No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ended November on a downer, no bicycling last day. 268 Miles for the month. Tops the 90 miles I got in November 2019, so 2020 at least has THAT going for it.

Just got back from a chilly ride along the river down to near Spirit in Derby. 51 degrees and an annoying south/east wind at 10mph. Still made the 9 mile trip down there in 36 minutes. 18 miles for the first day of December and I'll put that in the bank. You know how many outdoor miles I logged December 2019? It was zero. So I've already crushed Dec. 2019.

Congrats on the mileage shocka. They do make fleece lined skull caps to wear under helmets for winter riding. I've got one that matches my jacket and jersey.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
      Ended November on a downer, no bicycling last day. 268 Miles for the month. Tops the 90 miles I got in November 2019, so 2020 at least has THAT going for it.

Just got back from a chilly ride along the river down to near Spirit in Derby. 51 degrees and an annoying south/east wind at 10mph. Still made the 9 mile trip down there in 36 minutes. 18 miles for the first day of December and I'll put that in the bank. You know how many outdoor miles I logged December 2019? It was zero. So I've already crushed Dec. 2019.

Congrats on the mileage shocka. They do make fleece lined skull caps to wear under helmets for winter riding. I've got one that matches my jacket and jersey.

9 miles in 36 minutes....and into a wind. Pretty good.

Me likey the skull cap, too.....also need some thermal socks. My feet got a little cold last night.

I was going to go out tonight, but had to make a quick change yesterday when it became obvious yesterday would be the better of the two days. No wind, low 50's (I started at 6:30 p.m.) humidity was up (probably like what you were describing on your 12/1 ride). I got 22 miles in. Pace was a little slow, it took me an hour and a half.

Today we have a front coming through about noon. High will be a little warmer, but we will have a north wind and I'm expecting upper 40's (but no humidity). IF I think I can go, I will go. I'm not expecting it will be warm enough.

If I work on this one problem at a time, I can drive the temp down a few more degrees. If I can get comfy riding in mid-40's, I will be able to ride a lot more days (and times) in the winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

9 miles in 36 minutes....and into a wind. Pretty good.

Me likey the skull cap, too.....also need some thermal socks. My feet got a little cold last night.

I was going to go out tonight, but had to make a quick change yesterday when it became obvious yesterday would be the better of the two days. No wind, low 50's (I started at 6:30 p.m.) humidity was up (probably like what you were describing on your 12/1 ride). I got 22 miles in. Pace was a little slow, it took me an hour and a half.

Today we have a front coming through about noon. High will be a little warmer, but we will have a north wind and I'm expecting upper 40's (but no humidity). IF I think I can go, I will go. I'm not expecting it will be warm enough.

If I work on this one problem at a time, I can drive the temp down a few more degrees. If I can get comfy riding in mid-40's, I will be able to ride a lot more days (and times) in the winter.
        It was only about 10mph, just annoying is all. On the mtn bike, that isn't happening. I rode that thing exclusively for a month-month and a half. Its almost 20 pounds heavier than my road bike. Now I feel like I've got wings again.

My kids did the same thing with swimming....when in training, there were periods where instead of their speedos they would wear drag suits or swim in additional clothing so when meet time approached they would taper a bit, get into a razor suit and instant new best times.

Comment

• Busy day at work, and at one point was joking with the wife about the sunshine (it snowed overnight). And she said, surprisingly, the sun was shining. So I had only about half my gear, no bicycling jacket and no thermal socks, but I still got in 11.8 miles in 45 minutes on a chilly 35 degree day along the river. Didn't know my toes were cold until I sat down to take my shoes/socks off. Didn't know they close the "Keeper Bridge" when it snows, either. Don't know if I've ever been bicycling when there were patches of snow around, probably as a boy. We had biked on colder days last winter (January), but it wasn't too bad. Stuff a couple pieces of newspaper under your shirt or jacket and you'll stay quite warm...almost sweaty. 29 miles now for the month outdoor miles. Keep safe everyone.

Comment

• Good job JV! You won’t find me out there on a 35 degree day, but good for you!

I noticed the concrete posts are installed on Redbud now, so will be checking that out soon. One of my biking buddies is finally over the COVID so I’ll have someone to ride with next week, and the forecast is looking good. Yeah! I have to admit going solo in the winter kills my motivation. In the mean time, back to spinning tomorrow.

Comment

• 53 degrees and sunny. A slight chill but nothing too bad. Seemed like the breez was blowing out of the north as I headed towards the spillway and the zoo, but by the time I got back to 13th it was coming out of the south. Totally not fair.

