Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
    That’s impressive JV! The calculator I saw says you would have the performance of a class 4 racer. That’s pretty elite.
    That was for one workout. You ever have good days and bad days while exercising? Most athletes do. I strongly doubt the effort could have been repeated the next day. I trained my daughter as a distance swimmer for years. Why is it that some days she could swim 500 yards in 5:50, and other days she could swim it in 5:20? Is it the taper? Was it her monthly feminine hormonal spikes and dips (my apologies everyone)? Was it mood? Her breakfast? Lunch-dinner? The music selection in the car on the way to the meet? Good days and not so good days....I raced with another cyclist down Douglas years ago for 3-4 miles averaging probably 25-30 miles and hour on an undulating streets. Max speed between the two of us was close to 35 mph as we neared the end of the 4 miles. I attempted to repeat the effort many times but could never even come close. Why? Adrenalin? Drafting? Temperature? Wind? 2 guys taking turns doing pulls on bikes?

Comment

• Rode about 25 miles yesterday. Pace was a little slow. Knees feel better, but the last week or so, my shoulders, wrists and arms are adjusting during my rides, which is driving me buggy. Probably age-related. I'm not ruling out overuse, either, as I got 380 miles in last month.

Ended up with about 66 miles for the week and 145 or so for the month. Hopefully, I can put up similar numbers next week and then go for about a 90 mile week during Thanksgiving and hit 300 for the month.

Still, even if I continue to slack a little, I should hit 32-3300 miles for the year. It sure is nice to get all the support from my fellow riders on this thread. And I'm not so sure about next year. When I did my benefit enrollment, I made sure I had my short-term and long-term disability lined up so if some of this is related to my knees, I will be well-positioned for the surgery. I just need to make it through the winter.

Comment

• Great job Shaka! I hope you can keep it up as long as you want to.... at least another 20 years or so!

And yeah, JV, I understand the one good day thing. I had one good round of golf this year and the rest of the time I was terrible! The sad thing about getting in your 60’s is that you watch your capabilities diminish and know your never going to be like you once were. Unfortunately I can’t come to grips with that yet.

Spin class this morning was kind of interesting. A new instructor had us doing push ups on the bike while doing a mountain climb... that was new and different. And no, no one broke into my locker this morning :)

Well it’s currently sunny, 60, and 10 mph winds. I’m going for a ride!

Comment

• Well I got in 23 this afternoon with a ride to Towanda, then a loop north of K254. The wind was blowing a little harder out of the north than I thought it was. I was hoping to get to Potwin, but I got too late a start, and that would have added 12 miles which would have put it a little to close to dark for my comfort.

A couple of takeaways from the ride... riding on a sunny day this time of year on dirt roads can be a real leap of faith. The tree lines and sun create patterns on the road such that you can’t see much of anything on the road in front of you. Just pedal and hold on! Luckily no potholes, big rocks, or branches encountered today.

Then sometimes you encounter something you never expect to see. I came over this hill on a gravel road and encountered this. This is where Tawakoni Rd crosses the Whitewater River. It hasn’t rained for months yet water was 3 inches deep across the roadway. Going back wasn’t an option so across we went. It made a nice little waterfall. Not sure how that road is passable in the spring when it actually does rain.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Completely SWAMPED at work, but I went for a bike ride anyway. Got in 16 miles. At 201 for the month. Beautiful warm sunny day here. Up to the spillway north on the bike path. Almost went to the zoo, but would have added 1/2 hour to my ride back to work, and I still had work to do. So busy I'm home eating dinner now but am going back to work here in a bit. Hope everyone is well.

Last edited by JVShocker; November 16, 2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• 16055742439214166322017024082566.jpg
              Was going to get rollers, but got a screaming deal on this Saris trainer. Fluid 2. Messed around with it today, I love it! Need to raise the front wheel, though. Getting an identical one for my wife. Now I have to install the tv and two fans for virtual rides. I'll have the whole thing set up this weekend. Zwift rides ahead!!! Wednesday is supposed to be nice with a slight breeze, I'll ride for real then. Weather has absolutely sucked the last three weeks.

On an aside, my gym now gives members MyZone monitors. I will use it at the gym, but can also use it on the trainer at home, it calculates watts.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• As for posting, I'm not going to post much. With the coaching crap you guys are enduring, the last thing you need to see is posts from some Omaha chuclehead. I hope your nightmare ends soon.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• MVJ - please keep posting. While you and MD get to ride indoors this winter, I'm relegated to outdoor riding. I enjoy hearing about your (and MD's) rides/distances and it encourages me to bicycle - even if the weather is not so cooperative/enjoyable. Hopefully you and MD will continue to share some rides with us. That Saris trainer....looks almost identical to the trainer I had. Some of those trainers really burn through tires.

