General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBJ - Eisenhower Airport ridership jumped 32% in April

Signs that Covid fears and restrictions fading away is good for business.

The increase was aided by a greater use of larger aircraft in Wichita by airlines, with the airport noting a 196% jump in the usage of narrow-body jets.

That resulted in 16.4% more seats on 3.8% more flights in April.

Passenger count through the first four months of the year was up 47% to 410,578.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• WBJ - Local esports company getting fiber internet boost from IdeaTek

IdeaTek is based out of Buhler.

Unified said it will benefit office-based staff who operate esports tournaments and will allow the company to "keep more of their online events and broadcast production services in-house."

Through products, software and services, Unified helps facilitate competitions across collegiate and amateur virtual gaming leagues.

“IdeaTek's internet has helped make optimal broadcasting achievable in the office,” said Grant Beard, Unified’s technical director, in a news release. “Every show we have run thus far has experienced perfect connection throughout. I love it.”

Nathan Oswald, IdeaTek's director of sales and customer service, said working with Unified fit the company's mission to helping growing businesses.

“We understand the importance of fast, reliable internet connectivity for our business partners in today's competitive economy," Oswald said. "This is especially true for Unified Esports Association, whose competitors can't afford latency issues or downtime. We're honored to work alongside Unified to bring them a future-proof solution, which will help them continue to expand their competitive gaming footprint across the nation."
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Where things stand in Andover a month after destructive EF-3 tornado

But that total may only scratch the surface of what it will actually cost to rebuild, said Jennifer McCausland, Andover's city administrator.

"That's where that supply chain and cost escalations are really going to be interesting, because $37 million was based on the valuation according to the tax value, but certainly the replacement value of those homes may be much more," McCausland said.

Supply chain constraints combined with rising inflation costs are expected to disrupt the rebuilding process in Andover.
        Article also states that the YMCA still has no timeline. Last I heard, which was a week or so ago I think, they were still waiting on some insurance numbers from the damage. I also know an officer who has been hired by the Y, along with many others, to watch over the facility to keep looters away. I think there's been some theft, but this officer believes that those thefts are coming during the day and possibly by those who were cleaning up and checking out the site. There's no power and unsafe throughout most of the building and it gets pitch black and pretty creepy, like something out of a horror movie, at night.

Back to the article. Andover is preparing for their next 10-year plan. It mentioned the total destruction of a facility near the Amphitheater that will be rebuilt bigger and better and a second facility that was already being planned. Talked about the growth of Andover over the last decade and their eyes on the future. BCC is opening their culinary school over near the Dillon's on 54. There's a four story senior living facility going in over in that same area. And the 100-acre Heritage project that I believe is a new housing addition, but not just a housing addition if memory serves me well. I remember reading something about it a year or two ago and it seems like they were implementing some sort of extra beautification project within it but I don't remember details. I may have to look that up.

Personally, I'd still like to see Andover develop the NW corner of 21st and Andover. It's sat empty, obviously, forever while housing has continued to increase all around. I would think that would be another good place to perhaps develop more business. Perhaps a shopping center of kind with retail and food possibilities. As it is, almost everything is located south of Central and mostly towards 54. I would think having a little more on the north end of town wouldn't be a bad thing, and as a current resident of Benton, it would save me some driving if I had a few options on that end.

I also still hope they eventually shoot to attract other jobs as well, outside of retail and dining. Andover is a nice community that I truly believe could be even better if they had a more Derby like vision for themselves.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I've seen/read things in the past about this. It's located next door to Headshots at Brittany Center. They do short-term pop up style offerings and the current one runs through June and July.

EB - What to expect at Apparition Blackbeard

The latest themed pop-up has opened and it’s a nod to one of the most popular pirates to ever roam the seas, Blackbeard. Introducing Apparition Blackbeard, located at 2120 N Woodlawn Blvd next to Headshots Bar & Grill. Apparition has played host to many themed pop-ups over the years. And like past ones, they went all out.

Apparition Blackbeard takes place every Wednesday through Saturday in June and July, starting at 6 p.m. No tickets are required for entry.
          Follow the link and you'll see some of the decor, menu and some a bit of review from our friend Eddy who does a great job promoting and reviewing in and around ICT.
          Last edited by RoyalShock; June 9, 2022, 01:57 PM.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• What the heck is it with the lethargic growth of Wichita.
            2,000 additional jobs in Joco and 500 in Wichita.

