No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is actually a State/Local issue (maybe political too), so maybe a thread should be started on it, but I thought it was an interesting issue that will be on the ballot in November if I understand it. Do the people think that the legislature should have more power than the Governor or vise versa is how I read it. Right now, the legislature can make laws that the Governor can veto, and the Governor/State Agencies can make regulations that the legislature can make laws on, but the Governor has veto rights (which of course the legislature can over ride with a very strong 2/3 vote).

Evidently, with if this passes, the legislature can stop Governor/Unelected State Agency officials regulations by a majority vote. What thoughts do you have?

This news article tried to make it seem like the legislature will have too much power, but our news reporters often will support a Democrat Governor over a Republican legislature, so that isn't new.

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...264424101.html

Comment

• Some more future Kellogg work announced

KSN - Major bridge replacement project in the works for Kellogg

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — A bridge that has plagued drivers in west Wichita is scheduled to be replaced starting in 2025. The Kellogg/U.S. 54 bridge over what most people know as the Big Ditch is narrow, with lots of ruts and potholes.

The Kansas Department of Transportation says about 86,900 vehicles travel the bridge each day. Of those, 2,660 are heavy, commercial vehicles.

KDOT will begin a field survey on Monday, Aug. 15, for the proposed bridge replacement over the M.S. “Mitch” Mitchell Floodway, the proper name of the Big Ditch.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• A move downtown could mean new life for an old building.

WBJ - Council looks at incentives for renovation of downtown antique building

The plans would be a significant reuse for the building, which is located 105 S. Emporia and 423 E. Douglas and was built in 1916. Legacy Antique Mall had operated there for 30 years before it closed in 2018.

Vantage Point Properties, a Wichita-based commercial real estate development and management company, purchased the building in January 2020 will plans to redevelop it into a Class A office building with ground-floor retail, but those plans haven't materialized.

It would also be a significant move for Keycentrix, which makes software for the pharmacy industry, and Net-Ability, an IT support company. The two tech companies are currently located in an office building near 21st Street and Woodlawn in northeast Wichita.

On their anticipated project, Keycentrix president Luis Rodriguez said, "We prefer not to comment in order to allow our elected officials and those involved an unpressured and unbiased review of the request."
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - American Cornhole League Pro Shootout Series coming to Wichita

As seen on the Ocho....or CBSSN

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — The American Cornhole League (ACL) Pro Shootout Series is coming to Charles Koch Arena on Saturday, August 20.

Wichita will be the seventh stop on the ACP Pro Shootout tour. ACL pros will be competing for an automatic bid to the Pro Shootout Championship in September, as well as over $20,000 in prize money.

The events at Charles Koch Arena will include pro men’s singles, pro women’s singles, and pro doubles.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - New exhibit shows Wichita's history with electric guitar

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — A new exhibit in the Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum has opened, showcasing the city’s history with the electric guitar.

The exhibit is called “History of the Electric Guitar and Its Early Players.” The city says this is a great tie-in to Wichita, because in 1932, a Wichitan named Gabe Brewer staged the world’s first electric guitar performance.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              Sorry...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• WBJ - Trailer parts distributor will seek property tax exemption for $1.2M expansion

Atlas Trailer Parts, founded in January 2021, distributes various parts for small utility trailers, boat trailers, enclosed trailers, flat bed trailers and more. The company has more than 1,500 parts in stock, as well as 700 axles, and a majority of its sales are to companies or individuals outside of Sedgwick County, according to the agenda report.

The company currently leases a facility at 2440 S. Leonine.

According to its EDX application, Atlas says the new facility will provide additional warehouse capabilities.

Allee Real Estate Holdings LLC has acquired the property at 1100 S. West St., which is a few blocks south of Kellogg. The real estate firm plans to demolish a portion of the site and construct and lease a new 12,000 square-foot warehouse back to Atlas Trailer Parts; both entities are owned by Ronald Allee.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Tickets for Sedgwick County Zoo's largest fundraiser are now on sale

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — Tickets for Zoobilee, the Sedgwick County Zoo’s largest fundraiser, are now on sale.

