General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBJ - 5 takeaways from the Wichita chamber's 2023 legislative agenda

Promote and expand critical tax/economic development incentive programs that result in more jobs and investment, including an extension of the APEX program

Among the state's economic incentive toolbox, the legislature approved the landmark APEX (Attracting Powerful Economic Expansion) bill in February to attract a company to invest $1 billion in Kansas. State officials say the program was crucial in luring Panasonic's $4 billion electric-vehicle battery plant to De Soto.

The APEX program, though, will expire at the end of 2023, and Watkins said it will be a priority for the chamber to advocate for an extension.

"We think that's a program that should continue," he said. "That's not us saying that there shouldn't be appropriate oversight. ... We have to make sure that there is a good return on investment, that these monies are being invested wisely."

While he couldn't provide details, Watkins said there are megaprojects in the pipeline for the Wichita and South Central Kansas area, but "it will require a program like APEX being renewed in order for those programs to come to fruition," he said.

Support funding for the Wichita biomedical campus, and encourage investments in mental health and substance abuse, including a state mental health hospital in Wichita

Last month, the state approved the use of $15 million to begin planning for a new 50-bed adult psychiatric facility in Wichita, and Watkins said more money has been requested from the state's allocation of federal Covid-19 relief funds.

The project is "in a good place," he said.

Watkins said support for the downtown biomedical campus — a planned $302-million education center shared by the the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita, Wichita State University and WSU Tech — will be crucial to training the medical workforce of the future.

"That will create great synergy for both the hospital and for the campus, and we're just very excited to see all of this get started and get to the point of completion," he said. "Those two things coming together, I think this is a generational opportunity for Wichita and South Central Kansas. It will change what this community is and how it operates."
    A couple of focus areas that should interest at least some on the board.

If there is another APEX project approved this year, it really needs to be one of the projects around here. If they award another win the NE KS I would guess getting the program extended might get complicated if the rest of the state thinks they don't even get a chance. Though I also wouldn't object if some other area of KS won something, as long as it wasn't in the KC area again. No matter where a major project lands, there will most likely be benefits to other parts of the state, just not as impactful as the region that gets it.

This will be something to keep an eye on as I believe the Governor said a while back that there were something like nine other potential projects eyeing Kansas with this program. They may not all be quite Panasonic big, but a big win of any kind is a good one.

Then I believe we've discussed the biomedical campus here and in the WSU growth thread. The potential it would bring to downtown Wichita is massive, and as we've seen in other areas where similar projects have taken place, it's a massive economic benefit and creates a lot of new businesses and jobs in the area, as well as living spaces. I would hope that once this gets finalized and construction begins, or is at least committed, that we'll see more apartment options pop up in the area and that will only help fuel others aspects. I read somewhere that these students generally want to live near the school and hospital(s) as that's where they're going to spend the bulk of their time over a few year period. They need easy access to food and retail in those areas and everything should grow.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Insurance News Net - $40 million project could remove some of west Wichita from FEMA floodplain map [The Wichita Eagle]

Jan. 8—Flood relief could be on its way for west Wichita.

Wichita and Sedgwick County are hoping to tap a federal grant program to help cover a $40 million project aimed at reducing flooding in fast-growing west Wichita and areas outside the city limits.

The city and county would each pitch in $5 million, while the Federal Emergency Management Agency's "Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities," or BRIC, program would cover the rest of the cost.

The project — building two dams on the Calfskin Creek — would move more than 500 acres and 180 structures out of the 100-year FEMA floodplain, city officials say. The city estimates it would clear the way for more than $5 million of future property development.

FEMA rejected the city's application last year, but the federal government has increased funding this year.

Megan Lovely, city spokesperson, said further details on the grant application won't be available until Jan. 27.

Besides mitigating the risk of flood damage, the project is also expected to help keep streets from flooding. It could also save homeowners tens of thousands of dollars in the long run.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• NXTUS is expanding its scope and I'm all for it.

WBJ - NXTUS expands reach in Kansas with newest accelerator program

Wichita-based entrepreneurial organization NXTUS Inc. will encompass startups from further afield in Kansas with its latest program.

The organization has announced that its Customer Traction Cohort will feature 21 young companies and founders from across the state in its first iteration in 2023.

