No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaka, did you do the MS 150 in Houston? I believe my son and daughter-in-law rode that a couple of years ago. That’s the race you ride 75 miles one day, then turn around and ride another 75 the next, correct? I know they were on the Exxon team and that they made it, but seems like there were some weather issues, possibly some flooding on the route if I recall.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
      Shaka, did you do the MS 150 in Houston? I believe my son and daughter-in-law rode that a couple of years ago. That’s the race you ride 75 miles one day, then turn around and ride another 75 the next, correct? I know they were on the Exxon team and that they made it, but seems like there were some weather issues, possibly some flooding on the route if I recall.
      I haven't done it recently (the last time was in my early-to-mid 50's), but yes. I helped get the team started at American General. I've done it probably at least 5, maybe 6 times.

I stayed on as captain until after we got a couple of years as part of the AIG family, then I bequeathed it to someone else, because I felt that someone should bring a new perspective to the ride, perhaps some different ways of doing things in order to make the experience better.

And for the record, the first day used to be 100 miles. We used to leave from right around Dairy Ashford and I-10 (Stratford High School) and we would ride to the fairground in LaGrange.(Fayette County).

And I am aware of the flooding that has occurred on previous rides, when I was doing the rides every year we must have had some great luck, because we did not have those problems. But heavy rain is a constant concern in the area around Houston.

The last time I participated, I came away thinking that the event had started to become a victim of its own success....as in no riding on the Bastrop-Buescher park road, they had a hellacious hill in the middle of the park, really more like a mountain. The elevation change through the 13 mile route is 823 feet. Even people in relatively good shape ended up walking bikes up the hill, it comes to a sharp crest, and once you start down (and you could not see down until you had topped the hill a little), there might have been someone in the middle of the road still pushing their bike (so there were a lot of accidents). That's only through the park and not (what used to be) the additional 67 miles.

Comment

• Got in 12 miles today on a cold 38 degree and windy day along the river. The reflecting pools along Exploration Place were actually thin sheets of ice this afternoon. First time my feet/toes specifically have been cold all season - so I cut the ride short a bit. Because of work and weather (rain) and Shocker basketball Saturday, I haven't been out since Thursday last week - but mostly because of work. We would have ridden Sunday, but had to come in and get some things done. Sitting at 143 miles for the month. Still sort of on target for 300, but weather could certainly be a factor in preventing it from happening. Hope all are well.

Comment

• We have snow and ice on trails since Friday night. This thread needs to retire until spring, its not fair.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
            We have snow and ice on trails since Friday night. This thread needs to retire until spring, its not fair.
            When the snow/ice are gona, you dwear different clothing and go for it. No, it won't be shorts and jersey. It could look something like this:

or this....

or this if you don't wait for the snow to stop...

Comment

• Finally able to get back outside on the bike. Snow was still a problem today as there were some icy patches I dared not bike through. Don't know what the temp was while I was out, but someone told me it was almost 55 degrees so I put on a few bits of gear and headed out...into weather that was NOT 55. And the wind was blowing about 10-12 out of the south, and my hands were cold, and feet got cold, and legs felt awful. So I got in 13 miles in an hour and 5 minutes just trying to maintain 14-15mph along the route - the avg dropped off because of turn arounds due to snow or ice and all the stop lights downtown.

So we were discussing passing other cyclists and I think I said I always pass other cyclists? Well...what if I just don't feel like it? Like today. Just trying to endure the 44 degree weather and wind in no-so-good gear thanks to someone who told me it was almost 55 when I hear "on your left" and dude rides by me on a blue fixed gear bike. I was in no mood to pass, and really just wanted to get back to the office, so I just followed him thinking I'll get back quicker this way and won't have to think about it. He's in full winter gear on his fixed gear bike and holding 17-18 mph. So I at least got a little workout in, right? No. Not yet. He takes one hand off the handlebar and places it behind his back to signal to any other riders there was an obstacle in the road ahead - snowy patch and a guy walking around it. He didn't even know I was right on his rear wheel - he looked surprised. So after he slowed and proceeded through the snow I followed and quickly noticed he flipping took off after that slowdown. So we're holding 20-21 mph now down the bike path and all I can think of is getting back to the office and getting warm. On a fixed gear bike. In full winter gear. Dude was SOLID, and I would like to see what his cadence/pace are on a nice day when I didn't feel like complete crap. If this was anyone on S/N I would like to say THANK YOU for helping me get back to the office, you probably saved me 5-10 minutes of torture.

Trip meter shows 156 now for the month and I really just wasn't even in the mood today.