Zoobilee will run from 6 p.m. until midnight on Saturday, Sept. 10. Attendees will enjoy food and new tastes from local establishments, live music from the Llew Brown Band, and have the opportunity to shop for art and unique gifts in the silent auction.

The zoo says you can enjoy early bird prices if you purchase tickets now. Tickets purchased now through Aug. 31 are $150. Beginning Sept. 1, tickets will be $175. All but $30 of the ticket price is tax deductible. Tickets can be purchased online at SCZ.org, by phone at 316-266-8273, or the Zoo Membership Desk.
                  Always a great event for a great organization.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Leaders meet to discuss mental health hospital in Sedgwick County

On Monday, Gov. Laura Kelly was in Wichita for a roundtable at the COMCARE Crisis Center. During the roundtable, leaders discussed plans to build a 50-bed mental health hospital in the area.

“It is very clear that an inpatient facility is the missing link that has got to be resolved. It is creating huge problems in law enforcement, it is creating huge problems in your acute care facilities, your hospitals, and just an overall problem within the community,” Kelly said.

Gov. Kelly tells KSN News that $15 million has been placed in the budget this fiscal year for the hospital. However, an additional $25 million will come from SPARK (Strengthening People and Revitalizing Kansas) funding. A meeting involving that funding was supposed to happen Monday but was postponed due to a scheduling conflict. The meeting will be rescheduled in the future.

Sedgwick County Commissioner David Dennis said the funding is needed to get the project moving.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - City looks to waive building permit fees to encourage more housing projects

If adopted Tuesday, the program would waive building permit fees for all residential construction within designated "formative" areas of Wichita, particularly in areas north, west and south of the downtown core. Homeowners for DIY projects, as well as builders, contractors and landlords, are eligible to participate, as long as they are current on all real estate taxes and outstanding special assessments.

The waivers could apply to new home construction, renovation or any other work that would require a permit, and home builders and owners must still get required permits and meet all zoning and building codes.

Multifamily projects categorized as a commercial permit, meanwhile, such as duplex neighborhoods or apartment buildings, would qualify for a maximum waiver of $10,000 in building permit fees.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Wichita Transit receives $3.95 million award for electric vans

The funds will be used to purchase 10 Vicinity Motor Corp Optimal S1LF electric vehicles and pay for the installation of five 150kW in-depot charging stations. The all electric low-floor vans will replace the city’s current demand-response vans, often utilized by the disabled.
                        “Transitioning to a zero-emission fleet will provide cleaner air that benefits the Wichita population, and these battery-powered vans combined with two-hour recharging capability really moves the needle in cost-saving to transit,” said Mike Tann, transit director for the Wichita Department of Transportation, in a news release.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• The Arcade is moving later this fall.

AOL - The Arcade in Wichita is about to get a new Old Town address, expand with food and drink

The retro Old Town arcade that Wichita has enjoyed since 2017 is about to make a move — and get a big upgrade in the process.

Derek Sorrells, who co-owns The Arcade at 139 N. Mead with Michael Jensen, says that the business will move this fall to an old warehouse space at 906 E. Third St. The new building, which Sorrells says in its current state is not all that attractive, is being completely redone to accommodate the new business.

When it moves, The Arcade will add food and alcohol, though Sorrells stresses it will still be a family-friendly business.

But as more bars and restaurants around the area add pinball machines and games, Sorrells said, he and Jensen have decided they want their customers to be able to enjoy a drink while they hang out as well. State law would require, though, that the owners add food to their offerings if they plan to serve alcohol, and there’s not space for that at the current address.
                          Alcohol has been the hot topic for The Arcade ever since they opened in 2017. I still haven't been down there, but I've heard nothing but good things from those who have.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A look into the future.

AOL - Music Theatre 2023 season includes 'Cats,' 'Beast,' 'Ragtime' - and dodging 'Hamilton'

Music Theatre Wichita directors are planning a 2023 schedule whose main purpose is to satisfy audiences and build its fan base.