But in addition to the more traditional entrepreneurial haunts of Wichita -and Kansas City-area, the group includes a strong contingent from southwestern Kansas.

It’s a push that Mary Beth Jarvis, executive director of NXTUS, says is an intentional move to help a historically underserved startup population — rural entrepreneurs.

Those founders will join the others selected for a program that aims to help early-stage companies move to revenue generation with scalable product offerings.

“This is the blocking and tackling that creates economic growth,” Jarvis said.
        I love what this has and can do for the metro, but I love seeing them expand into other parts of the state that may have fewer opportunities such as this to perhaps build and help grow other communities outside of the more major metro areas of Wichita and KC. It lays the foundation for an even stronger future Kansas and that will only benefit the metro even more.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More land west of Wichita where developers are seeking zoning changes to develop over 100 acres into multi and single family dwellings and hoping for annexation.

WBJ - Another large multifamily project could be coming to west Wichita's edge

At the latest Metropolitan Area Planning Commission meeting, commissioners voted 11-1 in favor of a request to change the zoning of 133 acres on the northeast corner of Central and 135th Street West from single-family to two-family residential and multi-family residential.

Greg Ferris of Ferris Consulting, speaking on behalf of the current landowners and the contract purchaser, said the project would include approximately 350-400 duplexes and 300-400 other multifamily units.

The property is currently owned by the Albert family, with Donald and Micki Albert and Leslie and Venessa Albert listed in MAPC documents as among the applicants on the request.

On Monday night, the District 3 Citizens Advisory Board voted 5-3 to recommend denial of the zoning change. The matter will still go before the Board of County Commissioners on Feb. 15 for a final decision, and — due to the CAB's vote — it will be heard on the non-consent agenda.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• AOL - NBC World Series finds a home in Wichita for next two summer baseball tournaments

The National Baseball Congress World Series has found a full-time home in Wichita for the next two summers, first-year tournament director Katie Woods announced Tuesday morning.

After playing host to most, but not all tournament games for the past four years, Wichita State and the National Baseball Congress reached a two-year agreement for Eck Stadium to become the full-time host for the 2023 and 2024 editions of the NBC World Series.

“We are thrilled to call Eck Stadium home for the next two years and bring the tournament fully back to Wichita,” Woods said in a press release. “Wichita has been the home of the NBC since 1934 and the Wichita State athletic department has been great partners as we work to make the 89th year a fantastic one for both teams and fans.”

Since the demolition of Lawrence-Dumont Stadium in 2018, Eck Stadium has hosted championship week of the NBC World Series with Hobart-Detter Field in Hutchinson being the host site of the opening days of the tournament.
            Sounds like Woods is out to improve fan experience and get more community involvement
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'll put this here since it's "General News in the 316".

Wichita attorney disappears, clients say he took their money with him (kwch.com)

Where is Devoe Treadwell? That’s the question clients, and those in the courthouse are asking after the well-known Wichita attorney stopped showing up to court or even returning calls. Clients tell FactFinder Investigators that he disappeared, along with the money they paid him.

Comment

• Wichita by EB - Big changes with new Wind Surge ownership begins with lower ticket prices for the 2023 season

In an announcement on Tuesday, the Wind Surge announced adjustments to ticket prices for both membership season seats and individual game tickets for the 2023 season.

In the announcement, the price of the 69-game membership plan has been reduced from $1,250 to the original price of $980, including all fees and taxes. Other membership plans are available, with the lowest plan beginning at $160.

They also released a five seating option prices for the seating bowl. Tickets in the seating bowl will range from $10 to $19. Wait staff services will be offered in the Premium Select Seating located behind Homeplate (Section 9 through Section 13). Berm seating will be reduced from $10 to $8 for adults and youth tickets will be reduced from $8 to $4.

That means a family of four with two adults and two children can now attend a game for as low as $24.
                All taxes and fees are also built in to the cost of tickets if I'm reading things correctly.

I'll give the new ownership some props in trying to rebuild trust with the community and making going to a game a little more family friendly when it comes to your bank account.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I believe this is the land out nearish Colwich, but I'm also not good with the road numbers on the west side of town.

