in north Wichita

Two ramps closed Jan. 21

This Saturday, Jan. 21, the Kansas Department of Transportation is closing two ramps near the North Junction construction project from 7 a.m. until approximately 6 p.m.

One of the ramps is from northbound I-135 to southbound I-235.

The other closure is westbound K-254 to southbound I-235.

While the ramps are closed, drivers will be sent to northbound I-135, then to exits at 53rd Street North or 61st Street North, where they can exit northbound I-135 and then take the southbound I-135 entrances. From the southbound lanes, they can exit onto southbound I-235.
                  Southbound I-135 closed Jan. 28

The more significant closure will come on Saturday, Jan. 28. KDOT will close southbound I-135 from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. at the North Junction. The closure will be at westbound K-254 and southbound I-235. Workers will be demolishing the adjacent bridge.

During the closure, southbound drivers on I-135 will be detoured onto southbound Interstate 235, then to Broadway Avenue.

At the end of the exit ramp to Broadway, drivers will have to take a right turn and then another right turn to get onto the entrance ramp to northbound I-235. As soon as drivers are on I-235, they will need to take the southbound I-135 exit to continue in the original direction.
                  Can't wait for this project to finish, though that isn't happening soon.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Historic plane restoration project in jeopardy after building work is being done in was sold.

KSN - New space in Wichita needed for historic plane renovation

Wichita, Kan. (KSNW) — About a year and a half ago, a damaged vintage World War I aircraft arrived at a hangar at Eisenhower National Airport. As many as a dozen volunteers have been working a couple of days each week to restore the 1918 military DH-4, which is one of only five that exist in the world.

When the Bleckley Airport Memorial Foundation is finished with its restoration, Wichita’s DH-4 will become the only airworthy plane of its kind.

The foundation – named after Wichita’s only aviation Medal of Honor recipient – is dedicated to preserving this piece of aviation history.

The hangar where they’ve been restoring the 105-year-old aircraft was recently sold. So, the two men behind the project are searching for a new space to continue their work.
                    It's really a shame. I remember reading how much time and effort went into getting Doc back in the air. It's a process and passion project for those that are involved. I really hope they can find somewhere to relocate and finish the project in Wichita. They mention wanting to stay in the city, which leads me to believe at least one of the surrounding communities have offered a space, but I don't know that for certain.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Preparations for expansion and improvements along K-96 are moving along.

KSN - Getting K-96 ready for more traffic; public meeting on Feb. 2

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — More than 50,000 vehicles travel daily along Kansas Highway 96 on Wichita’s northeast side. By 2050, that number is expected to double.

From K96Improvements.com. (Courtesy KDOT)

To prepare for the increased traffic, there is a plan to expand seven miles of the busy highway to six lanes and improve the seven interchanges from Interstate 135 to 21st Street. The remaining stretch of K-96 to the Kansas Turnpike would get new pavement.

In November, the project manager told KSN News that the interchanges would be total reconfigurations, with new geometry, on and off ramps, bridges, and improvements to the streets beneath K-96.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More promising signs for Eisenhower and Wichita

WBJ - Eisenhower Airport ridership continues its rise from pandemic fallout

The latest data from the Wichita Airport Authority shows that the airport hosted 135,214 passengers in November to push its 11-month total last year to 1.4 million people.

That was up 21% compared to the same period in 2021.

And, while the full-year numbers for 2022 haven’t yet been released, an estimated total points to a year that largely returned to pre-pandemic levels.

Since July, the airport has averaged a year-over-year increase of around 11% each month.

Using that average for December — though without the potential ridership impact of Southwest Airline’s year-end meltdown factored in — Eisenhower Airport would be in line for around 138,000 passengers in the final month of 2022.

That would push its annual total to around 1.54 million for 2022, which would only be around 13% off the record ridership at the airport in 2019.
                        Also, Concessions up 28%, Car Rentals up 24% and parking fees up 36%.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Glad to see Textron is still confident about maintaining the helicopter deal despite the expected challenge from Lockheed. This Army deal is a huge win for Wichita.

WBJ - Textron boss remains confident in Army helicopter win

“It’s been an unbelievable robust process … so it’s hard for me to understand what flaw would’ve been in the process,” Donnelly said on a conference call following the company’s quarterly earnings report. “It’s kind of inconceivable to me, but we’ll leave that to the Army and Lockheed. We think they made the right choice. I’m proud of what our team did and we’re excited … to get on with the program as I’m sure the Army is.”

Asked directly by one analyst on the call what a viable argument against the Bell win might be, Donnelly responded: “I don’t think there would be one.”

The protest period runs through early April.

A solidified FLRAA win for Bell could mean significant production work in Wichita on the defense program.

Spirit AeroSystems Inc. (NYSE: SPR) has built the full fuselage for the Valor during its development, making the local supplier the heavy frontrunner for that work once the program reaches full production.

While not expected as a one-to-one replacement program for the existing Army fleet of Blackhawk helicopters, FLRAA could help drive production of potentially more than 1,000 new aircraft.
                          And remember, the long term deal could be worth around $70B.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Wichita will continue to be the home of a national championship event.

WBJ - NAIA men's wrestling championships staying in Wichita through 2025

Visit Wichita announced Tuesday that the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics had picked it to host the NAIA men's wrestling championships in 2023, 2024 and 2025 at Hartman Arena in Park City.

Hartman Arena has hosted the event since 2020. Visit Wichita said the championships bring hundreds of athletes to the region with an economic impact of $800,000.

