No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBJ - ICT Summit: Paneltists say Century II debate cannot hinder riverfront progress

Bryan Frye, Wichita City Council member, said it's essential for the city to get a new convention center in its core to serve as an economic driver and bring new visitors that could be the next wave of talent for Wichita to tap into — noting research that suggests convention business is expected to return by 2024.

“For me, a convention center is like ice cream in your refrigerator — you have to have it. But we’ve been vanilla too long," said Frye, who added that a performing arts center is also a need. "It starts with that convention facility. We’re getting out-lapped by our competitors.”
    The panel included Austin Bradley, EPC Real Estate Group vice president of development, a key figure involved in recent riverfront momentum. EPC has been one of the driving forces of west bank development, with its now-finished 225 Sycamore apartment project and additional plans for east of Riverfront Stadium.

In another example of progress along the river, Exploration Place is pursuing plans for further innovation and growth — including adding a small amphitheater — in its location in the Delano District.

"There's a lot of work to be done, but there's a great foundation," said Bradley of downtown's progress.
    They make a lot of sense. I get that CII is in prime real estate and people either want to save it (and do what?) or tear it down and big something bigger and better or turn it into some sort of usable green space that the area can capitalize on. However, these guys are right in that one building shouldn't hold back or delay development elsewhere in the area. At this point I think it's obvious that even if we keep CII, it no longer really works for either the performing arts or for attracting conventions. And somewhere in this article it talked about how the convention scene is expected to pick up against in 2024, so getting started on something soon would be of value. And I think most of us agree that the performing arts deserve better, and a new and upgraded facility will allow Wichita to bring in bigger and better acts, instead of having to be passed over or getting scaled down versions of things. And with the amount of talent Wichita ends up sending to Broadway, we really should have a top level facility.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - ICT Summit: Opportunity mindset keeps Wichita's small businesses, attractions going

GROW is a prime example of that. Launched out of a retail incubator space at Cleveland Corner, the plant shop is reopening later this month in a bigger and expanded space at Fidelity Bank RISE Car Park that will also have a cocktail lounge, a DIY plant bar, an event space and educational classes and events.

"In today's world, you can’t just do one thing for your business, you will not survive. You have to create an experience," Giesen said.
      Entrepreneurs, though, face a number of barriers to opening their doors. To open Jenny Dawn Cellars — the first urban winery in Kansas — McDonald said she had to work closely with regulators to help them understand the concept, and had to secure seven different licenses in order to produce, sell and serve her wines. McDonald said she's now working with legislators to loosen the red tape and grow the wine industry in Kansas.

"The bright side of this story is I have been able to build bridges and be a subject matter expert to others," McDonald said. "... I’m trying to be part of the solution and to make it better for the next generation."

As these businesses plan for the future, each panelist said they have grand visions and an opportunity mindset. King said that was the case in creating the zoo's next 50-year strategic master plan, which includes ideas for an aquarium and an African safari-themed hotel and waterpark.
      The panelists here have more unique options and it serves them well. And they're not wrong about the importance of quality of life in attracting and retaining talent. That's what annoys me about social media when anything new pops up so many people will **** on it as dumb or they'll never go, when there are plenty of other people who think it's brilliant and will. Not every event or attractions is going to be geared towards you, but on the whole, there is a lot to offer any one person and I'm sure there are ideas out there that can still be added to the mix of the metro area. I'm not really a wine person, but I know many who are and I'll have to check with them if they've been to Jenny Dawn Cellars yet. The future of the zoo sounds amazing and will absolutely add more to the attraction that is and can be Wichita. Chicken N Pickle is a unique venture that is doing very well here. I've previously posted about a number of venues that offer different entertainment from local bands to major stars and everything in between. I'm not sure what the nightlife may or may not be missing, but I do know there are a number of options.

Diversity of life, of entertainment, of foods, of anything, is a huge key to future success of Wichita. That and people realizing that not every new thing will be centered around them. And for west siders to stop bitching about the east side getting new things :). I know, wrong thread.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - ICT Summit: Panel discusses need to strive for excellence in city's vision

White said Wichita has work to do in building a culture of big aspirations that avoids complacency. Those in leadership positions around the community are key, he added.

"We've got to understand who we are and where we are going from high levels, and not just leave it to everyone to step up and say just do what you want to do," he said.

Rodriguez cautioned that one of the traits of the Midwest — "malignant politeness" — can also be a hurdle to making big progress at the pace that is needed.

"There's strength in our niceness, but it's also a weakness if we don't manage it," he said.
        "In my personal opinion, the 'Air Capital of the World' is a reputation and a brand that people would die to have in their cities," she said. "So keep it, hold it close and continue to build it. But let that not be your only brand and reputation and build onto it."

The importance of moving the community forward in order to attract and retain talent wove into multiple points of the conversation, including why it's key to promote Wichita's "wins" and progress.