16 miles today, Wind was gusting out of the south at about 14-20 mph. Temps were fine for jersey and shorts. 32 for the week and 217 for the month of November (so far). Really enjoying this day-break-from-work riding. Now more than 100 miles (17th of November) over what I got in November 2019. Now back to work and try and get out of here by 6pm. Stay well everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                    As for posting, I'm not going to post much. With the coaching crap you guys are enduring, the last thing you need to see is posts from some Omaha chuclehead. I hope your nightmare ends soon.
                    It wasn't so bad. Doc was very frustrated, I get that, he's probably one of Marshall's biggest fans.

Some of the others you would not recognize, they are fairly new, lots of new people. Subgod22 showed back up.

Some of the "others" were amusing, comparing the scholly basketball experience with their experiences in the marine corps with DI's. Some of it involved physical violence (punching and kicking). I'm not a Marine, never was a Marine, but I do work with a lot of military people and I can tell you that if the behaviors described were unearthed by the commanding officers, that particular DI would have gotten bounced from the corps quicker than you can blink your eyes. I would venture to guess that all the top officers in each branch of the military frown upon hazing and abuse, both verbal and physical.

This is a very unfortunate experience for the fan base, as you have pointed out. I'm very disappointed that we could not have worked something out with Marshall. We will never know, but I suspect it might have had something to do with the University asking him to attend anger management counseling and him refusing. We all know he has a stubborn streak (he never liked to call a time out) and perhaps this is further manifestation. He was a great coach for us, elevated the program and molded a lot of fine young men. We will be really lucky if we get another coach as good as he was.

I any event, I am glad you are back, and I look forward hearing from you if nothing else, then on this thread (at least for now).

Please give us updates on your new fluid trainer. I am really keen on hearing your experiences, I have wanted to buy me one. I'm going to retire somewhere down the line (3-4 years at the most) so I won't have the really nice gym that we have at work anymore. I will need to buy some exercise equipment, and a fluid trainer is at the top of my list.

Comment

• I rode about 40 miles (actually 38.5) on back-back nights. Knees feeling better, not as much popping and cracking in shoulders, hands, wrists during my ride, so my problem was probably overuse.

Speed is coming back up, I just need to be patient and not do too much for now. Just try to get my 300 in for the month. I should be able to do that if I can get in 75 or 80 this week.

Comment

• I'm getting used to the trainer, but am set on buying rollers as well. I really get good cadence training and like the virual experience. I don't like the "rigid" feeling of the back wheel locked in place, it feels unnatural. Today would be an ideal day for a ride, but sometimes even I have work to do. 6pm meeting ruins tonight as well. Tomorrow is leg day at the gym, maybe I'll gut out 20 after that. That said, my personal trainer at the gym is a leg freak; I crawl out of the gym crying for my mommy, so no guarantee I'll even be able to walk.

Comment

As for posting, I'm not going to post much. With the coaching crap you guys are enduring, the last thing you need to see is posts from some Omaha chuclehead. I hope your nightmare ends soon.
                          C'mon now. You know the fastest way to put a smile on a Shocker's face is to think about Omaha (2015 ChicKUnhawk slaughter - I WAS THERE) and then Creighton - in that order. :D

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

C'mon now. You know the fastest way to put a smile on a Shocker's face is to think about Omaha (2015 ChicKUnhawk slaughter - I WAS THERE) and then Creighton - in that order. :D
                            If you were there and didn't call me to party, I'm a little disappointed. Maybe a bit hurt, too. We would have ripped the town up!

Comment

If you were there and didn't call me to party, I'm a little disappointed. Maybe a bit hurt, too. We would have ripped the town up!
                              What town? It was totally vacant. The game was on a Sunday. :)

I did go to a little joint in the bar district for snacks and drinks tho. Maybe next time.

Comment

• 16 miles today on a almost chilly 53 degree day. Sunny so it didn't feel too bad. Was not a good week last week for outdoor riding. Swamped at work. Missed W-Th-F because of work and deadlines. Went in late one evening and worked Saturday (and it was raining so no outdoor cyclinig). Only 48 miles for the week, and now up to 233 for the month. Hope everyone is well.

Comment

Working...
                                X