Got in another 15 miles today bringing my December outdoor total to 44 in 3 days, a huge improvement over last December when it was 0 for 31 days. Hope everyone stays well!

Comment

• I got the indoor/outdoor doubleheader header in today. Spinning in the morning and a little over 20 miles outside after lunch. Redbud now has all the barriers taken down. Lots of people on the path and several cyclists as well despite the cool 47 degree temps.

Comment

• 16 miles with the wife on a chillier than Friday bike ride - wind didn't help either. Don't know how to work a ride in today between the game, errands, and dinner with family. Shocker basketball (kind of) has a sacred place in the house. 60 December miles to date.

Comment

• Beautiful day here. About 60 degrees, bit chilly in spots along the river, but only the slightest westerly breeze (felt like anyway). By the time I hit the bike path downtown I decided legs felt good and only slight crosswind breeze, good opportunity to ride south to Spirit on the bike path. Was super excited at first because when I hit the stopping point down south I looked down at the computer and it read 28:25 and at first was super hyped - 9 miles in 28:25. Then checked the trip odometer and it read 8.15 miles. Well poopy pants. Thought it was the exact same route, and I had taken 8-1/2 minutes off my 9 mile time, but it was almost a mile short. Still felt like a good ride. Only thing missing was my bottle. Had no water to drink the way down or the trip back. Oddly enough, the trip back was just over 9 miles (didn't ride back exactly the same way). 78 miles for the month (hoping to hit 300). Hope all are well.

Comment

• 77 miles last week. Super busy at work, getting ready to go log in and work. Weather has moderated down here, we may get close to 80 the next few days.

I ordered two base layers, three pairs of thermal socks and a baclava from REI. They had a pretty good deal, if you paid them $20 for a lifetime membership, they would give you a $20 gift card.

I think I'm going to buy some gloves, but I may buy another cycling jacket and use the gift card for some of the cost.

I'm thinking I can get around 80 in this week, but if I don't get caught up, probably not.

Comment

• Work really ramping up for us right now. So I got a late start, but still went bicycling this afternoon. Got in just under 20 miles. Wife was a little pissed, I didn't realize it but when I left I said "I won't be gone long." She said that's code for "I'll probably be out longer than anyone expects."

Sitting happy at 98 outdoor miles for the month.

MD - I found a BMX racing park down south (near Spirit). You know anything about it? It appears closed. (permanently? Temporarily? Looks like fun if I had the mtn bike.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                          Work really ramping up for us right now. So I got a late start, but still went bicycling this afternoon. Got in just under 20 miles. Wife was a little pissed, I didn't realize it but when I left I said "I won't be gone long." She said that's code for "I'll probably be out longer than anyone expects."

Sitting happy at 98 outdoor miles for the month.

MD - I found a BMX racing park down south (near Spirit). You know anything about it? It appears closed. (permanently? Temporarily? Looks like fun if I had the mtn bike.
                          I have the same issue. My manager is going on PTO for the rest of the year soon, so I have to make sure I have my Business as Usual (BAU) deliverables done by early next week.

I rode 22 miles last night.

Comment

• I got my balaclava last night, along with the base layers and wool socks. Wool socks are a little thin, I will wear them with thinner crew socks. Balaclava is warm, but it makes breathing a little difficult. It will be pretty chilly on Sunday (low around 40, high around 58 and possibly rain). I intend to go out early Sunday and I will see how well this stuff works.

I'll let everyone know.

Comment

• With the cycling jacket I got and two ribbed/waffled/thermal base layer shirts, I've been perfectly comfortable at 35 degrees so far this season. I've only been wearing one layer of thermal socks on the really cold rides, but I'm honestly not out longer than an hour/hour and a half on those days. Had to look up "balaclava". Looks like that would work. I wanted something similar, a neck gaiter, but didn't want to spend the $$. Easier to take an old stocking cap, cut a hole in the top, and it makes a perfect neck gaiter that can be pulled up over the chin and nose if I want. If it ever got so bad I could wear over-the-lenses ski goggles to keep the wind out. Don't know if I'm ready to hit the paths on a 15-20 degree-windy day though. Supposed to be upper 60s here today, so I might be in shorts and a jersey (fingers crossed today).

Comment

• JV, I’m aware of the BMX park down by Spirit, and actually ride by it when doing a Derby ride, but have never checked it out. Without a mountain bike it’s just not a place I’ve ever felt a need to visit.

Going to get in a good outdoor ride today in a couple of hours. Weather should be perfect. Enjoy your rides today guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X