General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

So that's what's being built to the north of the current development. I remember their being a "knock off" Top Golf that was going to be built back by Avia8 somewhere and then remember hearing about TG going in at the Warren area. Hadn't heard about the change, or don't remember, to going back to 96. I even had a couple of people ask me recently what was being built there and had no idea. Though I also hadn't been by that area since beams started going up until a few days ago. It's basically across the street from Stryker if I'm thinking correctly. Orraze that's something completely different.

That's good to know. So much for that bridge between 13th and 96.
    I don't understand the Top Golf craze. To me, its lame. I've been a few times, but just can't get into it. I think its one of those things that people want because other towns have them. They go because its the thing to do, but really there are lots of better ways to spend your money.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Also, if Wichita is serious about a new performing arts center, they should check out what was built in Omaha. The Holland Center was a game changer. It has been compared to some of the great performing arts centers across the country, and if Omaha can do it, so can Wichita. Here is an Atlanta based review I found regarding the Holland Center.
      The Holland Performing Arts Center was opened in 2005.  It is spare in design with little lobby decoration (where are the modern painting?)...
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
        Also, if Wichita is serious about a new performing arts center, they should check out what was built in Omaha. The Holland Center was a game changer. It has been compared to some of the great performing arts centers across the country, and if Omaha can do it, so can Wichita. Here is an Atlanta based review I found regarding the Holland Center.
        http://www.atlantamusiccritic.com/20...enter.html?m=1
        Kudos to Omaha. I’m hoping with Koch’s love of the arts and donations, coupled with the support of Wichita, the city will build a performing arts center that is truly outstanding and a crown jewel that will attract people to visit from throughout the country. Something to last 100 years.

How was yours funded?

Comment

It has been compared to some of the great performing arts centers across the country, and if Omaha can do it, so can Wichita.
          No we can't.

* sigh *

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Kudos to Omaha. I’m hoping with Koch’s love of the arts and donations, coupled with the support of Wichita, the city will build a performing arts center that is truly outstanding and a crown jewel that will attract people to visit from throughout the country. Something to last 100 years.

How was yours funded?
            Funded privately. The Holland's, as well as Walter Scott, Mike Yaney and others. Around the late 90's, philanthropy took over in Omaha. There has always been a core of the mega-rich in Omaha, they have always donated to projects, but it was always a bit uncoordinated and hodge podged. The zoo got money, as well as a few other projects, but there was no real direction. That is what changed. There is a laser focus to the philanthropic efforts and it has been transformational.

Omaha community leader and philanthropist Richard D. Holland died Tuesday at the age of 95 at his home after a short illness, leaving behind a legacy that generations of Omahans will share.

This summer, the downtown greenspace called the Gene Lehey Mall reopens. It is undertaking a several year, $400 million renovation. That project is funded both public and privately, with over $300 million coming from private sources.

I'm not sure when the new science museum opens, but it is a world class project and has been intergrated into the downtown mall andcriverfront renovation.
            https://kiewitluminarium.org/omaha-l...cience-center/

Discovery_Night_Skyline_rendering.jpg This is what the science center will look like when completed. The river is on the foreground, the arena is behind and to the right.

All of this has happened because this core of wealth decided to work together. Omaha is still a basic, midwest boring city, but these enhancements have made the city much more livable. Absent from local philanthropy is Warren Buffett. That said, his daughter, Susan, donates a shitload. She doesn't even live here.
            Last edited by MoValley John; June 6, 2022, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Funded privately. The Holland's, as well as Walter Scott, Mike Yaney and others. Around the late 90's, philanthropy took over in Omaha. There has always been a core of the mega-rich in Omaha, they have always donated to projects, but it was always a bit uncoordinated and hodge podged. The zoo got money, as well as a few other projects, but there was no real direction. That is what changed. There is a laser focus to the philanthropic efforts and it has been transformational.

https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-p...-at-95/7661903

This summer, the downtown greenspace called the Gene Lehey Mall reopens. It is undertaking a several year, $400 million renovation. That project is funded both public and privately, with over $300 million coming from private sources.

I'm not sure when the new science museum opens, but it is a world class project and has been intergrated into the downtown mall andcriverfront renovation.
              https://kiewitluminarium.org/omaha-l...cience-center/

Discovery_Night_Skyline_rendering.jpg This is what the science center will look like when completed. The river is on the foreground, the arena is behind and to the right.

All of this has happened because this core of wealth decided to work together. Omaha is still a basic, midwest boring city, but these enhancements have made the city much more livable. Absent from local philanthropy is Warren Buffett. That said, his daughter, Susan, donates a shitload. She doesn't even live here.
              The basic difference is that Omaha has wealthy philanthropists, Wichita doesn't. There's plenty of wealth here - probably not much different than Omaha on a per capita basis - but the culture of Wichita has never been to give back to make better, at least with any economic scale.

The Wichita Koch's (Charles Koch) sprinkle around pocket money (for them) here and there in town, but nothing especially significant. The New York Koch's (David Koch) did give A LOT to NYC when he was alive, but zippo to his home town.