WBJ - With zoning change in the rearview, developer talks NW Wichita project

With that change wrapped, Nett Development closed last week on the property, previously owned by Smarsh Jerome J Rev Trust and located near Ascension Via Christi St. Teresa. Further work and planning can now advance for the development that is expected to bring more duplexes — with the potential of single-family homes and commercial activity, as well — to northwest Wichita.

Nett, who is an owner in the project alongside his father, Gaylan Nett Jr., said steps are now in motion on a path to get infrastructure in place and foundations starting to be poured by 2024's first quarter.
                  Phase 1 is set to have 200 lots and is anticipated to be mostly duplexes. Some single-family residences are a possibility in the initial phase, with market conditions being a key component.

"I think on the second phase we will see a lot more single-family," Nett said.

The total number of two-family residences versus single-family houses are not yet determined.

As for the limited commercial area, Nett said he doesn't have a specific business in mind, but that his team has left a large-enough space for a business the size of a major supermarket to fit on the corner of 151st and 21st.
                  Nett, who has been involved with Emerald Bay Estates among other Wichita projects, said his development will be high-quality and have a homeowners association in place that will help maintain the property's landscaping.

He added there are plans to leave a farmhouse on the property — which is located near the Kansas Department of Transportation's long-discussed Northwest Bypass plans — and turn that area into a community center. There will be amenities including a pool, dog park, playground, walking areas, a series of ponds and pickleball, Nett said.
                  It will be interesting to see how this goes and what it looks like in the end. Wichita is desperate for housing. Affordable is always the term used and I think many associate that with cheap, but I don't think that's actually the case here. I do know that sometimes affordable is used to mean cheap, but I think some of these developers are seeing that there's a market need for quality housing that's not crazy expensive.

I'd spent the bulk of the last two years casually looking for a new home and in the price range that I'm personally comfortable with (I've made my living working with numbers and calculate everything and then use conservative estimates on what I can comfortably afford) and it was hard to find a decent home under 250k. And I was shooting for under a little under 200k. Most of the options were overpriced pieces of crap, decent houses in horrible areas of Wichita, or insane fixer uppers that I don't have the time or skill set to deal with.

There were a few that would pop up from time to time but they were generally off the market in less than 24 hours or so and I wasn't that desperate to buy. I also know my hometown is desperately trying to find a developer who is willing to come out and build affordable (not cheap) housing so the town can grow. They've had a lot of trouble getting anyone to agree to it, and those that have expressed interest raise red flags when they won't even consider agreeing to specific standards. And those standards aren't overly demanding. Mostly a minimum square footage as they were once burned by a developer who had verbally led them to believe a certain development would have a minimum line and then ended up building a few smaller which pissed off those that had invested in the area and built some nice houses.

Maybe I just try to be optimistic about some of these things. I know in my hometown there's an area where some developers have talked about multi-family units and the residents are very opposed. But considering the lack of details the developers will offer I'm not sure I blame them. I do know the city wouldn't object to some duplexes or something in certain areas, just not in the current targeted area.

That and it seems most developers in the area don't want to build homes that aren't at least 500k. I get it, and there is a market for it, but it's not the great need of many in the metro area at this time.

I'm rambling again
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    I'm rambling again
                    Keep “rambling”, we enjoy it…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I get a little worked up when talking about my hometown. They could have houses going up if they were willing to just let anybody come in and not have any expectations, but they want to grow the right way and offer a better community to people. It's frustrating.

But on the plus side, even if my hometown isn't included, there have been a few articles over the past few months about certain developers realizing there's a market for good, affordable housing and are working to provide that over the next few years. I think there was one a couple of weeks ago where I believe the guy said he had land to develop and is working towards that in or near Derby, Valley Center, Newton, Goddard, Maize and maybe one or two more, as well as Wichita.

I know I passed that guy's name to some people at home and they were looking into it. I do know there is one developer out of KC I think that the city has been talking to, but he dances around a few of the details and the city council keeps pushing back on him. I think the plan was to continue talks with him, but they're still open to discussions with others. It's a nice town with a great school district so there's plenty to sell. Also quick and easy access to Wichita.

I'll shut up now. For now.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• In other news, Park City is making another potential move to be more than they have been.