This year's event takes place March 3-4.

"We are excited to once again bring this national event to the heart of the country for three more years," said Josh Howell, vice president of sports development at Visit Wichita, in a news release. "The event brings in competitors from all over the country, boosting local economic impact, is broadcast live on ESPN3 and is also a great opportunity for local and regional wrestling fans to enjoy two days of top-notch wrestling right here in the Wichita area."
                            Is this huge? No. Is it just another piece that brings more people to town and gets more exposure and does have a positive economic impact? Absolutely.

Wins add up.

And I'm not sure if I missed another announcement while I was out last week, or if this is one that's just slipped through the cracks elsewhere, but Wichita apparently had another win announced recently.

Visit Wichita - Wichita Selected to Host 2023 Military Basketball Association Signature Events

The Military Basketball Association (MBA) recently announced that their 2023 MBA Playoffs and 2023 MBA Hall of Fame will be held in Wichita, Kansas, May 26-28, 2023.

In an announcement on their website, the association says they are extremely proud to be working with Visit Wichita for this event, which will welcome military athletes and veterans to the city.

“Wichita, the largest city in Kansas, is the heart of sports in the state,” said Josh Howell, vice president of sports development at Visit Wichita. “Sports thrive here. Plus, the city radiates friendliness and ingenuity as the Air Capital of the World. We’re beyond excited to welcome the Military Basketball Association to the ‘Heart of the Country’ and host the incredible athletes and veterans who will be competing in this year’s events.”

The majority of games will be played at Wichita Hoops and will feature six courts for pool play. The Adaptive Sports Wheel Chair Tournament and the High School Skills event will also take place at Wichita Hoops. The championship games for the MBA Eastern and Western Conference Finals and MBA Championship Game will be played at Charles Koch Arena, home of the Wichita State Shockers.
                            No idea what kind of economic impact they may be projecting for the MBA, but it's just another win.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A few projects to keep an eye on this year.

WBJ - Six commercial projects in Wichita that will make progress in 2023

Airport hotel

Description: Construction is expected to pick up in a big way in 2023 on a much-anticipated airport hotel project. The $15-million, four-story hotel will have 156 rooms, as well as meeting convention space and a restaurant. It will be dual-branded as a Homewood Suites and a Hilton Garden Inn, in which guests can rent rooms from either brand. It's expected to be a 14-month build anticipated to complete in June 2024. The hotel is planned for the city-owned site to the north of the Hampton Inn & Suites at Harry and Ridge Road.

Read more about the project here.

Avante

Description: The first two buildings and a clubhouse are anticipated to open this spring at a new luxury apartment complex in northwest Wichita — the first pieces of what will be a 372-unit complex completed next year. The developer behind the project says it will meet strong demand for high-quality rental properties. Estimated at $50 million, Avante is impressive for its sheer size and highly desired location, and will feature pickleball and basketball courts, a saltwater pool, hot tub and fire pits, among other amenities. It's going up on an 18-acre site at the northwest corner of Ridge Road and 37th Street.

Corterra of Wichita

Description: The group behind a new geriatric behavioral health hospital will introduce a new model of care in Wichita when the facility opens sometime in 2023. Corterra of Wichita will be a 21,000 square-foot hospital with 24 private rooms that will treat seniors 65 and older experiencing a mental-health crisis or behavioral disturbance most often related to Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. The facility is under construction off Ridge Road near K-96 in northwest Wichita

Main Street Living

Description: A long-vacant, iconic piece of the downtown Wichita skyline should finally see construction activity in 2023. The former Commerce Bank office building at 150 N. Main will be transformed into luxury apartments and a "fashionable co-working space," expected to have up to 152 apartment units on the upper floors. The 10-story building, originally built in 1955, has remained vacant since 2013. While work is rumored to begin soon, we haven't heard any updates about this project in a while, yet it remains a high-profile project to watch.

Phillips Fundamental Learning Center

Description: Construction is nearing completion on a new Phillips Fundamental Learning Center, a 37,800 square-foot facility at the northeast corner of Central and 143rd Street East. Uniquely designed to emulate the work of famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright, the new center is targeted to open in June. The project is a result of a $19 million capital campaign from the long-running Wichita organization that empowers dyslexic children 5 to 10 years old by teaching them how to read, write and spell, and also educates parents and teachers about the needs of struggling readers.

Scheels

Description: Wichitans are eagerly awaiting the July opening of a Scheels store in Towne East Square — perhaps one of the bigger retail openings at a Wichita mall in several years. The North Dakota-based sports retailer will occupy a large, two-story space on the west side of the mall totaling 220,000 square feet in the former Sears space that's been largely vacant since 2019. The store is expected to have several attractions such as a wildlife mountain, rollerball, interactive arcade games, sports simulators, as well as a candy shop and cafe.

Read more about Scheels' local hiring efforts here.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• MSN - Textron given $113 million contract from U.S. Navy

The announcement from the DOD says Textron was awarded the $113,107,250 firm-fixed-price contract “to provide for the production and delivery of 10 Multi-Engine Training System aircraft, initial spares, peculiar support equipment, instructor pilot training, and maintenance personnel training to provide intermediate and advanced training for accession into P-8, EP-3, KC-130, E-6, E-2, CMV-22 and MV-22 aircraft in support of the mission of Chief Naval Air Training for the Navy. “

Most of the work will be performed in Wichita (99%), while 1% will be completed in Corpus Christ, Texas. The work is expected to be finished in 2024.
                                Not massive, but Textron Defense continues to stay relevant
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X