No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19.63 miles today. Super chilly day here. 38 degrees when we left the house. Might have been a degree cooler out east on the redbud path. At some point wife says "its definitely more work when its cold." Well, yeah, 5-10 pounds of extra clothing you don't normally wear when you're bicycling, and its like, cold out. Love the new jacket. Wife's looks OK too. ;-) Super aero fits. Pretty windproof. Something must be working right, because when I got home I was sweaty (mostly on sleeves and chest) but I would have never known it while we were out.

Like many on here who are getting trainers, used to have one, and it was great for like a mnth. Then it got super boring. So I sold it a few years ago. I just love getting outdoors. Really hoping for some snowfall in the next couple of days as I'd like to hit the gravel trail when it has some snow on it. Hope all are well.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
      19.63 miles today. Super chilly day here. 38 degrees when we left the house. Might have been a degree cooler out east on the redbud path. At some point wife says "its definitely more work when its cold." Well, yeah, 5-10 pounds of extra clothing you don't normally wear when you're bicycling, and its like, cold out. Love the new jacket. Wife's looks OK too. ;-) Super aero fits. Pretty windproof. Something must be working right, because when I got home I was sweaty (mostly on sleeves and chest) but I would have never known it while we were out.

Like many on here who are getting trainers, used to have one, and it was great for like a mnth. Then it got super boring. So I sold it a few years ago. I just love getting outdoors. Really hoping for some snowfall in the next couple of days as I'd like to hit the gravel trail when it has some snow on it. Hope all are well.

Cool jacket, I wouldn't be out there at 36. It was (I think) in the 60's (probably no more than 65) here. Needed a wind jacket. Rode almost 29 miles.

I will need cold weather clothes next week. Rain Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, temps in the mid 60's dropping into the 40's at night.

Comment

• Hunkering down for armageddon. Did all cardio today. Rode the stationary bike at the gym for a half hour, did 20 minutes hiit on the treadmill then 45 minutes on the elliptical. I forgot how much I hate the treadmill and love the elliptical.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

You laugh at this guy but he's worth his weight in gold on the farm. The steer will fall over dead from exhaustion before this bloke. I get hungry for roasted corn just listening to him.
          Actually, I love Frankie! I wouldn't post him if I didn't. Charging up my 4g and 5 g right now, ordering my Chinese food as well.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Reading the stories of the regular posters in this thread inspired me to ride over to Menards and then to SCP today. My first time riding any distance in ages. It was very cold and I regretted not taking a pair of gloves. The ride was more of a mission to locate a place to fly fish before the start of trout season next weekend. I found a little spot where I'm guessing they may stock the trout so it was a success.
            Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              Hunkering down for armageddon. Did all cardio today. Rode the stationary bike at the gym for a half hour, did 20 minutes hiit on the treadmill then 45 minutes on the elliptical. I forgot how much I hate the treadmill and love the elliptical.
              I'm sorry to hear about your snow, but I'm glad we are getting some relief from the heat down here. 84 today and 80 before the front comes through tomorrow and the bottom falls out.

I also miss the eliptical (I didn't think I was having a good workout unless I left at least two puddles of sweat on the floor). I also miss the pelotons we have at the gym. I'm not sure I'd pay for the service (and the bike), but it was nice when it was free.

As you already pointed out, it's always nice to have options. BTW, when you get the rollers, set them up close to a TV so you can watch sports (or whatever you like) so it won't be so boring. We have TVs on our elipticals at the health club and I used to watch the weather channel, it made it easier to block out the pain and increase the intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
                Reading the stories of the regular posters in this thread inspired me to ride over to Menards and then to SCP today. My first time riding any distance in ages. It was very cold and I regretted not taking a pair of gloves. The ride was more of a mission to locate a place to fly fish before the start of trout season next weekend. I found a little spot where I'm guessing they may stock the trout so it was a success.
                Welcome to the thread! If you ride much more in the next few months, you will need some winter clothes, but best of luck on your trout fishing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
                  Reading the stories of the regular posters in this thread inspired me to ride over to Menards and then to SCP today. My first time riding any distance in ages. It was very cold and I regretted not taking a pair of gloves. The ride was more of a mission to locate a place to fly fish before the start of trout season next weekend. I found a little spot where I'm guessing they may stock the trout so it was a success.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Actually, I love Frankie! I wouldn't post him if I didn't. Charging up my 4g and 5 g right now, ordering my Chinese food as well.
                    He's a handful! I'd love to do an EEG scan on his brain while he gives his weather report. I bet that thing lights up like a Christmas tree!!!

Comment

• 25 more today. 97 for the week. 385 for the month with one week to go!

Comment

• 36 degrees here today. Just short of 13 miles on a cold windy day along Armour bike path. Intermittent spitting on us while we were out. Hopefully we'll get a bit of snow and I can try bicycling in the snow tomorrow. If I do, you can bet I'll take a few dozen pictures. Hope everyone is well.

Added: Sitting at 352 miles for the month, which is now almost 3x what I rode October 2019. Good start to the bicycling year for me.

Dillons looked super busy in anticipation of winter weather.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

He's a handful! I'd love to do an EEG scan on his brain while he gives his weather report. I bet that thing lights up like a Christmas tree!!!
                          Frankie may have been a bit off. Its snowing now, but only about a half an inch so far.

Comment

• I'll pass on Frankie.

If I want accurate weather, I'll go to honest-to-goodness sources like these:

or even better....

Comment

• Inch and a half or so of snow, not all that much, but cooooolllllllldddd. Called the LBS, got an appt to take my bike in for a general tune up and adjustments. I leave for my annual duck hunt on Friday, bike will be done next Wednesday. I'm ordering cold weather gear. Should all be here in a week.

Comment

• Down here in The Woodlands TX right now. It’s a nice place, but I don’t know where a person is supposed to ride a bike around here. I have yet to see a bike path and the few riders I see are on the shoulder of the highway. I’ll pass on that.

BTW, JV, did you slip up and post a picture of yourself? Credit to you for riding when it’s 36 degrees. I’ll never do it, but good for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X