No announcement yet.

Bicycle riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m still riding.... about 50 miles a week outdoor and 30 miles in cycle class. I did have the opportunity to ride a section of the Katy trail in Missouri last week. Really nice trail with nice scenery. I definitely want to get out and ride some
    more of it!

Comment

• Bicycling daily now. Just haven't been posting because I wasn't sure how many others were riding. Got in 392 miles the month of March. Almost 50 just the last 2 days. Hoping to reach 450-500 in April.

Comment

• That’s very impressive JV given the nonstop 25 mph winds we had for what seems like every day In March.

Comment

• Been really busy and haven't been online. Started doing some hill work. Only 18 miles today and the average speed sucked. That said, there was over 1,300 feet of incline and two hills had over 10° grades for short periods. Hit almost 40 mph on one downhill, could have gotten faster, but it was dicey riding. This loop is north of Omaha riding through bluffs. Yeah, I had to grind up a few hills, but I never stopped and never hit granny low. I'm gonna start training on this route, it's almost all riding on the shoulder of a highway, but the scenery was unbelievable and 1,300 feet of gain over 18 miles is a great challenge for a 57 year-old.
          Screenshot_20210418-213632_MapMyRide.jpg
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Been bicycling almost daily - rain has been the only problem and its only happened 3 times this month. Some days I even bike home and then bring the bike back in to work the next AM. Been some pretty chilly days This weekend was quite cool and windy, but we still got in some decent rides. Just got back from a ride this afternoon (and now back to work), only to notice the rubber peeling off my rear tire in large sections. And now it might snow tonight/tomorrow AM. If it dries up and I get to the bike shop tonight/tomorrow AM for new tire(s), I should still be able to get a ride in tomorrow in the cold. On track to easily break 400 miles for the month. Hope everyone is doing well.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              Been really busy and haven't been online. Started doing some hill work. Only 18 miles today and the average speed sucked. That said, there was over 1,300 feet of incline and two hills had over 10° grades for short periods. Hit almost 40 mph on one downhill, could have gotten faster, but it was dicey riding. This loop is north of Omaha riding through bluffs. Yeah, I had to grind up a few hills, but I never stopped and never hit granny low. I'm gonna start training on this route, it's almost all riding on the shoulder of a highway, but the scenery was unbelievable and 1,300 feet of gain over 18 miles is a great challenge for a 57 year-old.
              Screenshot_20210418-213632_MapMyRide.jpg
              Doing that Tulsa ride (if you're still planning on doing so), I can tell you you'll need a lot of time riding hills. Tulsa has some very hilly areas, and depending on the route you will be thankful for the time in the saddle....indoor riding won't get the same effect.

Comment

• We are hill training every weekend now. I'm starting to enjoy it. The Tulsa route has half of the elevation gain at three times the distance we rode Sunday. Still, we don't want to be 7 hours from home and not be able to finish, so distance runs during the week, and climbing bluffs on the weekend. Here is a couple of snapshots of hills we climbed. Screenshot_20210420-172352_MapMyRide.jpg
                Attached Files
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• There's an amazing documentary on the Tulsa Crit. Might be worth watching beforehand.

In this feature-length sequel to last year's American Crit, the men of Butcherbox Cycling are back for another whiplash season of USA CRITS racing.From the d...

In the second link, you can get a feel for the terrain and crowds, hills, and speeds traveled during the course that year:

Good stuff for those who understand how difficult racing is on a bicycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                    There's an amazing documentary on the Tulsa Crit. Might be worth watching beforehand.

In this feature-length sequel to last year's American Crit, the men of Butcherbox Cycling are back for another whiplash season of USA CRITS racing.From the d...

