No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They mentioned their previous record being $10M and said it happened about 20 years ago, or more than 20. That probably fits and it makes sense that Leno would be one to do that based on his love of cars.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - Airxcel plans $18M expansion to bring all manufacturing lines back to Wichita

Wichita's City Council on Tuesday will vote whether to approve the use of up to $18 million in industrial revenue bonds (IRBs), along with a 100% property tax exemption, to support the construction of 112,000 square feet of manufacturing and office use at 3050 N. St. Francis, according to an agenda report for Tuesday's meeting.

"This project represents a substantial investment in Airxcel’s economic and human capital and is vital to its continued longevity and success," wrote Sandra Jessop, senior vice president of engineering and operations at Airxcel, in an application for the IRBs.

Airxcel, founded in Wichita by Sheldon Coleman in 1966, most recently sold in 2021 to Thor Industries (NYSE:THO), which is headquartered in Elkhart, Ind., and sells towable and motorized RVs through its subsidiary brands including Airstream, Heartland RV, Jayco and Livin Lite RV.
      Article also states that they estimate this expansion and consolidation to add 30 to 45 full-time jobs per shift.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• More south side news as they're getting in on the insane car wash game going on in Wichita.

WBJ - A national name is adding to an already-growing Wichita car wash market

MAPC documents list Wichita-based Via Fone Inc. as the owner of the property, which is between a MedExpress and a commercial strip development.

Take 5 Car Wash is owned by Charlotte-based Driven Brands Holdings Inc., a company with plans — that include Wichita — for growth nationwide.

A Take 5 is already under construction at the southwest corner of Maize Road and West 29th Street North, and Driven Brands told WBJ on Friday that a third location is planned for 2110 N. Webb Road.

It is also planning to build a car wash in Augusta at 511 W. 7th Ave.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Derby Informer - Orpheum Theatre taking submissions for mural project

Wichita’s Orpheum Theatre is taking submissions now through Aug. 5 for a mural project along First Street (on the south side of the building) in conjunction with its 100th anniversary celebration in September.

The theatre is looking for artwork that celebrates performing arts, film, diversity and culture, keeping in mind the Orpheum centennial and its place in the community.
          An online vote will determine the winner.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            More south side news as they're getting in on the insane car wash game going on in Wichita.

WBJ - A national name is adding to an already-growing Wichita car wash market
            The number of these type of car wash locations is getting nuts. Take 5 has 3 built or planned, Club has 4-5, Tommy's at least 3, Zips 8, Legends 1, and these are just the ones I know about. That's around 20 and growing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

The number of these type of car wash locations is getting nuts. Take 5 has 3 built or planned, Club has 4-5, Tommy's at least 3, Zips 8, Legends 1, and these are just the ones I know about. That's around 20 and growing.
              I always thought they would be a good front for money laundering when cash was the primary choice of payment. Now I’m not so sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I always thought they would be a good front for money laundering when cash was the primary choice of payment. Now I’m not so sure.
                I’m having ‘Breaking Bad’ flashbacks…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I see where a prominent Wichita attorney has lost his license.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    I see where a prominent Wichita attorney has lost his license.
                    He is well known, but Prominent is playing nice. Some would say infamous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

He is well known, but Prominent is playing nice. Some would say infamous.
                      Yeah. The words that immediately came to mind weren’t fit for public consumption.

Comment

I see where a prominent Wichita attorney has lost his license.
                        So the proper authorities took The Bull by the horns?

I’ll see myself out.
                        78-65

Comment

• Does it seem to anyone else that Wichita seems to have a disproportionately high number of these ambulance-chaser type lawyers? I just don’t know. Maybe it’s that way everywhere.

Comment

Does it seem to anyone else that Wichita seems to have a disproportionately high number of these ambulance-chaser type lawyers? I just don’t know. Maybe it’s that way everywhere.
                            Wichitas actually seems to be lower.

Comment

• KSN - Hundreds of future stars in Wichita for USA Boxing National Junior Olympics

Events like this are huge for Wichita, even if they don't directly impact some of us, or even interest us.

“This is massive,” said Josh Howell, vice president of sports development for Visit Wichita. “So tons of people, great economic impact for the city. It’s a major sporting event. Yeah, we’re excited to have it.”

Howell says it has been two years to get it here. And they expect a $2 million impact on the area, with hotels, restaurants, and entertainment venues getting the boost.
                              It's a shame we don't have a better venue to show off, but it's here and so are hundreds of others visiting and spending money here. Bound to see a few future Olympians and maybe a future professional boxing champion is in the mix.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Downtown Wichita business owners revving engines for Automobilia

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – The annual Automobilia Car show is a big event for downtown Wichita. More than 1,000 cars hit the streets this year, and business owners are happy about the revenue this event brings in for them as well.

“We’re slammed all the time, but it’s just a different flow,” Schane Gross, The Anchor owner, said.

The hot rods weren’t the only thing bringing the heat on Saturday with temperatures reaching 92 degrees. Some people were looking for a place to cool down, and that’s good for business, too.
                                Organizers estimate between 10,000 and 50,000 people attend the car show every year. Proceeds from this year will go towards Convoy of Hope of Wichita and Wichita’s Littlest Heroes.
                                Not my kind of scene, but sounds like it's a pretty popular one that brings in some good business and for a good cause. Wish I'd have seen this previously to give anyone here a heads up that might have been interested.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X