Outside of Koch, essentially all of the notable Wichita business that were started here (of which there are a remarkable amount for a metro this size) have been bought out by conglomerates, and the cashed-out heirs have disappeared to Nantucket or Malibu or Monaco or wherever. The new conglomerate owners of our various businesses have either hollowed out what was here, or they simply use what is still here as corporate profit centers with the revenues (outside of local wages) going to who knows where.

Comment

I believe I saw reports over the weekend that they estimate more than 50k were in attendance for Willie.

I've also seen complaints about food prices, which based off of personal claims in comments sections do seem more ridiculous than usual. Someone also claimed that the vendors have to give 40% to Riverfest, which if true would explain the crazy prices. Vendors have to make money to operate. But I don't have that claim verified at all.

I am curious if anyone attended the drone shows over the weekend. I like the concept and would like to know more about the execution
                We went to the drone light show Saturday night. It was enjoyable. It lasted 10-ish minutes, which was a little shorter than I expected. The angle wasn't the greatest. The riverbank north of the Exploration Place parking lot is where us paying customer were seated. The show was done over the All-Indian Center, which put it behind the south section of the Keeper of the Plains pedestrian bridge. There was a tree that I'm sure blocked the view of at least a hundred people, so they could have done a little better with roping off areas that had an obstructed view. People who gathered on the north bank had a better view I think and it cost them nothing.

Comment

• WBJ - 3PRG says it has plans for more than just a west-side Walk-On's

"We have development plans to open one more in east Wichita and one in Derby," said Rheem, a former Kansas State football kicker with Wichita roots. "We are also expanding Walk-On’s into the Kansas City and St. Louis markets, as well."
                  I know my circle of friends ha e been waiting for this one, and it appears that it won't be long before we have three options that work for everyone.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

The basic difference is that Omaha has wealthy philanthropists, Wichita doesn't. There's plenty of wealth here - probably not much different than Omaha on a per capita basis - but the culture of Wichita has never been to give back to make better, at least with any economic scale.

The Wichita Koch's (Charles Koch) sprinkle around pocket money (for them) here and there in town, but nothing especially significant. The New York Koch's (David Koch) did give A LOT to NYC when he was alive, but zippo to his home town.

Outside of Koch, essentially all of the notable Wichita business that were started here (of which there are a remarkable amount for a metro this size) have been bought out by conglomerates, and the cashed-out heirs have disappeared to Nantucket or Malibu or Monaco or wherever. The new conglomerate owners of our various businesses have either hollowed out what was here, or they simply use what is still here as corporate profit centers with the revenues (outside of local wages) going to who knows where.
                    It's hard to emphasize how correct you are about this.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• And to be clear, it's not my money, so I have no right to determine how it's spent. But don't expect the place you live to be great when you're only listening to the Carl Peterjohns of the world who are telling you to vote against any and every local initiative that raises taxes a slight bit.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I think if you take a hard look outside of Wichita, as a city, you don't have it all that bad. I haven't been to Wichita in about a decade, but its a nice city. In general, cities in the central Plaines are just that, nice and plain. I'll be in Tulsa this weekend, its plain. Omaha, plain. Des Moines, plain. KC, larger, but the plainest, milktoast NFL city there ever was. Each city has unique attractions and drawbacks, but in the end, most of the time, you can't differentiate Lincoln from Topeka. Push for enhancements, but always be thankful you don't live in Akron.

Comment

WBJ - 3PRG says it has plans for more than just a west-side Walk-On's

I know my circle of friends ha e been waiting for this one, and it appears that it won't be long before we have three options that work for everyone.
                          Love me some Walk On’s. Great to see Drew Brees helping them expand. Now Wichita just needs a Rasing Canes and Rotolos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Love me some Walk On’s. Great to see Drew Brees helping them expand. Now Wichita just needs a Rasing Canes and Rotolos.
                            Raising Canes sucks. My kids eat it, I can't stand it. Overpriced chicken strips with stale garlic bread. If chicken is what you want, Popeye's is what you need.

I have no idea what Rotolo's is.

Comment

Raising Canes sucks. My kids eat it, I can't stand it. Overpriced chicken strips with stale garlic bread. If chicken is what you want, Popeye's is what you need.

I have no idea what Rotolo's is.
                              Then they don’t do it right. Rotolo’s is a pizza restaurant. Fresh dough and ingredients with craft/domestic beer options. Like Pizza Hut when Pizza Hut was good. Go sit down and eat with family and have a beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Then they don’t do it right. Rotolo’s is a pizza restaurant. Fresh dough and ingredients with craft/domestic beer options. Like Pizza Hut when Pizza Hut was good. Go sit down and eat with family and have a beer.
                                I may be a bit biased, as Cane's was hyped, hyped and overhyped before I ever tried it. I had it about five years ago and it could never match the hype. There's a Cane's across from where I work, I never go there. Fresh pizza sounds awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X