Eagle - $400 million STAR bonds district could be coming to former golf course in Park City

Park City on Tuesday took the first step in the possible creation of a new STAR bonds district at the former Echo Hills Golf Course.

The City Council voted to approve a resolution to hold a Feb. 14 hearing about the sales tax and revenue bonds, which would create a potentially $400 million district that could include an aquarium and other museum and entertainment venues, restaurants, hotels, athletic complexes and residential uses.

“To me, it’s a win for Sedgwick County and south-central Kansas,” said city administrator Sean Fox. “We’re talking millions of folks who will be coming to south-central Kansas on a regular basis.”

Lange Real Estate brought the idea to Park City along with a development group that will be announced after a presentation to the state about the STAR bond package on Wednesday.

“We feel pretty positive that we’re moving in the right direction,” said Stephanie Wiens, a commercial broker with Lange.
                        Lange is also working with Park City on that new downtown development we talked about a bit a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like they expect work to begin on that project, and this one, sometime in 2023.

One thing that is interesting here is the mention of a possible aquarium. Outside of The Cheesecake Factory, an aquarium is probably the most desired addition to Wichita online. With that said, the Sedgwick County Zoo has aspirations and future plans to build an aquarium along with a hotel and water park if memory serves. Maybe it was just a resort hotel with larger water based amenities. It would be interesting to see how this project might change that, or speed up such an addition. The Zoo relies a lot on public funds so that may or may not be an option to expedite such a development over there.

Maybe my hometown needs to be talking to Lange...
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Some additional tidbits on the Park City STAR bond. Apparently this district also includes the downtown development previously talked about.

MSN - Development coming to Park City as STAR bond passes

The stretch of land from 53rd St. to 61st St. in Park City will be designated as a STAR bond district under the new resolution, called Park Centre. The STAR bond program was created by the state of Kansas to stimulate economic development to help drive tourism.

"This new bond district would be a big win-win for Park City and its people," Rachel Lange of Lange Real Estate said in a news release. "Creating new recreational and business opportunities – as well as jobs – for the community while also bringing in outside dollars. It's also a key move in shaping the future growth of Park City, what the community will look like, and what it can become over the next decade."

Developments within the STAR bond district are still in the early stages of development, but Lange Real Estate says it plans to feature eight separate apartment buildings, a townhome complex, and 10 different retail buildings with a combined 96,000 square feet of commercial space for lease.
                          Construction is expected to begin in June.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - 'The Basketball Tournament' and AfterShocks returning to Wichita

This is Wichita’s fourth time as a regional host for TBT. Wichita began hosting in 2019 and holds the top-five attendance marks in TBT history. And the Aftershocks have an 8-1 record at the Roundhouse with back-to-back Wichita Regional titles.

In 2021, more than 6,500 fans showed up to watch the AfterShocks clinch their first quarterfinal appearance, with hometown hero Conner Frankamp providing Elam Ending heroics.

“There’s nothing like watching the AfterShocks compete in Charles Koch Arena,” Jon Mugar, TBT founder and CEO, said. “We’re excited to bring the Elam Ending back to Wichita in 2023, in partnership with Wichita State University and Visit Wichita. Fans have always made it a special and electrifying experience.”

Bush, Simon and Stutz are all expected to return as well.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              In other news, Park City is making another potential move to be more than they have been.

Eagle - $400 million STAR bonds district could be coming to former golf course in Park City

Lange is also working with Park City on that new downtown development we talked about a bit a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like they expect work to begin on that project, and this one, sometime in 2023.

One thing that is interesting here is the mention of a possible aquarium. Outside of The Cheesecake Factory, an aquarium is probably the most desired addition to Wichita online. With that said, the Sedgwick County Zoo has aspirations and future plans to build an aquarium along with a hotel and water park if memory serves. Maybe it was just a resort hotel with larger water based amenities. It would be interesting to see how this project might change that, or speed up such an addition. The Zoo relies a lot on public funds so that may or may not be an option to expedite such a development over there.

Maybe my hometown needs to be talking to Lange...
                              Is Mike Loveland still involved in this project?

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Is Mike Loveland still involved in this project?
                                I would assume not at this point. Probably why it's moving forward now after so many years with nothing happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X