Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
    Haven't been posting daily because I feel badly for MVJ who can't bike outdoors because of snow. Did the indoor trainer for a winter and the noise was terrible, the rides were boring and predictable (oh, look, a sofa and loveseat in the room. Wait, someone might cross the room in front of me, oh, no, they've turned around and are completely turned off by the noise.)

Have gotten a number of rides in this week. Last 3 rides were 11, 14, and 26.1 miles (today). At 255 miles for the month. Which is 255 miles more than December of 2019. Today was nice and sunny. Weataher was OK. Maybe mid-upper 50s. Wife got me a set of bicycling compression leg warmers that I can wear with shorts. Legs have never felt better on a ride. Beats the living daylight out of my regular riding pants and at a fraction of the weight. And if the weather gets too warm, they pull right off and can stow in my back pocket. Seriously. Had one pull at almost 28-30 mph where I didn't even feel the burn in my legs. Usually I can feel the legs start to burn after a quarter mile or so. Will have a better idea of how well the work long term over the next 2 weeks.

Today's ride sponsored by Cycology. That's a joke, but I really have LOVED their gear.

This is the view I see (from handlebars on a hard pull (below).

Finally, a decent photo of the hill from redbud trail to 13th street. This is about a 1/2 mile climb, with half of it between 4-8 percent, and today was into a 17 mph wind. There was a family of four and two of them were walking up the hill today. I told them to try zig-zagging up the hill.

Getting dark and much cooler on the way home.

Hope everyone is well and enjoyed their Holidays.
    Your photos really look great! They even made me feel a little nostalgic. Unfortunately, recently, due to work, I do not have time for cycling. In addition, a lot of snow fell in our city yesterday. So while I do not have the opportunity for cycling I decided to try yoga. I've been dreaming about this for a long time, but various circumstances prevented me from starting it. For those who have also been thinking about trying yoga for a long time, I advise you to read inshape.blog. I am sure you will be inspired and find the energy for something new.
    Last edited by arghus; January 2, 2021, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• Still using the trainer, enjoy it. As for the girl on the photo, is that your wife? Unfortunately, the tube in her back pocket tees up a bunch of double entendres that I will attempt to refrain from using.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• It may be tough sledding in Omaha this week. Still ice on the trail and this coming tomorrow.
        Screenshot_20201227-165903_WeatherBug.jpg
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Its not so much the heavy snow and treacherous ice that will keep me from outdoor riding, its the 30 mph gusts. That, and I might try to slip my tube in my wife's back pocket.

Crap, the first double entendre slipped. Sorry.

Comment

• Got a pair of spiked pedals for Christmas. I’ve never been a “clips” kind of guy, but got a lot of good feedback from the guy at the LBS who told me had been riding with clips for 20 years and found these to perform at 95% of clips. I’m excited to put them on and find out for myself!
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• JV, from the looks of the intertube in the middle pocket, I would have suggested a blowout bag for your significant other.

Comment

• Update: It was nice in H-town this weekend and I rode right at 70 miles on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I'm at 293 for the month. Tuesday will be the last nice day of the year, the temps on NYE will start in the 30's and end up around 49 and there will be a strong wind out of the north. I might try to go ride, or if I can get 12-15 miles Tuesday evening, I may call it a month and take a little time off.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  Still using the trainer, enjoy it. As for the girl on the photo, is that your wife? Unfortunately, the tube in her back pocket tees up a bunch of double entendres that I will attempt to refrain from using.
                  That is the current wife. (its day to day sometimes)

If "she" calls, however....I am going OUT to dinner. (let's see those jokes fly NOW!)

As far as humor is concerned...fire away. This place NEEDS it sometimes.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                    Its not so much the heavy snow and treacherous ice that will keep me from outdoor riding, its the 30 mph gusts. That, and I might try to slip my tube in my wife's back pocket.

Crap, the first double entendre slipped. Sorry.
                    The "current" wife of almost 30 years busted out laughing when I read the first one to her. (that all you got?)

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                      Got a pair of spiked pedals for Christmas. I’ve never been a “clips” kind of guy, but got a lot of good feedback from the guy at the LBS who told me had been riding with clips for 20 years and found these to perform at 95% of clips. I’m excited to put them on and find out for myself!
                      No clips for me. I've been toe strapping for over 30 years and not about to change. They keep me comfortably connected to the bike and I feel like its super quick and easy to get back in after a stop (of which there can be many). And if you have a super quick stop in clips and you don't get out in time...

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
                        JV, from the looks of the intertube in the middle pocket, I would have suggested a blowout bag for your significant other.
                        We both ride "tubes." I can patch a tire with a flat in 5-10 minutes. I once encountered a nail on a ride which was nothing I could fix. Since that day, we have carried replacement tubes in our pockets and I can repair any punctured tube when I get back.

Comment

• Yeah JV, your gif is exactly how I see myself with clips. They have the toe boxes on the spin bikes at the gym and definitely use them there, but they are far from easy in, easy out. We'll see how the spikes go, but anything will be better than the “legal to sell the bike” cheapie pedals that I have now.

Comment

Yeah JV, your gif is exactly how I see myself with clips. They have the toe boxes on the spin bikes at the gym and definitely use them there, but they are far from easy in, easy out. We'll see how the spikes go, but anything will be better than the “legal to sell the bike” cheapie pedals that I have now.
                            I have the same stock pedals that came with my Trek. Nothing to complain about.

Comment

• I can't imagine not being locked in. I fell three times learning, now its just natural. I use spa's and mtn bike shoes rather than road shoes, much better for walking.

Comment

Yeah JV, your gif is exactly how I see myself with clips. They have the toe boxes on the spin bikes at the gym and definitely use them there, but they are far from easy in, easy out. We'll see how the spikes go, but anything will be better than the “legal to sell the bike” cheapie pedals that I have now.
                                OK, so here's the truth.....you WILL fall a couple of times trying to get used to them. I've never seen anyone who did not fall. Best thing is to practice clicking in and out of the bindings, riding very slow, practice stopping and starting. Also make sure that you adjust them if they are 'sticky '. Also, I always lube my pedal bindings whenever I service my bike (usually once a week). If the bindings are not metal on metal, you can click out of them a lot easier.

Having said you will fall at least a few times, I will also say that it will make your cycling so much more enjoyable and is the best add if you want to go faster and further on a bicycle, the amount of torque you can apply on the upswing is way higher than with toe clips. With clip-in shoes and pedals, you get torque throughout the revolution, best trick (once you get used to them) is to pull your feet up really hard as you are reaching the top of the crank. This gives you a whole bunch of acceleration that you would not otherwise have. My favorite trick is to do this standing up, but that will take a little time (and is somewhat related to shifting to a gear with more resistance) while you are out of the saddle.

I think you will like them. My preference is MTB clips, but I got serious about riding on a mountain bike and that LBS specializes in mountain bike parts and accessories. Plus, MTB shoes usually have recessed cleats and road shoes usually do not.

Comment

Working...
                                X