Comment

• Went down the “Sycamore Street Path” today... in my car. I was in Delano meeting some of my buddies for lunch and decided on the way back to drive by the new baseball stadium and I notice I’m on the Sycamore path, as I had never heard of the Sycamore path before. The city basically puts up signs that say bicycles are welcome to hog the entire street if they want to. Just for grins I decided to follow the signs to see where it went. Let’s just say I wouldn’t recommend taking your Nike on this unless you’re planning to terminate your ride on Orient Blvd.

Comment

• Chilly day along the river. Only ran across the smallest amounts of snow/ice today. Sunny along the river, but pretty light winds, so it wasn't too bad. Temps were mid 40s. Ice was finally gone on the river and reflecting pools. Fair number oe people walking, running, jogging, exploring out and about as well. Got in 14 miles with the wife today. 170 miles for the month. Hopeful for better weather (ie warmer) and more miles tomorrow. Hope all are well.

Comment

• Pretty nice day here (again). Mid 50s. Sunny. Light light winds. Actually had on just a litte too much gear, as I was pretty sweaty when we got back. Another 14 milles today with the wife. 184 outdoors for this month. Lots of people out today along the river. Even saw a few cyclists in shorts and jerseys. You can see how many cars were parked just at the north end of the bike path (spillway). Forcast calls for two more beautiful days. Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Comment

• 19.56 miles along the river today. Much nicer day than yesterday. Temps hovering near 60. High clouds kept most of the sun off the area, which kind of sucked, but it wasn't too bad. Good enough for shorts and a jersey (with underarmour layer under the jersey). Hopeful for more good weather tomorrow. 203 miles for the month.

Now back to work and hopefully won't have to stay too late.

Comment

• You are one dedicated cyclist, JV. Good for you!

Comment

• Thought I would provide an update, going out to ride in the neighborhood today (in Houston).

I'm glad I found a route in the neighborhood.

I believe I previously posted a couple of pictures from George Bush Park and talked about the great hike and bike trails over there (if you go end-to-end you can get over 40 miles in). Well, it seems like the walkers and the bikers are having a very serious tiff and the walkers are winning.

You know those walkers.....the ones that walk 5 abreast so they clog the entire trail and are very free to share their opinions with you if you ask them to stay in their lane or, god forbid, if you pass them going about 20 on your bike and scare them.

Well, they've been kvetching about the bikers on the trail for some time. First step was the posting of a 10 mph speed limit when 'people were around', but now a new wrinkle has been added.....radar. My g/f's neighbor got caught by the radar and he was given a warning ticket. I think they are probably using guns from their little 4 wheeled vehicles they use to cruise the trail, or perhaps they have fixed, mounted units, but the speed limit is now 10 mph ACROSS THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE TRAIL, including areas like Addicks Dam, George Bush park (where you see few, if any walkers) and I would assume at some point they will be giving 'for real' tickets.

Comment

• So as of today, I have 248 miles for the month, I'm riding today and Sunday and should get a night ride in on Tuesday that (I hope) gets me to 300 for the month. Yesterday was a great day to ride, I was wondering why I was stuck around 13-14 mph on the course I've mapped out and now I've figure it out. It's the traffic. There was no traffic yesterday and I was averaging just short of 16 for my ride. Of course, it's easy to ride that fast as flat as the area is.

JV, please keep the pictures coming. You definitely have a talent with your photography.

Everyone stay safe!

Comment

• More snow this week.
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Haven't been posting daily because I feel badly for MVJ who can't bike outdoors because of snow. Did the indoor trainer for a winter and the noise was terrible, the rides were boring and predictable (oh, look, a sofa and loveseat in the room. Wait, someone might cross the room in front of me, oh, no, they've turned around and are completely turned off by the noise.)

Have gotten a number of rides in this week. Last 3 rides were 11, 14, and 26.1 miles (today). At 255 miles for the month. Which is 255 miles more than December of 2019. Today was nice and sunny. Weataher was OK. Maybe mid-upper 50s. Wife got me a set of bicycling compression leg warmers that I can wear with shorts. Legs have never felt better on a ride. Beats the living daylight out of my regular riding pants and at a fraction of the weight. And if the weather gets too warm, they pull right off and can stow in my back pocket. Seriously. Had one pull at almost 28-30 mph where I didn't even feel the burn in my legs. Usually I can feel the legs start to burn after a quarter mile or so. Will have a better idea of how well the work long term over the next 2 weeks.

Today's ride sponsored by Cycology. That's a joke, but I really have LOVED their gear.

This is the view I see (from handlebars on a hard pull (below).

Finally, a decent photo of the hill from redbud trail to 13th street. This is about a 1/2 mile climb, with half of it between 4-8 percent, and today was into a 17 mph wind. There was a family of four and two of them were walking up the hill today. I told them to try zig-zagging up the hill.

Getting dark and much cooler on the way home.

Hope everyone is well and enjoyed their Holidays.

Comment

Working...
                                X