Is it our commissioner-manager style of government used in Wichita or what?!?

Tulsa changed in 1989 to a Mayor-Council style as does Omaha I believe. Wichita’s style is glacier slow and certainly not progressive.

Any government experts out there to provide some detail on which is a better form of local government?

Wichita needs a shakeup!

Comment

• KAKE - Giant poles in northeast Wichita turn heads as Topgolf construction continues

"This has been years in the making. Lots of bureaucratic hoops to jump through, but now we are seeing it actually unfold, and I think it's something worth being excited about," said Whipple.

Another obstacle was the concerns about the giant nets being so close to Jabara Airport. But after approval from the FAA in November, it was all clear for construction.

Whipple says getting a Topgolf means much more than just something fun to do.

"We've been in conversations with business folks who want to locate to Wichita who actually asked us, do you have a Topgolf? So, we do know that when it comes to attracting new investment into our community, Topgolf is on people's lists," said Whipple.
              That last bit is interesting. Will Topgolf help us attract more businesses? It obviously can't hurt, but if it was specifically singled out in multiple conversations it's interesting.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                KAKE - Giant poles in northeast Wichita turn heads as Topgolf construction continues

That last bit is interesting. Will Topgolf help us attract more businesses? It obviously can't hurt, but if it was specifically singled out in multiple conversations it's interesting.
                My guess is its an ammenity, a nice add in to the entire package but far from a deal maker or breaker. I know people that do some business at Top Golf. Its hardly the only place they take clients. Some companies have office parties there.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

My guess is its an ammenity, a nice add in to the entire package but far from a deal maker or breaker. I know people that do some business at Top Golf. Its hardly the only place they take clients. Some companies have office parties there.
                  Anything that helps.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - $10.9M renovation will establish the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Wesley hospital

The $10.9 million project, funded by HCA Healthcare, will renovate Wesley's eighth floor, 33-bed cancer unit with updated patient rooms, strategically placed nursing stations and a new family room that includes a coffee bar, TV and other amenities.

The renovation is expected to finish in 12 to 14 months.

The cancer institute is named after the television and radio personality Sarah Cannon, known for her character, Minnie Pearl, who appeared at the Grand Ole Opry from 1969 to 1991. After she received breast cancer treatment at the founding center in Nashville in 1993, Cannon offered the use of her name to promote cancer research and patient education, including the importance of early detection, clinical trials and a team approach to cancer care.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - Catholic Care Center's $13M expansion will add behavioral health hospital for seniors

"We're seeing that there is a gap in the availability in our market, and so we're looking to fill that gap not only for our residents, but for others in the community," said Jennifer Sanders, who is director of marketing and a clinical liaison at the Catholic Care Center.

The Catholic Care Center, a not-for-profit senior living community that's owned by the Catholic Diocese of Wichita, offers the full continuum of care at its Bel Aire campus, located at 45th Street and Woodlawn. Its existing services include independent and assisted living, long-term care and short-term skilled nursing, as well as serving as the only facility in Kansas that's recognized by the National Alzheimer's Foundation of America for memory care.

For that reason, it was a natural progression to extend behavioral health treatment to an acute-care setting, said Cindy LaFleur, executive director and CEO of the Catholic Care Center.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• That could service half of this board.

Comment

• WBJ - Special report: Wichita's 'Instagrammable' businesses embrace social media-friendly designs

When it comes to designing their spaces, the modern-day business owner is increasingly operating with social media in mind. Creating social media-friendly spaces encourages customers and clients to post a selfie or snap a photo of an interesting design element, Giesen said.

"That's directly free advertising for me," she said. "So every time we're tagged in something, people see that cool space, they're going to click on our Instagram, they're going to follow us immediately, and then they're probably going to come in."
                          "Our vision for that was to have people escape the city without leaving the city," Marshall said. "So when you're in Snowbound, you feel like you're up in the mountains, at a place that isn't there, in a time that's not now, it's very whimsical, it takes you back," Marshall said.