Jarvis said the middle of the country has a "unique opportunity" right now, because people living on the coasts are taking a fresh look at where they live and work.

"I think the middle of the country —whether it's Tulsa, northwest Arkansas or Des Moines or Omaha and Wichita — has the opportunity to give more people the answer to their 'where.' And I think there is an all-ships-rise possibility, if we're willing to be more of the things that people are making individual choices about," Jarvis said.
        Not sure what more to add to this as I think I've kind of talked about it from a post a few days back. For too long Wichita was content to be the Air Capital, which is fine, and hadn't made an effort to expand beyond just that. I know a couple decades ago there was a car manufacturer that was looking hard at Wichita, and my understanding at the time was Wichita was pretty indifferent. It would have been an opportunity to expand while still utilizing a strength of the Wichita workforce, which was manufacturing. But it doesn't have to be manufacturing or even job related when we talk about these sorts of things. Just grow. Offer more. Derby is doing a lot of that as they're adding all kinds of businesses and attractions that aren't centered on any one thing. They're just doing everything they can to be a more attractive place to live and visit and I love them for that and want to see the same out of Wichita, Goddard, Andover and others.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KWCH - Public invited to race Wichita police, other law enforcement agencies

The “Beat the Heat” event was so successful last year, that the police department is bringing it back, in partnership with Mel Hambleton Ford.

“Everyone that wants to race or wanted to race their buddies, this is a safe place to do it. And you’ll get to see exactly how fast your car is it will tell you the mile an hour and time and everything,” said Nick Roberts with Mel Hambelton Ford Racing.

Last year, 5,000 people were in attendance. This year, the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office will join in on the fun.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• "Beat the Heat" is an awesome idea.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• C2 and the land it sits on is a classic, textbook case of the real estate concept of highest and best use. I get that people are attached to it, but it does exactly nothing well. It is legitimately terrible at every use that is was originally designed for, and those still in use today.

If we build a new convention center - which we need badly - that current utility of C2 will be replaced. If we build a new performing arts facility - which we need badly - that current utility of C2 will be replaced. The shortcomings of C2 are what would be called economically and functionally incurable. Then the question is, what do you do with a massive building, occupying some of the best land in Wichita, that has no use? There's only one answer, and I understand it is an uncomfortable one for some folks.

Comment

• This is cool!
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  WBJ - ICT Summit: Opportunity mindset keeps Wichita's small businesses, attractions going

The panelists here have more unique options and it serves them well. And they're not wrong about the importance of quality of life in attracting and retaining talent. That's what annoys me about social media when anything new pops up so many people will **** on it as dumb or they'll never go, when there are plenty of other people who think it's brilliant and will. Not every event or attractions is going to be geared towards you, but on the whole, there is a lot to offer any one person and I'm sure there are ideas out there that can still be added to the mix of the metro area. I'm not really a wine person, but I know many who are and I'll have to check with them if they've been to Jenny Dawn Cellars yet. The future of the zoo sounds amazing and will absolutely add more to the attraction that is and can be Wichita. Chicken N Pickle is a unique venture that is doing very well here. I've previously posted about a number of venues that offer different entertainment from local bands to major stars and everything in between. I'm not sure what the nightlife may or may not be missing, but I do know there are a number of options.

Diversity of life, of entertainment, of foods, of anything, is a huge key to future success of Wichita. That and people realizing that not every new thing will be centered around them. And for west siders to stop bitching about the east side getting new things :). I know, wrong thread.
                  This might not be an example of what you are talking about, but Top Golf is a business that is considered an "economic business driver" in parts of the country, and they are coming to East Wichita in the next couple of years. Businesses schmooze their clients or future clients, while playing golf games, and drinking adult beverages. The golf might not be good, but relationship building for businesses is top notch, from what I've heard in other cities.

Comment

• Things like Top Golf and Dave & Busters absolutely count towards all of it. I know we have a few places that offer escape rooms as well, which seem to be popular. Another outside of the box business I remember hearing was opening soon, or may already be open, is a rage room. I've heard that they can be quite therapeutic. I want to say the one in ICT is open, but I'll have to look it up later to find out name and location. The Arcade downtown is another one. At one point, someone was talking about opening a competing arcade business downtown, but it would serve alcohol as I don't think The Arcade does. I know it didn't when it opened.

Most of these aren't used for business meetings, but they're other non-traditional options open to people.

And if I remember correctly, the Top Golf is being planned for around 13th and Greenwich. If that is the case, I'm sure that's going to help stimulate more activity out there and might help bridge the gap for commercial/residential development between the 13th and 96 developments.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      C2 and the land it sits on is a classic, textbook case of the real estate concept of highest and best use. I get that people are attached to it, but it does exactly nothing well. It is legitimately terrible at every use that is was originally designed for, and those still in use today.