Its secondary purpose? Avoiding “Hamilton.”

The pop culture phenomenon will be taking MTW’s home stage at the Century II concert hall for 16 performances June 6-18. MTW has no shows scheduled during that run and will have its first two entries of the summer outdoors at the Capitol Federal Amphitheatre in Andover, which staged four of the company’s productions in 2021 and one in the current season.

“It is extremely popular, but it’s landing right in the middle of our season,” artistic director Brian J. Marcum said of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s hip-hop take on the Founding Fathers. “We’re happy to work around them.”

Managing director Angela Cassette said MTW has been working with the American Theatre Guild, which produces Broadway in Wichita, for several years to accommodate the run.

“‘Hamilton’ is a very singular title. If they would have come to us about another title, we might not have said yes. We felt like this was something Wichita needed to have locally,” Cassette said. “We’re bending and twisting a lot next season to make everything work.”
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I'm not sure how much impact this proposal would have in the metro area, as the plan seems to deal with more outside of it, but I suppose if it happens that it could still end up being a benefit here as well. I'll have to spend more time thinking about this as a whole as this is the first I've heard of it and I'm still fully processing. I do think it could be a benefit to those it professes to help, but again, it's fresh and needs more analysis. As someone who has traveled both directions along this path more than a few times, it would definitely help traffic flow on some roads that can be decently busy as is.

Joplin Globe - Derek Schmidt proposes construction of four-lane Kansas highway linking Pittsburg to Garden City, Liberal

TOPEKA — Republican governor candidate Derek Schmidt proposed Wednesday construction of four-lane highway connecting southwest and southeast Kansas by way of Wichita to promote the kind of economic return on investment Interstate 70 delivered for decades to the state’s northern tier.

Schmidt, who is challenging Democratic Gov. Laura Kelly in November, said significant portions of the project existed or were planned, budgeted or under construction. The idea would be to connect U.S. 54 at Liberal and U.S. 400 in Dodge City with the four-lane highway extending west to Kingman from Wichita, link to the Kellogg corridor and an extension to Andover, before following U.S. 400 through Parsons to U.S. 69 near Pittsburg.

His campaign statement didn’t include a preliminary cost for the transportation initiative, but Schmidt vowed to make a priority of pulling together each of the components and closing gaps necessary to complete the vision.

It would be modeled after President Dwight Eisenhower’s commitment 70 years ago to creating I-70 as an east-to-west connector in the northern tier of Kansas, he said.

“In my view, the construction of Interstate 70 across northern Kansas continues to provide perhaps the biggest economic return on capital investment of taxpayer dollars in Kansas history,” Schmidt said. “Southern Kansas needs and deserves that same opportunity because in the 21st century, four-lane access is essential for economic growth, particularly in manufacturing and agriculture, which are staples of the region.”

In addition, Schmidt proposed an amendment to the Kansas Constitution that would prohibit lawmakers from diverting state highway money to other government priorities.
                              I would be interested to hear other opinions on this one as I continue to think it all through.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                I'm not sure how much impact this proposal would have in the metro area, as the plan seems to deal with more outside of it, but I suppose if it happens that it could still end up being a benefit here as well. I'll have to spend more time thinking about this as a whole as this is the first I've heard of it and I'm still fully processing. I do think it could be a benefit to those it professes to help, but again, it's fresh and needs more analysis. As someone who has traveled both directions along this path more than a few times, it would definitely help traffic flow on some roads that can be decently busy as is.

Joplin Globe - Derek Schmidt proposes construction of four-lane Kansas highway linking Pittsburg to Garden City, Liberal

I would be interested to hear other opinions on this one as I continue to think it all through.
                                I would be all for it. 400 between Wichita and SE Kansas is a nightmare at times...even with the passing lanes scattered throughout. Connect it with I-44 outside Baxter Springs.

Comment

Working...
                                X