And this summer, Chicken N Pickle's outdoor bar area will turn into a tiki shack, with tiki-inspired decor and about a dozen rotating tropical cocktails.
                          It makes sense. Not everybody is into splashing things all over social media, but many of those people are still going to enjoy fun environments. And those that do splash these all over socials are broadcasting the business for free to who knows how many. It's smart for businesses to create that kind of environment and if done right, can lead to much higher levels of success.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            WBJ - Special report: Wichita's 'Instagrammable' businesses embrace social media-friendly designs

It makes sense. Not everybody is into splashing things all over social media, but many of those people are still going to enjoy fun environments. And those that do splash these all over socials are broadcasting the business for free to who knows how many. It's smart for businesses to create that kind of environment and if done right, can lead to much higher levels of success.
                            Tiki Shack?

Anyone old enough to remember Trader Vics?

Comment

• WBJ - City Council will look to eliminate extra 1% sales tax at K-96, Greenwich early

Wichita's City Council will decide Tuesday whether to terminate the CID early — eliminating the 1% sales tax effective Oct. 1.

The CID up for consideration was established in 2013 in partnership with K-96 Destination Development Inc., developers of Greenwich Place shopping and dining district, and was set to expire in 2036. One of two CIDs in the area, the district encompasses the Sports Forum, Dave & Buster's, Duluth Trading Co., Academy Sports and other businesses.
                              Ending the CID early is possible because of strong retail sales growth, said Kathy Sexton, interim assistant city manager.

Visitors to the Sports Forum, Sexton noted, often stick around the area for hours.

"I think it just shows that that this has been a successful way of having people who use this highway interchange... that people who are coming into town and using that are helping pay the expenses of it," Sexton said.
                              I'd say that this would be considered a success; ending the CID 14 years before it was set to expire. I'm guessing that time frame was very conservative considering what wasn't there at the time it was issued. But still, exceeding the amount to pay off the bonds relatively quickly isn't a bad thing at all. I'm assuming any excess monies would be kept for any additional improvements or repairs in that area, but don't know for sure.

I may be a libertarian, but I do think some local taxes, especially like this, that are known and are for a specific purpose are tolerable. And it's based on spending and not income which is a big deal to me personally as you have the choice to spend money and pay it as opposed to it just being taken. And with a project like this, it is something we can all see and has added a great deal of value to not only that area, but much of Wichita and the metro area as a whole. What businesses came into that area, or Wichita in general, because of the work being done there and the upgrades and the value they saw in it? Do we get Topgolf if this hadn't been started nearly a decade ago?

I know some ***** about the CID around Riverfront, not so much here, but online a lot. That comes down to the we need to see things now attitude of many Wichitan's who simply can't wait to see things develop and if it doesn't happen right away it's a bust. Covid slowed down/halted the projects that were planned for there, but as we've seen in some past posts over the past month or so, those projects are now beginning or in the early development stages since things have returned to normal and they can see the value in completion. I'm excited to see how the Riverfront plan takes shape over the next five years, maybe less. Once the west bank gets going, I think we could have another nice area and the CID there will help pay for the improvements and rerouting of traffic and it's not going to be just on those that live in that area. This is another reason I'd like to see the Wind Surge bring in more events when they're not using it as some of those events are going to attract a different set of people who are spending time and money down there and not just the baseball fans and those who were already patrons of certain establishments in the area.

To sum up, I'm okay with short-term, small and non-invasive taxes for specific things. My hometown has had I believe a half cent tax that gets voted on every few years to help with specific purposes. That's a little different than the CID in that it does have to be voted on by the people every few years, but same general concept.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• KWCH - Vacant Park City hotel getting revamped into new school

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - A hotel along I-135 in Park City will now serve a new purpose. The Life Prep Academy announced they are building a second location.

The hotel closed during the pandemic. However, in December 2021, Wichita’s life prep academy and word of life church purchased the vacant hotel. What once was a closed Best Western in North Park City will now be the private school’s second location for grades pre-school through 12 grade.
                                Rotola said, “when covid happened, many parents re-thought where their kids were going to school. A few hundred kids were added to our building. We could not fit the capacity anymore at our current location, so we purchased this hotel and are renovating and adding a gym and a sports complex.”

They have already started knocking down walls and tearing out what the hotel left behind. With a new location for more students at the school, Rotola says he’s excited to be able to give the opportunity to attend a prep school at an affordable price to more of Wichita’s youth.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X