If we build a new convention center - which we need badly - that current utility of C2 will be replaced. If we build a new performing arts facility - which we need badly - that current utility of C2 will be replaced. The shortcomings of C2 are what would be called economically and functionally incurable. Then the question is, what do you do with a massive building, occupying some of the best land in Wichita, that has no use? There's only one answer, and I understand it is an uncomfortable one for some folks.
                      THIS.

From what I have gathered from friends who are at some community organizations, Wichita is losing money hand over fist when it comes to conventions and attractions compared to places like OKC, KC, and Omaha.

Adapt or die.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Things like Top Golf and Dave & Busters absolutely count towards all of it. I know we have a few places that offer escape rooms as well, which seem to be popular. Another outside of the box business I remember hearing was opening soon, or may already be open, is a rage room. I've heard that they can be quite therapeutic. I want to say the one in ICT is open, but I'll have to look it up later to find out name and location. The Arcade downtown is another one. At one point, someone was talking about opening a competing arcade business downtown, but it would serve alcohol as I don't think The Arcade does. I know it didn't when it opened.

Most of these aren't used for business meetings, but they're other non-traditional options open to people.

And if I remember correctly, the Top Golf is being planned for around 13th and Greenwich. If that is the case, I'm sure that's going to help stimulate more activity out there and might help bridge the gap for commercial/residential development between the 13th and 96 developments.
                        That was an earlier planned spot for TG, when Laham was involved. It was going to be a single-story TG concept, and was going to compete with the TG wanna-be that was announced years ago (with no activity since) for Greenwich north of K96.

The current TG - which is actively being built at the moment - is a "meeting of the minds" of sorts wherein the TG folks, and the wanna-be TG folks from the other stalled project, came together in a sort of partnership in the originally-planned wanna-be TG location at the SE hard corner of Greenwich and 29th.

The TG we are getting is still a bit of a "junior" TG (#BecauseWichita), but it is still at least two stories tall and follows generally in their typical mid-market model. It is just narrower so it has less total suites.

Hope that makes sense. It is not easy to do the play by play on.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

That was an earlier planned spot for TG, when Laham was involved. It was going to be a single-story TG concept, and was going to compete with the TG wanna-be that was announced years ago (with no activity since) for Greenwich north of K96.

The current TG - which is actively being built at the moment - is a "meeting of the minds" of sorts wherein the TG folks, and the wanna-be TG folks from the other stalled project, came together in a sort of partnership in the originally-planned wanna-be TG location at the SE hard corner of Greenwich and 29th.

The TG we are getting is still a bit of a "junior" TG, but it is still at least two stories tall and follows generally in their typical mid-market model. It is just narrower so it has less total suites.

Hope that makes sense. It is not easy to do the play by play on.
                          So that's what's being built to the north of the current development. I remember their being a "knock off" Top Golf that was going to be built back by Avia8 somewhere and then remember hearing about TG going in at the Warren area. Hadn't heard about the change, or don't remember, to going back to 96. I even had a couple of people ask me recently what was being built there and had no idea. Though I also hadn't been by that area since beams started going up until a few days ago. It's basically across the street from Stryker if I'm thinking correctly. Or that's something completely different.

That's good to know. So much for that bridge between 13th and 96.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I believe I saw reports over the weekend that they estimate more than 50k were in attendance for Willie.

I've also seen complaints about food prices, which based off of personal claims in comments sections do seem more ridiculous than usual. Someone also claimed that the vendors have to give 40% to Riverfest, which if true would explain the crazy prices. Vendors have to make money to operate. But I don't have that claim verified at all.

I am curious if anyone attended the drone shows over the weekend. I like the concept and would like to know more about the execution
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KSN - Special Olympics Summer Games kick off in Wichita

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Hundreds of Special Olympic athletes are competing in the Summer Games at Maize South High School.

With it, brings hundreds of volunteers. Bailey Owings describes volunteering as second nature. She began helping out when she was just a young girl and her dad would take their family to the swimming events at Wichita State University.

Since then, Owings has helped with odd jobs over the years. On Friday, she was at opening day and worked the soccer games.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - POET Biofuels requesting $17 million in IRBs for Wichita expansion

The Wichita City Council will vote on whether to approve the letter during its Tuesday meeting.

POET, which is headquartered in South Dakota, employs 168 people in Wichita and projects it will add 20 employees over the next five years at annual wage levels higher than $70,000 per year.

“This project will give POET the space to continue to grow and open new positions on our team," said CFO Bob Whiteman in a statement to the Wichita Business Journal.
                                I once interviewed at POET. Didn't get very far, which disappointed a few people there. They do have some good paying jobs and I have a friend who has pretty much doubled what she started at within 5 years or so.

Article also mentions that previously, POET has committed to adding 85 jobs through previous IRBs but has instead added 150.

It's a solid company and you like to see growth here in ICT.

Regardless of political thoughts, there is a place for biofuels if gov't gets out of the way. But POET is a leader and growing their footprint here isn't a bad thing.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X