In the second link, you can get a feel for the terrain and crowds, hills, and speeds traveled during the course that year:

Good stuff for those who understand how difficult racing is on a bicycle.
                    We're doing the Gran Fondo on Saturday. 105 miles, not doing any racing. Watching the racing on Sunday and heckling at crybaby hill. We've already been busy geeking out the elevation changes, they actually are easier than riding around Omaha. To clarify, when I say "we" I mean my biking buddy. He is graphing out the whole course and building more challenging rides in Omaha. Here is a look at some of his work. Yeah, he's a geek.
                    IMG_20210421_152621.jpg

Comment

We're doing the Gran Fondo on Saturday. 105 miles, not doing any racing. Watching the racing on Sunday and heckling at crybaby hill. We've already been busy geeking out the elevation changes, they actually are easier than riding around Omaha. To clarify, when I say "we" I mean my biking buddy. He is graphing out the whole course and building more challenging rides in Omaha. Here is a look at some of his work. Yeah, he's a geek.
                      IMG_20210421_152621.jpg
                      If you expect me to believe for even a minute that the individuals riding the gran fondo will not be "racing".......Oh no, they'll be out the gate at the start. I would be disappointed if people weren't out racing. First "official" ride like that I ever did was as a 22 yr old college student (30 yrs ago) who was accustomed to running full court basketball for 4 hours a day. I had on a pair of bike shorts, a tank top and had a borrowed "bicycle" if you can call it that. They were out the gate full gas on a 50 mile ride. Took me and a buddy (Dave) almost 20 minutes to catch them. I was the first one back and waited almost 5 minutes for Dave and the rest of the "leaders" to get back to LD stadium. I bought a bicycle the next day and it was the best decision I ever made.

Yeah, you'll be "racing" or you'll be in a crowd of what's that guy doing and why can't she hold her line?

Comment

• Okay, we are planning a 12-14 mph pace. I don't call it racing. I've vowed to stay with my group, as I'm the strongest rider. My biggest problem with this is I absolutely cannot stand to be passed. It kills me! I need to focus on me and not the pack.

Two weeks ago, I did 50 miles. At about the 15 mile mark, this total douchebag passed me with a high end road bike with all Dura Ace components. I stayed right on his heels for 20 miles because, well nobody passes me. When he stopped, I was finally able to get back to a realistic pace. I gutted out the last 15, felt like I was gonna puke, but nobody passes me.

So, yeah, I can't have that mindset in Tulsa.

Comment

Okay, we are planning a 12-14 mph pace. I don't call it racing. I've vowed to stay with my group, as I'm the strongest rider. My biggest problem with this is I absolutely cannot stand to be passed. It kills me! I need to focus on me and not the pack.

Two weeks ago, I did 50 miles. At about the 15 mile mark, this total douchebag passed me with a high end road bike with all Dura Ace components. I stayed right on his heels for 20 miles because, well nobody passes me. When he stopped, I was finally able to get back to a realistic pace. I gutted out the last 15, felt like I was gonna puke, but nobody passes me.

So, yeah, I can't have that mindset in Tulsa.
                          Unless you're in with a group-only of retired like persons, there will be people out riding quickly. Especially at the start. Like the Borg on Star Trek say, resistance is futile. You either commit NOW to going no faster than your 15 mph max, or YOU WILL BE PASSED AND FRUSTRATED. You'll be in a big group, there will be a lot of nice bicycles and components on the bikes, probably a few ladies, testosterone will be flowing. The only way to guarantee your 15 mph max is to start at the VERY BACK of the line. If you start at the front, you will be passed. If you start in the middle, you will be passed.

Comment

• Found a brief 2 minute highlight video of the thing you are riding. Scenery is beautiful. (in spots) This was the middle distance ride, not the longer.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                              Found a brief 2 minute highlight video of the thing you are riding. Scenery is beautiful. (in spots) This was the middle distance ride, not the longer.

"Need Weed
                              Will Sing
                              Naked 4 $1"
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

"Need Weed
                                Will Sing
                                Naked 4 $1"
                                I saw that too. As far as "crybaby hill" is concerned....here's another short video to watch. Coverage of the hill starts at 03:30. You kind of get an idea of what the fine citizens of Tulsa will bring to the race. Don't know what to expect in these uncertain times.

The 2nd episode takes the team to Tulsa Tough, where they really get descriptive about some of cycling's bad terms. The heat and humidity brings crit racing ...

But you'd miss the girls shoving packages of ice down their shirts to try and keep cool during the race if you skip the entire video.

Comment

Working...
                                X