No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They started expansion of Kellogg in the late 80s, early 90s maybe. I remember as a young kid the part downtown with the million stop lights before the elevated portion was built.

Anyway, in 30ish years, they rebuilt 14 miles of highway (Maize to 127th street east). As a comparison, they just finished a major rebuilding/expansion of 12.5 miles of C-470 (the beltway here) last year. The project started in 2016. Edit: also, it was supposed to be done in 2019 and got delayed.

The pace of construction in Wichita is laughable. I've heard the north interchange (I-235/I-135/K-96/K-254) could take 5 or more years. A similar project was done here (I-25/US-6) in one. What the actual F?
    Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; April 13, 2022, 10:51 AM.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Cool photo…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Metro communities receive $15.5M in State grants for economic development.

This includes funding for the west bank of the Riverfront project, a project for business development in NE Andover, electrical upgrades for Augusta to help with the needs of an expanding business as well as domestic growth and a water project for El Dorado as they try to attract business to a 1600 acre I dustrial park.

Knowledge as a Service has partnered with Wichita State and Shocker Career Accelerator to help with tech talent in Wichita

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          Cool photo…

He stumbled across this pic in his dreams. How embarrassing we have to circulate heavily edited photos of our town.

Here's an actual photo:

Remember when they were supposed to build two epic centers where the points would meet? Just like the WaTeRwAlK bungle... epic fail.

WaterWalk btw is REALLY going downhill now. All those poor condo owners are now neighbors with... renters.

Yes, they are subdividing empty condos and whoring the place out. The beautiful garden/ponds are in disrepair and there's dog **** everywhere (renter behavior). All this coming within a year of Jack DeBoer's death.

This ****ing backwards town... *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            Metro communities receive $15.5M in State grants for economic development.

This includes funding for the west bank of the Riverfront project, a project for business development in NE Andover, electrical upgrades for Augusta to help with the needs of an expanding business as well as domestic growth and a water project for El Dorado as they try to attract business to a 1600 acre I dustrial park.

Knowledge as a Service has partnered with Wichita State and Shocker Career Accelerator to help with tech talent in Wichita

That oughta buy some new manhole covers.

Comment

$5.5M in capital investments for two expansion projects in Newton

Bunting Magnetics and Hawaii based Albermarle will be expanding their Newton footprints and adding jobs. The Bunting project will be about 2.8M and add a handful of jobs while Albermarle will be around 2.75M and bring in around 65 new jobs. That project is to be connected to Ben Franklin Crafts and will include a national distribution center.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Also just saw that Wichita will be hosting an NHL preseason game between the St. Louis Blues and the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday, September 24th at IBA.

It appears there's a decent hockey fan base in Wichita as the Thunder seem to draw pretty well compared to the rest of the ECHL and I'm sure there are those like myself who enjoy hockey but don't attend a lot of games who will find this one hard to pass up.

Also sounds like there will be some required upgrades made to host which will benefit the Thunder going forward.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Thought I'd post a site I use every so often to figure out new construction going up around the city. Hopefully the link works okay. What it does is allow you to look up an address and see which permits have been applied for with regards to the construction and most permits will tell you the company involved or what is being built. Comes in pretty handy if you're driving down something like Ridge road or Rock and see something new going up and wonder what they're building. One thing to watch out for though is the sort by location isn't all that great. For example, if you search on Ridge road and sort by location, anything starting with a 1 is grouped together, and then everything that starts with a 2, etc. So you might be looking for something on 3000 Ridge and it's grouped in with those in the 300 Ridge area:

https://mabcdportal.sedgwickcounty.o...m7R8TJcZok++c=
                  Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; April 18, 2022, 12:32 PM.
                  Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Also just saw that Wichita will be hosting an NHL preseason game between the St. Louis Blues and the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday, September 24th at IBA.

It appears there's a decent hockey fan base in Wichita as the Thunder seem to draw pretty well compared to the rest of the ECHL and I'm sure there are those like myself who enjoy hockey but don't attend a lot of games who will find this one hard to pass up.

Also sounds like there will be some required upgrades made to host which will benefit the Thunder going forward.
                    Would go to Thunder games A LOT more if it were owned by someone else. Not giving a dime of my money if I can prevent it to that inbred pond scum family.

Comment

Willie Nelson to headline the musical lineup for this years Riverfest - https://www.kake.com/story/46331771/...hita-riverfest

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                        Willie Nelson to headline the musical lineup for this years Riverfest - https://www.kake.com/story/46331771/...hita-riverfest

That seems like a pretty amazing score.

Comment

You don't have to like Willie to know Willie. It's a big get
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

$5.5M in capital investments for two expansion projects in Newton

Bunting Magnetics and Hawaii based Albermarle will be expanding their Newton footprints and adding jobs. The Bunting project will be about 2.8M and add a handful of jobs while Albermarle will be around 2.75M and bring in around 65 new jobs. That project is to be connected to Ben Franklin Crafts and will include a national distribution center.
                            We owe so much to President Franklin.

Comment

WBJ - WSU-tied entity announces first freighter customer

The Kansas Modification Center is partnered with NIAR and converts old passenger Jets into cargo planes. Backbone Freighter Leasing has ordered three Boeing 777 from them and expected deliveries are in 2024. There are options for seven more making it potentially worth $300M.

Production of replacement parts will be done by Dynamic NC in Rose Hill.

Then there's this interesting and growing business I was unfamiliar with.

WBJ - Amber Waves making leap to a new aquatic center

Apparently Amber Waves Diving Co. started in Augusta a number of years ago and is building a new 11k square foot facility to continue their swimming, CPR and scuba diving business. It'll be located east of the QT at 21st and 127th in east Wichita.

You can get scuba certified and apparently they organize scuba trips you can join. They've long partnered with the YMCA and Wichita Swim Club for pool usage and training. The construction project is around $3.5M.

And then a fun fact, The Ambassador has for the ninth consecutive year been named a AAA Four Diamond Hotel which I guess is a pretty big deal. It's the only one in Wichita and one of two in Kansas. The other Four Diamond rated hotel is the Inn at Meadowbrook in Prairie Village.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

The Lion King is in town at Century II through May 8 - https://lionking.com/tour/wichita-ks/

Looks like the Outback Steakhouse on Rock Road has closed - https://www.wichitabyeb.com/2022/04/...as-closed.html

Comment

Working...
                                X